magnulus

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
m...
> > No, don't let the tea dry out between steepings. Don't use tea that's
> > more than a few hours old to resteep.

> Why? What is wrong with it? I resteep sometimes leaves that were sitting
> there for a day or two. I may have 5-6 different teas sitting in their
> chahus at the same time during the week and me resteeping them now and

then.
> Never a problem, never a disappointment.

De gustabus non disputandum. I just don't want to drink stuff that's sat
around for hours.

I'd imagine Reno has very low humidity. Here in the American South, stuff
starrts to turn bad in a couple of days if you let it set out on the counter
and it has moisture in it. It's so bad I keep my tea and coffee in a
cabinet with a few big buckets of moisture absorber- I just don't want it to
taste or smell musty at all. Spices in the cabinet will cake up in a month
or so. I suppose a de-humidifier would be the way to go, but that just uses
more power.

Alex Chaihorsky

Not just dry - extremely dry. All tea I bring from SF in bamboo containers
start cracking after just day or two and crackle for several days waking us
up occasionally.
But teas left in chahus remain quite moist and looking beautifully
silk-shimmering on teh surface of large leaves.
I may have 5-6 of them simultaneously sitting on the counter waiting to be
re-steeped. I usually re-steep green puerhs, ShuiXians and TeGuanYins up to
7 times.

Sasha.

"magnulus" > wrote in message
t...

> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
> m...
>> > No, don't let the tea dry out between steepings. Don't use tea that's
>> > more than a few hours old to resteep.

>> Why? What is wrong with it? I resteep sometimes leaves that were sitting
>> there for a day or two. I may have 5-6 different teas sitting in their
>> chahus at the same time during the week and me resteeping them now and

> then.
>> Never a problem, never a disappointment.

> De gustabus non disputandum. I just don't want to drink stuff that's
> sat
> around for hours.
>
> I'd imagine Reno has very low humidity. Here in the American South,
> stuff
> starrts to turn bad in a couple of days if you let it set out on the
> counter
> and it has moisture in it. It's so bad I keep my tea and coffee in a
> cabinet with a few big buckets of moisture absorber- I just don't want it
> taste or smell musty at all. Spices in the cabinet will cake up in a
> month
> or so. I suppose a de-humidifier would be the way to go, but that just
> uses
> more power.

Alex Chaihorsky

Not just dry - extremely dry. All tea I bring from SF in bamboo containers
start cracking after just day or two and crackle for several days waking us
up occasionally.
But teas left in chahus remain quite moist and looking beautifully
silk-shimmering on teh surface of large leaves.
I may have 5-6 of them simultaneously sitting on the counter waiting to be
re-steeped. I usually re-steep green puerhs, ShuiXians and TeGuanYins up to
7 times.

Sasha.

"magnulus" > wrote in message
t...

> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
> m...
>> > No, don't let the tea dry out between steepings. Don't use tea that's
>> > more than a few hours old to resteep.

>> Why? What is wrong with it? I resteep sometimes leaves that were sitting
>> there for a day or two. I may have 5-6 different teas sitting in their
>> chahus at the same time during the week and me resteeping them now and

> then.
>> Never a problem, never a disappointment.

> De gustabus non disputandum. I just don't want to drink stuff that's
> sat
> around for hours.
>
> I'd imagine Reno has very low humidity. Here in the American South,
> stuff
> starrts to turn bad in a couple of days if you let it set out on the
> counter
> and it has moisture in it. It's so bad I keep my tea and coffee in a
> cabinet with a few big buckets of moisture absorber- I just don't want it
> taste or smell musty at all. Spices in the cabinet will cake up in a
> month
> or so. I suppose a de-humidifier would be the way to go, but that just
> uses
> more power.

Lewis Perin

crymad > writes:

> Lewis Perin wrote:
> >
> > crymad > writes:

> > > Nowadays, with modern storage and quick retail turnover, it's not really
> > > a concern. Also, remember that a family of four can easily polish off a
> > > 20lb bag of rice in two weeks.

