FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   tea and sandwiches? (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/25075-tea-sandwiches.html)

Lars Mehlum 03-02-2004 05:12 PM

tea and sandwiches?

Hei Ole,

Hyggelig aa se en annen te-interessert nordmann her!
Jeg er forresten også fra Trondhjem, men bor i Bergen.

(English: Nice to see another tea-interested Norwegian here! I'm from
Trondhjem too, but live in Bergen)

Lars
"Ole Kvaal" wrote in message
Hi.
Any suggestions what sort of tea I could drink along with a couple of
sandwiches in my lunch break? Until now, I've been drinking orange juice

my lunch, but I'd much rather find a tea that would go nicely with - and
after - my meal.
Thanks in advance

--

regards,
ole k,

Michael Plant 03-02-2004 05:20 PM

tea and sandwiches?

Lars /3/04

"Ole Kvaal" wrote in message
Hi.
Any suggestions what sort of tea I could drink along with a couple of
sandwiches in my lunch break? Until now, I've been drinking orange juice

my lunch, but I'd much rather find a tea that would go nicely with - and
after - my meal.
Thanks in advance

--

regards,
ole k,
trondheim

Hvor mange Normanner har vi her?
Selv er jeg ikke Norman og jeg bor i byen NY i Guds eyet landt.

Michael

Jeremy 03-02-2004 05:34 PM

tea and sandwiches?

Ole Kvaal wrote:

Hi.
Any suggestions what sort of tea I could drink along with a couple of
sandwiches in my lunch break? Until now, I've been drinking orange juice to
my lunch, but I'd much rather find a tea that would go nicely with - and
after - my meal.
Thanks in advance

--

regards,
ole k,
trondheim

A lot of good suggestions already, but definitely black. I have fond
memories of en arm av sognefjord med bygdene Aurland, sitting in a snow
bank with a beautiful Norwegian girl and drinking hot black tea with our
salmon roe and cheese sandwiches. Last I heard she was working on a
sheep research station somewhere near where you are.

Leif Thorvaldson 03-02-2004 11:41 PM

tea and sandwiches?

Hei, Lars! Hyggelig å ha to nordmenner og en norskamerikaner på gruppen.
Ser også at du staver Trondheim, Trondhjem -- godt å lese! Familien er fra
Sørlandet og for den meste part bor der enda. Jeg var født i New York men
bor i Staten av Washington.

Translation: Hi, Lars! Nice to have two Norwegians and a
Norwegian-American on the group. I see that you spell Trondheim
"Trondhjem" -- good to see. My family is from Southern Norway and most
still live there. I was born in New York but live in the State of
Washington.

Leif

Jarmo Louet 05-02-2004 06:54 AM

tea and sandwiches?

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:20:35 GMT, Michael Plant
Hvor mange Normanner har vi her?
Selv er jeg ikke Norman og jeg bor i byen NY i Guds eyet landt.

Quite a few, apparently, and here's one more Scandinavian from
Finland. I've been to Norway once (traveled from Mo i Rana to the
Lofoten islands), but unfortunately I don't speak the language. I do
speak a bit of Swedish, though.

To keep this even a little bit tea-related, I'd like to add that most
of the time you folks talk about teas I've never even heard of.
Finland is, sadly, a coffee-nation. Although the tea-situation here
has improved tremendously in the last 10-15 years or so, the shops
still tend to sell only the usual as-cheap-as-possible Twinings and
Lipton varieties and some flavored Assam-Ceylon blends. Fortunately,
loose tea is almost as readily available as the bags.

Very nice newsgroup, by the way, I've been following it for a few
months now.

Jarmo Louet
Replace # in my email address by @ to reply.
Vaihda osoitteen risuaidan tilalle @-merkki.

Michael Plant 05-02-2004 11:59 AM

Como se dice "tea and sandwiches" auf Norsk?

Jarmo 2/5/04 01:54jarmo.louet#mbnet.fi

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:20:35 GMT, Michael Plant
Hvor mange Normanner har vi her?
Selv er jeg ikke Norman og jeg bor i byen NY i Guds eyet landt.

Quite a few, apparently, and here's one more Scandinavian from
Finland. I've been to Norway once (traveled from Mo i Rana to the
Lofoten islands), but unfortunately I don't speak the language. I do
speak a bit of Swedish, though.

Swedish, Norwegian, Danish; hey, what's the difference?
Sorry guys, that was a joke.

To keep this even a little bit tea-related, I'd like to add that most
of the time you folks talk about teas I've never even heard of.
Finland is, sadly, a coffee-nation. Although the tea-situation here
has improved tremendously in the last 10-15 years or so, the shops
still tend to sell only the usual as-cheap-as-possible Twinings and
Lipton varieties and some flavored Assam-Ceylon blends. Fortunately,
loose tea is almost as readily available as the bags.

Are you getting your tea from foreign suppliers?

Relevant: I'm drinking a Wulong from Shan Shui Teas in Washington, DC, USA,
this morning. Very soft and round and gentle with a hint of astringency and
sweetness. I'm a believer.

