Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Bogus ... hardware

I just read a recent post on a blog I follow that's written by a
computer hardware designer - perhaps most famous for the Chumby - who
spends a lot of his time close to his sources, which is to say, in
China. The subject is his experience with a shipment of fake flash
memory, and his experience has a lot of parallels with, say, buying
fake Pu'er cakes:

http://www.google.com/reader/view/?t...%3Ffeed%3Drss2

(I read the blog via RSS. I'd happily give the normal URL for the
blog, but it isn't working now.)

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

in the blog:
http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=918

kind regards,
bonifacio barrio hijosa
http://worldoftea.iespana.es/

On Feb 16, 8:10*pm, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> I just read a recent post on a blog I follow that's written by a
> computer hardware designer - perhaps most famous for the Chumby - who
> spends a lot of his time close to his sources, which is to say, in
> China. *The subject is his experience with a shipment of fake flash
> memory, and his experience has a lot of parallels with, say, buying
> fake Pu'er cakes:
>
> *http://www.google.com/reader/view/?t...Fhttp%3A%2F%2F...
>
> (I read the blog via RSS. *I'd happily give the normal URL for the
> blog, but it isn't working now.)
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

In the US the relationship between a business and a supplier are
nearly sacrosanct. A problem like this would be resolved between the
supplier and manufacturer. This guy is in China apparently buying
parts off the blackmarket so he can save a buck which doesnt
necessarily get passed on to the consumer. He deserves what he gets.
The S on my Kingstons are broken. I can get a pair of 2gig at Big
Lots for $8. You also hear the fake Menghai is better than the real
deal. I bailed out of the market in 2005 when I paid $50 for a kilo
that use to cost me $10. As far as I can tell it still is
overinflated. I do give China credit they will execute their white
collar criminals. The tainted milk guys are gone. We need more of
that in this country to keep Wall Street in check. Madoff wouldnt die
in a country club cell.

Jim

PS Your link brought up something called Google Reader on FireFox
Linux which I hadnt seen before. There were advertisements at the top
before the article.

On Feb 16, 12:10 pm, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> I just read a recent post on a blog I follow that's written by a
> computer hardware designer - perhaps most famous for the Chumby - who
> spends a lot of his time close to his sources, which is to say, in
> China. The subject is his experience with a shipment of fake flash
> memory, and his experience has a lot of parallels with, say, buying
> fake Pu'er cakes:
>
> http://www.google.com/reader/view/?t...Fhttp%3A%2F%2F...
>
> (I read the blog via RSS. I'd happily give the normal URL for the
> blog, but it isn't working now.)
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Space Cowboy > writes:

> In the US the relationship between a business and a supplier are
> nearly sacrosanct. A problem like this would be resolved between the
> supplier and manufacturer. This guy is in China apparently buying
> parts off the blackmarket so he can save a buck which doesnt
> necessarily get passed on to the consumer. He deserves what he
> gets.

No, he was buying from an authorized distributor. If you read more of
his blog, I think you'd see he's an ethical guy.

> [...]
> PS Your link brought up something called Google Reader on FireFox
> Linux which I hadnt seen before. There were advertisements at the top
> before the article.

It's a convenient way to check blogs that aren't updated terribly often.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I read that article more than once. Why didnt his distributor
refund,exchange,whatever his KSDs. At the minimum HE IS in China and
complaining about the supply chain. If he is laying it at the feet of
Kingston he better have a good Chinese lawyer. If he is really making
anything of value his biggest problem is property theft and
duplication.

Jim

On Feb 17, 11:26 am, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> Space Cowboy > writes:
> > In the US the relationship between a business and a supplier are
> > nearly sacrosanct. A problem like this would be resolved between the
> > supplier and manufacturer. This guy is in China apparently buying
> > parts off the blackmarket so he can save a buck which doesnt
> > necessarily get passed on to the consumer. He deserves what he
> > gets.

> No, he was buying from an authorized distributor. If you read more of
> his blog, I think you'd see he's an ethical guy.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin > wrote:
>Space Cowboy > writes:
>
>> In the US the relationship between a business and a supplier are
>> nearly sacrosanct. A problem like this would be resolved between the
>> supplier and manufacturer. This guy is in China apparently buying
>> parts off the blackmarket so he can save a buck which doesnt
>> necessarily get passed on to the consumer. He deserves what he
>> gets.

>No, he was buying from an authorized distributor. If you read more of
>his blog, I think you'd see he's an ethical guy.

This is pretty much normal. You should see what it's like in the
aftermarket electronics world.

I was at a hamfest not too long ago where a man was selling some brand
new 211 tubes with the old RCA logo on them and "Made In America" stamped
on the side. Someone asked the vendor if they really were made in America,
and he said, "No, that's from the Shugang plant in China, they just stamp
that crap on the side of all of them."
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

interesting and detailed teardown analysis
would like to see detailed technical like that in the tea world

About the hardware purchase? yufei Restaurants 1 10-04-2011 06:30 AM
Hardware Brooklyn1 General Cooking 0 04-03-2011 01:33 PM
Cheap Hardware [email protected] General Cooking 2 23-09-2007 09:44 PM
Bigfoot or Bogus? Jason Historic 2 11-08-2005 03:27 AM
Bogus Baklava Michael General Cooking 52 20-12-2004 06:47 PM