Joseph Kubera

I actually like gongfu accessories, but don't like spending a lot for stuff
other than the pots. If I found a sink at a price I liked, I'd like to have
one.

However, I am already in over my head. I bought a rather basic, good-value
6-person gongfu service that mostly sits unused. Now what I need is more
oolong-loving friends.

Joe
Doug and Claire English

Are we talking Gung Fu tea or zen ten ?

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:
>
> > /3/04
> >
> >> Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:

9/2/04

leg

Gung

perfect

street fair

doubt it.

exact

the

performing the

training

mastery

it in a

> >> How about someone who spent decades training and still produces a less
> >> palatable cup of tea than the upstart?

> > Derek I think you got it!

> Nah, not yet. My LTS has Gung Fu equipment, though. And it's on my

shopping
> list.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Doug and Claire English

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:
>
> > /3/04
> >
> >> Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:

9/2/04

leg

Gung

perfect

street fair

doubt it.

exact

the

performing the

training

mastery

it in a

> >> How about someone who spent decades training and still produces a less
> >> palatable cup of tea than the upstart?

> > Derek I think you got it!

> Nah, not yet. My LTS has Gung Fu equipment, though. And it's on my

shopping
> list.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Derek

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 21:07:57 -0500, Doug and Claire English wrote:

> Are we talking Gung Fu tea or zen ten ?

What's the difference? I've never heard of "zen ten."

--
Derek

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is
you.
Derek

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 21:07:57 -0500, Doug and Claire English wrote:

> Are we talking Gung Fu tea or zen ten ?

What's the difference? I've never heard of "zen ten."

--
Derek

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is
you.

Alex Chaihorsky

Zen Ten is a far more sophisticated method. It takes about 10 additional
years to study and you have to sign a special oath to Chinese Government and
maintain celibacy.
If you are accepted you need to deposit $25,000 into a Swiss bank account,
start your Gongfu studies and after first ten years the will call you. If
you have not been completely celibate during that time they never call you
and your money is gone.
I am surprised you never heard of it.

Alex.

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 21:07:57 -0500, Doug and Claire English wrote:
>
>> Are we talking Gung Fu tea or zen ten ?

> What's the difference? I've never heard of "zen ten."
>
> --
> Derek
>
> The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is
> you.

Alex Chaihorsky

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 21:07:57 -0500, Doug and Claire English wrote:
>
>> Are we talking Gung Fu tea or zen ten ?

> What's the difference? I've never heard of "zen ten."
>
> --
> Derek
>
> The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is
> you.

Derek

Alex Chaihorsky rose quietly and spake the following:

> Zen Ten is a far more sophisticated method. It takes about 10 additional
> years to study and you have to sign a special oath to Chinese Government and
> maintain celibacy.
> If you are accepted you need to deposit $25,000 into a Swiss bank account,
> start your Gongfu studies and after first ten years the will call you. If
> you have not been completely celibate during that time they never call you
> and your money is gone.
> I am surprised you never heard of it.
>
> Alex.

Isn't that the program that's run out of Nigeria?

--
Derek

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
Derek

Alex Chaihorsky rose quietly and spake the following:

> Zen Ten is a far more sophisticated method. It takes about 10 additional
> years to study and you have to sign a special oath to Chinese Government and
> maintain celibacy.
> If you are accepted you need to deposit $25,000 into a Swiss bank account,
> start your Gongfu studies and after first ten years the will call you. If
> you have not been completely celibate during that time they never call you
> and your money is gone.
> I am surprised you never heard of it.
>
> Alex.

Isn't that the program that's run out of Nigeria?

--
Derek

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
Space Cowboy

The idea of perfection in Western societies is repetition so a good
mime is all you need. The idea of perfection in Eastern societies is
harmony so a gong fu master may never transcend technique and order
but he'll die with a smile on his face. Restaurant gongfu service
means you have to find Buddha on the road and kill him. I can imagine
on a Monday the waiter backing butt first into the dining area through
the kitchen door tripping over the Sunday dim sum cart showering the
gongfu contents all over the patrons with the unfortunate table by the
kitchen because the maitre'd didn't recognize them as regular
customers or they didn't tip on the last visit. Tradition and
innovation has merits but don't confuse the two. The British tasty
cuppa is a good example. You don't need gongfu. Ever once in a while
I'm in that place where I pass Einstein in the space-time continuum.
Which leads me to my newest adventure this week adding scented flowers
to tea. So far: honeysuckle and assam, clove and darjeeling, rose
buds and keemun. The funniest is the clove which will just bobble
like upside down corks. The honeysuckle needs extended infusion first
to open the buds and look like squid. The rose imparts a wonderful
blood red hue but will gracefully die with the leaf. I'll have to do
some more work adjusting the taste because a little goes a long way.
I think the trick is to marinate the two instead of shaking hands in
the pot.