Not relevant: I'm a mouse guy, having owned a number of pet mice, and I
know for a fact that Finland is well respected in the pet mouse world. I
also know that Finland has been a front runner in internet use and
development. So, given time and tea, Finland could become as big and
important as the United States some day.

More of the same: I'm listening to a collection of Italian musical street
chants, which are as rough as this tea is soft.

Very nice newsgroup, by the way, I've been following it for a few
months now.

And welcome to it, Jarmo.

Michael

Jarmo Louet 06-02-2004 10:32 AM

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:59:28 GMT, Michael Plant wrote:
Swedish, Norwegian, Danish; hey, what's the difference?
Sorry guys, that was a joke.

Well, they are very closely related. :) Finnish belongs to a totally
different family of languages, though. It's not even an Indo-European
language, so you'd really have to go way back to find a common
ancestor.

Are you getting your tea from foreign suppliers?

No, I don't have an international credit card and I don't want to mess
with tolls and customs. Maybe some day, though.

Anyway, I rather like finding new Finnish sources, even if it takes a
bit of effort. I can get organic Lapsang Souchong from one store,
green Makaibari from a second store, good sencha and other Japanese
teas from a third store, some Chinese teas from a fourth store etc.

Relevant: I'm drinking a Wulong from Shan Shui Teas in Washington, DC, USA,
this morning. Very soft and round and gentle with a hint of astringency and
sweetness. I'm a believer.

Sounds good. I'm drinking Kenya Marinyn GFOP 1 at the moment. It's
much darker and "drier" (not bitter, but totally un-sweet) than I
expected, but good nonetheless.

Not relevant: I'm a mouse guy, having owned a number of pet mice, and I
know for a fact that Finland is well respected in the pet mouse world. I
also know that Finland has been a front runner in internet use and
development. So, given time and tea, Finland could become as big and
important as the United States some day.

Thank you for the compliment, but Finland is so much smaller country
that I don't think so. I'm studying to become a librarian, however, so
I know a little about this modern "information society" stuff, and we
are doing fairly well in that regard. We have one of the most used
public library systems in the world (providing, among other things,
free Internet access to everyone who wants to use it). Wireless mobile
communications are a big business here as well, thanks to Nokia. It
seems that just about everybody above the age of 5 has a cell phone,
these days.

I didn't (and don't) know about the mice, I'm more of a dog-person. :)

Michael Plant 06-02-2004 05:17 PM

Como se dice "tea and sandwiches" auf Norsk?

Jarmo 2/6/04 05:32jarmo.louet#mbnet.fi

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:59:28 GMT, Michael Plant wrote:
Swedish, Norwegian, Danish; hey, what's the difference?
Sorry guys, that was a joke.

Well, they are very closely related. :) Finnish belongs to a totally
different family of languages, though. It's not even an Indo-European
language, so you'd really have to go way back to find a common
ancestor.\

Yes, I've heard about Finnish. Related to Hungarian, is it?

Are you getting your tea from foreign suppliers?

No, I don't have an international credit card and I don't want to mess
with tolls and customs. Maybe some day, though.

As long as you can get what you want from within the borders.

Anyway, I rather like finding new Finnish sources, even if it takes a
bit of effort. I can get organic Lapsang Souchong from one store,
green Makaibari from a second store, good sencha and other Japanese
teas from a third store, some Chinese teas from a fourth store etc.

Gives you an opportunity to talk to more people, since you have to visit
more stores. Nothing wrong with that.

Relevant: I'm drinking a Wulong from Shan Shui Teas in Washington, DC, USA,
this morning. Very soft and round and gentle with a hint of astringency and
sweetness. I'm a believer.

Sounds good. I'm drinking Kenya Marinyn GFOP 1 at the moment. It's
much darker and "drier" (not bitter, but totally un-sweet) than I
expected, but good nonetheless.

Nice as the above mentioned Wulong is, it is not quite as nice as the one
available from our trusty local merchant, Big Apple Tea House (BATH).

Not relevant: I'm a mouse guy, having owned a number of pet mice, and I
know for a fact that Finland is well respected in the pet mouse world. I
also know that Finland has been a front runner in internet use and
development. So, given time and tea, Finland could become as big and
important as the United States some day.

Thank you for the compliment, but Finland is so much smaller country
that I don't think so.

You are welcome. I'll contact you off line perhaps, if that's OK.

I'm studying to become a librarian, however, so
I know a little about this modern "information society" stuff, and we
are doing fairly well in that regard. We have one of the most used
public library systems in the world (providing, among other things,
free Internet access to everyone who wants to use it).

Undoubtedly this is due to the fact that you live in a literate country
where people read books. Tell me, do Finns drink alcoholic beverages?
Sometimes it's nice to sit down with a book and a scotch.

Wireless mobile
communications are a big business here as well, thanks to Nokia. It
seems that just about everybody above the age of 5 has a cell phone,
these days.

I didn't (and don't) know about the mice, I'm more of a dog-person. :)

Mice are far cooler than dogs. Some of my best friends over the years have
been mice.

