YabbaDabbaDo

Default Australia

Any people with an interest in teas here from Australia?

Carl Huby

YabbaDabbaDo wrote:
> Any people with an interest in teas here from Australia?

I'm in Australia, I've also recently moved to near Brisbane's China
Town, and have been working my way through the tea aisle at the Chinese
supermarkets trying out their range. Haven't found anything to beat
their cheap Yunnan Toucha yet.
Mike Petro

Hey there Mr Flintstone,

Another one you may want to check out is
http://www.gray-seddon-tea.com/puer.shtml

They are also in Australia.

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 09:29:12 +1000, Carl Huby > cast
caution to the wind and posted:

>YabbaDabbaDo wrote:
>> Any people with an interest in teas here from Australia?
>>

>I'm in Australia, I've also recently moved to near Brisbane's China
>Town, and have been working my way through the tea aisle at the Chinese
>supermarkets trying out their range. Haven't found anything to beat
>their cheap Yunnan Toucha yet.

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Joel Reicher

"YabbaDabbaDo" > writes:

> Any people with an interest in teas here from Australia?

Yup, from Melbourne. Do most of my tea shopping at T2, since it's
convenient and `thorough' enough that it has puerh, quite a few white
teas, etc. Should probably make my way to the various ethnic grocers
at some point though.

Oh, and T2 don't stock gaiwans.

Cheers,

- Joel
Space Cowboy

Have fun and enjoy the experience. Don't pay any attention to any
urls encouraging you to leave this group by people who are too lazy to
drive too their local Chinatown and all they know if the webpage has
spinning graphics and makes noises all they want is a virtual Shopping
Cart and let the delivery man find them in suburbia. The other term
you'll see on packaging is Vintage Oolong. Learn the characters for
Puerh because there will be the anonymous waxed paper kilo in the
dried bulk herbal section that the Chinese apothecary sells by the
gram. It won't be cheap and doesn't match any description or taste
you can find here or on any websites. You can satisfy your curiosity
by buying 50g or so from a herbalist. The reason most Puerh in stores
is 100g tins because it is more used as a digestive aid along with the
popular chrysanthemum.

Jim

Carl Huby > wrote in message .au>...
> I'm in Australia, I've also recently moved to near Brisbane's China
> Town, and have been working my way through the tea aisle at the Chinese
> supermarkets trying out their range. Haven't found anything to beat
> their cheap Yunnan Toucha yet.

Carl Huby

Space Cowboy wrote:

> Have fun and enjoy the experience. Don't pay any attention to any
> urls encouraging you to leave this group by people who are too lazy to
> drive too their local Chinatown and all they know if the webpage has
> spinning graphics and makes noises all they want is a virtual Shopping
> Cart and let the delivery man find them in suburbia. The other term
> you'll see on packaging is Vintage Oolong. Learn the characters for
> Puerh because there will be the anonymous waxed paper kilo in the
> dried bulk herbal section that the Chinese apothecary sells by the
> gram. It won't be cheap and doesn't match any description or taste
> you can find here or on any websites. You can satisfy your curiosity
> by buying 50g or so from a herbalist. The reason most Puerh in stores
> is 100g tins because it is more used as a digestive aid along with the
> popular chrysanthemum.
>
> Jim
>
> Carl Huby > wrote in message .au>...
>
>>I'm in Australia, I've also recently moved to near Brisbane's China
>>Town, and have been working my way through the tea aisle at the Chinese
>>supermarkets trying out their range. Haven't found anything to beat
>>their cheap Yunnan Toucha yet.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to give it a try. (I've been
buying pre-packaged stuff, and never really thought to check out
the herbalist.

I agree with you on people ordering online, half the fun of getting it
in Chinatown is being able to check out all the other things and meet
some new people, not to mention the exercise.

(Besides that guy's site posted above costs almost twice what the
chinese stores want for toucha.)

