crymad

Default Ancestor worship, Bushido savagery, and tea

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

> Japanese Tea Ceremony is
> very deeply connected to the issues of Japanese national character,
> self-conscience, traditions and traditional values. I made a statement that
> I believe that the old Japanese traditional systems of values of which
> Bushido is as central as imperial rule are coming.

I too was skeptical of this farfetched claim. But shocking evidence
recently unearthed proves shows that tea is indeed irrevocably linked
with the murderous and fanatical Japanese psyche. Filmed in 1941, just
shortly before the attacks on Pearl Harbor, this documentary provides a
glimpse into the secret world of Japanese militaristic indoctrination.
See the young boys of the day being shaped into the barbaric Kamikaze of
tomorrow. And it all begins...WITH A SIP OF TEA!

http://tinyurl.com/45alc

--crymad
Alex Chaihorsky

Thank you.

Sasha.

"crymad" > wrote in message

> Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>
>> Japanese Tea Ceremony is
>> very deeply connected to the issues of Japanese national character,
>> self-conscience, traditions and traditional values. I made a statement
>> that
>> I believe that the old Japanese traditional systems of values of which
>> Bushido is as central as imperial rule are coming.

> I too was skeptical of this farfetched claim. But shocking evidence
> recently unearthed proves shows that tea is indeed irrevocably linked
> with the murderous and fanatical Japanese psyche. Filmed in 1941, just
> shortly before the attacks on Pearl Harbor, this documentary provides a
> glimpse into the secret world of Japanese militaristic indoctrination.
> See the young boys of the day being shaped into the barbaric Kamikaze of
> tomorrow. And it all begins...WITH A SIP OF TEA!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/45alc
>
> --crymad

Alex Chaihorsky

Thank you.

Sasha.

"crymad" > wrote in message

> Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>
>> Japanese Tea Ceremony is
>> very deeply connected to the issues of Japanese national character,
>> self-conscience, traditions and traditional values. I made a statement
>> that
>> I believe that the old Japanese traditional systems of values of which
>> Bushido is as central as imperial rule are coming.

> I too was skeptical of this farfetched claim. But shocking evidence
> recently unearthed proves shows that tea is indeed irrevocably linked
> with the murderous and fanatical Japanese psyche. Filmed in 1941, just
> shortly before the attacks on Pearl Harbor, this documentary provides a
> glimpse into the secret world of Japanese militaristic indoctrination.
> See the young boys of the day being shaped into the barbaric Kamikaze of
> tomorrow. And it all begins...WITH A SIP OF TEA!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/45alc
>
> --crymad

Space Cowboy

Why is he using chopsticks with his tea cup?

Jim

crymad > wrote in message >...
> Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>
> > Japanese Tea Ceremony is
> > very deeply connected to the issues of Japanese national character,
> > self-conscience, traditions and traditional values. I made a statement that
> > I believe that the old Japanese traditional systems of values of which
> > Bushido is as central as imperial rule are coming.

> I too was skeptical of this farfetched claim. But shocking evidence
> recently unearthed proves shows that tea is indeed irrevocably linked
> with the murderous and fanatical Japanese psyche. Filmed in 1941, just
> shortly before the attacks on Pearl Harbor, this documentary provides a
> glimpse into the secret world of Japanese militaristic indoctrination.
> See the young boys of the day being shaped into the barbaric Kamikaze of
> tomorrow. And it all begins...WITH A SIP OF TEA!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/45alc
>
> --crymad

Space Cowboy

crymad > wrote in message >...
> Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>
> > Japanese Tea Ceremony is
> > very deeply connected to the issues of Japanese national character,
> > self-conscience, traditions and traditional values. I made a statement that
> > I believe that the old Japanese traditional systems of values of which
> > Bushido is as central as imperial rule are coming.

> I too was skeptical of this farfetched claim. But shocking evidence
> recently unearthed proves shows that tea is indeed irrevocably linked
> with the murderous and fanatical Japanese psyche. Filmed in 1941, just
> shortly before the attacks on Pearl Harbor, this documentary provides a
> glimpse into the secret world of Japanese militaristic indoctrination.
> See the young boys of the day being shaped into the barbaric Kamikaze of
> tomorrow. And it all begins...WITH A SIP OF TEA!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/45alc
>
> --crymad

crymad

Space Cowboy wrote:

> Why is he using chopsticks with his tea cup?

Is this during the dinner scene? I watched again, but didn't see what
you're referring to. If you can tell me at what time point this occurs,
I might be able to spot it.

--crymad

> crymad > wrote in message >...
> > Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> >
> > > Japanese Tea Ceremony is
> > > very deeply connected to the issues of Japanese national character,
> > > self-conscience, traditions and traditional values. I made a statement that
> > > I believe that the old Japanese traditional systems of values of which
> > > Bushido is as central as imperial rule are coming.

> > I too was skeptical of this farfetched claim. But shocking evidence
> > recently unearthed proves shows that tea is indeed irrevocably linked
> > with the murderous and fanatical Japanese psyche. Filmed in 1941, just
> > shortly before the attacks on Pearl Harbor, this documentary provides a
> > glimpse into the secret world of Japanese militaristic indoctrination.
> > See the young boys of the day being shaped into the barbaric Kamikaze of
> > tomorrow. And it all begins...WITH A SIP OF TEA!
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/45alc
> >
> > --crymad

crymad

Space Cowboy wrote:

> Why is he using chopsticks with his tea cup?