> > OK, so that 5 pound bag I bought today gets tightly sealed and
> > refrigerated, I guess.

> Does your rice happen to be Tamaki brand, in a thick brown bag?

Yes, I already responded, but at the time I probably wasn't
caffeinated enough to think to call my wife and get the authoritative
answer, which is "yes".

Does this matter?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin

crymad > writes:

> Lewis Perin wrote:
> >
> > crymad > writes:

> > > Nowadays, with modern storage and quick retail turnover, it's not really
> > > a concern. Also, remember that a family of four can easily polish off a
> > > 20lb bag of rice in two weeks.

> > OK, so that 5 pound bag I bought today gets tightly sealed and
> > refrigerated, I guess.

> Does your rice happen to be Tamaki brand, in a thick brown bag?

Yes, I already responded, but at the time I probably wasn't
caffeinated enough to think to call my wife and get the authoritative
answer, which is "yes".

Does this matter?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

crymad

Lewis Perin wrote:

> crymad > writes:
>

> > Does your rice happen to be Tamaki brand, in a thick brown bag?

> Yes, I already responded, but at the time I probably wasn't
> caffeinated enough to think to call my wife and get the authoritative
> answer, which is "yes".
>
> Does this matter?

We were just at the Japanese market a couple days ago saw an elderly
Japanese lady buying a big bag of this. She said mold growth isn't a
worry and that you don't have to store it in the refrigerator. Though
this rice may come with the mystery additives Kuri talked about, there
is no mention of it on the package in Japanese. Still, if you got the
room, refrigerator storage can't be beat.

--crymad
crymad

Lewis Perin wrote:

> crymad > writes:
>

> > Does your rice happen to be Tamaki brand, in a thick brown bag?

> Yes, I already responded, but at the time I probably wasn't
> caffeinated enough to think to call my wife and get the authoritative
> answer, which is "yes".
>
> Does this matter?

We were just at the Japanese market a couple days ago saw an elderly
Japanese lady buying a big bag of this. She said mold growth isn't a
worry and that you don't have to store it in the refrigerator. Though
this rice may come with the mystery additives Kuri talked about, there
is no mention of it on the package in Japanese. Still, if you got the
room, refrigerator storage can't be beat.

--crymad
crymad

Joseph Kubera wrote:

> crymad wrote:
>
> >But brown rice spoils quickly, especially in warmer climates. And it
> >takes twice the time -- and fuel -- to cook.

> I can't remember buying spoiled brown rice more than maybe once in my life, and
> I get the organic stuff from the large bins at the health food store. But,
> true, it does take twice the time.

Sorry -- didn't mean to dis brown rice. I was speaking more why Asians
historically never took a liking to brown rice.

> Also, brown rice is not a
> >joy to eat, giving one's jaws a workout with each musty, bitter, pasty
> >mouthful.

> Boy, were you shopping at the wrong store. And were you using enough water?
> Mine's delicious, but I do prefer the long grain which is less chewy than the
> short. Anyway, chacun a son gout.

These are just bad memories of my mother-in-law's pressure-cooked brown
rice. Not bought at a store, mind you -- her elderly parents grew it
themselves. I used to make a separate pot of brown and then mix it with
white in about a 1:3 ratio. I just might start doing this again.

I can't remember the last time I made long grain rice. Short grain is
just more "juicy". Even for Indian food, we use short grain, albeit a
less premium grade than what we use for Japanese food. Must do it pilaf
style, otherwise it turns out too sticky.

--crymad
crymad

Joseph Kubera wrote:

> crymad wrote:
>
> >But brown rice spoils quickly, especially in warmer climates. And it
> >takes twice the time -- and fuel -- to cook.

> I can't remember buying spoiled brown rice more than maybe once in my life, and
> I get the organic stuff from the large bins at the health food store. But,
> true, it does take twice the time.

Sorry -- didn't mean to dis brown rice. I was speaking more why Asians
historically never took a liking to brown rice.

