Melinda

Default Tea "sink" for yixing brewing

Does anyone know 1) What people use for catching the water when they
pour the hot water over the yixing pot as they are warming it and also
to catch the "waste" water that slightly pours over when one is
filling the pot for steeping the tea, and 2) where I can find such a
basin, or slotted tray, or whatever is used. I know that Holy Mountain
has a "tea sink" for sale that looks like it may be used for such a
purpose (and it's nice) but it is $140 and I don't imagine everyone
doing gong fu on here has a $140 tea basin. Thank-you in advance for
your answers.

Melinda
Alex Chaihorsky

There are so many... The whole set of the small slotted (holed) "table" +
small yixin teapot + set of wenxiabei/chabei for 6 people + 100g good
quality Te Guan In tea was 120 yuan in Beijing ($15.00) Here in the US you
can find these things in Chinese supermarkets or online.
Most probably you will be looking at 5 times the price and up.
Another way is to put the teapot in a medium deep ceramic bowl.

Alex.

"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone know 1) What people use for catching the water when they
> pour the hot water over the yixing pot as they are warming it and also
> to catch the "waste" water that slightly pours over when one is
> filling the pot for steeping the tea, and 2) where I can find such a
> basin, or slotted tray, or whatever is used. I know that Holy Mountain
> has a "tea sink" for sale that looks like it may be used for such a
> purpose (and it's nice) but it is $140 and I don't imagine everyone
> doing gong fu on here has a $140 tea basin. Thank-you in advance for
> your answers.
>
> Melinda

Alex Chaihorsky

There are so many... The whole set of the small slotted (holed) "table" +
small yixin teapot + set of wenxiabei/chabei for 6 people + 100g good
quality Te Guan In tea was 120 yuan in Beijing ($15.00) Here in the US you
can find these things in Chinese supermarkets or online.
Most probably you will be looking at 5 times the price and up.
Another way is to put the teapot in a medium deep ceramic bowl.

Alex.

"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone know 1) What people use for catching the water when they
> pour the hot water over the yixing pot as they are warming it and also
> to catch the "waste" water that slightly pours over when one is
> filling the pot for steeping the tea, and 2) where I can find such a
> basin, or slotted tray, or whatever is used. I know that Holy Mountain
> has a "tea sink" for sale that looks like it may be used for such a
> purpose (and it's nice) but it is $140 and I don't imagine everyone
> doing gong fu on here has a $140 tea basin. Thank-you in advance for
> your answers.
>
> Melinda

Falky foo

big plastic tupperware bowl with lid. Punch some holes in the lid.

"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone know 1) What people use for catching the water when they
> pour the hot water over the yixing pot as they are warming it and also
> to catch the "waste" water that slightly pours over when one is
> filling the pot for steeping the tea, and 2) where I can find such a
> basin, or slotted tray, or whatever is used. I know that Holy Mountain
> has a "tea sink" for sale that looks like it may be used for such a
> purpose (and it's nice) but it is $140 and I don't imagine everyone
> doing gong fu on here has a $140 tea basin. Thank-you in advance for
> your answers.
>
> Melinda

Falky foo

big plastic tupperware bowl with lid. Punch some holes in the lid.

"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone know 1) What people use for catching the water when they
> pour the hot water over the yixing pot as they are warming it and also
> to catch the "waste" water that slightly pours over when one is
> filling the pot for steeping the tea, and 2) where I can find such a
> basin, or slotted tray, or whatever is used. I know that Holy Mountain
> has a "tea sink" for sale that looks like it may be used for such a
> purpose (and it's nice) but it is $140 and I don't imagine everyone
> doing gong fu on here has a $140 tea basin. Thank-you in advance for
> your answers.
>
> Melinda

Joanne Rosen

try www.funalliance.com
joanne
"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone know 1) What people use for catching the water when they
> pour the hot water over the yixing pot as they are warming it and also
> to catch the "waste" water that slightly pours over when one is
> filling the pot for steeping the tea, and 2) where I can find such a
> basin, or slotted tray, or whatever is used. I know that Holy Mountain
> has a "tea sink" for sale that looks like it may be used for such a
> purpose (and it's nice) but it is $140 and I don't imagine everyone
> doing gong fu on here has a $140 tea basin. Thank-you in advance for
> your answers.
>
> Melinda