Is this during the dinner scene? I watched again, but didn't see what
you're referring to. If you can tell me at what time point this occurs,
I might be able to spot it.

--crymad

> crymad > wrote in message >...
> > Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> >
> > > Japanese Tea Ceremony is
> > > very deeply connected to the issues of Japanese national character,
> > > self-conscience, traditions and traditional values. I made a statement that
> > > I believe that the old Japanese traditional systems of values of which
> > > Bushido is as central as imperial rule are coming.

> > I too was skeptical of this farfetched claim. But shocking evidence
> > recently unearthed proves shows that tea is indeed irrevocably linked
> > with the murderous and fanatical Japanese psyche. Filmed in 1941, just
> > shortly before the attacks on Pearl Harbor, this documentary provides a
> > glimpse into the secret world of Japanese militaristic indoctrination.
> > See the young boys of the day being shaped into the barbaric Kamikaze of
> > tomorrow. And it all begins...WITH A SIP OF TEA!
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/45alc
> >
> > --crymad

crymad

Space Cowboy wrote:

> Why is he using chopsticks with his tea cup?

Is this during the dinner scene? I watched again, but didn't see what
you're referring to. If you can tell me at what time point this occurs,
I might be able to spot it.

--crymad

> crymad > wrote in message >...
> > Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> >
> > > Japanese Tea Ceremony is
> > > very deeply connected to the issues of Japanese national character,
> > > self-conscience, traditions and traditional values. I made a statement that
> > > I believe that the old Japanese traditional systems of values of which
> > > Bushido is as central as imperial rule are coming.

> > I too was skeptical of this farfetched claim. But shocking evidence
> > recently unearthed proves shows that tea is indeed irrevocably linked
> > with the murderous and fanatical Japanese psyche. Filmed in 1941, just
> > shortly before the attacks on Pearl Harbor, this documentary provides a
> > glimpse into the secret world of Japanese militaristic indoctrination.
> > See the young boys of the day being shaped into the barbaric Kamikaze of
> > tomorrow. And it all begins...WITH A SIP OF TEA!
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/45alc
> >
> > --crymad

Space Cowboy

If there was a video I missed it. There was a gallery of still shots
and at the dinner table the boy's face was blocked by a bowl which you
could assume was a handleless tea cup but if you noticed the
chopsticks it was obviously a rice bowl. I didn't notice any tea
apperati in the shots. It's not important in any case. I don't blame
anyone for never forgetting about brutalities. My father in law
fought in the Pacific and will only travel as far as Hawaii. He
associates tea with the Japanese and when I visit I keep my proclivity
low profile.

Jim

crymad > wrote in message >...
> Space Cowboy wrote:
> >
> > Why is he using chopsticks with his tea cup?
> >

> Is this during the dinner scene? I watched again, but didn't see what
> you're referring to. If you can tell me at what time point this occurs,
> I might be able to spot it.
>
> --crymad
>

> > crymad > wrote in message >...

> > > I too was skeptical of this farfetched claim. But shocking evidence
> > > recently unearthed proves shows that tea is indeed irrevocably linked
> > > with the murderous and fanatical Japanese psyche. Filmed in 1941, just
> > > shortly before the attacks on Pearl Harbor, this documentary provides a
> > > glimpse into the secret world of Japanese militaristic indoctrination.
> > > See the young boys of the day being shaped into the barbaric Kamikaze of
> > > tomorrow. And it all begins...WITH A SIP OF TEA!
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/45alc
> > >
> > > --crymad

Space Cowboy

crymad > wrote in message >...
> Space Cowboy wrote:
> >
> > Why is he using chopsticks with his tea cup?
> >

> Is this during the dinner scene? I watched again, but didn't see what
> you're referring to. If you can tell me at what time point this occurs,
> I might be able to spot it.
>
> --crymad
>

> > crymad > wrote in message >...

> > > I too was skeptical of this farfetched claim. But shocking evidence
> > > recently unearthed proves shows that tea is indeed irrevocably linked
> > > with the murderous and fanatical Japanese psyche. Filmed in 1941, just
> > > shortly before the attacks on Pearl Harbor, this documentary provides a
> > > glimpse into the secret world of Japanese militaristic indoctrination.
> > > See the young boys of the day being shaped into the barbaric Kamikaze of
> > > tomorrow. And it all begins...WITH A SIP OF TEA!
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/45alc
> > >
> > > --crymad

crymad

Space Cowboy wrote:

> If there was a video I missed it.

Not only video, but videos -- about 7 various download formats are
available as well as streaming options in Quicktime and Real, all under
the title screen shot. If you have broadband, just download the MPEG4
or MPEG1 file and see this thing in moving glory. It really is a
fascinating film.

> There was a gallery of still shots
> and at the dinner table the boy's face was blocked by a bowl which you
> could assume was a handleless tea cup but if you noticed the
> chopsticks it was obviously a rice bowl.

I see the still in question now. Yes, it is a rice bowl.

> I didn't notice any tea
> apperati in the shots.

Tea makes its appearance throughout the film. In fact, it opens with
shots of schoolchildren walking through tea fields. All in all, the
film is an effective tool for taking a pot shot at Alex's comments
below.