> Also, brown rice is not a
> >joy to eat, giving one's jaws a workout with each musty, bitter, pasty
> >mouthful.

> Boy, were you shopping at the wrong store. And were you using enough water?
> Mine's delicious, but I do prefer the long grain which is less chewy than the
> short. Anyway, chacun a son gout.

These are just bad memories of my mother-in-law's pressure-cooked brown
rice. Not bought at a store, mind you -- her elderly parents grew it
themselves. I used to make a separate pot of brown and then mix it with
white in about a 1:3 ratio. I just might start doing this again.

I can't remember the last time I made long grain rice. Short grain is
just more "juicy". Even for Indian food, we use short grain, albeit a
less premium grade than what we use for Japanese food. Must do it pilaf
style, otherwise it turns out too sticky.

--crymad
cc

"crymad" > wrote in message

> This is news to me. What sort of additives?

Vitamines, minerals...all the stuff that guaranties you not to get
Alzheimer.

>Do they come off during the routine rinsing just before cooking?

It's pre-rinsed. Well, most germed rice I see for sell is produced by
industrial vitamin food companies (fancl, etc) and it tastes un-natural to
me. The exceptions are the overpriced bio-versions that are humid and in
special 1 cup packages. I have had molds as I used only half of the bio
version and kept the rest in a normal box.
As you said, I don't need that as my diet is balanced, so I have not been
following the latest inventions. I've just seen that for 100 000 yen, you
can buy a rice cooker that germinates the rice in 48 days before cooking it.
They really needed a pretext to ask that much for a cooker.
I eat normal brown rice for taste, and because I like changing. I also
occasionnally cook farro (spelt ?), buckwheat, etc. The "brown rice program"
of the rice cooker is adapted to those grains and to soaked beans, but I
find it too strong for regular brown rice....unless you want it
disgustlingly "yawarakai".

Kuri

cc

"crymad" > wrote in message

> This is news to me. What sort of additives?

Vitamines, minerals...all the stuff that guaranties you not to get
Alzheimer.

>Do they come off during the routine rinsing just before cooking?

It's pre-rinsed. Well, most germed rice I see for sell is produced by
industrial vitamin food companies (fancl, etc) and it tastes un-natural to
me. The exceptions are the overpriced bio-versions that are humid and in
special 1 cup packages. I have had molds as I used only half of the bio
version and kept the rest in a normal box.
As you said, I don't need that as my diet is balanced, so I have not been
following the latest inventions. I've just seen that for 100 000 yen, you
can buy a rice cooker that germinates the rice in 48 days before cooking it.
They really needed a pretext to ask that much for a cooker.
I eat normal brown rice for taste, and because I like changing. I also
occasionnally cook farro (spelt ?), buckwheat, etc. The "brown rice program"
of the rice cooker is adapted to those grains and to soaked beans, but I
find it too strong for regular brown rice....unless you want it
disgustlingly "yawarakai".

Kuri

crymad

cc wrote:

> "crymad" > wrote in message
>
> > This is news to me. What sort of additives?

> Vitamines, minerals...all the stuff that guaranties you not to get
> Alzheimer.
>
> >Do they come off during the routine rinsing just before cooking?

> It's pre-rinsed. Well, most germed rice I see for sell is produced by
> industrial vitamin food companies (fancl, etc) and it tastes un-natural to
> me. [...]

Are we talking about the same thing? This is just rice with the germ
portion intact, right?

--crymad
crymad

cc wrote:

> "crymad" > wrote in message
>
> > This is news to me. What sort of additives?

> Vitamines, minerals...all the stuff that guaranties you not to get
> Alzheimer.
>
> >Do they come off during the routine rinsing just before cooking?

> It's pre-rinsed. Well, most germed rice I see for sell is produced by
> industrial vitamin food companies (fancl, etc) and it tastes un-natural to
> me. [...]

Are we talking about the same thing? This is just rice with the germ
portion intact, right?

--crymad
Abouna

OK, I guess I don;t get it.