Joanne Rosen

try www.funalliance.com
joanne
"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone know 1) What people use for catching the water when they
> pour the hot water over the yixing pot as they are warming it and also
> to catch the "waste" water that slightly pours over when one is
> filling the pot for steeping the tea, and 2) where I can find such a
> basin, or slotted tray, or whatever is used. I know that Holy Mountain
> has a "tea sink" for sale that looks like it may be used for such a
> purpose (and it's nice) but it is $140 and I don't imagine everyone
> doing gong fu on here has a $140 tea basin. Thank-you in advance for
> your answers.
>
> Melinda

Joseph Kubera

I use a stoneware serving platter. Some yixing sets come with a rather small
"tea boat" about 6 to 8 inches round, which I find to be too small. There are
decent, workable "sinks" to be found at about $50, with wooden slotted top and
plastic removable tray beneath. These work great, and I'd prefer them, but my
tea budget (or is it my cheapness) hasn't allowed me to spring for one yet.

These things come in glazed ceramic too...maybe I just need to keep looking.

Joe Kubera

Darawen Littlestich

not fancy, very utilitarian but it works....large oven roasting pan with a
cookie/cake rack set crosswise over the top.

Melinda wrote:
> Does anyone know 1) What people use for catching the water when they
> pour the hot water over the yixing pot as they are warming it and also
> to catch the "waste" water that slightly pours over when one is
> filling the pot for steeping the tea, and 2) where I can find such a
> basin, or slotted tray, or whatever is used. I know that Holy Mountain
> has a "tea sink" for sale that looks like it may be used for such a
> purpose (and it's nice) but it is $140 and I don't imagine everyone
> doing gong fu on here has a $140 tea basin. Thank-you in advance for
> your answers.
>
> Melinda

Darawen Littlestich

Melinda wrote:
> Does anyone know 1) What people use for catching the water when they
> pour the hot water over the yixing pot as they are warming it and also
> to catch the "waste" water that slightly pours over when one is
> filling the pot for steeping the tea, and 2) where I can find such a
> basin, or slotted tray, or whatever is used. I know that Holy Mountain
> has a "tea sink" for sale that looks like it may be used for such a
> purpose (and it's nice) but it is $140 and I don't imagine everyone
> doing gong fu on here has a $140 tea basin. Thank-you in advance for
> your answers.
>
> Melinda

Michael Plant

Melinda,

I read the posts that preceed me and agree with Joe and others who suggested
a bowl. Personally, I don't like the wood slotted "sinks" because they just
don't please me being perfectly formed and polished. I like a wide soup bowl
sort of thing. My trick is to visit a Chinatown shop, and look for a ceramic
bowl of low quality and price. The hand painted cobolt blue designs on the
"lower" quality bowls tend to be freeer and fit in better with the rest of
my tea stuff. If you think of the visual pleasure along with the pleasure of
the aromas and tastes, it becomes a matter of how you fit things together.
Just my rambling thoughts.

By the way, you just stick the little pot in the middle of the low wide soup
bowl and slop water to your hearts content. Then periodically drain the
dreggy contents of the soup bowl -- now known as "tea boat" -- to the
awaiting waste water jar, or down the sink. Whatever.

Michael

8/31/04

> Does anyone know 1) What people use for catching the water when they
> pour the hot water over the yixing pot as they are warming it and also
> to catch the "waste" water that slightly pours over when one is
> filling the pot for steeping the tea, and 2) where I can find such a
> basin, or slotted tray, or whatever is used. I know that Holy Mountain
> has a "tea sink" for sale that looks like it may be used for such a
> purpose (and it's nice) but it is $140 and I don't imagine everyone
> doing gong fu on here has a $140 tea basin. Thank-you in advance for
> your answers.
>
> Melinda

Tea

I use a very nice broad bowl that I found in New York's Chinatown. Stores
such as Pearl River in New York also have inexpensive tea sets with tea
sinks included.

