FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   A Dong Ding drain dredger (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/394497-dong-ding-drain-dredger.html)

Space Cowboy 08-03-2010 02:47 PM

A Dong Ding drain dredger

I dont have too many Taiwan teas officially labeled Dong Ding WuLong
(large cursive chinese letters). Most of what I have is labeled
Taiwan High Mtn (small letters) with the name of a mountain or area.

http://i49.tinypic.com/24oar.jpg

This came sealed in silver nitrogen pack for freshness. The bottom of
the tin said packed 12/11/09. It is from a company called YungAn in
TaiPei with little internet information.

When I broke the seal there was a subtle dry aroma. The brew was
entirely different, filling the nose, washing the tongue, coating the
throat, almost intoxicating. It is a forgivable brew. I cant imagine
anyone not liking this tea. It is for people who tried a tea once and
didnt like it.

The small leaves are from top of the plant picked two to a stem. If
you can read the red trademark in Chinese typo sequence it says er gan
cha jian two stem tea tip. There is a slight slimey residue
asssociated with young leaf. That is about 2g of dry leaf. With this
tea all you have to do is count the nuggets for accuracy. In this
picture I got the leaves out of the cup. I couldnt get them back in
for another cup without crushing. With these leaves I would only use
a disposal with a plugged P trap. When I toss mine they hit the
spring bedding plants. These leaves will make a nice protective mulch
for a late freeze.

The best part $7/100g. The tin is of such quality with beveled
recessed lip it would cost $5 by itself in the store. This is one of
those teas I will stock to make sure I never run out. There was a
Jasmine and Osmanthus version of this which I consider just for
comparing scented versus unscented of the same leaf. This is another
great example of a commercial tea from a Taiwan company. This Dong
Ding is now my favorite exceeding the Good Young company which Ive
previously mentioned.

Jim

Space Cowboy 10-03-2010 04:26 PM

A Dong Ding drain dredger

On Mar 8, 6:47 am, Space Cowboy > wrote:
...You talkin to me....

Here is my Good Young Dong Ding:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2wndcur.jpg

These leaves are bigger and older than the YungAn. Often three to a
stem. These two Dong Dings are different enough in aroma and taste.
This is a more narrow in taste profile. The multiple infusions fade
faster. When I bought my life time supply it was $10/100g. The two
characters in the red oval say jingxuan or handpicked. I would say
all Dong Ding is handpicked.

Jim

Lewis Perin 10-03-2010 05:03 PM

A Dong Ding drain dredger

Space Cowboy > writes:

> On Mar 8, 6:47 am, Space Cowboy > wrote:
> ..You talkin to me....
>
> Here is my Good Young Dong Ding:
>
> http://i41.tinypic.com/2wndcur.jpg
>
> These leaves are bigger and older than the YungAn. Often three to a
> stem. These two Dong Dings are different enough in aroma and taste.
> This is a more narrow in taste profile. The multiple infusions fade
> faster. When I bought my life time supply it was $10/100g. The two
> characters in the red oval say jingxuan or handpicked. I would say
> all Dong Ding is handpicked.

At ten cents a gram? In Taiwan?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Space Cowboy 10-03-2010 06:41 PM

A Dong Ding drain dredger

The YungAn was seven cents a gram. Outrageous.

Jim

hellohello 29-03-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Cowboy (Post 1447735)
[...]

Welcome to 5K Tea - Chinese tea, green, black, oolong, pu erh may be a suitable place for you .you can buy many types of tea at a low cost.

Tea Aroma 07-04-2010 08:56 PM

A Dong Ding drain dredger

for the dong ding tea, it is the most famous oolong tea.
the charming thing is its light fruit flavor ,sweet taste with the
tongue after the entrance.

http://www.tearoma.us/product/taiwan...-2oz-pre-order