I just received my sampler pack from Specialteas.com. The first one I
tried was the Japanese Sencha. I am getting nothing from this stuff.
Yes it is indeed grassy, and thats about it!

What am I missing here? I am a big coffee fan. I don;t expect green
tea to have the flavor punch of coffee. But this is really stretch,
extremely weak, grassy, no hint of anything else, let alone a natural
sweetness (something I have read).

Am I missing something? Albeit this is the first one I have tried.

Cheers.

Lewis Perin

crymad > writes:

> Lewis Perin wrote:
> >
> > crymad > writes:
> >

> > > Does your rice happen to be Tamaki brand, in a thick brown bag?

> > Yes, I already responded, but at the time I probably wasn't
> > caffeinated enough to think to call my wife and get the authoritative
> > answer, which is "yes".
> >
> > Does this matter?

> We were just at the Japanese market a couple days ago saw an elderly
> Japanese lady buying a big bag of this. She said mold growth isn't a
> worry and that you don't have to store it in the refrigerator. Though
> this rice may come with the mystery additives Kuri talked about, there
> is no mention of it on the package in Japanese. Still, if you got the
> room, refrigerator storage can't be beat.

Well, we live in a tiny Manhattan apartment, and our refrigerator's
pretty small. Thanks for the info!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin

crymad > writes:

> Lewis Perin wrote:
> >
> > crymad > writes:
> >

> > > Does your rice happen to be Tamaki brand, in a thick brown bag?

> > Yes, I already responded, but at the time I probably wasn't
> > caffeinated enough to think to call my wife and get the authoritative
> > answer, which is "yes".
> >
> > Does this matter?

> We were just at the Japanese market a couple days ago saw an elderly
> Japanese lady buying a big bag of this. She said mold growth isn't a
> worry and that you don't have to store it in the refrigerator. Though
> this rice may come with the mystery additives Kuri talked about, there
> is no mention of it on the package in Japanese. Still, if you got the
> room, refrigerator storage can't be beat.

Well, we live in a tiny Manhattan apartment, and our refrigerator's
pretty small. Thanks for the info!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
cc

"crymad" > wrote in message

> Are we talking about the same thing? This is just rice with the germ
> portion intact, right?

No, I'm talking of white or brown rice that was put in condition to germ
slightly (about 2 days) so you don't perceive the germ yet, but you're
supposed to get the health wonder effect of
eating germs.

I don't see which one you're talking about. For me, regular rice has the
germ portion intact.

Kuri

cc

"crymad" > wrote in message

> Are we talking about the same thing? This is just rice with the germ
> portion intact, right?

No, I'm talking of white or brown rice that was put in condition to germ
slightly (about 2 days) so you don't perceive the germ yet, but you're
supposed to get the health wonder effect of
eating germs.

I don't see which one you're talking about. For me, regular rice has the
germ portion intact.

Kuri

Joseph Kubera

>OK, I guess I don;t get it.
>
>I just received my sampler pack from Specialteas.com. The first one I
>tried was the Japanese Sencha. I am getting nothing from this stuff.
>Yes it is indeed grassy, and thats about it!

Abouna,

What parameters were you using, i.e., amounts of water and leaf, water temp,
and brewing time? Your statement that it came out really weak makes me think
you need an adjustment in onr or more of the above parameters.

Joe

Joseph Kubera

>OK, I guess I don;t get it.
>
>I just received my sampler pack from Specialteas.com. The first one I
>tried was the Japanese Sencha. I am getting nothing from this stuff.
>Yes it is indeed grassy, and thats about it!

Abouna,

What parameters were you using, i.e., amounts of water and leaf, water temp,
and brewing time? Your statement that it came out really weak makes me think
you need an adjustment in onr or more of the above parameters.

Joe
crymad

cc wrote:

> "crymad" > wrote in message
>
> > Are we talking about the same thing? This is just rice with the germ
> > portion intact, right?