Jim

Derek > wrote in message >...
> Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:
>
> > Space 9/2/04
> >

> >> A gongfu master doesn't use slots unless in Lost Wages. Looks like a
> >> new age contraption for occidentals with too much money. Now one leg
> >> should feel longer than the other. All you need is
> >> pot,basin,cups,tray and decades of training.

> > snip
> >
> > Couldn't agree more, Jim. With the exception of teapots, my favorite Gung Fu
> > stuff is street finds. Those slotted things are just too picture perfect for
> > my taste. My latest was a set of three little cups copped in a street fair
> > at three bucks a piece. She said they were 100 years old, but I doubt it.
> > Even so, they're crudely glazed celedon, a bit heavy, and just the exact
> > right thing for Pu-erh. Not sure about the leg thing. Not sure about the
> > need for decades of training either, but then I'm a Western fool.

> Decades of training might be necessary if one is focused on performing the
> ceremony to perfection.
>
> But the process of preparing Gung Fu tea doesn't take decades of training
> in order to produce a tasty cuppa.

Space Cowboy

Derek > wrote in message >...
> Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:
>
> > Space 9/2/04
> >

> >> A gongfu master doesn't use slots unless in Lost Wages. Looks like a
> >> new age contraption for occidentals with too much money. Now one leg
> >> should feel longer than the other. All you need is
> >> pot,basin,cups,tray and decades of training.

> > snip
> >
> > Couldn't agree more, Jim. With the exception of teapots, my favorite Gung Fu
> > stuff is street finds. Those slotted things are just too picture perfect for
> > my taste. My latest was a set of three little cups copped in a street fair
> > at three bucks a piece. She said they were 100 years old, but I doubt it.
> > Even so, they're crudely glazed celedon, a bit heavy, and just the exact
> > right thing for Pu-erh. Not sure about the leg thing. Not sure about the
> > need for decades of training either, but then I'm a Western fool.

> Decades of training might be necessary if one is focused on performing the
> ceremony to perfection.
>
> But the process of preparing Gung Fu tea doesn't take decades of training
> in order to produce a tasty cuppa.

Space Cowboy

Derek > wrote in message >...
> Michael Plant rose quietly and spake the following:
>
> > Space 9/2/04
> >

> >> A gongfu master doesn't use slots unless in Lost Wages. Looks like a
> >> new age contraption for occidentals with too much money. Now one leg
> >> should feel longer than the other. All you need is
> >> pot,basin,cups,tray and decades of training.

> > snip
> >
> > Couldn't agree more, Jim. With the exception of teapots, my favorite Gung Fu
> > stuff is street finds. Those slotted things are just too picture perfect for
> > my taste. My latest was a set of three little cups copped in a street fair
> > at three bucks a piece. She said they were 100 years old, but I doubt it.
> > Even so, they're crudely glazed celedon, a bit heavy, and just the exact
> > right thing for Pu-erh. Not sure about the leg thing. Not sure about the
> > need for decades of training either, but then I'm a Western fool.

> Decades of training might be necessary if one is focused on performing the
> ceremony to perfection.
>
> But the process of preparing Gung Fu tea doesn't take decades of training
> in order to produce a tasty cuppa.

Alex Chaihorsky

It was. I think it's run out of Crawford, TX now.

Alex.

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> Alex Chaihorsky rose quietly and spake the following:
>
>> Zen Ten is a far more sophisticated method. It takes about 10 additional
>> years to study and you have to sign a special oath to Chinese Government
>> and
>> maintain celibacy.
>> If you are accepted you need to deposit $25,000 into a Swiss bank
>> account,
>> start your Gongfu studies and after first ten years the will call you.
>> If
>> you have not been completely celibate during that time they never call
>> you
>> and your money is gone.
>> I am surprised you never heard of it.
>>
>> Alex.

