FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   Refuse Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/392168-refuse-tea.html)

Christa[_2_] 20-12-2009 07:04 PM

Refuse Tea

My father recently went on a trip to Sri Lanka and visited a tea
production facility (I think for my benefit - thanks, Dad!). He sent
me photos and told me that there was one category which was called
"Refuse Tea" - it is the waste produced during the manufacture of tea,
and used mainly for fertilizer, and not sold for human consumption (I
hope!)

I looked online for more information, and only came to sites that
concerned Sri Lanka (mostly scientific papers on how to exploit the
use of refuse tea, as it appears to be a problem for that country).
But I haven't heard or seen anything about the refuse that is produced
in any other tea-producing countries...surely it must happen in China,
Japan or India too? What do other countries do with the waste by-
product? Anyone know?

niisonge 20-12-2009 07:38 PM

Refuse Tea

> in any other tea-producing countries...surely it must happen in China,
> Japan or India too? *What do other countries do with the waste by-
> product? *Anyone know?

In China, they sell it to other people/businesses to convert into
other products.