--crymad

> crymad > wrote in message >...
> > Space Cowboy wrote:
> > >
> > > Why is he using chopsticks with his tea cup?
> > >

> > Is this during the dinner scene? I watched again, but didn't see what
> > you're referring to. If you can tell me at what time point this occurs,
> > I might be able to spot it.
> >
> > --crymad

crymad

Space Cowboy wrote:

> If there was a video I missed it.

Not only video, but videos -- about 7 various download formats are
available as well as streaming options in Quicktime and Real, all under
the title screen shot. If you have broadband, just download the MPEG4
or MPEG1 file and see this thing in moving glory. It really is a
fascinating film.

> There was a gallery of still shots
> and at the dinner table the boy's face was blocked by a bowl which you
> could assume was a handleless tea cup but if you noticed the
> chopsticks it was obviously a rice bowl.

I see the still in question now. Yes, it is a rice bowl.

> I didn't notice any tea
> apperati in the shots.

Tea makes its appearance throughout the film. In fact, it opens with
shots of schoolchildren walking through tea fields. All in all, the
film is an effective tool for taking a pot shot at Alex's comments
below.

--crymad

> crymad > wrote in message >...
> > Space Cowboy wrote:
> > >
> > > Why is he using chopsticks with his tea cup?
> > >

> > Is this during the dinner scene? I watched again, but didn't see what
> > you're referring to. If you can tell me at what time point this occurs,
> > I might be able to spot it.
> >
> > --crymad

crymad

Space Cowboy wrote:

> If there was a video I missed it.

Not only video, but videos -- about 7 various download formats are
available as well as streaming options in Quicktime and Real, all under
the title screen shot. If you have broadband, just download the MPEG4
or MPEG1 file and see this thing in moving glory. It really is a
fascinating film.

> There was a gallery of still shots
> and at the dinner table the boy's face was blocked by a bowl which you
> could assume was a handleless tea cup but if you noticed the
> chopsticks it was obviously a rice bowl.

I see the still in question now. Yes, it is a rice bowl.

> I didn't notice any tea
> apperati in the shots.

Tea makes its appearance throughout the film. In fact, it opens with
shots of schoolchildren walking through tea fields. All in all, the
film is an effective tool for taking a pot shot at Alex's comments
below.

--crymad

> crymad > wrote in message >...
> > Space Cowboy wrote:
> > >
> > > Why is he using chopsticks with his tea cup?
> > >

> > Is this during the dinner scene? I watched again, but didn't see what
> > you're referring to. If you can tell me at what time point this occurs,
> > I might be able to spot it.
> >
> > --crymad

Alex Chaihorsky

> Tea makes its appearance throughout the film. In fact, it opens with
> shots of schoolchildren walking through tea fields. All in all, the
> film is an effective tool for taking a pot shot at Alex's comments
> below.
>
> --crymad

You are not taking any shots, just avoiding the serious argument. That is
why I thanked you for honorable exit - which is obvious, if this is the best
you can do.

Sasha.

crymad

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

> > Tea makes its appearance throughout the film. In fact, it opens with
> > shots of schoolchildren walking through tea fields. All in all, the
> > film is an effective tool for taking a pot shot at Alex's comments
> > below.
> >
> > --crymad

> You are not taking any shots, just avoiding the serious argument. That is
> why I thanked you for honorable exit - which is obvious, if this is the best
> you can do.

In all seriousness, you really should watch this film, Alex. Having
never been to Japan, you'll certainly find it instructive. Goodness,
even I -- who lived there almost 10 years -- and my native Japanese wife
learned something. Did you know that roving tofu sellers used to
actually cut the tofu blocks into small, ready-for-soup pieces?

--crymad

crymad

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

> > Tea makes its appearance throughout the film. In fact, it opens with
> > shots of schoolchildren walking through tea fields. All in all, the
> > film is an effective tool for taking a pot shot at Alex's comments
> > below.
> >
> > --crymad

> You are not taking any shots, just avoiding the serious argument. That is
> why I thanked you for honorable exit - which is obvious, if this is the best
> you can do.

In all seriousness, you really should watch this film, Alex. Having
never been to Japan, you'll certainly find it instructive. Goodness,
even I -- who lived there almost 10 years -- and my native Japanese wife
learned something. Did you know that roving tofu sellers used to
actually cut the tofu blocks into small, ready-for-soup pieces?

--crymad
Alex Chaihorsky

I certainly did watch it. My conclusion - this is one of many a pre-war
"enemy study" films that introduces elements of everyday Japanese life to
mid-level intelligence personnel. The people who made this film most
probably were not told what the purpose was. Also, such film can be used as
a front for a "documentary" filming for military. That allows am American
team travel Japan, take pictures, ask questions, film, bring large amount of
undeveloped film back home. Remember - this is 1941 film. But of course
these are just guesses.
Similar tactics was used by CIA with American students who would come to
USSR to study language. They will be given free cameras (and quite nice
ones, too) and told that they can keep the cameras as long as they take
several rolls of film of people on the street. Just anyone, women, children,
groups of men, nothing particular. This way a very critical information
about everyday life is obtained constantly that is invaluable for
maintaining deep cover. Very smart if you ask me.

