Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default 1884 Novel mentions Yellow Teas

In another book I am reading this passage is referenced in a book
called Against The Grain by Huysmans:

http://tinyurl.com/28odbuw

I looked at my lists of yellow teas and couldnt come up with anything
matching si-a-fayoun, mo-you-tann, khansky. I do have kekecha yellow
tea which might pair with khansky. BaiMuDan white tea might pair with
mo-you-tann. I cant think of anything with si-a-fayoun. I just
thought it interesting with such a early reference to yellow teas
perse. I have some see through bone china cups. I would have trouble
replacing them.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Space Cowboy > writes:

> In another book I am reading this passage is referenced in a book
> called Against The Grain by Huysmans:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/28odbuw
>
> I looked at my lists of yellow teas and couldnt come up with anything
> matching si-a-fayoun, mo-you-tann, khansky. I do have kekecha yellow
> tea which might pair with khansky. BaiMuDan white tea might pair with
> mo-you-tann. I cant think of anything with si-a-fayoun. I just
> thought it interesting with such a early reference to yellow teas
> perse. I have some see through bone china cups. I would have trouble
> replacing them.

It might be extremely hard to track down those tea names due to multiple
transliterations. But here's evidence that yellow tea was known in
Russia as early as 1861:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...an&hl=en&gl=us

And, if any Western author would have found out early about something as
recondite as yellow tea, it would be Huysmans, I suppose.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Nice link. Which made me think Russia wouldnt need to buy tea from
England when they should have had an historical overland connection
with China which Ive never seen mentioned in books. Where is Sasha
when you need him. He is one person I miss of the many who have come
and gone.

Jim

On May 29, 3:19 pm, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> Space Cowboy > writes:
> > In another book I am reading this passage is referenced in a book
> > called Against The Grain by Huysmans:
> >http://tinyurl.com/28odbuw

....a rose is a rose...

Yellow Tea [email protected] Tea 5 21-12-2008 11:58 AM
Industry Packed teas or loose teas? STJones Tea 5 06-02-2006 02:24 PM
My first yellow tea Space Cowboy Tea 19 04-11-2005 09:15 AM
Yellow Fat? dwacon General Cooking 10 09-07-2005 07:17 PM
Good article and it mentions Andy Smith... Bob Pastorio Historic 7 04-11-2003 12:43 PM