> No, I'm talking of white or brown rice that was put in condition to germ
> slightly (about 2 days) so you don't perceive the germ yet, but you're
> supposed to get the health wonder effect of
> eating germs.

Ah, I had a suspicion you were referring to sprouted/"germinated" rice.
You eat this?

> I don't see which one you're talking about. For me, regular rice has the
> germ portion intact.

Not regular, polished white rice. Here's a link for the Tamaki Haiga
sold here in the US:

http://www.tamakimai.com/products.html

--crymad
crymad

cc wrote:

> "crymad" > wrote in message
>
> > Are we talking about the same thing? This is just rice with the germ
> > portion intact, right?

> No, I'm talking of white or brown rice that was put in condition to germ
> slightly (about 2 days) so you don't perceive the germ yet, but you're
> supposed to get the health wonder effect of
> eating germs.

Ah, I had a suspicion you were referring to sprouted/"germinated" rice.
You eat this?

> I don't see which one you're talking about. For me, regular rice has the
> germ portion intact.

Not regular, polished white rice. Here's a link for the Tamaki Haiga
sold here in the US:

http://www.tamakimai.com/products.html

--crymad
crymad

Abouna wrote:

> OK, I guess I don;t get it.
>
> I just received my sampler pack from Specialteas.com. The first one I
> tried was the Japanese Sencha. I am getting nothing from this stuff.
> Yes it is indeed grassy, and thats about it!
>
> What am I missing here? I am a big coffee fan. I don;t expect green
> tea to have the flavor punch of coffee. But this is really stretch,
> extremely weak, grassy, no hint of anything else, let alone a natural
> sweetness (something I have read).
>
> Am I missing something? Albeit this is the first one I have tried.

Like Joe mentioned, Japanese greens are a bit more tricky to brew than
most black teas. Try altering time and temp, but do try to keep brew
time to less than 2 minutes.

Also, if you're jumping into tea headfirst with greens, it might take
some time before you really start tasting what they have to offer. And
if you're still drinking coffee regularly, this time may never come.
It's like smokers who give up their habit and realize how the flavors in
food had been shrouded.

--crymad
crymad

Abouna wrote:

> OK, I guess I don;t get it.
>
> I just received my sampler pack from Specialteas.com. The first one I
> tried was the Japanese Sencha. I am getting nothing from this stuff.
> Yes it is indeed grassy, and thats about it!
>
> What am I missing here? I am a big coffee fan. I don;t expect green
> tea to have the flavor punch of coffee. But this is really stretch,
> extremely weak, grassy, no hint of anything else, let alone a natural
> sweetness (something I have read).
>
> Am I missing something? Albeit this is the first one I have tried.

Like Joe mentioned, Japanese greens are a bit more tricky to brew than
most black teas. Try altering time and temp, but do try to keep brew
time to less than 2 minutes.

Also, if you're jumping into tea headfirst with greens, it might take
some time before you really start tasting what they have to offer. And
if you're still drinking coffee regularly, this time may never come.
It's like smokers who give up their habit and realize how the flavors in
food had been shrouded.

--crymad

Alex Chaihorsky

> Am I missing something? Albeit this is the first one I have tried.

Teas in general and green teas in particular are not as "bombastic" as
coffee. May be it will be easier for you to drink strong black Ceylon teas
for a while. Russians (most of whom smoke and therefore drink stronger teas
and coffees that Americans) have a way to brew black tea that makes it a
strong rival to coffee.

Take a small (0.33-0.5litre) porcelain teapot, make fresh "just boiling"
water and do the following:

1. Heat the teapot by washing it twice with hot water.
2. Put good Ceylon black tea there - say two-three tablespoons.
3 Pour 'almost-boiled" water in it and
4. Put on your stove on a very slow heat.
5. CRITICAL! Monitor it at all times. At some point when the temperature of
your teapot will approach boiling the tealeaves will start to roll up and
down. Take it off the stove and cover it (wrap it) with a clean thick cloth
(say towel).
6. 10 - 15 min later you can drink this tea by pouring the liquid (Zavarka!)
into a glass and adding some 1/3 to 2/3 boiling water (zavarka on its own is
VERY strong). Color is your guide. Some people add lemon. Some people add
sugar. I think good tea does not need either (especially sugar). Never brew
it the second time.