"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone know 1) What people use for catching the water when they
> pour the hot water over the yixing pot as they are warming it and also
> to catch the "waste" water that slightly pours over when one is
> filling the pot for steeping the tea, and 2) where I can find such a
> basin, or slotted tray, or whatever is used. I know that Holy Mountain
> has a "tea sink" for sale that looks like it may be used for such a
> purpose (and it's nice) but it is $140 and I don't imagine everyone
> doing gong fu on here has a $140 tea basin. Thank-you in advance for
> your answers.
>
> Melinda

Tea

I use a very nice broad bowl that I found in New York's Chinatown. Stores
such as Pearl River in New York also have inexpensive tea sets with tea
sinks included.

"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone know 1) What people use for catching the water when they
> pour the hot water over the yixing pot as they are warming it and also
> to catch the "waste" water that slightly pours over when one is
> filling the pot for steeping the tea, and 2) where I can find such a
> basin, or slotted tray, or whatever is used. I know that Holy Mountain
> has a "tea sink" for sale that looks like it may be used for such a
> purpose (and it's nice) but it is $140 and I don't imagine everyone
> doing gong fu on here has a $140 tea basin. Thank-you in advance for
> your answers.
>
> Melinda

cc

Hi Melinda,

> Does anyone know 1) What people use for catching the water when they
> pour the hot water over the yixing pot as they are warming it and also
> to catch the "waste" water that slightly pours over when one is
> filling the pot for steeping the tea,

The special tea sinks I have seen are either :
-too ugly or poorly designed
-too small, I want to place the pot + the cups + the jar...or it's not worth
it
or
-too expensive for me. People in Taiwan had beautiful ones in their living
room, they use it daily during years, so they pay it as much as an important
piece of furniture and often get the assorted brasero to heat the water.

My solution is to use a high tray (about 30 cm of diametre, designed to
serve sushi rice or other festive food) and wooden platforms for the pot and
little cups (the platforms are sold in the same places as the pots, most
people use them just to exhibit their pots but shopkeepers
told me they were waterproof, and they are).
So I place the whole service on the tray and bring it to the table, the
excess water falls nicely in the bottom of the tray, and it's easy to carry
it to the kitchen when it's finished*I store all the equipment in that tray
too.
The tray seems to be made of wood, sometimes visitors believe it and think I
got it as a set with the Yixing service....but it's plastic and would cost
maybe $5 in a Chinese market, if I had not got it as a commercial present.

*I tried to use a terracotta basin, but for carrying it away and
emptying/drying, it was not so convenient.

Kuri

cc

Hi Melinda,

> Does anyone know 1) What people use for catching the water when they
> pour the hot water over the yixing pot as they are warming it and also
> to catch the "waste" water that slightly pours over when one is
> filling the pot for steeping the tea,

The special tea sinks I have seen are either :
-too ugly or poorly designed
-too small, I want to place the pot + the cups + the jar...or it's not worth
it
or
-too expensive for me. People in Taiwan had beautiful ones in their living
room, they use it daily during years, so they pay it as much as an important
piece of furniture and often get the assorted brasero to heat the water.

My solution is to use a high tray (about 30 cm of diametre, designed to
serve sushi rice or other festive food) and wooden platforms for the pot and
little cups (the platforms are sold in the same places as the pots, most
people use them just to exhibit their pots but shopkeepers
told me they were waterproof, and they are).
So I place the whole service on the tray and bring it to the table, the
excess water falls nicely in the bottom of the tray, and it's easy to carry
it to the kitchen when it's finished*I store all the equipment in that tray
too.
The tray seems to be made of wood, sometimes visitors believe it and think I
got it as a set with the Yixing service....but it's plastic and would cost
maybe $5 in a Chinese market, if I had not got it as a commercial present.

*I tried to use a terracotta basin, but for carrying it away and
emptying/drying, it was not so convenient.