I just believe that visiting a country does nothing to knowing it better
comparing with STUDYING the country, culture, history, language. I'll give
you an example. Mike Petro, I am sure, knows hundreds times more about
puerhs that an average Chinese, who lived there all his life. I am not
trying to make fun of you, honestly, and I never knew you had a Japanese
wife, but so many times in my life I heard that (I am not claiming that you
do that) - oh, sure I know - my wife is ... Or - sure, I know, my husband
travels there constantly.
I do not buy that as an argument. The most knowledgeable experts I knew were
people who studied the whole region, not just one country for years and
years, never went there for obvious reasons and developed a deep respect
and understanding to the fabric of the society. As an example. I think you
will be fascinated by a book written by an anonymous undercover agent (we do
not even know who he worked for) that is called "Jews and Japanese". I
never heard any strong objections to my conclusions on the inevitable
revival of Japanese imperialism from them. That does not mean that some time
next year "Hakko iti U" will become again a policy, but one has to
understand that same way as US will never really give up on control of the
Middle East oil, same way Japan has to have some way of controlling its
access to natural resources. An economic superpower like Japan cannot sleep
at night without some way of insuring its future development. So, Japanese
imperialism was just an instrument to have such an insurance. Japan today is
insured by the US on a condition of its "good behavior". The moment the US
will start losing its grip on the world (give it a 10 years if we keep doing
what we are doing) and they will have to start looking for themselves.

If you want to become a chess player you study for years it and then you may
become one. But leaving in the same building where they make the chess
boards from wood won't make you a player.

Sasha.

"crymad" > wrote in message

> Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>>
>> > Tea makes its appearance throughout the film. In fact, it opens with
>> > shots of schoolchildren walking through tea fields. All in all, the
>> > film is an effective tool for taking a pot shot at Alex's comments
>> > below.
>> >
>> > --crymad

>> You are not taking any shots, just avoiding the serious argument. That is
>> why I thanked you for honorable exit - which is obvious, if this is the
>> best
>> you can do.

> In all seriousness, you really should watch this film, Alex. Having
> never been to Japan, you'll certainly find it instructive. Goodness,
> even I -- who lived there almost 10 years -- and my native Japanese wife
> learned something. Did you know that roving tofu sellers used to
> actually cut the tofu blocks into small, ready-for-soup pieces?
>
> --crymad

Alex Chaihorsky

"crymad" > wrote in message

> Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>>
>> > Tea makes its appearance throughout the film. In fact, it opens with
>> > shots of schoolchildren walking through tea fields. All in all, the
>> > film is an effective tool for taking a pot shot at Alex's comments
>> > below.
>> >
>> > --crymad

>> You are not taking any shots, just avoiding the serious argument. That is
>> why I thanked you for honorable exit - which is obvious, if this is the
>> best
>> you can do.

> In all seriousness, you really should watch this film, Alex. Having
> never been to Japan, you'll certainly find it instructive. Goodness,
> even I -- who lived there almost 10 years -- and my native Japanese wife
> learned something. Did you know that roving tofu sellers used to
> actually cut the tofu blocks into small, ready-for-soup pieces?
>
> --crymad

Michael Plant

Not to get into the middle of your "discussion" with Crymad, Sasha, but you
either have an absolutely great sense of humor or a serious problem. In
Afghanistan I drank tea with CIA and KGB operatives, sometimes I dare say in
the same person. I wouldn't worry too much. As for knowing the Japanese,
well there are different ways to do that, but not is better. Unless you are
a trained anthropologist, stick to tea.

Michael

Alex igy.com9/17/04

> [...]
> what we are doing) and they will have to start looking for themselves.
>
> If you want to become a chess player you study for years it and then you may
> become one. But leaving in the same building where they make the chess
> boards from wood won't make you a player.
>
> Sasha.

>>> You are not taking any shots, just avoiding the serious argument. That is
>>> why I thanked you for honorable exit - which is obvious, if this is the
>>> best
>>> you can do.

>> In all seriousness, you really should watch this film, Alex. Having
>> never been to Japan, you'll certainly find it instructive. Goodness,
>> even I -- who lived there almost 10 years -- and my native Japanese wife
>> learned something. Did you know that roving tofu sellers used to
>> actually cut the tofu blocks into small, ready-for-soup pieces?

Michael Plant

> [...]

> what we are doing) and they will have to start looking for themselves.
>
> If you want to become a chess player you study for years it and then you may
> become one. But leaving in the same building where they make the chess
> boards from wood won't make you a player.
>
> Sasha.

>>> You are not taking any shots, just avoiding the serious argument. That is
>>> why I thanked you for honorable exit - which is obvious, if this is the
>>> best
>>> you can do.

>> In all seriousness, you really should watch this film, Alex. Having
>> never been to Japan, you'll certainly find it instructive. Goodness,
>> even I -- who lived there almost 10 years -- and my native Japanese wife
>> learned something. Did you know that roving tofu sellers used to
>> actually cut the tofu blocks into small, ready-for-soup pieces?

Space Cowboy

I hit the site and the first thing that popped out was the screen
gallery so I assumed that was your 'video'. I've never come across a
website that serves video without a catch so I didn't look further.
I'll give it a look-see over the weekend. I've been looking for video
about tea on the Internet. I'm not having much luck. Lots of audio
but no video. I want to see video of monkeys picking tea or virgins
filling baskets under the moonlight.

Jim

crymad > wrote in message >...
> Space Cowboy wrote:
> >
> > If there was a video I missed it.