Michael

Forgot to mention: I'm drinking Bai Hao today paired to El Hadj Djeli Sory
Kouyate playing Mandinka Balafon. Can't go wrong, especially since it's a
rainy day.

Tee King 06-02-2004 08:17 PM

Como se dice "tea and sandwiches" auf Norsk?

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 17:17:47 GMT, Michael Plant
tripped the light fantastic, then quipped:

Mice are far cooler than dogs. Some of my best friends over the years have
been mice.

Michael

I don't know if mice are cooler, but they're at least as cool. Easier
to train than many dogs, too. I've only had one mouse, but I've had
several rats, and they make absolutely wonderful pets. I wish I
hadn't become allergic to them; I miss their company. Just call me
"Willard". ;)

Tee
http://www.geocities.com/tee_king
Remove -no-spam- to email me.

Jarmo Louet 09-02-2004 02:37 PM

wrote:

Yes, I've heard about Finnish. Related to Hungarian, is it?

Yes, but I'm afraid it would take a linguist to notice.

You are welcome. I'll contact you off line perhaps, if that's OK.

Yes, of course.

Undoubtedly this is due to the fact that you live in a literate country
where people read books. Tell me, do Finns drink alcoholic beverages?

Sure. About the same as in most Western countries, I suppose. Most do,
some don't, and some drink more than their fair share.

Sometimes it's nice to sit down with a book and a scotch.

Indeed. I don't drink often, but when I do, a bit of rum or whisky is
what I take (straight or with a bit of water).

Forgot to mention: I'm drinking Bai Hao today paired to El Hadj Djeli Sory
Kouyate playing Mandinka Balafon. Can't go wrong, especially since it's a
rainy day.

Never had of either of those. But a bit of tea-trivia in case anyone's
interested: it's "tee" in Finnish. The pronunciation is (in this case)
very similar to German.

Michael Plant 09-02-2004 06:08 PM

Como se dice "tea and sandwiches" auf Norsk?

Jarmo 2/9/04 09:37jarmo.louet#mbnet.fi

snip snip snip

Forgot to mention: I'm drinking Bai Hao today paired to El Hadj Djeli Sory
Kouyate playing Mandinka Balafon. Can't go wrong, especially since it's a
rainy day.

Never had of either of those. But a bit of tea-trivia in case anyone's
interested: it's "tee" in Finnish. The pronunciation is (in this case)
very similar to German.

Jarmo,

The Balafon is a bit esoteric, but the tea is a "must drink". It's a
full-honey version of an oolong, originally developed to compete with the
newly successful Darjeeling teas of India at the time. Can I send you some?

Michael

Jarmo Louet 10-02-2004 05:44 PM

Como se dice "tea and sandwiches" auf Norsk?

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 18:08:45 GMT, Michael Plant
wrote:

The Balafon is a bit esoteric, but the tea is a "must drink". It's a
full-honey version of an oolong, originally developed to compete with the
newly successful Darjeeling teas of India at the time. Can I send you some?

Now that took me by surprise... Umm, I'll send you email about it, if
you don't mind (I assume the address above is real).

By they way, I misread what you wrote earlier: I thought El Hadj Djeli
Sory Koyate was another one of those teas I've never heard of and you
were playing the Balafon. Oops.

Jarmo

Michael Plant 10-02-2004 06:37 PM

Como se dice "tea and sandwiches" auf Norsk?

Jarmo 2/10/04 12:44jarmo.louet#mbnet.fi

wrote:

The Balafon is a bit esoteric, but the tea is a "must drink". It's a
full-honey version of an oolong, originally developed to compete with the
newly successful Darjeeling teas of India at the time. Can I send you some?

Now that took me by surprise... Umm, I'll send you email about it, if
you don't mind (I assume the address above is real).

Yes, and got it. No problem.

By they way, I misread what you wrote earlier: I thought El Hadj Djeli
Sory Koyate was another one of those teas I've never heard of and you
were playing the Balafon. Oops.

Nope. But, it's a very cool idea. New Brooklyn Tea -- El Hadj Djeli Sory
Koyate -- available in tiny lots from old trees found in Prospect Park.
(Hey, I never said they were tea trees.)

Michael

Lewis Perin 11-02-2004 12:51 AM

Como se dice "tea and sandwiches" auf Norsk?

Michael Plant writes:

[...]
New Brooklyn Tea -- El Hadj Djeli Sory Koyate -- available in tiny
lots from old trees found in Prospect Park. (Hey, I never said they
were tea trees.)

Move along, kid. We don't do tisanes on this newsgroup.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Jarmo Louet 11-02-2004 01:13 PM

Como se dice "tea and sandwiches" auf Norsk?

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:37:43 GMT, Michael Plant
wrote:

Nope. But, it's a very cool idea. New Brooklyn Tea -- El Hadj Djeli Sory
Koyate -- available in tiny lots from old trees found in Prospect Park.
(Hey, I never said they were tea trees.)

Sounds like some arabic language to me, and I understand they do drink
tea in Arabic countries as well, so it could have been. Ok, so they
don't exactly have the optimal climate for tea trees, but... :)

Jarmo