If you miss the 5 moment and allow it to boil (even for a mere second) -
throw it away. The tea will have the smell that we call the smell of
"venik" - a straw mop. The hotter the water you use to wash the teapot and
the closer the 'almost boiling" water - the less time it will take to
monitor the pot. This method requires accuracy and attention. Turn your back
on the teapot and it boils even if you spend full 15 min watching it. Anyone
who thinks he or she has ADD, forget it and go brew your coffee.

Sasha.

Alex Chaihorsky

> Am I missing something? Albeit this is the first one I have tried.

Teas in general and green teas in particular are not as "bombastic" as
coffee. May be it will be easier for you to drink strong black Ceylon teas
for a while. Russians (most of whom smoke and therefore drink stronger teas
and coffees that Americans) have a way to brew black tea that makes it a
strong rival to coffee.

Take a small (0.33-0.5litre) porcelain teapot, make fresh "just boiling"
water and do the following:

1. Heat the teapot by washing it twice with hot water.
2. Put good Ceylon black tea there - say two-three tablespoons.
3 Pour 'almost-boiled" water in it and
4. Put on your stove on a very slow heat.
5. CRITICAL! Monitor it at all times. At some point when the temperature of
your teapot will approach boiling the tealeaves will start to roll up and
down. Take it off the stove and cover it (wrap it) with a clean thick cloth
(say towel).
6. 10 - 15 min later you can drink this tea by pouring the liquid (Zavarka!)
into a glass and adding some 1/3 to 2/3 boiling water (zavarka on its own is
VERY strong). Color is your guide. Some people add lemon. Some people add
sugar. I think good tea does not need either (especially sugar). Never brew
it the second time.

If you miss the 5 moment and allow it to boil (even for a mere second) -
throw it away. The tea will have the smell that we call the smell of
"venik" - a straw mop. The hotter the water you use to wash the teapot and
the closer the 'almost boiling" water - the less time it will take to
monitor the pot. This method requires accuracy and attention. Turn your back
on the teapot and it boils even if you spend full 15 min watching it. Anyone
who thinks he or she has ADD, forget it and go brew your coffee.

Sasha.

Michael Plant

Sasha, have *I* missed something here? Are you suggesting below that I
should place one of my teapots over fire or electric heat coil on the stove?
I don't think so. In Iran, where drank numerous samavar/zavarka glasses of
tea, I *never* saw anyone put a teapot over fire. Kettles, yes; teapots, no.

Further, despite your suggestion that poor Abouna drink black Ceylon instead
of green, I think further experiments with green would be well worth
Abouna's time and effort, as Joe and Crymad said earlier. Just my opinion.

Alex gy.com10/21/04

>> Am I missing something? Albeit this is the first one I have tried.
>>

> Teas in general and green teas in particular are not as "bombastic" as
> coffee. May be it will be easier for you to drink strong black Ceylon teas
> for a while. Russians (most of whom smoke and therefore drink stronger teas
> and coffees that Americans) have a way to brew black tea that makes it a
> strong rival to coffee.
>
> Take a small (0.33-0.5litre) porcelain teapot, make fresh "just boiling"
> water and do the following:
>
> 1. Heat the teapot by washing it twice with hot water.
> 2. Put good Ceylon black tea there - say two-three tablespoons.
> 3 Pour 'almost-boiled" water in it and
> 4. Put on your stove on a very slow heat.
> 5. CRITICAL! Monitor it at all times. At some point when the temperature of
> your teapot will approach boiling the tealeaves will start to roll up and
> down. Take it off the stove and cover it (wrap it) with a clean thick cloth
> (say towel).
> 6. 10 - 15 min later you can drink this tea by pouring the liquid (Zavarka!)
> into a glass and adding some 1/3 to 2/3 boiling water (zavarka on its own is
> VERY strong). Color is your guide. Some people add lemon. Some people add
> sugar. I think good tea does not need either (especially sugar). Never brew
> it the second time.
>
> If you miss the 5 moment and allow it to boil (even for a mere second) -
> throw it away. The tea will have the smell that we call the smell of
> "venik" - a straw mop. The hotter the water you use to wash the teapot and
> the closer the 'almost boiling" water - the less time it will take to
> monitor the pot. This method requires accuracy and attention. Turn your back
> on the teapot and it boils even if you spend full 15 min watching it. Anyone
> who thinks he or she has ADD, forget it and go brew your coffee.
>
> Sasha.

