Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default flavoured tea & purists?

I don't want to open up a can of worms (or do I?) but I was curious how
prople felt in general about flavoured tea? By that I mean things like
"pomegranate white tea" and things like that.

While often lower quality tea (and not even much of that) I still find
that I enjoy some flavoured teas after dinner, while I generally drink
purebloods during the day.

Are many people here purists who think this blasphemy? or is there room
for even the odd mixes in your life?

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ ...><((((º>
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 12:26:40 -0500, Warren > wrote:

> Are many people here purists who think this blasphemy? or is there room
> for even the odd mixes in your life?

I'll drink the stuff, but mostly only if it is the only thing on hand.
It's not like it is bad, but it doesn't give me the same satisfaction as
straight up tea does.

Aaron W. Hsu

--
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

blasphemy !!!!!!!!!!

....except for jasmine and earl grey

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

In article >, Warren > wrote:
>I don't want to open up a can of worms (or do I?) but I was curious how
>prople felt in general about flavoured tea? By that I mean things like
>"pomegranate white tea" and things like that.
>
>While often lower quality tea (and not even much of that) I still find
>that I enjoy some flavoured teas after dinner, while I generally drink
>purebloods during the day.
>
>Are many people here purists who think this blasphemy? or is there room
>for even the odd mixes in your life?

I think conceptually they aren't a bad idea, but unfortunately in most
cases they wind up being pretty nasty. Many of them appear to be designed
to appeal to people who believe tea is good for them but who don't like
tea.

That said, I have been very impressed with ITC's osmanthus tea, and I will
occasionally drink a jasmine or lotus tea.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I like apple juice, but will drink a mulled cider. Similarly, there
are times when a tea/tisane mixture seems right. I have a spiced
Christmas tea I often drink in December. Iced tea often tastes right
with lemon or peppermint. Toci

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I prefer adding dried fruits and flowers. My favorite these days
American honeysuckle. In the old days I think scents were used with
inferior teas. I am always suspicious of scents from something I cant
see. My local tea shoppe sells it share of scented teas. I buy them
when they dont sell. They tasted good with my last cold. I think
nowadays nothing wrong with the base tea. I think sooner or later
someone wonders what tea taste like without the scent. Once you learn
each tea has its own aroma and flavor you dont need scents. Some
Darjeeling is so pathetic you should add a drop of muscatel wine.

Jim

On Feb 5, 10:26 am, Warren > wrote:
> I don't want to open up a can of worms (or do I?) but I was curious how
> prople felt in general about flavoured tea? By that I mean things like
> "pomegranate white tea" and things like that.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> Are many people here purists who think this blasphemy? or is there room
> for even the odd mixes in your life?

I really like King's 509 Dark Superfine. Other flavored teas do not
do it for me. ~grasshopper
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 15:23:41 -0500, SN > wrote:

> jasmine and earl grey

I would say that jasmine and earl grey, but especially earl grey, are poor
examples of flavored teas. :-) I don't consider those good examples of tea
in general.

Aaron W. Hsu

--
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I was in Teavana yesterday. They were selling some scented teas 50%
off. That gives me hope nobody is drinking the stuff.

Jim

On Feb 6, 11:45 pm, "Aaron W. Hsu" > wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 15:23:41 -0500, SN > wrote:
> > jasmine and earl grey

> I would say that jasmine and earl grey, but especially earl grey, are poor
> examples of flavored teas. :-) I don't consider those good examples of tea
> in general.
>
> Aaron W. Hsu
>
> --
> A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> Are many people here purists who think this blasphemy? or is there room
> for even the odd mixes in your life?

Oh... also... what's the point of flavoring a white tea? They are sufficiently
subtle that the tea flavour is pretty much lost when you add anything to it.
Then again, maybe that's the point. Sheesh.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Grasshopper > writes:

> > Are many people here purists who think this blasphemy? or is there room
> > for even the odd mixes in your life?

> I really like King's 509 Dark Superfine. Other flavored teas do not
> do it for me. ~grasshopper

I like Kam Wo (or Gan He, in Mandarian), which mixes Pu'er and Chinese
herbs. It's supposedly medicinal but, at least in the version from
Best Tea House in Hong Kong, really tastes good.