Kuri

Space Cowboy

All I've seen in gongfu sets is a 'catch basin'. What is the purpose of a 'table'.

Jim

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message . com>...
> There are so many... The whole set of the small slotted (holed) "table" +
> small yixin teapot + set of wenxiabei/chabei for 6 people + 100g good
> quality Te Guan In tea was 120 yuan in Beijing ($15.00) Here in the US you
> can find these things in Chinese supermarkets or online.
> Most probably you will be looking at 5 times the price and up.
> Another way is to put the teapot in a medium deep ceramic bowl.
>
> Alex.
>
> "Melinda" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Does anyone know 1) What people use for catching the water when they
> > pour the hot water over the yixing pot as they are warming it and also
> > to catch the "waste" water that slightly pours over when one is
> > filling the pot for steeping the tea, and 2) where I can find such a
> > basin, or slotted tray, or whatever is used. I know that Holy Mountain
> > has a "tea sink" for sale that looks like it may be used for such a
> > purpose (and it's nice) but it is $140 and I don't imagine everyone
> > doing gong fu on here has a $140 tea basin. Thank-you in advance for
> > your answers.
> >
> > Melinda

Space Cowboy

All I've seen in gongfu sets is a 'catch basin'. What is the purpose of a 'table'.

Jim

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message . com>...
> There are so many... The whole set of the small slotted (holed) "table" +
> small yixin teapot + set of wenxiabei/chabei for 6 people + 100g good
> quality Te Guan In tea was 120 yuan in Beijing ($15.00) Here in the US you
> can find these things in Chinese supermarkets or online.
> Most probably you will be looking at 5 times the price and up.
> Another way is to put the teapot in a medium deep ceramic bowl.
>
> Alex.
>
> "Melinda" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Does anyone know 1) What people use for catching the water when they
> > pour the hot water over the yixing pot as they are warming it and also
> > to catch the "waste" water that slightly pours over when one is
> > filling the pot for steeping the tea, and 2) where I can find such a
> > basin, or slotted tray, or whatever is used. I know that Holy Mountain
> > has a "tea sink" for sale that looks like it may be used for such a
> > purpose (and it's nice) but it is $140 and I don't imagine everyone
> > doing gong fu on here has a $140 tea basin. Thank-you in advance for
> > your answers.
> >
> > Melinda

Alex Chaihorsky

Take a look here. http://chineseteas101.com/kungfu_2.htm
This table/tray with holes or slots si called "Cha Ban". Here they use the
table instead of a basin.
Here http://www.imperialtea.com/classroom/GongfuPrep.asp they use both
I have seen the chaban made of wood and yixin clay. This is the same concept
but the tray is made of metal: http://www.tenren.com/stainsteelro.html

Cheers,

Alex.

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
om...
> All I've seen in gongfu sets is a 'catch basin'. What is the purpose of a
> 'table'.
>
> Jim
>
> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
> . com>...
>> There are so many... The whole set of the small slotted (holed) "table" +
>> small yixin teapot + set of wenxiabei/chabei for 6 people + 100g good
>> quality Te Guan In tea was 120 yuan in Beijing ($15.00) Here in the US
>> you
>> can find these things in Chinese supermarkets or online.
>> Most probably you will be looking at 5 times the price and up.
>> Another way is to put the teapot in a medium deep ceramic bowl.
>>
>> Alex.
>>
>> "Melinda" > wrote in message
>> om...
>> > Does anyone know 1) What people use for catching the water when they
>> > pour the hot water over the yixing pot as they are warming it and also
>> > to catch the "waste" water that slightly pours over when one is
>> > filling the pot for steeping the tea, and 2) where I can find such a
>> > basin, or slotted tray, or whatever is used. I know that Holy Mountain
>> > has a "tea sink" for sale that looks like it may be used for such a
>> > purpose (and it's nice) but it is $140 and I don't imagine everyone
>> > doing gong fu on here has a $140 tea basin. Thank-you in advance for
>> > your answers.
>> >
>> > Melinda

Alex Chaihorsky

Take a look here. http://chineseteas101.com/kungfu_2.htm
This table/tray with holes or slots si called "Cha Ban". Here they use the
table instead of a basin.
Here http://www.imperialtea.com/classroom/GongfuPrep.asp they use both
I have seen the chaban made of wood and yixin clay. This is the same concept
but the tray is made of metal: http://www.tenren.com/stainsteelro.html

Cheers,

Alex.

