Alex Chaihorsky

> Admittedly, that would be quite a stretch of the cultural warp. Point well
> taken. But, in a broader sense, I think how we express our likes and
> dislikes can be as culture specific as the likes and dislikes we express.
> JMESHO. (When I typed my post, I was thinking of some durian loving
> Chinese
> friends who referr to it as "stinky fruit," and my own feeling about
> Pu-erh,
> which can be many things, not all of them pleasant, but always an
> adventure
> and a journey worth taking.
>
> Michael

But certainly Chinese calling durian (or any other "their" food for that
matter) stinky is like American calling McDonalds "shitty food". But when
Chinese say "I 'd rather eat ground glass than your shitty hamburgers" it
does sound different, isn't it?

Sasha.

Space Cowboy

I meant to say 'dry orange blob' and I suspected it was duck egg yolk.
Years ago I added a ramp to an unused horse trough and keep it filled
for ducks who swam all day. I'd fished every couple of days for eggs.
For suburbanites you can scour the banks of an industrial cooling
pond habited by wild ducks for eggs. The maintenance personnel know
this so you have to be lucky. Sunday morning is a good time. I
tasted the lotus seeds and paste. Now if I can figure out what was
the sweet stringy gelatin gummy like substance. The best part it
didn't crumble. Mine were $5 each but good for three snacks. They
were 'heavy' so if lard perfect with puerh.

Thanks to all replies,
Jim

"samarkand" > wrote in message >...
> "Joel Reicher" > wrote in message
> > (Space Cowboy) writes:
> >
> >> Okay you Asian Iron Chefs what is that dry yellow blob in moon cakes?

> > Lotus seed paste, if I've understood your question and if the moon
> > cakes you've had are the same as the ones I've had.
> >

> Usually made from lotus seed paste, there are 2 types: white and usual
> lotus seed paste. In the recent years many other ingredients have also been
> used as fillings, from colour to ice cream!
>
> The dry yellow blob in moon cakes, I think you meant the duck's egg yolk.
> Traditionally, duck yolk is used as the centre filling, to balance the
> over-sweetness of the paste. The paste itself is mixed with lard to give it
> a smoother texture, but in the recent decades with the alarm raised on high
> cholestrol and healthy eating, this is discarded, and vegetable oil used
> instead. To make the mooncake available to vegetarians, the yolk is
> replaced with coloured lotus paste.
>
> Samar

cc

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message

> This is quite simple. There are individuals who understand the way people
> get insulted and there are ones that do not. Usually its their parents who
> were the same way and never wanted to improve.

> The simple rule that you never use the words "stink, awful, yuk, etc"
> speaking about food that others eat and admire, never call "ugly, awful or
> terrible" things that people wear - is too sophisticated for them.

But you said *$ made sh*tty coffee ? You know millions of people drink and
admire
that monkey p... well, excuse the bad manners, I meant : drink and admire
*that*. Aren't you afraid of insulting them ?

Kuri

cc

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message

> This is quite simple. There are individuals who understand the way people
> get insulted and there are ones that do not. Usually its their parents who
> were the same way and never wanted to improve.

> The simple rule that you never use the words "stink, awful, yuk, etc"
> speaking about food that others eat and admire, never call "ugly, awful or
> terrible" things that people wear - is too sophisticated for them.

But you said *$ made sh*tty coffee ? You know millions of people drink and
admire
that monkey p... well, excuse the bad manners, I meant : drink and admire
*that*. Aren't you afraid of insulting them ?

Kuri

Alex Chaihorsky

1. I never said that coffee is shit. That could be insulting.

2. I also belong to the European coffee-drinking culture, and I do drink it
as I indicate in that message. So its not "your shitty coffee", its "our
shitty coffee". I also said that it was "shitty" because it was not strong
enough. I think the difference is obvioius.

Sasha.

"cc" > wrote in message

> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
>
>> This is quite simple. There are individuals who understand the way people
>> get insulted and there are ones that do not. Usually its their parents
>> who
>> were the same way and never wanted to improve.

>> The simple rule that you never use the words "stink, awful, yuk, etc"
>> speaking about food that others eat and admire, never call "ugly, awful
>> or
>> terrible" things that people wear - is too sophisticated for them.

> But you said *$ made sh*tty coffee ? You know millions of people drink and
> admire
> that monkey p... well, excuse the bad manners, I meant : drink and admire
> *that*. Aren't you afraid of insulting them ?
>
> Kuri

Space Cowboy

American culture is known for wisecracking. We have a whole industry
devoted to it. Nothing has been said here that would even get a
chuckle out of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. Yes. No. My favorite
internationally accepted description of puerh Camel's Breath Tea. I
even have the Chinese somewhere.