> Not only video, but videos -- about 7 various download formats are
> available as well as streaming options in Quicktime and Real, all under
> the title screen shot. If you have broadband, just download the MPEG4
> or MPEG1 file and see this thing in moving glory. It really is a
> fascinating film.
>
> > There was a gallery of still shots

Space Cowboy

crymad > wrote in message >...
> Space Cowboy wrote:
> >
> > If there was a video I missed it.

> Not only video, but videos -- about 7 various download formats are
> available as well as streaming options in Quicktime and Real, all under
> the title screen shot. If you have broadband, just download the MPEG4
> or MPEG1 file and see this thing in moving glory. It really is a
> fascinating film.
>
> > There was a gallery of still shots

Alex Chaihorsky

Let us say I have a problem. In 1981 when I was detained by KGB (it was the
time of contra-detente) I told the interrogating officer that I believe that
USSR will fell apart within 10 years. He laughed and told me that playing an
idiot won't help me. I told him that I am not playing anything - he can ask
around - I came to this conclusion the moment we invaded Afghanistan. In my
analysis the slightest hope that USSR will be able to survive another 25-50
years was shattered the day it happened.
He made several calls and found out that I did say that many times. His
attitude changed immediately. I was not an enemy - I was just sick in my
head. He was nice. He was compassionate. And you know what? He let me go.
Honestly, I swear, he just let me go. I have many witnesses of me telling
everybody that USSR is no more way back in 1981 and of course later. And
absolute majority of my friends be they pro- or anti-Soviet with a tiny-tiny
exception of one or two - believed that I was an idiot.

See, Michael, there are two ways to argue - address your opponent's
arguments and dismantle them or put out your own that contradict your
opponents arguments. Anything else is a political confrontation when
everybody knows the result ahead of the time, people just make statements.
So if that what you want to do- fine. But if you want to have a good,
serious discussion about the matter - please, ARGUE. With arguments. Then,
at the end you will probably find out that nobody has a problem - people
just come to different conclusions because they evaluate things differently
and have different view angles. And you won't have to suggest that I am
crazy.
I'd love to meet that KGB guy, Major Kapustin some day. Thank him for
letting me go and ask him what did it take for him to see that the King is
naked and actually - dead.

Sasha.

> [...]
>> US
>> will start losing its grip on the world (give it a 10 years if we keep
>> doing
>> what we are doing) and they will have to start looking for themselves.
>>
>> If you want to become a chess player you study for years it and then you
>> may
>> become one. But leaving in the same building where they make the chess
>> boards from wood won't make you a player.
>>
>> Sasha.

>>> In all seriousness, you really should watch this film, Alex. Having
>>> never been to Japan, you'll certainly find it instructive. Goodness,
>>> even I -- who lived there almost 10 years -- and my native Japanese wife
>>> learned something. Did you know that roving tofu sellers used to
>>> actually cut the tofu blocks into small, ready-for-soup pieces?

Alex Chaihorsky

> [...]

>> US
>> will start losing its grip on the world (give it a 10 years if we keep
>> doing
>> what we are doing) and they will have to start looking for themselves.
>>
>> If you want to become a chess player you study for years it and then you
>> may
>> become one. But leaving in the same building where they make the chess
>> boards from wood won't make you a player.
>>
>> Sasha.

>>> In all seriousness, you really should watch this film, Alex. Having
>>> never been to Japan, you'll certainly find it instructive. Goodness,
>>> even I -- who lived there almost 10 years -- and my native Japanese wife
>>> learned something. Did you know that roving tofu sellers used to
>>> actually cut the tofu blocks into small, ready-for-soup pieces?

crymad

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

[...]
> But of course these are just guesses.

In other words, you don't know what you're talking about.

> I just believe that visiting a country does nothing to knowing it better
> comparing with STUDYING the country, culture, history, language.

I'd say living in another country almost 10 years, interrupted by only a
couple brief visits back to the US, qualifies as more than a "visit".
And this wasn't some diplomatic or business or military post that had me
surrounded by other Americans, speaking English all day. I lived and
worked with Japanese.

> I'll give
> you an example. Mike Petro, I am sure, knows hundreds times more about
> puerhs that an average Chinese, who lived there all his life. I am not
> trying to make fun of you, honestly, and I never knew you had a Japanese
> wife, but so many times in my life I heard that (I am not claiming that you
> do that) - oh, sure I know - my wife is ... Or - sure, I know, my husband
> travels there constantly.
> I do not buy that as an argument. The most knowledgeable experts I knew were
> people who studied the whole region, not just one country for years and
> years, never went there for obvious reasons

Oh, you wicked scoundrel, Alex. The implications of that little smiley
face, so full of off-color suggestions and ribaldry. If you must know,
I both met my wife and married in the US. So my exodus to Japan was not
for those other reasons. As for yourself, what of your intentions in
traveling to East Siberia, where you came to your understanding of
Bushido Spirit? You wrote:

"I will not decsribe the underscribable. I cannot hold tears even now.
But anyone who thinks that Bushido is dead should think again. I saw it
alive and strong, bold and noble, right in front of me - in the eyes and
movements of old, defeated samurai and their Russian born, Russian
speaking, half-Russian by blood, sons."

A passionate account, indeed. One wonders exactly what indescribables
transpired there on that fresh wet riverbank.

> That does not mean that some time
> next year "Hakko iti U" will become again a policy

All right. Both I and my wife have stared at this dimwitticism, "Hakko
iti U", mulled it over, slept on it, and have finally come to this
conclusion:

We don't know what the **** it means.