> Isn't that the program that's run out of Nigeria?
>
> --
> Derek
>
> There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Alex Chaihorsky

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> Alex Chaihorsky rose quietly and spake the following:
>
>> Zen Ten is a far more sophisticated method. It takes about 10 additional
>> years to study and you have to sign a special oath to Chinese Government
>> and
>> maintain celibacy.
>> If you are accepted you need to deposit $25,000 into a Swiss bank
>> account,
>> start your Gongfu studies and after first ten years the will call you.
>> If
>> you have not been completely celibate during that time they never call
>> you
>> and your money is gone.
>> I am surprised you never heard of it.
>>
>> Alex.

> Isn't that the program that's run out of Nigeria?
>
> --
> Derek
>
> There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Joseph Kubera

>The idea of perfection in Western societies is repetition so a good
>mime is all you need... <large snip>

I'm starting to enjoy Jim's prosody and off-camber stream-of-consciouness.

I need a cup of tea.

Joe

Joseph Kubera

>The idea of perfection in Western societies is repetition so a good
>mime is all you need... <large snip>

I'm starting to enjoy Jim's prosody and off-camber stream-of-consciouness.

I need a cup of tea.

Joe

fLameDogg

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in news:Msk_c.11670$QJ3.5473
@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

<ex-Nigerian tea scam>

> It was. I think it's run out of Crawford, TX now.

Oh, my sides.

--
fD
fLameDogg

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in news:Msk_c.11670$QJ3.5473
@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

<ex-Nigerian tea scam>

> It was. I think it's run out of Crawford, TX now.

Oh, my sides.

--
fD
Alex Chaihorsky

I lived both in the East and West and can only humbly add that categorical
short definitions and generalizing of cultural treats of societies is
definitely a Western thing. I think it came from the tradition of seamen who
had to answer all the questions in taverns about the lands they travel.
Imagine them getting into any depth or lengthy explanations. The beer gets
warm so fast!

Alex.

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> (Space Cowboy) writes:
>
>> The idea of perfection in Western societies is repetition so a good
>> mime is all you need.

> That is, a dead mime, right?
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Alex Chaihorsky

I lived both in the East and West and can only humbly add that categorical
short definitions and generalizing of cultural treats of societies is
definitely a Western thing. I think it came from the tradition of seamen who
had to answer all the questions in taverns about the lands they travel.
Imagine them getting into any depth or lengthy explanations. The beer gets
warm so fast!

Alex.

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> (Space Cowboy) writes:
>
>> The idea of perfection in Western societies is repetition so a good
>> mime is all you need.

> That is, a dead mime, right?
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Space Cowboy

You made me use the dictionary. I'm not everyones cup of tea. Where
did I leave off last week ... What I save at shopping Walmart I'll
usually stop by my local tea shoppe and spend on tea. Day before
yesterday I walk in and the owner has a digital camera taking shots of
his pots. He lined up some in home tea parties because the stay at
housewives are bored with tupperware. (In our state you need a
commercial kitchen to cater. It has sprung up a cottage industry of
'personal chefs' where you use the appliances of the home.) There is
a whole generation of soccer moms who don't have a clue about tea.
They never learned anything from grandma. I mention this again as
another example of ad hominen generational dumbing down let alone
serving tea gongfu style in a restaurant. What I see in his tea room
is the reason I never started one. I don't have the patience. He is
a retired engineer/salesman so this is second nature. He's been
pitching teas at several hospitals and is getting customers whose
doctors told them to cut down on caffeine. It was also a change of
season so I got a cup for the road of Iron Goddess Supreme which is
twice as much as the normally not cheap Iron Buddha. He knows I know
the teas that are more expensive which he sells at the same price for
carry out. A second infusion of the day old leaf tasted like a stale
Taiwan oolong with lot of astringency which was barely tolerable. I
was going to try the leaf a third time but I'm not that cheap. I
mentioned my new endeavor of finding scented flowers. He mentioned
he'll be stocking a scented magnolia tea. Yep you guessed it nobody
carries the flower. Looks like I have to pay the piper. What weights
more an oz of flowers or an oz of tea? Nothing in the flowers is over
$1.50/oz. Wish I could say that about non commercial tea prices. I
like talking about my local tea shoppe because it is absolutely
wonderful to walk into a place and being able to feel at home even
though it forces me to shop at Walmart. I haven't forgot about my
ethnic markets. Right up the road a new one opened up that is bigger
than the Walmart supercenter where I shop. You can buy goat milk at
Walmart. It makes a wonderful quiche. It is one of about six across
the country opened by a Chinese entrepreneur who is banking Asians
have money to spend. I spent half a day there last week and still
missed some. It's where I discovered machairi which was first
mentioned in the group late 99 as matcha-iri. What was I doing back
then that I couldn't go find some? You can never know if a mime is
dead. For those who think the world is a complicated place with
different historical forces and cultural values think two words smart
bomb. Which makes you think why do we need ambassadors?