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
om...
> All I've seen in gongfu sets is a 'catch basin'. What is the purpose of a
> 'table'.
>
> Jim
>
> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
> . com>...
>> There are so many... The whole set of the small slotted (holed) "table" +
>> small yixin teapot + set of wenxiabei/chabei for 6 people + 100g good
>> quality Te Guan In tea was 120 yuan in Beijing ($15.00) Here in the US
>> you
>> can find these things in Chinese supermarkets or online.
>> Most probably you will be looking at 5 times the price and up.
>> Another way is to put the teapot in a medium deep ceramic bowl.
>>
>> Alex.
>>
>> "Melinda" > wrote in message
>> om...
>> > Does anyone know 1) What people use for catching the water when they
>> > pour the hot water over the yixing pot as they are warming it and also
>> > to catch the "waste" water that slightly pours over when one is
>> > filling the pot for steeping the tea, and 2) where I can find such a
>> > basin, or slotted tray, or whatever is used. I know that Holy Mountain
>> > has a "tea sink" for sale that looks like it may be used for such a
>> > purpose (and it's nice) but it is $140 and I don't imagine everyone
>> > doing gong fu on here has a $140 tea basin. Thank-you in advance for
>> > your answers.
>> >
>> > Melinda

Space Cowboy

A gongfu master doesn't use slots unless in Lost Wages. Looks like a
new age contraption for occidentals with too much money. Now one leg
should feel longer than the other. All you need is
pot,basin,cups,tray and decades of training. I'm in a Tibet store
today and asked about teapots since they seem more rare than one from
India. What I see is a pastoral porcelain gongfu type pot on a
ceramic stand kept warm by an incense candle. I don't think I was
understood when I said I needed something as big as a Brown Betty. I
came across a herbal shop and bought some scented dried flowers. The
honeysuckle looks EXACTLY like silver needles. I'll have too keep the
two separated. Any tea suggestions for clove buds or red clover?
Unfortunately no orange blossom either US or China. The store had
some real sexy oolong leaf and I can never have enough. I'm kicking
myself I didn't buy any twig tea. I bought some Bewley's Clipper Gold
Tea which is a Keynan blend. I don't know of any other commercial all
Kenya blend. It was a good day for finding tea in shoppes. I still
can't afford the largest Russian Cobalt teapot from St. Petersburg
even after the shop owner was going to give me a 10% discount for $20.

Jim

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message . com>...
> Take a look here. http://chineseteas101.com/kungfu_2.htm
> This table/tray with holes or slots si called "Cha Ban". Here they use the
> table instead of a basin.
> Here http://www.imperialtea.com/classroom/GongfuPrep.asp they use both
> I have seen the chaban made of wood and yixin clay. This is the same concept
> but the tray is made of metal: http://www.tenren.com/stainsteelro.html
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alex.
>
> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> om...
> > All I've seen in gongfu sets is a 'catch basin'. What is the purpose of a
> > 'table'.
> >
> > Jim

Space Cowboy

A gongfu master doesn't use slots unless in Lost Wages. Looks like a
new age contraption for occidentals with too much money. Now one leg
should feel longer than the other. All you need is
pot,basin,cups,tray and decades of training. I'm in a Tibet store
today and asked about teapots since they seem more rare than one from
India. What I see is a pastoral porcelain gongfu type pot on a
ceramic stand kept warm by an incense candle. I don't think I was
understood when I said I needed something as big as a Brown Betty. I
came across a herbal shop and bought some scented dried flowers. The
honeysuckle looks EXACTLY like silver needles. I'll have too keep the
two separated. Any tea suggestions for clove buds or red clover?
Unfortunately no orange blossom either US or China. The store had
some real sexy oolong leaf and I can never have enough. I'm kicking
myself I didn't buy any twig tea. I bought some Bewley's Clipper Gold
Tea which is a Keynan blend. I don't know of any other commercial all
Kenya blend. It was a good day for finding tea in shoppes. I still
can't afford the largest Russian Cobalt teapot from St. Petersburg
even after the shop owner was going to give me a 10% discount for $20.

