Blair P. Houghton

Default Tea Kettles (stovetop)

Kate Dicey > wrote:
>My own kettle is an electric one. It's glass... Looks good, but a pain
>in the bum as it dribbles when you pour! Trouble is that it was
>expensive and other than the dribble, it works well. Try a few for
>pouring before you buy! One day I'm going to smash this thing if it
>drips scalding water on my feet again!

I posted a rec for this the other day:

http://www.toastess.com/products/products_frame.htm

It's cheap, and it feels cheap, being just a plastic
water pitcher with a big whonking (1 kilowatt) heating
element in it.

But it boils water like it was born to it, and it doesn't
drip that I've ever noticed.

--Blair
"And it doesn't care if you're
heating the water for tea or
soup or coffee or nothing."
trent

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> Kate Dicey > wrote:
> >My own kettle is an electric one. It's glass... Looks good, but a pain
> >in the bum as it dribbles when you pour! Trouble is that it was
> >expensive and other than the dribble, it works well. Try a few for
> >pouring before you buy! One day I'm going to smash this thing if it
> >drips scalding water on my feet again!

> I posted a rec for this the other day:
>
> http://www.toastess.com/products/products_frame.htm
>
> It's cheap, and it feels cheap, being just a plastic
> water pitcher with a big whonking (1 kilowatt) heating
> element in it.
>
> But it boils water like it was born to it, and it doesn't
> drip that I've ever noticed.
>
> --Blair
> "And it doesn't care if you're
> heating the water for tea or
> soup or coffee or nothing."

Hmmm, I'm experiencing Gadget Envy.

trent
--
"This user has a pattern of behaviour in the usenet group chi.forsale
that borders on abusive."
trent

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> Kate Dicey > wrote:
> >My own kettle is an electric one. It's glass... Looks good, but a pain
> >in the bum as it dribbles when you pour! Trouble is that it was
> >expensive and other than the dribble, it works well. Try a few for
> >pouring before you buy! One day I'm going to smash this thing if it
> >drips scalding water on my feet again!

> I posted a rec for this the other day:
>
> http://www.toastess.com/products/products_frame.htm
>
> It's cheap, and it feels cheap, being just a plastic
> water pitcher with a big whonking (1 kilowatt) heating
> element in it.
>
> But it boils water like it was born to it, and it doesn't
> drip that I've ever noticed.
>
> --Blair
> "And it doesn't care if you're
> heating the water for tea or
> soup or coffee or nothing."

Hmmm, I'm experiencing Gadget Envy.

trent
--
"This user has a pattern of behaviour in the usenet group chi.forsale
that borders on abusive."
Space Cowboy

I use a kettle with removable whistle. I prefer it over thumb
latches. It is all stainless steel and boiled empty many times
without damage to stove. It was expensive to start and the only
trouble was getting the whistle to seat properly. I never had
problems with the steam when removed from the heat. Absentmindedly a
couple of times I tried to do that when it was on the stove screaming
it's head off. I've had to look for the whistle a couple of times.
All boiling kettles have their idiosyncrasies. Mine boils fast
without heat transfer through the handle or whistle. It is 2.5qt and
pours easy when full. The lid fits snug and tight. It sits in the
sink and fill through spout from the faucet not wasting a drop. It's
about eight years old and I know I'll have trouble replacing it.

Jim

(Karen Wheless) wrote in message om>...
> I can't recommend a good one, but I discovered a very bad one when I
> bought my last tea kettle. I bought it at Target a year or so ago - I
> can't find a brand name on it, it's not their own brand. It seemed very
> attractive and nice in the store - I don't use a tea kettle that much,
> so I wasn't looking for anything fancy. But once I got it home, I
> discovered that in order to pour out of it, you have to remove the
> whistling cap from the spout. While boiling steam is coming out of the
> spout. This requires fast fingers and an oven mitt, which is really
> stupid - I can't imagine who designed it!
>
> I keep wanting to buy another one, but since I don't use it all that
> often (I don't drink tea or coffee), it seems a waste to spend another
> $10-$20 on an item that isn't broken, exactly, just inconvenient.
> That's a fair sum of money to me.
>
> Karen