Jim

(Joseph Kubera) wrote in message >...
> >The idea of perfection in Western societies is repetition so a good
> >mime is all you need... <large snip>

> I'm starting to enjoy Jim's prosody and off-camber stream-of-consciouness.
>
> I need a cup of tea.
>
> Joe

Space Cowboy

> [...]
Walmart. It makes a wonderful quiche. It is one of about six across
the country opened by a Chinese entrepreneur who is banking Asians
have money to spend. I spent half a day there last week and still
missed some. It's where I discovered machairi which was first
mentioned in the group late 99 as matcha-iri. What was I doing back
then that I couldn't go find some? You can never know if a mime is
dead. For those who think the world is a complicated place with
different historical forces and cultural values think two words smart
bomb. Which makes you think why do we need ambassadors?

Jim

(Joseph Kubera) wrote in message >...
> >The idea of perfection in Western societies is repetition so a good
> >mime is all you need... <large snip>

> I'm starting to enjoy Jim's prosody and off-camber stream-of-consciouness.

Space Cowboy

> [...]
Walmart. It makes a wonderful quiche. It is one of about six across
the country opened by a Chinese entrepreneur who is banking Asians
have money to spend. I spent half a day there last week and still
missed some. It's where I discovered machairi which was first
mentioned in the group late 99 as matcha-iri. What was I doing back
then that I couldn't go find some? You can never know if a mime is
dead. For those who think the world is a complicated place with
different historical forces and cultural values think two words smart
bomb. Which makes you think why do we need ambassadors?

Jim

(Joseph Kubera) wrote in message >...
> >The idea of perfection in Western societies is repetition so a good
> >mime is all you need... <large snip>

> I'm starting to enjoy Jim's prosody and off-camber stream-of-consciouness.

samarkand

Hi Melinda,

One is spoilt with options in what to get for brewing tea. Very often at
the end of the day, one may end up with things that one doesn't need, or
seem unncessary.

Main question to ask yourself is whether you want to brew a cup of tea, or
just want to doodle with the thought of yourself brewing a cup of tea with
all flowery movements.

Gongfu tea style has moved out of its humble origins and evolved into a
flowery art form which is so enticing to the westerners, are you one of
them?

We are so caught up with the flowery art form of gongfu tea style that we
forget sometimes that in the old days, to brew gongfu tea, what one needed
was just a good teapot, a bowl to sit the pot in, and small half golfball
size teacups. The term 'gongfu' isn't what one sees from old Bruce Lee
flicks, but rather, the ability to handle very hot water (washing the cups
in the bowl, and lifting the pot from the hot water which it is half
submerged in), and drink the tea piping hot and quickly like an espresso.
The other part of 'gongfu' indicates the 'length of time' one has to idle
away while enjoying tea.

If you find using a bowl a hassle, and buying a chapan pricey, pop into one
of the cook's store or asian grocery and hunt for a steel steaming tray
which has a rack punctured with draining holes, and which sits perfectly on
the tray.

"Melinda" > wrote in message
m...
> Many thanks for everyone's input. I liked the idea of finding a large
> "Asian" style bowl at my local grocer and may go that route, but I
> also like funalliance.com and at some point I may pick up something
> from them. Pouring water over the pot in a bowl or container is a
> little messy since the teapot is sitting in the water then, at least
> temporarily, but I'm sure I can rig something where it will be easier.
> I was using a large quiche dish before, so something a little more
> appropriate to the spirit of the teapot would be the next step I
> think... Thanks again.
>
> Melinda

Alex Chaihorsky

> Gongfu tea style has moved out of its humble origins and evolved into a
> flowery art form which is so enticing to the westerners, are you one of
> them?