You're obviously trying to say something in Japanese. In spite of your
study and erudition, though, you have failed. You remind me of those
middle-aged Japanese men who, having received good marks on the
standardized tests of their youth, insisted on trying to communicate
with me in English. Desperate they were to show their hard efforts were
not all for for naught, and yet all that managed to issue from their
mouths was gibberish and spit.

--crymad

> >> You are not taking any shots, just avoiding the serious argument. That is
> >> why I thanked you for honorable exit - which is obvious, if this is the
> >> best
> >> you can do.

> > In all seriousness, you really should watch this film, Alex. Having
> > never been to Japan, you'll certainly find it instructive. Goodness,
> > even I -- who lived there almost 10 years -- and my native Japanese wife
> > learned something. Did you know that roving tofu sellers used to
> > actually cut the tofu blocks into small, ready-for-soup pieces?
> >
> > --crymad

crymad

[...]

Bushido Spirit? You wrote:

"I will not decsribe the underscribable. I cannot hold tears even now.
But anyone who thinks that Bushido is dead should think again. I saw it
alive and strong, bold and noble, right in front of me - in the eyes and
movements of old, defeated samurai and their Russian born, Russian
speaking, half-Russian by blood, sons."

A passionate account, indeed. One wonders exactly what indescribables
transpired there on that fresh wet riverbank.

> That does not mean that some time
> next year "Hakko iti U" will become again a policy

All right. Both I and my wife have stared at this dimwitticism, "Hakko
iti U", mulled it over, slept on it, and have finally come to this
conclusion:

We don't know what the **** it means.

You're obviously trying to say something in Japanese. In spite of your
study and erudition, though, you have failed. You remind me of those
middle-aged Japanese men who, having received good marks on the
standardized tests of their youth, insisted on trying to communicate
with me in English. Desperate they were to show their hard efforts were
not all for for naught, and yet all that managed to issue from their
mouths was gibberish and spit.

--crymad

> >> You are not taking any shots, just avoiding the serious argument. That is
> >> why I thanked you for honorable exit - which is obvious, if this is the
> >> best
> >> you can do.

> > In all seriousness, you really should watch this film, Alex. Having
> > never been to Japan, you'll certainly find it instructive. Goodness,
> > even I -- who lived there almost 10 years -- and my native Japanese wife
> > learned something. Did you know that roving tofu sellers used to
> > actually cut the tofu blocks into small, ready-for-soup pieces?
> >
> > --crymad

crymad

The Prelinger Archives is a real treasure trove. Here's the link for
the Children of Japan movie in its entirety (tinyurl seems to be down at
the moment):

http://www.archive.org/movies/detail...26ac3cda066361

--crymad

Space Cowboy wrote:

> I hit the site and the first thing that popped out was the screen
> gallery so I assumed that was your 'video'. I've never come across a
> website that serves video without a catch so I didn't look further.
> I'll give it a look-see over the weekend. I've been looking for video
> about tea on the Internet. I'm not having much luck. Lots of audio
> but no video. I want to see video of monkeys picking tea or virgins
> filling baskets under the moonlight.
>
> Jim
>
> crymad > wrote in message >...
> > Space Cowboy wrote:
> > >
> > > If there was a video I missed it.

> > Not only video, but videos -- about 7 various download formats are
> > available as well as streaming options in Quicktime and Real, all under
> > the title screen shot. If you have broadband, just download the MPEG4
> > or MPEG1 file and see this thing in moving glory. It really is a
> > fascinating film.
> >
> > > There was a gallery of still shots

crymad

Space Cowboy wrote:

> I hit the site and the first thing that popped out was the screen
> gallery so I assumed that was your 'video'. I've never come across a
> website that serves video without a catch so I didn't look further.
> I'll give it a look-see over the weekend. I've been looking for video
> about tea on the Internet. I'm not having much luck. Lots of audio
> but no video. I want to see video of monkeys picking tea or virgins
> filling baskets under the moonlight.
>
> Jim
>
> crymad > wrote in message >...
> > Space Cowboy wrote:
> > >
> > > If there was a video I missed it.

> > Not only video, but videos -- about 7 various download formats are
> > available as well as streaming options in Quicktime and Real, all under
> > the title screen shot. If you have broadband, just download the MPEG4
> > or MPEG1 file and see this thing in moving glory. It really is a
> > fascinating film.
> >
> > > There was a gallery of still shots

Alex Chaihorsky

You should not call me names. I have not done anything wrong. You cannot
call yourself a civilized man if you cannot have a civilized discussion.
Remember what Pete says about Paul tells us more about Pete than Paul.

You said:
> Oh, you wicked scoundrel, Alex. The implications of that little smiley
> face, so full of off-color suggestions and ribaldry. If you must know,
> I both met my wife and married in the US. So my exodus to Japan was not
> for those other reasons.

I have no idea what you found in that smiley face but it meant only one
thing - these guys work as analysts for certain services (not that they told
me so, OBVIOUSLY ) and therefore are not allowed to travel there. I
have not mentioned you or your wife in this sentence. I was talking about my
friends and acquaintances who agree with my ideas. How that connects to you
and your wife? I feel that you owe me an apology.

You asked:
>As for yourself, what of your intentions in
> traveling to East Siberia, where you came to your understanding of
> Bushido Spirit?

I said that in my post - I worked there as a geologist. I also was born in
Siberia, but in its Western part - Siberian Urals.

