Thad the man ([email protected])

Default Glass teas pot and glass/seramic stove tops.

My landlord just replaced the old stove with stoves that have
glass/ceramic tops. The thing is that I have water boiled
in a metalic pot. To me it seems to pick up a metalic taste.

The other thing is that I can figure out from the directions
whether or not it is OK to use a glass teapot on glass topped stove.
Also if I do use it, do I use the circular metalic thingy ( that came
with the pot ) that you are supposed to use with an electric oven?

If not are there nonmetallic alternate pots that can be used?
Dog Ma 1

Default Glass pot and stove tops - WARNING

> AFAIK glass/ceramic tops are
> glass safe and don't require trivets. I still think you could scorch
> a glass pot.

DON'T TAKE A CHANCE!

The issue isn't scorching, but melting. All the glass-topped stoves I've
owned came with warnings not to place glass on the hot surfaces; doing so
would void the warranty. Many common glasses melt at well below the
temperature these stoves achieve. Since most glasses are fully miscible when
molten, this would at least severely damage the cooking surface, and
possibly cause it to shatter on cooling. Could be very dangerous as well as
expensive. Many things also show depressed melting points when mixed (or
even in contact) with other things, so even two higher-melting glasses can
mutually dissolve at a alower temperature. (This phenomenon is exploited in
almost all commercial glass-making, where silica - a main ingredient that
cannot be melted at usual furnace temperatures - dissolves in the other
ingredients.)

A metal trivet will work fine, but a glass or ceramic-lined kettle is faster
and more energy-efficient than using an electric stove to boil water.

-DM

Dog Ma 1