Space Cowboy

I use a kettle with removable whistle. I prefer it over thumb
latches. It is all stainless steel and boiled empty many times
without damage to stove. It was expensive to start and the only
trouble was getting the whistle to seat properly. I never had
problems with the steam when removed from the heat. Absentmindedly a
couple of times I tried to do that when it was on the stove screaming
it's head off. I've had to look for the whistle a couple of times.
All boiling kettles have their idiosyncrasies. Mine boils fast
without heat transfer through the handle or whistle. It is 2.5qt and
pours easy when full. The lid fits snug and tight. It sits in the
sink and fill through spout from the faucet not wasting a drop. It's
about eight years old and I know I'll have trouble replacing it.

Jim

(Karen Wheless) wrote in message om>...
> I can't recommend a good one, but I discovered a very bad one when I
> bought my last tea kettle. I bought it at Target a year or so ago - I
> can't find a brand name on it, it's not their own brand. It seemed very
> attractive and nice in the store - I don't use a tea kettle that much,
> so I wasn't looking for anything fancy. But once I got it home, I
> discovered that in order to pour out of it, you have to remove the
> whistling cap from the spout. While boiling steam is coming out of the
> spout. This requires fast fingers and an oven mitt, which is really
> stupid - I can't imagine who designed it!
>
> I keep wanting to buy another one, but since I don't use it all that
> often (I don't drink tea or coffee), it seems a waste to spend another
> $10-$20 on an item that isn't broken, exactly, just inconvenient.
> That's a fair sum of money to me.
>
> Karen

Warren C. Liebold

"RPS" > wrote in message ...
> What's a good stovetop tea kettle? Should have a whistle, convenient to
> operate the spout, and the handle should not get uncomfortably hot.

I own two and I've owned many more over the years.

One other issue I would suggest that you consider is volume. Do you usually
just boil water for one "cup" or perhaps a small pot (2-6 cups). But do you
often boil water for that cup and at the same time also steep a large pot of
iced tea for later (as I do)?

I have a 2 quart (just off of two liter) stainless steel Copco kettle
without a whistle. The only downside is that if you have any tendencies
toward absent-mindedness, the whistle can come in handy.

I also have a 2.5 quart (about 2.3 liter) stainless steel also by Copco that
has a whistle. The handle has a pull that clears away the whistle cap
without a problem, although I usually use an oven mitt since the thing gives
off a bit of heat and steam as you pour.

Personally, I would not buy an aluminum kettle, which would be less
expensive. They seem to fail more readily and they are more likely to be
damaged by loss-of-coolant accidents (LOCA) if you forget about the kettle
and it boils dry.

Warren

Warren C. Liebold

"RPS" > wrote in message ...
> What's a good stovetop tea kettle? Should have a whistle, convenient to
> operate the spout, and the handle should not get uncomfortably hot.

I own two and I've owned many more over the years.

One other issue I would suggest that you consider is volume. Do you usually
just boil water for one "cup" or perhaps a small pot (2-6 cups). But do you
often boil water for that cup and at the same time also steep a large pot of
iced tea for later (as I do)?

I have a 2 quart (just off of two liter) stainless steel Copco kettle
without a whistle. The only downside is that if you have any tendencies
toward absent-mindedness, the whistle can come in handy.

I also have a 2.5 quart (about 2.3 liter) stainless steel also by Copco that
has a whistle. The handle has a pull that clears away the whistle cap
without a problem, although I usually use an oven mitt since the thing gives
off a bit of heat and steam as you pour.

Personally, I would not buy an aluminum kettle, which would be less
expensive. They seem to fail more readily and they are more likely to be
damaged by loss-of-coolant accidents (LOCA) if you forget about the kettle
and it boils dry.