Michael Plant

Sasha, have *I* missed something here? Are you suggesting below that I
should place one of my teapots over fire or electric heat coil on the stove?
I don't think so. In Iran, where drank numerous samavar/zavarka glasses of
tea, I *never* saw anyone put a teapot over fire. Kettles, yes; teapots, no.

Further, despite your suggestion that poor Abouna drink black Ceylon instead
of green, I think further experiments with green would be well worth
Abouna's time and effort, as Joe and Crymad said earlier. Just my opinion.

Alex gy.com10/21/04

>> Am I missing something? Albeit this is the first one I have tried.
>>

> Teas in general and green teas in particular are not as "bombastic" as
> coffee. May be it will be easier for you to drink strong black Ceylon teas
> for a while. Russians (most of whom smoke and therefore drink stronger teas
> and coffees that Americans) have a way to brew black tea that makes it a
> strong rival to coffee.
>
> Take a small (0.33-0.5litre) porcelain teapot, make fresh "just boiling"
> water and do the following:
>
> 1. Heat the teapot by washing it twice with hot water.
> 2. Put good Ceylon black tea there - say two-three tablespoons.
> 3 Pour 'almost-boiled" water in it and
> 4. Put on your stove on a very slow heat.
> 5. CRITICAL! Monitor it at all times. At some point when the temperature of
> your teapot will approach boiling the tealeaves will start to roll up and
> down. Take it off the stove and cover it (wrap it) with a clean thick cloth
> (say towel).
> 6. 10 - 15 min later you can drink this tea by pouring the liquid (Zavarka!)
> into a glass and adding some 1/3 to 2/3 boiling water (zavarka on its own is
> VERY strong). Color is your guide. Some people add lemon. Some people add
> sugar. I think good tea does not need either (especially sugar). Never brew
> it the second time.
>
> If you miss the 5 moment and allow it to boil (even for a mere second) -
> throw it away. The tea will have the smell that we call the smell of
> "venik" - a straw mop. The hotter the water you use to wash the teapot and
> the closer the 'almost boiling" water - the less time it will take to
> monitor the pot. This method requires accuracy and attention. Turn your back
> on the teapot and it boils even if you spend full 15 min watching it. Anyone
> who thinks he or she has ADD, forget it and go brew your coffee.
>
> Sasha.

Michael Plant

Sasha, have *I* missed something here? Are you suggesting below that I
should place one of my teapots over fire or electric heat coil on the stove?
I don't think so. In Iran, where drank numerous samavar/zavarka glasses of
tea, I *never* saw anyone put a teapot over fire. Kettles, yes; teapots, no.

Further, despite your suggestion that poor Abouna drink black Ceylon instead
of green, I think further experiments with green would be well worth
Abouna's time and effort, as Joe and Crymad said earlier. Just my opinion.