Jim

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message . com>...
> Take a look here. http://chineseteas101.com/kungfu_2.htm
> This table/tray with holes or slots si called "Cha Ban". Here they use the
> table instead of a basin.
> Here http://www.imperialtea.com/classroom/GongfuPrep.asp they use both
> I have seen the chaban made of wood and yixin clay. This is the same concept
> but the tray is made of metal: http://www.tenren.com/stainsteelro.html
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alex.
>
> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> om...
> > All I've seen in gongfu sets is a 'catch basin'. What is the purpose of a
> > 'table'.
> >
> > Jim

Alex Chaihorsky

Anyway, Melinda -
You asked, I answered. Its a big question what one "needs" or does not
"need", including gongfu per se and finally, tea itself.
And you do not "need" decades of training, do not worry.
As for the trays they can be very useful or not at all - depends on
circumstances. Roy at Imperial Teahouse uses them because he has beautiful
wooden tables and he wants to protect them from spills, so he puts a round
metal table (see link at tenren) below the basin. It is also convenient as a
tea accessories storage and as a tray to bring things to the table at once.

You decide.

Alex.

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
om...
>A gongfu master doesn't use slots unless in Lost Wages. Looks like a
> new age contraption for occidentals with too much money. Now one leg
> should feel longer than the other. All you need is
> pot,basin,cups,tray and decades of training. I'm in a Tibet store
> today and asked about teapots since they seem more rare than one from
> India. What I see is a pastoral porcelain gongfu type pot on a
> ceramic stand kept warm by an incense candle. I don't think I was
> understood when I said I needed something as big as a Brown Betty. I
> came across a herbal shop and bought some scented dried flowers. The
> honeysuckle looks EXACTLY like silver needles. I'll have too keep the
> two separated. Any tea suggestions for clove buds or red clover?
> Unfortunately no orange blossom either US or China. The store had
> some real sexy oolong leaf and I can never have enough. I'm kicking
> myself I didn't buy any twig tea. I bought some Bewley's Clipper Gold
> Tea which is a Keynan blend. I don't know of any other commercial all
> Kenya blend. It was a good day for finding tea in shoppes. I still
> can't afford the largest Russian Cobalt teapot from St. Petersburg
> even after the shop owner was going to give me a 10% discount for $20.
>
> Jim
>
> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
> . com>...
>> Take a look here. http://chineseteas101.com/kungfu_2.htm
>> This table/tray with holes or slots si called "Cha Ban". Here they use
>> the
>> table instead of a basin.
>> Here http://www.imperialtea.com/classroom/GongfuPrep.asp they use both
>> I have seen the chaban made of wood and yixin clay. This is the same
>> concept
>> but the tray is made of metal: http://www.tenren.com/stainsteelro.html
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Alex.
>>
>> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
>> om...
>> > All I've seen in gongfu sets is a 'catch basin'. What is the purpose
>> > of a
>> > 'table'.
>> >
>> > Jim

Derek

Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:

> 9/3/04
>
>> Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:
>>
>>> Space
9/2/04

>>> snip
>>>
>>> Couldn't agree more, Jim. With the exception of teapots, my favorite Gung Fu
>>> stuff is street finds. Those slotted things are just too picture perfect for
>>> my taste. My latest was a set of three little cups copped in a street fair
>>> at three bucks a piece. She said they were 100 years old, but I doubt it.
>>> Even so, they're crudely glazed celedon, a bit heavy, and just the exact
>>> right thing for Pu-erh. Not sure about the leg thing. Not sure about the
>>> need for decades of training either, but then I'm a Western fool.