Also, osmanthus oolong can be nice.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Feb 5, 12:26*pm, Warren > wrote:
> I don't want to open up a can of worms (or do I?) but I was curious how
> prople felt in general about flavoured tea? By that I mean things like
> "pomegranate white tea" and things like that.
>
> While often lower quality tea (and not even much of that) I still find
> that I enjoy some flavoured teas after dinner, while I generally drink
> purebloods during the day.
>
> Are many people here purists who think this blasphemy? or is there room
> for even the odd mixes in your life?
>
> --
> HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/The Sushi FAQ ...><((((º>
> HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/The Sushi Otaku Blog
> HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiyapedia/Sushi-Ya-Pedia Restaurant Finder
> HTTP://www.theteafaq.com/The Tea FAQ
> HTTP://www.jerkyfaq.com/The Jerky FAQ
> HTTP://www.omega3faq.com/The Omega 3 Fatty Acids FAQ

I think that drinking the "Fruitty" stuff doesn't rise to the level of
blasphemy, It is however,to coin a phrase, "Not my Cup O' tea." That
being said, I truly do not mind a fruit flavoured tea as long as the
tea is a quality whole, loose leaf tea and there are dehydrated pieces
of the fruit in the mix. Several years ago I had a Ceylon White Tea
with Mango and found that tea absolutely wonderful. Unfortunately have
not found that tea since then, but would make it a regular purchase
should i be able to find it once again.

Mike
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 21:10:24 -0500, bcpdsfinest >
wrote:

> I truly do not mind a fruit flavoured tea as long as the
> tea is a quality whole, loose leaf tea and there are dehydrated pieces
> of the fruit in the mix.

I'd say this is the heart of the problem with flavored teas. Usually, they
aren't high quality teas, and they usually don't have really quality fruit
in them either. The flavoring is often a mix of artificial and natural
flavors, processed who knows how many times, and the tea sometimes
wouldn't even pass muster at Lipton.

Aaron W. Hsu

--
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2010-02-08, Aaron W. Hsu > wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 21:10:24 -0500, bcpdsfinest > wrote:

>> I truly do not mind a fruit flavoured tea as long as the tea is a
>> quality whole, loose leaf tea and there are dehydrated pieces of the
>> fruit in the mix.

> I'd say this is the heart of the problem with flavored teas. Usually,
> they aren't high quality teas, and they usually don't have really
> quality fruit in them either. The flavoring is often a mix of
> artificial and natural flavors, processed who knows how many times,
> and the tea sometimes wouldn't even pass muster at Lipton.

I think the reason for this is mostly that people who are serious about
tea generally don't drink this stuff. And if you really must, it's
probably safer / better to mix your own.

What I would suggest is that people who drink these kind of teas look
for unscented / unflavored teas which naturally have similar qualities
to the flavored teas they like.

--
Multi-lingual forum for Chinese and Japanese tea and teawa
http://teadrunk.org/

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2/7/2010 10:46 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> Are many people here purists who think this blasphemy? or is there room
>> for even the odd mixes in your life?

> Oh... also... what's the point of flavoring a white tea? They are sufficiently
> subtle that the tea flavour is pretty much lost when you add anything to it.
> Then again, maybe that's the point. Sheesh.
> --scott

I agree. I always assumed that the flavoured white teas were merely
catering to people who don't drink tea because they like tea, but want
the proposed health benefits from it (and which is probably
conspicuously absent in the blends which have very little actual tea in
them).

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ ...><((((º>
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiyapedia/ Sushi-Ya-Pedia Restaurant Finder
HTTP://www.theteafaq.com/ The Tea FAQ
HTTP://www.jerkyfaq.com/ The Jerky FAQ
HTTP://www.omega3faq.com/ The Omega 3 Fatty Acids FAQ

Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren[_9_] View Post
I don't want to open up a can of worms (or do I?) but I was curious how
prople felt in general about flavoured tea? By that I mean things like
"pomegranate white tea" and things like that.

While often lower quality tea (and not even much of that) I still find
that I enjoy some flavoured teas after dinner, while I generally drink
purebloods during the day.

Are many people here purists who think this blasphemy? or is there room
for even the odd mixes in your life?

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ ...((((º
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiyapedia/ Sushi-Ya-Pedia Restaurant Finder
HTTP://www.theteafaq.com/ The Tea FAQ
HTTP://www.jerkyfaq.com/ The Jerky FAQ
HTTP://www.omega3faq.com/ The Omega 3 Fatty Acids FAQ
there are many tea types and flavours .green tea is good for blocking cancer,oolong tea can help lose weight.so you really should try different types of tea drinking.
www.5ktea.com, the number-one Chinese online teashop ,enjoys the reputation for the best teas and services.
Experienced Member

[...]

yea, i quite agree with you.
tea is unique in taste and it should not mix with something else
www.5ktea.com, the number-one Chinese online teashop ,enjoys the reputation for the best teas and services.