Warren

francisco

I have used a simplex copper kettle flat bottomed and large for twenty
years. now, that I have moved on to japanese green tea, I bought
myself a small, coil bottomed ,simplex copper kettle, and left the
bigger one in the country house.
they work a treat. handle stays cool, potent whistle in the cover, so
you donīt have to touch it to pour, donīt dribble and the opening is
large ,making the inside easy to clean .
expensive but last a lifetime and I love the way they age.
francisco

Ajanta

RPS > wrote:
> What's a good stovetop tea kettle? Should have a whistle, convenient to
> operate the spout, and the handle should not get uncomfortably hot.

I just got a coppor bottom Corningware kettle at one of their outlet
mall stores and have mixed feelings about it: the kettle itself is very
nice but the whistle is barely audible.

I also looked at a Farberware traditional design which has been around
forever, with a little red knob you press to open the spout. However, I
fond the handle to close to the kettle and was afraid my fingers could
touch the hot surface.

So, no ideal solution yet.

Ajanta

RPS > wrote:
> What's a good stovetop tea kettle? Should have a whistle, convenient to
> operate the spout, and the handle should not get uncomfortably hot.

I just got a coppor bottom Corningware kettle at one of their outlet
mall stores and have mixed feelings about it: the kettle itself is very
nice but the whistle is barely audible.

I also looked at a Farberware traditional design which has been around
forever, with a little red knob you press to open the spout. However, I
fond the handle to close to the kettle and was afraid my fingers could
touch the hot surface.

So, no ideal solution yet.
Ajanta

Brian or Sharon Beuchaw > wrote:
> Ted Campanelli > wrote:
> >
> > My wife and I drink a fair amount of tea. We have a stainless steel,
> > copper bottom, Revere Ware kettle. The handle is some type of bakelite
> > with a lever to open the spout. The inside is "tinned" and it has a
> > whistle. We have had the kettle for almost 5 years and have used it on
> > a coil type electric range and at present a glass top range. The only
> > negative on this (and just about all of them) is cleaning around where
> > the bakelite comes up against the spout. I have to use the point of a
> > knife to get in the tiny groove. I don't know the cost now, but when we
> > bought it, it was about $15 (US).

> I'll second the Revere Ware kettle. We've got a small one and it's served
> us well for almost a year...

I just got one from a Cornigware store and the kettle itself is nice
and works well, but the whistle is barely audible. Do I just have a
defective unit? Wish you could try them in the store!
Ajanta

Brian or Sharon Beuchaw > wrote:
> Ted Campanelli > wrote:
> >
> > My wife and I drink a fair amount of tea. We have a stainless steel,
> > copper bottom, Revere Ware kettle. The handle is some type of bakelite
> > with a lever to open the spout. The inside is "tinned" and it has a
> > whistle. We have had the kettle for almost 5 years and have used it on
> > a coil type electric range and at present a glass top range. The only
> > negative on this (and just about all of them) is cleaning around where
> > the bakelite comes up against the spout. I have to use the point of a
> > knife to get in the tiny groove. I don't know the cost now, but when we
> > bought it, it was about $15 (US).

> I'll second the Revere Ware kettle. We've got a small one and it's served
> us well for almost a year...

I just got one from a Cornigware store and the kettle itself is nice
and works well, but the whistle is barely audible. Do I just have a
defective unit? Wish you could try them in the store!
Blair P. Houghton

trent > wrote:
>Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>> http://www.toastess.com/products/products_frame.htm

Hey. "products_frame"?

Stupid computer.

I mean this one:

http://www.toastess.com/products/pro...tail.asp?id=15

It's not too "mini", being about the size of a Rubbermaid
juice pitcher, and about the same look and feel, really.

It does have one niftyish featu the lid locks down and
you can fill it easily through the spout, so you really
never even have to open the thing.

>Hmmm, I'm experiencing Gadget Envy.

I'd have bought one of the more expensive, more featureful models
if I'd known how incredibly powerful they are.

I can have 180F water for white tea in about 60 seconds, and a full
boil in something under 3 minutes, if I only put about 2 cups of
water in it.