I do not think gong fu in America "evolved" into anything flowery mostly
because tea culture does not exist here. Tea houses here are rare,
traditional Chinese teahouses are very few (may be 10-20 in the whole US),
probably 90% or so of tea is drunk with ice.
Europe, Russia and may be Central Asia are different, but US? I follow a
very good Russian tea site and thing I hear about tea clubs in Russia are
mind-boggling. They evolved into something decadent and extreme
pseudo-sophisticated. Which is normal - how else you are going to charge
$200 for a teapot of tea?
The whole Bay Area with its hundresds and hundreds of Chinese and Japanese
restorants has how many traditional Chionese teahouses that offer gong fu? I
know one - Imperial Palace. And the gongfu there is very humble and simple,
as a matter of fact one has to ask for wenxiangbei, they do not include them
by default.

Hey, is there a meaning to your nick "samarkand"? Are you writing to us from
Uzbekistan?

Sasha.

Alex Chaihorsky

> Gongfu tea style has moved out of its humble origins and evolved into a
> flowery art form which is so enticing to the westerners, are you one of
> them?

I do not think gong fu in America "evolved" into anything flowery mostly
because tea culture does not exist here. Tea houses here are rare,
traditional Chinese teahouses are very few (may be 10-20 in the whole US),
probably 90% or so of tea is drunk with ice.
Europe, Russia and may be Central Asia are different, but US? I follow a
very good Russian tea site and thing I hear about tea clubs in Russia are
mind-boggling. They evolved into something decadent and extreme
pseudo-sophisticated. Which is normal - how else you are going to charge
$200 for a teapot of tea?
The whole Bay Area with its hundresds and hundreds of Chinese and Japanese
restorants has how many traditional Chionese teahouses that offer gong fu? I
know one - Imperial Palace. And the gongfu there is very humble and simple,
as a matter of fact one has to ask for wenxiangbei, they do not include them
by default.

Hey, is there a meaning to your nick "samarkand"? Are you writing to us from
Uzbekistan?

Sasha.

Melinda

I really am not worried about "flowery" but I need something
utilitarian because (to me) one of the main reasons I am doing gong fu
(because believe me, when I saw how "precious and cute and oh my
collectable!!" those Yixing pots were, I thought twice) is because the
smell of an oolong in a heated and humid clay Yixing pot is like
nothing I have ever experienced before and it got me hooked. That's
really the main motive for me. Thanks for the advice on a teasink
though.

"samarkand" > wrote in message >...
> Hi Melinda,
>
> One is spoilt with options in what to get for brewing tea. Very often at
> the end of the day, one may end up with things that one doesn't need, or
> seem unncessary.
>
> Main question to ask yourself is whether you want to brew a cup of tea, or
> just want to doodle with the thought of yourself brewing a cup of tea with
> all flowery movements.
>
> Gongfu tea style has moved out of its humble origins and evolved into a
> flowery art form which is so enticing to the westerners, are you one of
> them?
>
> We are so caught up with the flowery art form of gongfu tea style that we
> forget sometimes that in the old days, to brew gongfu tea, what one needed
> was just a good teapot, a bowl to sit the pot in, and small half golfball
> size teacups. The term 'gongfu' isn't what one sees from old Bruce Lee
> flicks, but rather, the ability to handle very hot water (washing the cups
> in the bowl, and lifting the pot from the hot water which it is half
> submerged in), and drink the tea piping hot and quickly like an espresso.
> The other part of 'gongfu' indicates the 'length of time' one has to idle
> away while enjoying tea.
>
> If you find using a bowl a hassle, and buying a chapan pricey, pop into one
> of the cook's store or asian grocery and hunt for a steel steaming tray
> which has a rack punctured with draining holes, and which sits perfectly on
> the tray.
>

> "Melinda" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Many thanks for everyone's input. I liked the idea of finding a large
> > "Asian" style bowl at my local grocer and may go that route, but I
> > also like funalliance.com and at some point I may pick up something
> > from them. Pouring water over the pot in a bowl or container is a
> > little messy since the teapot is sitting in the water then, at least
> > temporarily, but I'm sure I can rig something where it will be easier.
> > I was using a large quiche dish before, so something a little more
> > appropriate to the spirit of the teapot would be the next step I
> > think... Thanks again.
> >
> > Melinda