You said:
> All right. Both I and my wife have stared at this dimwitticism, "Hakko
> iti U", mulled it over, slept on it, and have finally come to this
> conclusion:
> >

> We don't know what the **** it means.

That is very strange. I think that any student of Japanese history knows
what this is - "8 corners (of the world) under one roof" - "the" slogan of
having Asia under Japanese controlling influence. This was the most famous
Japanese militaristic slogan of the times. Its was as famous as Hitler's
"Drang nach Osten" (I may misspell). One does not have to know everything,
but why are you so rude?

You said:
> You're obviously trying to say something in Japanese. In spite of your
> study and erudition, though, you have failed. You remind me of those
> middle-aged Japanese men who, having received good marks on the
> standardized tests of their youth, insisted on trying to communicate
> with me in English. Desperate they were to show their hard efforts were
> not all for for naught, and yet all that managed to issue from their
> mouths was gibberish and spit.

OK, if you insist on insulting me, fine, but here are the characters - 1.
Eight. 2. Large 3. One 4. Roof. The translation - as I said above "Eight
corners (or sides) of the world) under one roof (meaning Japanese
domination).

Your anger is absolutely misplaced and left me wondering - who you really
hate so much? Note that you dumped a lot of anger and gate toward me
personally, but have not addressed one single argument.

Everyone: I am very sorry if my English is not on the level of clarity that
USENET posts should be and if anyone else feel that way, I think I should
better stop posting at all.

Best wishes,

Alex.

Alex Chaihorsky

You said:
> You're obviously trying to say something in Japanese. In spite of your
> study and erudition, though, you have failed. You remind me of those
> middle-aged Japanese men who, having received good marks on the
> standardized tests of their youth, insisted on trying to communicate
> with me in English. Desperate they were to show their hard efforts were
> not all for for naught, and yet all that managed to issue from their
> mouths was gibberish and spit.

OK, if you insist on insulting me, fine, but here are the characters - 1.
Eight. 2. Large 3. One 4. Roof. The translation - as I said above "Eight
corners (or sides) of the world) under one roof (meaning Japanese
domination).

Your anger is absolutely misplaced and left me wondering - who you really
hate so much? Note that you dumped a lot of anger and gate toward me
personally, but have not addressed one single argument.

Everyone: I am very sorry if my English is not on the level of clarity that
USENET posts should be and if anyone else feel that way, I think I should
better stop posting at all.

Best wishes,

Alex.

Alex Chaihorsky

I actually found a site where it is written in kanji.
http://www.geocities.jp/merrier222/s.../1937-1941.htm
Look down at the "1940" section.

Alex.

Rebecca Ore

In article >,
"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote:

When you talk about Russian teas, it's interesting. When you talk about
Russian political concerns about other powers in Asia, it's just not
talk about tea. We need only enough personality to know that there's a
human drinking tea, not more than that.

(And could everyone else just stop responding to the off-topic political
stuff or take it to political groups).

Today, I bought some Chinese oolong from the tea shop in Reading
Terminal Market, and served it to friends semi-gongfu style. It's not
the best Ti Kuan Yin I've had, but it appeared to be a bit better than
my China town red metal box general favorite.

This is a tea drinking group, gentlemen. Can we talk about tea?

crymad

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

> I said:
> >> The most knowledgeable experts I knew were
> >> people who studied the whole region, not just one country for years and
> >> years, never went there for obvious reasons.

> You said:
> > Oh, you wicked scoundrel, Alex. The implications of that little smiley
> > face, so full of off-color suggestions and ribaldry. If you must know,
> > I both met my wife and married in the US. So my exodus to Japan was not
> > for those other reasons.

> I have no idea what you found in that smiley face but it meant only one
> thing - these guys work as analysts for certain services (not that they told
> me so, OBVIOUSLY ) and therefore are not allowed to travel there. I
> have not mentioned you or your wife in this sentence. I was talking about my
> friends and acquaintances who agree with my ideas. How that connects to you
> and your wife? I feel that you owe me an apology.

If this is the case, then we can chalk up the confusion to simple
paragraph structure. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

> I said:
> >> That does not mean that some time
> >> next year "Hakko iti U" will become again a policy

> You said:
> > All right. Both I and my wife have stared at this dimwitticism, "Hakko
> > iti U", mulled it over, slept on it, and have finally come to this
> > conclusion:
> > >

> > We don't know what the **** it means.

> That is very strange. I think that any student of Japanese history knows
> what this is - "8 corners (of the world) under one roof" - "the" slogan of
> having Asia under Japanese controlling influence.

Yes, the meaning is clear now. Had it been written in kanji (or uttered
in Japanese) or simply presented in the standard English translation,
the mystery could have been avoided.

--crymad
crymad

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

> I said:
> >> The most knowledgeable experts I knew were
> >> people who studied the whole region, not just one country for years and
> >> years, never went there for obvious reasons.

> You said:
> > Oh, you wicked scoundrel, Alex. The implications of that little smiley
> > face, so full of off-color suggestions and ribaldry. If you must know,
> > I both met my wife and married in the US. So my exodus to Japan was not
> > for those other reasons.

> I have no idea what you found in that smiley face but it meant only one
> thing - these guys work as analysts for certain services (not that they told
> me so, OBVIOUSLY ) and therefore are not allowed to travel there. I
> have not mentioned you or your wife in this sentence. I was talking about my
> friends and acquaintances who agree with my ideas. How that connects to you
> and your wife? I feel that you owe me an apology.