An on-off switch and a fill-level window would just about
perfect it.

--Blair
"Sure boils faster than my CPU does."
Blair P. Houghton

trent > wrote:
>Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>> http://www.toastess.com/products/products_frame.htm

Hey. "products_frame"?

Stupid computer.

I mean this one:

http://www.toastess.com/products/pro...tail.asp?id=15

It's not too "mini", being about the size of a Rubbermaid
juice pitcher, and about the same look and feel, really.

It does have one niftyish featu the lid locks down and
you can fill it easily through the spout, so you really
never even have to open the thing.

>Hmmm, I'm experiencing Gadget Envy.

I'd have bought one of the more expensive, more featureful models
if I'd known how incredibly powerful they are.

I can have 180F water for white tea in about 60 seconds, and a full
boil in something under 3 minutes, if I only put about 2 cups of
water in it.

An on-off switch and a fill-level window would just about
perfect it.

--Blair
"Sure boils faster than my CPU does."

fLameDogg

On Fri, 07 May 2004 05:39:31 +0000, RPS wrote:

> What's a good stovetop tea kettle? Should have a whistle, convenient to
> operate the spout, and the handle should not get uncomfortably hot.

I have an Oneida "Immaculate": 2.5 Quart, stainless steel, with a thumb
latch (a simple lever with a knob on the end, not the pushbutton you
sometimes see) and a semicircular black plastic handle. It has a whistle
and was about $20 US at the Winn-Dixie supermarket where I shop. I've used
the dogg out of it and it's been very servicable. The lid can be a bit
fiddly, and if I am careless I *can* steam my thumb when I flip the lever,
but overall I'm happy with it.

I looked all over Oneida's Web site after I got mine but did not see it.
Perhaps it's a discontinued model. I'm going for an electric kettle
eventually anyway, since I've read a number of positive comments about
them; but this one's satisfactory so I'm in no hurry.

--
fD

fLameDogg

On Fri, 07 May 2004 05:39:31 +0000, RPS wrote:

> What's a good stovetop tea kettle? Should have a whistle, convenient to
> operate the spout, and the handle should not get uncomfortably hot.

I have an Oneida "Immaculate": 2.5 Quart, stainless steel, with a thumb
latch (a simple lever with a knob on the end, not the pushbutton you
sometimes see) and a semicircular black plastic handle. It has a whistle
and was about $20 US at the Winn-Dixie supermarket where I shop. I've used
the dogg out of it and it's been very servicable. The lid can be a bit
fiddly, and if I am careless I *can* steam my thumb when I flip the lever,
but overall I'm happy with it.

I looked all over Oneida's Web site after I got mine but did not see it.
Perhaps it's a discontinued model. I'm going for an electric kettle
eventually anyway, since I've read a number of positive comments about
them; but this one's satisfactory so I'm in no hurry.

--
fD

Martin Maney

DawnK > wrote:

> "Ted Campanelli" > wrote in message
>> My wife and I drink a fair amount of tea. We have a stainless steel,
>> copper bottom, Revere Ware kettle. The handle is some type of bakelite
>> with a lever to open the spout. The inside is "tinned" and it has a
>> whistle. We have had the kettle for almost 5 years and have used it on

> That's what I have. I can't even remember how long we've had it. Maybe
> 12-13 years. Still works. Has the mechanism for opening the lid, so you

That's what we had a few decades ago when I was young. I think mom may
still have it. Not being terribly interested in tea, and preferring
other means for getting hot water onto my coffee grounds, I may be
mistaken. I know it was still in use when the original gas stove was
replaced by the fancy self-cleaning-oven'd electric stove.