Melinda

"samarkand" > wrote in message >...
> Hi Melinda,
>
> One is spoilt with options in what to get for brewing tea. Very often at
> the end of the day, one may end up with things that one doesn't need, or
> seem unncessary.
>
> Main question to ask yourself is whether you want to brew a cup of tea, or
> just want to doodle with the thought of yourself brewing a cup of tea with
> all flowery movements.
>
> Gongfu tea style has moved out of its humble origins and evolved into a
> flowery art form which is so enticing to the westerners, are you one of
> them?
>
> We are so caught up with the flowery art form of gongfu tea style that we
> forget sometimes that in the old days, to brew gongfu tea, what one needed
> was just a good teapot, a bowl to sit the pot in, and small half golfball
> size teacups. The term 'gongfu' isn't what one sees from old Bruce Lee
> flicks, but rather, the ability to handle very hot water (washing the cups
> in the bowl, and lifting the pot from the hot water which it is half
> submerged in), and drink the tea piping hot and quickly like an espresso.
> The other part of 'gongfu' indicates the 'length of time' one has to idle
> away while enjoying tea.
>
> If you find using a bowl a hassle, and buying a chapan pricey, pop into one
> of the cook's store or asian grocery and hunt for a steel steaming tray
> which has a rack punctured with draining holes, and which sits perfectly on
> the tray.
>

> "Melinda" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Many thanks for everyone's input. I liked the idea of finding a large
> > "Asian" style bowl at my local grocer and may go that route, but I
> > also like funalliance.com and at some point I may pick up something
> > from them. Pouring water over the pot in a bowl or container is a
> > little messy since the teapot is sitting in the water then, at least
> > temporarily, but I'm sure I can rig something where it will be easier.
> > I was using a large quiche dish before, so something a little more
> > appropriate to the spirit of the teapot would be the next step I
> > think... Thanks again.
> >
> > Melinda

Michael Plant

9/20/04

snip

> Main question to ask yourself is whether you want to brew a cup of tea, or
> just want to doodle with the thought of yourself brewing a cup of tea with
> all flowery movements.

That sounds pretty harsh. If by flowery movements you mean the details of
actions and processes that force me to pay close attention to what I am
doing as part of the experience of paying attention to what I am drinking,
then doodle I do.

> Gongfu tea style has moved out of its humble origins and evolved into a
> flowery art form which is so enticing to the westerners, are you one of
> them?

I'm not Melinda, but I am one of them.

> We are so caught up with the flowery art form of gongfu tea style that we
> forget sometimes that in the old days, to brew gongfu tea, what one needed
> was just a good teapot, a bowl to sit the pot in, and small half golfball
> size teacups.

I personally don't like the standard and standardized stuff of Gung-fu.
Like the Japanese way at its best, how things fit and work together on the
table counts for much. I go with the old bowl and good little teapot idea.
So, I hope you are advocating that.

>The term 'gongfu' isn't what one sees from old Bruce Lee
> flicks,

oh, damn.

>but rather, the ability to handle very hot water (washing the cups
> in the bowl, and lifting the pot from the hot water which it is half
> submerged in), and drink the tea piping hot and quickly like an espresso.

I guess the three sips thing is part of flowery movement; perhaps also the
use of tongs?

> The other part of 'gongfu' indicates the 'length of time' one has to idle
> away while enjoying tea.

I have an entire life to idle away. I'm idling now.

Seriously, Samarkand (which is a pretty neat part of the world), these
different Gung-fu perspectives are well worth exploring and I do see your
point.

Is it OK to move from Blind Willie Johnson to John Cage while drinking Meng
Hai Pu-erh?

Michael

Michael Plant

9/20/04

snip

> Main question to ask yourself is whether you want to brew a cup of tea, or
> just want to doodle with the thought of yourself brewing a cup of tea with
> all flowery movements.

That sounds pretty harsh. If by flowery movements you mean the details of
actions and processes that force me to pay close attention to what I am
doing as part of the experience of paying attention to what I am drinking,
then doodle I do.

> Gongfu tea style has moved out of its humble origins and evolved into a
> flowery art form which is so enticing to the westerners, are you one of
> them?

I'm not Melinda, but I am one of them.

> We are so caught up with the flowery art form of gongfu tea style that we
> forget sometimes that in the old days, to brew gongfu tea, what one needed
> was just a good teapot, a bowl to sit the pot in, and small half golfball
> size teacups.

I personally don't like the standard and standardized stuff of Gung-fu.
Like the Japanese way at its best, how things fit and work together on the
table counts for much. I go with the old bowl and good little teapot idea.
So, I hope you are advocating that.