If this is the case, then we can chalk up the confusion to simple
paragraph structure. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

> I said:
> >> That does not mean that some time
> >> next year "Hakko iti U" will become again a policy

> You said:
> > All right. Both I and my wife have stared at this dimwitticism, "Hakko
> > iti U", mulled it over, slept on it, and have finally come to this
> > conclusion:
> > >

> > We don't know what the **** it means.

> That is very strange. I think that any student of Japanese history knows
> what this is - "8 corners (of the world) under one roof" - "the" slogan of
> having Asia under Japanese controlling influence.

Yes, the meaning is clear now. Had it been written in kanji (or uttered
in Japanese) or simply presented in the standard English translation,
the mystery could have been avoided.

--crymad

crymad

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

> I said:
> >> The most knowledgeable experts I knew were
> >> people who studied the whole region, not just one country for years and
> >> years, never went there for obvious reasons.

> You said:
> > Oh, you wicked scoundrel, Alex. The implications of that little smiley
> > face, so full of off-color suggestions and ribaldry. If you must know,
> > I both met my wife and married in the US. So my exodus to Japan was not
> > for those other reasons.

> I have no idea what you found in that smiley face but it meant only one
> thing - these guys work as analysts for certain services (not that they told
> me so, OBVIOUSLY ) and therefore are not allowed to travel there. I
> have not mentioned you or your wife in this sentence. I was talking about my
> friends and acquaintances who agree with my ideas. How that connects to you
> and your wife? I feel that you owe me an apology.

If this is the case, then we can chalk up the confusion to simple
paragraph structure. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

> I said:
> >> That does not mean that some time
> >> next year "Hakko iti U" will become again a policy

> You said:
> > All right. Both I and my wife have stared at this dimwitticism, "Hakko
> > iti U", mulled it over, slept on it, and have finally come to this
> > conclusion:
> > >

> > We don't know what the **** it means.

> That is very strange. I think that any student of Japanese history knows
> what this is - "8 corners (of the world) under one roof" - "the" slogan of
> having Asia under Japanese controlling influence.

Yes, the meaning is clear now. Had it been written in kanji (or uttered
in Japanese) or simply presented in the standard English translation,
the mystery could have been avoided.

--crymad
Alex Chaihorsky

If you would just re-read the thread you will find that all I did was
describe a Japanese Tea Ceremony among Japanese ex-POWs. The rest is me
answering questions, attacks and name-calling.
This is definitely a tea drinking group, but it is also a free USENET. Deal
with it. Nobody stops you from opening private yahoo group and moderating
it. See how much discussion you can get there. I have nothing against polite
reminders, especially sent over e-mail, but your patronizing tone is out of
place here.

Sasha.

"Rebecca Ore" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote:
>
> When you talk about Russian teas, it's interesting. When you talk about
> Russian political concerns about other powers in Asia, it's just not
> talk about tea. We need only enough personality to know that there's a
> human drinking tea, not more than that.
>
> (And could everyone else just stop responding to the off-topic political
> stuff or take it to political groups).
>
> Today, I bought some Chinese oolong from the tea shop in Reading
> Terminal Market, and served it to friends semi-gongfu style. It's not
> the best Ti Kuan Yin I've had, but it appeared to be a bit better than
> my China town red metal box general favorite.
>
> This is a tea drinking group, gentlemen. Can we talk about tea?

Alex Chaihorsky

If you would just re-read the thread you will find that all I did was
describe a Japanese Tea Ceremony among Japanese ex-POWs. The rest is me
answering questions, attacks and name-calling.
This is definitely a tea drinking group, but it is also a free USENET. Deal
with it. Nobody stops you from opening private yahoo group and moderating
it. See how much discussion you can get there. I have nothing against polite
reminders, especially sent over e-mail, but your patronizing tone is out of
place here.

Sasha.

"Rebecca Ore" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote:
>
> When you talk about Russian teas, it's interesting. When you talk about
> Russian political concerns about other powers in Asia, it's just not
> talk about tea. We need only enough personality to know that there's a
> human drinking tea, not more than that.
>
> (And could everyone else just stop responding to the off-topic political
> stuff or take it to political groups).
>
> Today, I bought some Chinese oolong from the tea shop in Reading
> Terminal Market, and served it to friends semi-gongfu style. It's not
> the best Ti Kuan Yin I've had, but it appeared to be a bit better than
> my China town red metal box general favorite.
>
> This is a tea drinking group, gentlemen. Can we talk about tea?

Rebecca Ore

In article > ,
"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote:

> I have nothing against polite
> reminders, especially sent over e-mail, but your patronizing tone is out of
> place here.

I can't send email from this program and I don't know if you're posting
with a real email address and there are other people besides you who
were going at it.

Plonk for a while.
Rebecca Ore

Goo Worship [email protected] Vegan 1 27-08-2006 11:42 PM
Dont Worship The Antichrist Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD General Cooking 22 25-03-2006 11:09 AM
Worship Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD General Cooking 2 03-03-2006 07:16 AM
I'm tired of food "worship" scarlyn mejia General Cooking 8 08-12-2003 09:21 PM
I'm tired of food "worship" mcdickenm Marketplace 6 08-12-2003 07:34 PM