--
People make secure systems insecure because
insecure systems do what people want and
Martin Maney

DawnK > wrote:

> "Ted Campanelli" > wrote in message
>> My wife and I drink a fair amount of tea. We have a stainless steel,
>> copper bottom, Revere Ware kettle. The handle is some type of bakelite
>> with a lever to open the spout. The inside is "tinned" and it has a
>> whistle. We have had the kettle for almost 5 years and have used it on

> That's what I have. I can't even remember how long we've had it. Maybe
> 12-13 years. Still works. Has the mechanism for opening the lid, so you

That's what we had a few decades ago when I was young. I think mom may
still have it. Not being terribly interested in tea, and preferring
other means for getting hot water onto my coffee grounds, I may be
mistaken. I know it was still in use when the original gas stove was
replaced by the fancy self-cleaning-oven'd electric stove.

--
People make secure systems insecure because
insecure systems do what people want and
secure systems don't. -- James Grimmelmann
Adam H. Kerman

RPS > wrote:

>What's a good stovetop tea kettle? Should have a whistle, convenient to
>operate the spout, and the handle should not get uncomfortably hot.

I use the Melitta electric kettle. Nice, wide spout that doesn't dribble.
No whistle, though. It shuts off automatically when it detects steam.

The advantage: Because the heating element is inside, the kettle can be set
down on any surface without a trivet.

Adam H. Kerman

RPS > wrote:

>What's a good stovetop tea kettle? Should have a whistle, convenient to
>operate the spout, and the handle should not get uncomfortably hot.

I use the Melitta electric kettle. Nice, wide spout that doesn't dribble.
No whistle, though. It shuts off automatically when it detects steam.

The advantage: Because the heating element is inside, the kettle can be set
down on any surface without a trivet.
Adam H. Kerman

Brian or Sharon Beuchaw > wrote:

>The OXO kettle was pretty cool - weighted so the spout opens when you tip it,
>the whistle was harmonic (instead of the shrill "tweeeeee" that most are), but
>it just didn't keep working the way it was supposed to (we need a whistle
>so the kettle doesn't boil dry while we're doing something else other than
>watching the kettle).

OXO is a ridiculously overpriced brand for cheapo merchandise imported from
China.
Adam H. Kerman

Brian or Sharon Beuchaw > wrote:

>The OXO kettle was pretty cool - weighted so the spout opens when you tip it,
>the whistle was harmonic (instead of the shrill "tweeeeee" that most are), but
>it just didn't keep working the way it was supposed to (we need a whistle
>so the kettle doesn't boil dry while we're doing something else other than
>watching the kettle).

OXO is a ridiculously overpriced brand for cheapo merchandise imported from
China.
Brian or Sharon Beuchaw

In chi.eats Ajanta > wrote:
> Brian or Sharon Beuchaw > wrote:
>> Ted Campanelli > wrote:
>> >
>> > My wife and I drink a fair amount of tea. We have a stainless steel,
>> > copper bottom, Revere Ware kettle. [snip]

>> I'll second the Revere Ware kettle. We've got a small one and it's served
>> us well for almost a year...

> I just got one from a Cornigware store and the kettle itself is nice
> and works well, but the whistle is barely audible. Do I just have a
> defective unit? Wish you could try them in the store!

Yeah, I'd say yours might be defective - our whistle is pretty loud and
shrill and obnoxious, scares the cats sometimes.

brian
--
If you want to reply to this message by mail, you will
have to change the reply address to

Brian or Sharon Beuchaw

RPS > wrote in message >...
> What's a good stovetop tea kettle? Should have a whistle, convenient to
> operate the spout, and the handle should not get uncomfortably hot.

I've been using a Copco stainless steel kettle for about 5 years and
find it quite functional. The whistle/cap disengages easily via a
thumb lever for pouring and I have never known the handle to get hot
or the spout to dribble. The kettle probably holds about 2 litres.
There is a lid that can be removed for filling or scrubbing if
desired, although I often fill the kettle by pouring water from the
Brita filter right down the spout. It's reasonably attractive
(certainly attractive enough for a grad student sharing a house with
three other guys and a hodge-podge of second-hand furniture) and it
cost about $25 if I recall correctly. The sheet that came with the
kettle boasted of rapid heating and recommended against heating it on
"high" heat, so I usually set the burner to 8.5 or 9 (out of 10). I
do the same with my nonstick frying pans. Does anyone know if this is
really necessary on the typical electric stove-top?