>> Decades of training might be necessary if one is focused on performing the
>> ceremony to perfection.
>>
>> But the process of preparing Gung Fu tea doesn't take decades of training
>> in order to produce a tasty cuppa.

> Nothing is more pitiful than spending decades training for Gung Fu mastery
> only to find some upstart pops in, catches the spirit, and runs with it in a
> sudden burst with nary a day of training whatsoever.

How about someone who spent decades training and still produces a less
palatable cup of tea than the upstart?

--
Derek

The harder you try, the dumber you look.
Derek

Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:

> 9/3/04
>
>> Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:
>>
>>> Space
9/2/04

>>> snip
>>>
>>> Couldn't agree more, Jim. With the exception of teapots, my favorite Gung Fu
>>> stuff is street finds. Those slotted things are just too picture perfect for
>>> my taste. My latest was a set of three little cups copped in a street fair
>>> at three bucks a piece. She said they were 100 years old, but I doubt it.
>>> Even so, they're crudely glazed celedon, a bit heavy, and just the exact
>>> right thing for Pu-erh. Not sure about the leg thing. Not sure about the
>>> need for decades of training either, but then I'm a Western fool.

>> Decades of training might be necessary if one is focused on performing the
>> ceremony to perfection.
>>
>> But the process of preparing Gung Fu tea doesn't take decades of training
>> in order to produce a tasty cuppa.

> Nothing is more pitiful than spending decades training for Gung Fu mastery
> only to find some upstart pops in, catches the spirit, and runs with it in a
> sudden burst with nary a day of training whatsoever.

How about someone who spent decades training and still produces a less
palatable cup of tea than the upstart?

--
Derek

The harder you try, the dumber you look.

Space Cowboy

You slide that water filled tray across the table six inches after tea
service and you'll leave scratches a cat would envy. Just because I
don't spill tea doesn't make me a gongfu master. I'll guarantee if
the customer serves themselves from the tray or table provide bibs for
everybody. My local tea shoppe vendor has a similar problem at his
tea tables. He's tossing his first generations of pots for a second
generation that is more tilt proof. New tea customers don't have any
clue how to handle a tea pot especially the ones holding the tea pot
bottom up trying to dump the leaves. The hallmark of gongfu is
simplicity and not elegance. I decided. I'd ask the proprietor if
regular gongfu service is cheaper.

Jim

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message . com>...
> Anyway, Melinda -
> You asked, I answered. Its a big question what one "needs" or does not
> "need", including gongfu per se and finally, tea itself.
> And you do not "need" decades of training, do not worry.
> As for the trays they can be very useful or not at all - depends on
> circumstances. Roy at Imperial Teahouse uses them because he has beautiful
> wooden tables and he wants to protect them from spills, so he puts a round
> metal table (see link at tenren) below the basin. It is also convenient as a
> tea accessories storage and as a tray to bring things to the table at once.
>
> You decide.
>
> Alex.
>

> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> om...
> >A gongfu master doesn't use slots unless in Lost Wages. Looks like a
> > new age contraption for occidentals with too much money. Now one leg
> > should feel longer than the other.

Space Cowboy

You slide that water filled tray across the table six inches after tea
service and you'll leave scratches a cat would envy. Just because I
don't spill tea doesn't make me a gongfu master. I'll guarantee if
the customer serves themselves from the tray or table provide bibs for
everybody. My local tea shoppe vendor has a similar problem at his
tea tables. He's tossing his first generations of pots for a second
generation that is more tilt proof. New tea customers don't have any
clue how to handle a tea pot especially the ones holding the tea pot
bottom up trying to dump the leaves. The hallmark of gongfu is
simplicity and not elegance. I decided. I'd ask the proprietor if
regular gongfu service is cheaper.

Jim

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message . com>...
> Anyway, Melinda -
> You asked, I answered. Its a big question what one "needs" or does not
> "need", including gongfu per se and finally, tea itself.
> And you do not "need" decades of training, do not worry.
> As for the trays they can be very useful or not at all - depends on
> circumstances. Roy at Imperial Teahouse uses them because he has beautiful
> wooden tables and he wants to protect them from spills, so he puts a round
> metal table (see link at tenren) below the basin. It is also convenient as a
> tea accessories storage and as a tray to bring things to the table at once.
>
> You decide.
>
> Alex.
>

> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> om...
> >A gongfu master doesn't use slots unless in Lost Wages. Looks like a
> > new age contraption for occidentals with too much money. Now one leg
> > should feel longer than the other.