>The term 'gongfu' isn't what one sees from old Bruce Lee
> flicks,

oh, damn.

>but rather, the ability to handle very hot water (washing the cups
> in the bowl, and lifting the pot from the hot water which it is half
> submerged in), and drink the tea piping hot and quickly like an espresso.

I guess the three sips thing is part of flowery movement; perhaps also the
use of tongs?

> The other part of 'gongfu' indicates the 'length of time' one has to idle
> away while enjoying tea.

I have an entire life to idle away. I'm idling now.

Seriously, Samarkand (which is a pretty neat part of the world), these
different Gung-fu perspectives are well worth exploring and I do see your
point.

Is it OK to move from Blind Willie Johnson to John Cage while drinking Meng
Hai Pu-erh?

Michael

Michael Plant

9/20/04

snip

> Main question to ask yourself is whether you want to brew a cup of tea, or
> just want to doodle with the thought of yourself brewing a cup of tea with
> all flowery movements.

That sounds pretty harsh. If by flowery movements you mean the details of
actions and processes that force me to pay close attention to what I am
doing as part of the experience of paying attention to what I am drinking,
then doodle I do.

> Gongfu tea style has moved out of its humble origins and evolved into a
> flowery art form which is so enticing to the westerners, are you one of
> them?

I'm not Melinda, but I am one of them.

> We are so caught up with the flowery art form of gongfu tea style that we
> forget sometimes that in the old days, to brew gongfu tea, what one needed
> was just a good teapot, a bowl to sit the pot in, and small half golfball
> size teacups.

I personally don't like the standard and standardized stuff of Gung-fu.
Like the Japanese way at its best, how things fit and work together on the
table counts for much. I go with the old bowl and good little teapot idea.
So, I hope you are advocating that.

>The term 'gongfu' isn't what one sees from old Bruce Lee
> flicks,

oh, damn.

>but rather, the ability to handle very hot water (washing the cups
> in the bowl, and lifting the pot from the hot water which it is half
> submerged in), and drink the tea piping hot and quickly like an espresso.

I guess the three sips thing is part of flowery movement; perhaps also the
use of tongs?

> The other part of 'gongfu' indicates the 'length of time' one has to idle
> away while enjoying tea.

I have an entire life to idle away. I'm idling now.

Seriously, Samarkand (which is a pretty neat part of the world), these
different Gung-fu perspectives are well worth exploring and I do see your
point.

Is it OK to move from Blind Willie Johnson to John Cage while drinking Meng
Hai Pu-erh?

Michael

Mike Petro

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:55:51 GMT, Michael Plant >
cast caution to the wind and posted:

>Is it OK to move from Blind Willie Johnson to John Cage while drinking Meng
>Hai Pu-erh?

Wow, from Texas Gospel Blues to Sonatas, you didn't strip any gears
did you?

Listening to "Fathers and Sons" (awesome blues) while drinking
Certified Wild Ancient Tree Puer.

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Mike Petro

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:55:51 GMT, Michael Plant >
cast caution to the wind and posted:

>Is it OK to move from Blind Willie Johnson to John Cage while drinking Meng
>Hai Pu-erh?

Wow, from Texas Gospel Blues to Sonatas, you didn't strip any gears
did you?

Listening to "Fathers and Sons" (awesome blues) while drinking
Certified Wild Ancient Tree Puer.

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Mike Petro

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:55:51 GMT, Michael Plant >
cast caution to the wind and posted:

>Is it OK to move from Blind Willie Johnson to John Cage while drinking Meng
>Hai Pu-erh?

Wow, from Texas Gospel Blues to Sonatas, you didn't strip any gears
did you?

Listening to "Fathers and Sons" (awesome blues) while drinking
Certified Wild Ancient Tree Puer.

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Rick Chappell

Mike Petro > wrote:

> Listening to "Fathers and Sons" (awesome blues) while drinking
> Certified Wild Ancient Tree Puer.

The blues are definitely tea music:

Bo-Weavil Blues (Ma Rainey)
"I don't want no man to put no sugar in my tea
I don't want no man to put no sugar in my tea
Some of them's so evil, I'm afraid they might poison me"

Or, if you prefer:

Poverty (Bobby "Blue" Bland)
"My pay goes down and my tax goes up
I drink my tea from a broken cup