I think it's the Copco Strata, pictured he
http://www.kitchenkapers.com/copstratket2.html

Jason Blank
Pacific Grove, CA

RPS > wrote in message >...
> What's a good stovetop tea kettle? Should have a whistle, convenient to
> operate the spout, and the handle should not get uncomfortably hot.

I've been using a Copco stainless steel kettle for about 5 years and
find it quite functional. The whistle/cap disengages easily via a
thumb lever for pouring and I have never known the handle to get hot
or the spout to dribble. The kettle probably holds about 2 litres.
There is a lid that can be removed for filling or scrubbing if
desired, although I often fill the kettle by pouring water from the
Brita filter right down the spout. It's reasonably attractive
(certainly attractive enough for a grad student sharing a house with
three other guys and a hodge-podge of second-hand furniture) and it
cost about $25 if I recall correctly. The sheet that came with the
kettle boasted of rapid heating and recommended against heating it on
"high" heat, so I usually set the burner to 8.5 or 9 (out of 10). I
do the same with my nonstick frying pans. Does anyone know if this is
really necessary on the typical electric stove-top?

I think it's the Copco Strata, pictured he
http://www.kitchenkapers.com/copstratket2.html

Jason Blank
Pacific Grove, CA
Scott Peterson

RPS > wrote in message
> What's a good stovetop tea kettle? Should have a whistle, convenient to
> operate the spout, and the handle should not get uncomfortably hot.

If you are near any of the Le Cruset outlet stores, check out their
kettle.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/ca...d=cprod1859727

or

http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...&parent_i d=2

Heats fast and if you catch the store at the right time, you can get a
good price. I picked up one for $35 around Christmas with their
percent off sale and taking the featured color. They may be doing a
Memorial Day sale.

Scott Peterson

--
The trouble with most folks isn't so much their ignorance.
It's know'n so many things that ain't so.

575/583
Scott Peterson

RPS > wrote in message
> What's a good stovetop tea kettle? Should have a whistle, convenient to
> operate the spout, and the handle should not get uncomfortably hot.

If you are near any of the Le Cruset outlet stores, check out their
kettle.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/ca...d=cprod1859727

or

http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...&parent_i d=2

Heats fast and if you catch the store at the right time, you can get a
good price. I picked up one for $35 around Christmas with their
percent off sale and taking the featured color. They may be doing a
Memorial Day sale.

Scott Peterson

--
The trouble with most folks isn't so much their ignorance.
It's know'n so many things that ain't so.
-- Josh Billings.

575/583
Melinda

I have a Le Creuset kettle and I don't like it at all, I was very
disappointed since I like their other cookware. It dribbles and
sputters hot water all over the place when the water in it is boiling
or if it's more than about halfway over the inside holes that go into
the spout. And if I don't fill it up that high it doesn't hold enough.
I'm going to get an electric I think.

Sorry about the similarity in E-mail addys Jason, didn't notice yours
when I made this one. Mine's spelled wrong anyway. I'm new to the
group, delurking, but have very much enjoyed reading posts.

Ajanta

Scott Peterson > wrote:

> If you are near any of the Le Cruset outlet stores, check out their
> kettle.
> http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/ca...h&itemId=cprod
> 1859727
>
> http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...path=1&parent_
> id=2

But these look like you could burn yourself removing the spout cap
before pouring hot water.
Ajanta

Prancing tea kettles Space Cowboy Tea 1 20-08-2008 04:01 PM
Kettles Bluesea Tea 6 11-02-2005 05:04 AM
Tea Kettles (stovetop) RPS Cooking Equipment 38 01-06-2004 05:47 AM
Tea Kettles (stovetop) RPS General Cooking 35 10-05-2004 07:07 PM
Electric Kettles Mike Petro Tea 25 20-01-2004 04:44 AM