'Carl
Space Cowboy

Since you're in Chinatown look for a "Chinese herbal cooker" which I
mentioned here in 95 and nobody else since. You're not going to find
it using any URL only by shopping Chinatown. Get the clay version
which is getting rarer and being replaced by electric versions. The
interior has a thick glazed and designed for any subsequent herbal
infusion. It has a parallel tubular horn handle and spout and the
liquid to poured toward you and not away like a convential tea pot.
You will have the most unique certified eclectic teapot of any of your
surfing friends. It is designed for direct gas flame cooking or
electric with trivet but I use it as a teapot and not cooking. So let
your feet do the walking and let the keyboard kibitzers simmer with
envy.

Jim

Carl Huby > wrote in message .au>...
> Space Cowboy wrote:
>
> > Have fun and enjoy the experience. Don't pay any attention to any
> > urls encouraging you to leave this group
> > snip...

> I agree with you on people ordering online, half the fun of getting it
> in Chinatown is being able to check out all the other things and meet
> some new people, not to mention the exercise.

Michael Plant

Space 3/3/04

> Since you're in Chinatown look for a "Chinese herbal cooker" which I
> mentioned here in 95 and nobody else since. You're not going to find
> it using any URL only by shopping Chinatown. Get the clay version
> which is getting rarer and being replaced by electric versions. The
> interior has a thick glazed and designed for any subsequent herbal
> infusion. It has a parallel tubular horn handle and spout and the
> liquid to poured toward you and not away like a convential tea pot.
> You will have the most unique certified eclectic teapot of any of your
> surfing friends. It is designed for direct gas flame cooking or
> electric with trivet but I use it as a teapot and not cooking. So let
> your feet do the walking and let the keyboard kibitzers simmer with
> envy.
>
> Jim

to which I add that you'll find some really cool matching other pots and
cookers of similar type as well as real cheap cooking utensils, much neater
than ones you'd pay six times as much for. The things Jim refers to always
looked like rough giant kyusus to me. Wouldn't think of boiling up herbs in
anything else.

likewise, BTW, I'm the last on my block not to have an electric rice cooker.
I learned to cook rice in Denmark and then again in India. You don't need a
stupid rice cooker. But, from out main point we digress.

I'm drinking Fragrant Plum, a green oolong of David Hoffman's (Silk Road
Tea). This is a delightfully fragrant most vegetal tea I've ever drunk.
Squash, asparagas, cucumber, bean -- whatever the vegetable, this is not the
vegetal of over-the-hill. I like it. It's the fragrance that pulls it all
together, I think. And it's good for many steeps, bringing the price down
per cup if that's an issue.

Michael

Space Cowboy

The kyusu is a tiny Japanese teapot with fluted tubular handle at
imaginary right angles to the spout so a rotation of the wrist pours
the tea. Apparently popular with the Geishas. I just recently bought
a kyusu sake set which is my eclectic version for gongfu service.
Frankly I not even sure how you pour the liquid from say a 32 oz
Chinese herbal cooker since the spout and handle are essentially
parallel. Maybe from the edge of a table where the handle acts like a
crank or a martial arts wrist to tilt the pot back. You gotta have
both. The two keywords for Chinatown cooking is china and clay. The
fluted tubular handle can't be unique so it remains who copied who.

Jim

Michael Plant > wrote in message >...
> Space 3/3/04
>

> > Since you're in Chinatown look for a "Chinese herbal cooker" which I
> > mentioned here in 95 and nobody else since.

> to which I add that you'll find some really cool matching other pots and
> cookers of similar type as well as real cheap cooking utensils, much neater
> than ones you'd pay six times as much for. The things Jim refers to always
> looked like rough giant kyusus to me. Wouldn't think of boiling up herbs in
> anything else.

Australia Day BBQ. I'm back on the laptop General Cooking 57 04-02-2012 02:41 PM
Australia Day is just... Paul Struber General Cooking 18 29-01-2009 04:30 AM
[FAQ] 3s. Australia? Mark Lipton Wine 0 19-10-2006 05:18 AM
Restaurants in Australia Benjamin Restaurants 0 01-08-2004 01:59 PM
Tagines in Australia? Anthony General Cooking 5 14-07-2004 11:30 AM