Michael Plant

/3/04

> Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:
>
>> 9/3/04
>>
>>> Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:

9/2/04

>>> Decades of training might be necessary if one is focused on performing the
>>> ceremony to perfection.
>>>
>>> But the process of preparing Gung Fu tea doesn't take decades of training
>>> in order to produce a tasty cuppa.

>> Nothing is more pitiful than spending decades training for Gung Fu mastery
>> only to find some upstart pops in, catches the spirit, and runs with it in a
>> sudden burst with nary a day of training whatsoever.

> How about someone who spent decades training and still produces a less
> palatable cup of tea than the upstart?

Derek I think you got it!

Michael Plant

/3/04

> Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:
>
>> 9/3/04
>>
>>> Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:

9/2/04

>>> Decades of training might be necessary if one is focused on performing the
>>> ceremony to perfection.
>>>
>>> But the process of preparing Gung Fu tea doesn't take decades of training
>>> in order to produce a tasty cuppa.

>> Nothing is more pitiful than spending decades training for Gung Fu mastery
>> only to find some upstart pops in, catches the spirit, and runs with it in a
>> sudden burst with nary a day of training whatsoever.

> How about someone who spent decades training and still produces a less
> palatable cup of tea than the upstart?

Derek I think you got it!

Melinda

Many thanks for everyone's input. I liked the idea of finding a large
"Asian" style bowl at my local grocer and may go that route, but I
also like funalliance.com and at some point I may pick up something
from them. Pouring water over the pot in a bowl or container is a
little messy since the teapot is sitting in the water then, at least
temporarily, but I'm sure I can rig something where it will be easier.
I was using a large quiche dish before, so something a little more
appropriate to the spirit of the teapot would be the next step I
think... Thanks again.

Melinda

Derek

Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:

> /3/04
>
>> Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:
>>
>>> 9/3/04

9/2/04

>>> Nothing is more pitiful than spending decades training for Gung Fu mastery
>>> only to find some upstart pops in, catches the spirit, and runs with it in a
>>> sudden burst with nary a day of training whatsoever.

>> How about someone who spent decades training and still produces a less
>> palatable cup of tea than the upstart?

> Derek I think you got it!

Nah, not yet. My LTS has Gung Fu equipment, though. And it's on my shopping
list.

--
Derek

None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Derek

Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:

> /3/04
>
>> Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:
>>
>>> 9/3/04

9/2/04

>>> Nothing is more pitiful than spending decades training for Gung Fu mastery
>>> only to find some upstart pops in, catches the spirit, and runs with it in a
>>> sudden burst with nary a day of training whatsoever.

>> How about someone who spent decades training and still produces a less
>> palatable cup of tea than the upstart?

> Derek I think you got it!

Nah, not yet. My LTS has Gung Fu equipment, though. And it's on my shopping
list.

--
Derek

None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Derek

Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:

> /3/04
>
>> Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:
>>
>>> 9/3/04

9/2/04

>>> Nothing is more pitiful than spending decades training for Gung Fu mastery
>>> only to find some upstart pops in, catches the spirit, and runs with it in a
>>> sudden burst with nary a day of training whatsoever.

>> How about someone who spent decades training and still produces a less
>> palatable cup of tea than the upstart?

> Derek I think you got it!

Nah, not yet. My LTS has Gung Fu equipment, though. And it's on my shopping
list.

--
Derek

None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Joseph Kubera

I actually like gongfu accessories, but don't like spending a lot for stuff
other than the pots. If I found a sink at a price I liked, I'd like to have
one.

However, I am already in over my head. I bought a rather basic, good-value
6-person gongfu service that mostly sits unused. Now what I need is more
oolong-loving friends.

Joe