Alex gy.com10/21/04

>> Am I missing something? Albeit this is the first one I have tried.
>>

> Teas in general and green teas in particular are not as "bombastic" as
> coffee. May be it will be easier for you to drink strong black Ceylon teas
> for a while. Russians (most of whom smoke and therefore drink stronger teas
> and coffees that Americans) have a way to brew black tea that makes it a
> strong rival to coffee.
>
> Take a small (0.33-0.5litre) porcelain teapot, make fresh "just boiling"
> water and do the following:
>
> 1. Heat the teapot by washing it twice with hot water.
> 2. Put good Ceylon black tea there - say two-three tablespoons.
> 3 Pour 'almost-boiled" water in it and
> 4. Put on your stove on a very slow heat.
> 5. CRITICAL! Monitor it at all times. At some point when the temperature of
> your teapot will approach boiling the tealeaves will start to roll up and
> down. Take it off the stove and cover it (wrap it) with a clean thick cloth
> (say towel).
> 6. 10 - 15 min later you can drink this tea by pouring the liquid (Zavarka!)
> into a glass and adding some 1/3 to 2/3 boiling water (zavarka on its own is
> VERY strong). Color is your guide. Some people add lemon. Some people add
> sugar. I think good tea does not need either (especially sugar). Never brew
> it the second time.
>
> If you miss the 5 moment and allow it to boil (even for a mere second) -
> throw it away. The tea will have the smell that we call the smell of
> "venik" - a straw mop. The hotter the water you use to wash the teapot and
> the closer the 'almost boiling" water - the less time it will take to
> monitor the pot. This method requires accuracy and attention. Turn your back
> on the teapot and it boils even if you spend full 15 min watching it. Anyone
> who thinks he or she has ADD, forget it and go brew your coffee.
>
> Sasha.

Alex Chaihorsky

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> Sasha, have *I* missed something here? Are you suggesting below that I
> should place one of my teapots over fire or electric heat coil on the
> stove?

Yes, teapot on very slow fire. Sorry, this is how it is done. May be
Iranians do it a little bit different.

Sasha..

Alex Chaihorsky

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> Sasha, have *I* missed something here? Are you suggesting below that I
> should place one of my teapots over fire or electric heat coil on the
> stove?

Yes, teapot on very slow fire. Sorry, this is how it is done. May be
Iranians do it a little bit different.

Sasha..

Abouna

First, Sasha,

thank you for your comprehensive reply. Unfortunately I am not
interested in black teas. I do like them cold but have never been
able to like them hot. Coffe is much better to me.

Second, Joe,

Thank you also. I used one heaping teaspoon of Sencha for each 6 oz.
of water. Steeped at 180 for exactly 2 mins.

I'll try one of the other samplers today.

Alex Chaihorsky

"Abouna" > wrote in message
om...
> First, Sasha,
>
> thank you for your comprehensive reply. Unfortunately I am not
> interested in black teas. I do like them cold but have never been
> able to like them hot. Coffe is much better to me.

Sure. You may want to try my method and then drink it cold. This way of
brewing tea makes it distinctively different.

Cheers,

Sasha.

Alex Chaihorsky

"Abouna" > wrote in message
om...
> First, Sasha,
>
> thank you for your comprehensive reply. Unfortunately I am not
> interested in black teas. I do like them cold but have never been
> able to like them hot. Coffe is much better to me.

Sure. You may want to try my method and then drink it cold. This way of
brewing tea makes it distinctively different.

Cheers,

Sasha.

Alex Chaihorsky

"Abouna" > wrote in message
om...
> First, Sasha,
>
> thank you for your comprehensive reply. Unfortunately I am not
> interested in black teas. I do like them cold but have never been
> able to like them hot. Coffe is much better to me.

Sure. You may want to try my method and then drink it cold. This way of
brewing tea makes it distinctively different.

Cheers,

Sasha.

Joseph Kubera

>> Thank you also. I used one heaping teaspoon of Sencha for each 6 oz.
>> of water. Steeped at 180 for exactly 2 mins.

Abouna,

I would second the recommendations for temperature and time (for sencha) that
Lew Perin gave you in his post. And also his caution against expectations
vis-a-vis coffee.

Depending on the specific tea, I *might* use a little more dry leaf than a
heaping tsp. for 6 oz. water. But try Lew's suggestions first, and give
yourself a chance to understand what the tea is all about.

Joe