FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   cook with tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/394840-cook-tea.html)

Tracy007 19-03-2010 06:39 AM

cook with tea

Hi,

I'm a little puzzled,i read a massege,that someone cook with tea,i want to ask ,is it healthy?

thanks

SN 20-03-2010 12:38 AM

cook with tea

cook with tea, therefore = healthy? not necessarily.

its not unhealthy
its not toxic
its not dangerous

its more healthy than 1 cup of butter,
its more healthy than 1 cup of cream
its more healthy than 1 cup of sugar

Space Cowboy 20-03-2010 02:15 PM

cook with tea

There are plenty of tea based recipes for whatever genre of food. Id
say people are using it for flavoring and color. Plus it doesnt have
any partially hydrogenated vegetable oil :-). However I dont know what
they use in those pan fry skillets when they roast tea.

Jim

Scott Dorsey 25-03-2010 01:50 AM

cook with tea

Tracy007 > wrote:

>I'm a little puzzled,i read a massege,that someone cook with tea,i want
>to ask ,is it healthy?

Who knows?

Nobody really knows what is healthy. All the things I was told were healthy
when I was a child turn out to be bad for you, and all the things I was told
were bad for you turn out to be good.

Whoever thought that olive oil and wine would be good for you and smoking
would be harmful?

But, what I _do_ know is that Burmese tea leaf salad tastes excellent.
And the best place to get it in North America is at the Mandalay Cafe in
Silver Spring, MD. which has to also be one of my favorite restaurants in
the DC area.
--scott

Scott Dorsey 25-03-2010 01:51 AM

cook with tea

SN > wrote:
>cook with tea, therefore = healthy? not necessarily.
>
>its not unhealthy
>its not toxic
>its not dangerous

Not dangerous? Clearly you've never scalded yourself with a cup of the
stuff like I have.
--scott

bbh2o 25-03-2010 11:45 AM

cook with tea

is this a seriuos question?
> Whoever thought that olive oil and wine would be good for you and smoking
> would be harmful?

kind regards,
bonifacio barrio hijosa
http://worldoftea.iespana.es/

Space Cowboy 25-03-2010 04:28 PM

cook with tea

I remember when Tobacco was promoted as a healthy habit. Wine was
associated with 'winos'. I remember my first and last bottle of
MadDog 20/20. All cooking oil was equally bad until the discovery of
polly unsaturated fats.

Jim

hellohello 29-03-2010 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SN (Post 1453486)
cook with tea, therefore = healthy? not necessarily.

its not unhealthy
its not toxic
its not dangerous

its more healthy than 1 cup of butter,
its more healthy than 1 cup of cream
its more healthy than 1 cup of sugar

so your point is it's kinda healthy .so we can try it,right?

Scott Dorsey 29-03-2010 09:21 PM

cook with tea

Space Cowboy > wrote:
>Unfortunately Ive never been able to determine what dire medical
>condition my last cup of tea prevented.

Tea deficiency.
--scott

dogma_i 30-03-2010 02:33 AM

Hope and connection through the looming darkness

Just watched the stunning if inscrutable film "The Magus." Quite a
contrast to Senor Quinn in Requiem for a Heavyweight, and just as
brilliantly acted.

In it, he cites as a T'ang Dynasty poem:

"Here on the frontier, there are falling leaves
although my neighbors are all barbarians
and you, you are a thousand miles away
there are always two cups on my table."

These lines are quoted all over the web, but without more definitive
attribution. Does anyone here have more precise information?

Thanks-

DM

xiang 30-03-2010 11:44 AM

I am also confused after reading "cook with Tea ".but you can take tea while cooking at one side you are cooking and other side you have a tea.

Space Cowboy 30-03-2010 02:50 PM

Hope and connection through the looming darkness

Ill see if I can find the Chinese character equivalent of this poem
and maybe see who it is attributed too. Ill let you know one way or
the other in the next day or so.

Jim

Space Cowboy 30-03-2010 08:23 PM

Hope and connection through the looming darkness

No luck. Sorry.

Jim

j h 31-03-2010 04:38 PM

Hope and connection through the looming darkness

This is not much more information but here goes. I received that
quotation on a postcard nearly 10 years ago, and it became refrigerator
art. Attribution given is: 'Anon. T'ang Dynasty 618-906 A.D.'

The postcard was published by a Susan Branch, possibly from Martha's
Vineyard, for what it's worth. jh

Space Cowboy 31-03-2010 09:47 PM

Hope and connection through the looming darkness

I just went through 5 books on Tang poems page by page at a private
university library. Its not in there. I also didnt see any other
poems on tea, wine yes. From what I understand the poems dont rhyme.
They have the same number of characters per line usually five.

Jim

hellohello 12-04-2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy007 (Post 1453155)
Hi,

I'm a little puzzled,i read a massege,that someone cook with tea,i want to ask ,is it healthy?

thanks

well, my answer is in the affirmative.
it is not only healthy but also helpful to maintain health.