El Gerbo

Default Beer brewer needs help with bergamot

I'm a homebrewer and would like to use bergamot in a recipe. I've
been looking for bergamot oil, but everything I find is intended for
aromatherapeutic (ie external) use.

What kind of bergamot oil is used to flavor earl gray? Do any of you
know sources for food grade bergamot?

Thanks!

Eric
Steve Hay

El Gerbo wrote:
> I'm a homebrewer and would like to use bergamot in a recipe. I've
> been looking for bergamot oil, but everything I find is intended for
> aromatherapeutic (ie external) use.
>
> What kind of bergamot oil is used to flavor earl gray? Do any of you
> know sources for food grade bergamot?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric

You just want the oil? What kiind of beer are you brewing, if I may ask?
Steve Hay

El Gerbo wrote:
> I'm a homebrewer and would like to use bergamot in a recipe. I've
> been looking for bergamot oil, but everything I find is intended for
> aromatherapeutic (ie external) use.
>
> What kind of bergamot oil is used to flavor earl gray? Do any of you
> know sources for food grade bergamot?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric

You just want the oil? What kiind of beer are you brewing, if I may ask?
Alex Chaihorsky

You should call it Budgreyser.

Sasha.

"El Gerbo" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm a homebrewer and would like to use bergamot in a recipe. I've
> been looking for bergamot oil, but everything I find is intended for
> aromatherapeutic (ie external) use.
>
> What kind of bergamot oil is used to flavor earl gray? Do any of you
> know sources for food grade bergamot?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric

Alex Chaihorsky

You should call it Budgreyser.

Sasha.

"El Gerbo" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm a homebrewer and would like to use bergamot in a recipe. I've
> been looking for bergamot oil, but everything I find is intended for
> aromatherapeutic (ie external) use.
>
> What kind of bergamot oil is used to flavor earl gray? Do any of you
> know sources for food grade bergamot?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric

El Gerbo

It needn't be just the oil. I figured that would be the easiest thing
to find.

I'm brewing a Belgian Wit, the recipes for which often include orange
peel. I thought I'd try something a little different.

Thanks-
Eric

Steve Hay > wrote in message news:<BOPcd.4$106.0@trnddc03>...
> El Gerbo wrote:
> > I'm a homebrewer and would like to use bergamot in a recipe. I've
> > been looking for bergamot oil, but everything I find is intended for
> > aromatherapeutic (ie external) use.
> >
> > What kind of bergamot oil is used to flavor earl gray? Do any of you
> > know sources for food grade bergamot?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Eric

> You just want the oil? What kiind of beer are you brewing, if I may ask?

rderieux

Won't the oil have a bad effect of the head/head retantion of the Wit?

Are you putting in the boiling wort or in the secondary? If you put
it in the boiling wort won't the fragrance be diminished? Maybe
not...

How about using some Earl Grey?

I would suggest spliting the batch to see the difference.

Rene'

(El Gerbo) wrote in message . com>...
> I'm a homebrewer and would like to use bergamot in a recipe. I've
> been looking for bergamot oil, but everything I find is intended for
> aromatherapeutic (ie external) use.
>
> What kind of bergamot oil is used to flavor earl gray? Do any of you
> know sources for food grade bergamot?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric

rderieux

Won't the oil have a bad effect of the head/head retantion of the Wit?

Are you putting in the boiling wort or in the secondary? If you put
it in the boiling wort won't the fragrance be diminished? Maybe
not...

How about using some Earl Grey?

I would suggest spliting the batch to see the difference.

Rene'

(El Gerbo) wrote in message . com>...
> I'm a homebrewer and would like to use bergamot in a recipe. I've
> been looking for bergamot oil, but everything I find is intended for
> aromatherapeutic (ie external) use.
>
> What kind of bergamot oil is used to flavor earl gray? Do any of you
> know sources for food grade bergamot?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric

Steve Hay

rderieux wrote:
> Won't the oil have a bad effect of the head/head retantion of the Wit?
>
> Are you putting in the boiling wort or in the secondary? If you put
> it in the boiling wort won't the fragrance be diminished? Maybe
> not...
>
> How about using some Earl Grey?
>
> I would suggest spliting the batch to see the difference.

Using Earl Grey Tea would only add two elements rather than one, i.e.
the Oil and the Tea. While it is true that head retention can be an
issue with Beer brewed with Oily substances, such as chocolate, it is
done. I think some Roasted Barley (not much, maybe a few tablespoons)
helps with head retention. I wouldn't imagine the scent of the oil
would be strongly affected using Earl Grey as a control group. I would
suggest splitting on different amounts of oil. Finding out how much oil
is in a cup of tea might also be helpful for guessing an amount.

Steve
Steve Hay

rderieux wrote:
> Won't the oil have a bad effect of the head/head retantion of the Wit?
>
> Are you putting in the boiling wort or in the secondary? If you put
> it in the boiling wort won't the fragrance be diminished? Maybe
> not...
>
> How about using some Earl Grey?
>
> I would suggest spliting the batch to see the difference.

Using Earl Grey Tea would only add two elements rather than one, i.e.
the Oil and the Tea. While it is true that head retention can be an
issue with Beer brewed with Oily substances, such as chocolate, it is
done. I think some Roasted Barley (not much, maybe a few tablespoons)
helps with head retention. I wouldn't imagine the scent of the oil
would be strongly affected using Earl Grey as a control group. I would
suggest splitting on different amounts of oil. Finding out how much oil
is in a cup of tea might also be helpful for guessing an amount.

Steve

site for root beer brewer [email protected] General 1 06-03-2008 08:27 PM
FA: 1-Day-Left: 6 Books: BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER! (Beer Tasting, Logs, Drinking Games, etc.) Mike[_26_] Marketplace 0 07-07-2007 01:18 PM
Rosemary and Bergamot Tea Leila General Cooking 0 12-02-2006 10:57 PM
Glass Tea brewer? Koza Tea 0 17-02-2005 05:10 PM
bergamot Tom Koeppl Tea 8 24-01-2005 04:34 AM