FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   a beautiful name (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/396232-beautiful-name.html)

icetea 03-05-2010 02:43 PM

a beautiful name

"$BElJ}H~?MCc(B" I have seen some other translations for this, asian/
eastern...translating can be such a pain. How does the asian community
think about the traditional english name "oriental beauty tea"?

Scott Dorsey 04-05-2010 06:44 PM

a beautiful name

In article >,
icetea > wrote:
>"$BElJ}H~?MCc(B" I have seen some other translations for this, asian/
>eastern...translating can be such a pain. How does the asian community
>think about the traditional english name "oriental beauty tea"?

A lot of the 18th century trade names are pretty bizarre. "Oriental Beauty"
and "Young Hyson" have a long history in the west but in Asia they are just
found to be silly.
--scott

Space Cowboy 04-05-2010 11:35 PM

a beautiful name

Young Hyson is the pidgin for the chinese characters $B1+A0(B $Bt&=U(B yuqian
xichun. In the Chinese stores Ive seen 'Eastern Beauty' more than
'Oriental Beauty' as an English description.

Jim

Lewis Perin 09-05-2010 09:12 PM

a beautiful name

Space Cowboy > writes:

> Young Hyson is the pidgin for the chinese characters 雨前 熙春 yuqian
> xichun. In the Chinese stores Ive seen 'Eastern Beauty' more than
> 'Oriental Beauty' as an English description.

雨前 (before the rains) and 熙春 (something like "splendid springtime")
both show up in Chinese tea parlance. But if you google for 雨前熙春 as
a single entity, you'll basically come up empty.[1] So if Young Hyson
really is a transliteration of those Chinese characters, then those
early Western tea traders must have been more clueless than I imagined.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
[1]You'll see some bogus hits with commas between the second and third
characters.

Space Cowboy 10-05-2010 01:30 PM

a beautiful name

Here is a file of chinese tea terms that will help.

http://tinyurl.com/28utana

You will find references to 'before the rain' and 'hyson'. I dont
think there is any problem with the characters for hyson which can be
verified. If you look elsewhere you will find English references to
'before the rain' when they talk about hyson.

When you put the two together you get the pinyin:
Yǔqián xīchūn

Remember pidgin is a mimic of southern Cantonese not northern HanYu.
I can see the 'young' and 'hyson'. We are trying to account for the
English trade term. I think the Chinese just use 'hyson' and the
redundant 'young' became part of the parlance. Later flushes of hyson
change name altogether.

This is my research. I wasnt happy with what Wikipedia said on the
subject.

Jim

Space Cowboy 14-05-2010 03:02 PM

a beautiful name

AKA 膨風 or 掽风,碰风 depending on the Taiwan county.

Jim