FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   Beer brewer needs help with bergamot (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/39089-beer-brewer-needs-help.html)

El Gerbo 18-10-2004 02:11 PM

Beer brewer needs help with bergamot

I'm a homebrewer and would like to use bergamot in a recipe. I've
been looking for bergamot oil, but everything I find is intended for
aromatherapeutic (ie external) use.

What kind of bergamot oil is used to flavor earl gray? Do any of you
know sources for food grade bergamot?

Thanks!

Eric

Steve Hay 18-10-2004 02:46 PM

El Gerbo wrote:
> I'm a homebrewer and would like to use bergamot in a recipe. I've
> been looking for bergamot oil, but everything I find is intended for
> aromatherapeutic (ie external) use.
>
> What kind of bergamot oil is used to flavor earl gray? Do any of you
> know sources for food grade bergamot?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric

You just want the oil? What kiind of beer are you brewing, if I may ask?

Steve Hay 18-10-2004 02:46 PM

Alex Chaihorsky 18-10-2004 04:00 PM

You should call it Budgreyser.

Sasha.

om...

Alex Chaihorsky 18-10-2004 04:00 PM

You should call it Budgreyser.

Sasha.

om...

El Gerbo 19-10-2004 04:15 AM

It needn't be just the oil. I figured that would be the easiest thing
to find.

I'm brewing a Belgian Wit, the recipes for which often include orange
peel. I thought I'd try something a little different.

Thanks-
Eric

rderieux 21-10-2004 06:17 PM

Won't the oil have a bad effect of the head/head retantion of the Wit?

Are you putting in the boiling wort or in the secondary? If you put
it in the boiling wort won't the fragrance be diminished? Maybe
not...

How about using some Earl Grey?

I would suggest spliting the batch to see the difference.

Rene'

rderieux 21-10-2004 06:17 PM

Steve Hay 22-10-2004 01:15 AM

rderieux wrote:
> Won't the oil have a bad effect of the head/head retantion of the Wit?
>
> Are you putting in the boiling wort or in the secondary? If you put
> it in the boiling wort won't the fragrance be diminished? Maybe
> not...
>
> How about using some Earl Grey?
>
> I would suggest spliting the batch to see the difference.

Using Earl Grey Tea would only add two elements rather than one, i.e.
the Oil and the Tea. While it is true that head retention can be an
issue with Beer brewed with Oily substances, such as chocolate, it is
done. I think some Roasted Barley (not much, maybe a few tablespoons)
helps with head retention. I wouldn't imagine the scent of the oil
would be strongly affected using Earl Grey as a control group. I would
suggest splitting on different amounts of oil. Finding out how much oil
is in a cup of tea might also be helpful for guessing an amount.

Steve

Steve Hay 22-10-2004 01:15 AM