Jim

Michael Plant > wrote in message >...
> Alex igy.com10/14/04
>
> Sasha, not so simple, I think. "Common" courtesy is surely not common, but
> what it means is culture specific, not universal. When we say Pu-erh -- or
> Durian, for that matter -- is stinky, we speak affectionately, right guys?
>
> Michael
>

> > This is quite simple. There are individuals who understand the way people
> > get insulted and there are ones that do not. Usually its their parents who
> > were the same way and never wanted to improve.
> > I have seen people who would look at their companion's plate in the
> > restaurant and say - this is awful, how can you eat that? And they do not
> > mean anything insulting, they just were never brought up the proper way.
> > They would also stare at a paraplegic person, pick their nose in public and
> > belch when they have eaten enough. Yes, they probably understand the
> > improperness of passing wind in the presence of others, but that is as far
> > as their upbringing goes.
> > The simple rule that you never use the words "stink, awful, yuk, etc"
> > speaking about food that others eat and admire, never call "ugly, awful or
> > terrible" things that people wear - is too sophisticated for them. There are
> > many ways to express your personal rejections for certain foods, styles and
> > many other things - you can say that this scent is a bit too rough for you,
> > that you have never developed a taste, etc. But their childish minds find it
> > easier to just compare things they do not like to snot and poo.
> >
> > Sasha.

Space Cowboy

American culture is known for wisecracking. We have a whole industry
devoted to it. Nothing has been said here that would even get a
chuckle out of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. Yes. No. My favorite
internationally accepted description of puerh Camel's Breath Tea. I
even have the Chinese somewhere.

Jim

Michael Plant > wrote in message >...
> Alex igy.com10/14/04
>
> Sasha, not so simple, I think. "Common" courtesy is surely not common, but
> what it means is culture specific, not universal. When we say Pu-erh -- or
> Durian, for that matter -- is stinky, we speak affectionately, right guys?
>
> Michael
>

> > This is quite simple. There are individuals who understand the way people
> > get insulted and there are ones that do not. Usually its their parents who
> > were the same way and never wanted to improve.
> > I have seen people who would look at their companion's plate in the
> > restaurant and say - this is awful, how can you eat that? And they do not
> > mean anything insulting, they just were never brought up the proper way.
> > They would also stare at a paraplegic person, pick their nose in public and
> > belch when they have eaten enough. Yes, they probably understand the
> > improperness of passing wind in the presence of others, but that is as far
> > as their upbringing goes.
> > The simple rule that you never use the words "stink, awful, yuk, etc"
> > speaking about food that others eat and admire, never call "ugly, awful or
> > terrible" things that people wear - is too sophisticated for them. There are
> > many ways to express your personal rejections for certain foods, styles and
> > many other things - you can say that this scent is a bit too rough for you,
> > that you have never developed a taste, etc. But their childish minds find it
> > easier to just compare things they do not like to snot and poo.
> >
> > Sasha.

Michael Plant

Sasha lad,

You might never have actually said that coffee is shit, but that only means
you are not familiar with the rare treasure produced by the digestive action
of the Eurasian coffee beetle. You see, the beetle feeds voraciously on the
beans and the resulting ambrosia is gathered and....but I cannot continue
lest I give away trade secrets. You cannot get this coffee at low life
Starbucks. This is only for connesurs -- I no longer even try to spell it,
much less be it. I'll bet this is the Pu-erh of coffees.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Alex gy.com10/14/04

> 1. I never said that coffee is shit. That could be insulting.
>
> 2. I also belong to the European coffee-drinking culture, and I do drink it
> as I indicate in that message. So its not "your shitty coffee", its "our
> shitty coffee". I also said that it was "shitty" because it was not strong
> enough. I think the difference is obvioius.
>
> Sasha.

Michael Plant

Sasha lad,

You might never have actually said that coffee is shit, but that only means
you are not familiar with the rare treasure produced by the digestive action
of the Eurasian coffee beetle. You see, the beetle feeds voraciously on the
beans and the resulting ambrosia is gathered and....but I cannot continue
lest I give away trade secrets. You cannot get this coffee at low life
Starbucks. This is only for connesurs -- I no longer even try to spell it,
much less be it. I'll bet this is the Pu-erh of coffees.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Alex gy.com10/14/04

> 1. I never said that coffee is shit. That could be insulting.
>
> 2. I also belong to the European coffee-drinking culture, and I do drink it
> as I indicate in that message. So its not "your shitty coffee", its "our
> shitty coffee". I also said that it was "shitty" because it was not strong
> enough. I think the difference is obvioius.
>
> Sasha.

Dog Ma 1

Michael Plant wrote:
> You see, the beetle feeds voraciously on the
> beans and the resulting ambrosia is gathered

Ex-Lax espresso?

Dog Ma 1