Leif Thorvaldson

Default Lipton's Tea

What is the problem with Lipton's tea? Some Brit friends of mine laugh at
the mention of it being a consumable tea? What about Red Rose. I enjoy
both of them. Does this make me a Philistine? *G*

Leif

Leif Thorvaldson

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> Leif 2/2/04
>

> > What is the problem with Lipton's tea? Some Brit friends of mine laugh

at
> > the mention of it being a consumable tea? What about Red Rose. I enjoy
> > both of them. Does this make me a Philistine? *G*
> >
> > Leif
> >

> Let me clarify this once and for all: There is *no* problem with Lipton's
> tea and you are *not* a Philistine, unless you want to be. Relax. Enjoy.
>
> Why do we disparage the people known as Philistines in this unkind, and
> inappropriate way, BTW?
>
> Michael

Is there a political correct term for Philistines?

Phil·is·tine (fil'i-sten', fi-lis'tin, -ten')
n.
1.. A member of an Aegean people who settled ancient Philistia around the
12th century B.C.
2..
1.. A smug, ignorant, especially middle-class person who is regarded as
being indifferent or antagonistic to artistic and cultural values.
2.. One who lacks knowledge in a specific area.
adj.
1.. Of or relating to ancient Philistia.
2.. often philistine Boorish; barbarous: "our plastic, violent culture,
with its philistine tastes and hunger for novelty" (Lloyd Rose).
[From Middle English Philistines, Philistines, from Late Latin Philistini,
from Greek Philistinoi, from Hebrew P?listîm, from P?leset, Philistia.]

WORD HISTORY It has never been good to be a Philistine. In the Bible
Samson, Saul, and David helped bring the Philistines into prominence because
they were such prominent opponents. Though the Philistines have long since
disappeared, their name has lived on in the Hebrew Scriptures. The English
name for them, Philistines, which goes back through Late Latin and Greek to
Hebrew, is first found in Middle English, where Philistiens, the ancestor of
our word, is recorded in a work composed before 1325. Beginning in the 17th
century philistine was used as a common noun, usually in the plural, to
refer to various groups considered the enemy, such as literary critics. In
Germany in the same century it is said that in a memorial at Jena for a
student killed in a town-gown quarrel, the minister preached a sermon from
the text "Philister über dir Simson! [The Philistines be upon thee,
Samson!]," the words of Delilah to Samson after she attempted to render him
powerless before his Philistine enemies. From this usage it is said that
German students came to use Philister, the German equivalent of Philistine,
to denote nonstudents and hence uncultured or materialistic people. Both
usages were picked up in English in the early 19th century.

----
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth
Edition Copyright © 2003 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton
Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

----

Tea

"Leif Thorvaldson" > wrote in message
> What is the problem with Lipton's tea? Some Brit friends of mine laugh at
> the mention of it being a consumable tea? What about Red Rose. I enjoy
> both of them. Does this make me a Philistine? *G*
>
> Leif

There's nothing wrong with enjoying them. The other night I was eating prok
rinds and Dr. Pepper, and enjoyed them very much. However, I don't confuse
pork rinds with foie gras, which I enjoy much more, and which is of a much
higher quality.
Lipton and Red Rose are inexpensive teas. They are not high quality, or
even medium-quality. I use Lipton for iced tea, though, and if I'm sick,
I'll sometimes make a cup for nostalgia's sake.
Enjoy your tea. You might however want to try higher quality teas on
occasion.

Michael Plant

Leif 2/2/04

>>> What is the problem with Lipton's tea? Some Brit friends of mine laugh at
>>> the mention of it being a consumable tea? What about Red Rose. I enjoy
>>> both of them. Does this make me a Philistine? *G*
>>>
>>> Leif

>> Let me clarify this once and for all: There is *no* problem with Lipton's
>> tea and you are *not* a Philistine, unless you want to be. Relax. Enjoy.
>>
>> Why do we disparage the people known as Philistines in this unkind, and
>> inappropriate way, BTW?
>>
>> Michael

> Is there a political correct term for Philistines?
>
> Phil·is·tine (fil'i-sten', fi-lis'tin, -ten')
> n.
> 1.. A member of an Aegean people who settled ancient Philistia around the
> 12th century B.C.
> 2..
> 1.. A smug, ignorant, especially middle-class person who is regarded as
> being indifferent or antagonistic to artistic and cultural values.
> 2.. One who lacks knowledge in a specific area.
> adj.
> 1.. Of or relating to ancient Philistia.
> 2.. often philistine Boorish; barbarous: "our plastic, violent culture,
> with its philistine tastes and hunger for novelty" (Lloyd Rose).
> [From Middle English Philistines, Philistines, from Late Latin Philistini,
> from Greek Philistinoi, from Hebrew P?listîm, from P?leset, Philistia.]
>
> WORD HISTORY It has never been good to be a Philistine. In the Bible
> Samson, Saul, and David helped bring the Philistines into prominence because
> they were such prominent opponents. Though the Philistines have long since
> disappeared, their name has lived on in the Hebrew Scriptures. The English
> name for them, Philistines, which goes back through Late Latin and Greek to
> Hebrew, is first found in Middle English, where Philistiens, the ancestor of
> our word, is recorded in a work composed before 1325. Beginning in the 17th
> century philistine was used as a common noun, usually in the plural, to
> refer to various groups considered the enemy, such as literary critics. In
> Germany in the same century it is said that in a memorial at Jena for a
> student killed in a town-gown quarrel, the minister preached a sermon from
> the text "Philister über dir Simson! [The Philistines be upon thee,
> Samson!]," the words of Delilah to Samson after she attempted to render him
> powerless before his Philistine enemies. From this usage it is said that
> German students came to use Philister, the German equivalent of Philistine,
> to denote nonstudents and hence uncultured or materialistic people. Both
> usages were picked up in English in the early 19th century.

Leif,

Let me respond seriously, expecially since....

I think it extraordinarily cool and neat that you went to the trouble to
type all that, and I find the information very interesting. (My American
Heritage Dictionary, 3ed, is five feet from my computer, so I know you
didn't miss a word. You will note, however, that under the "Philistia"
entry, the region in question is purported to be "southwest Palestine"? Need
I say more?

To answer your only question, there is no politically correct term for
Philistine to my knowledge, but no politically incorrect one either. Let me
add: Winners writes history (and dictionaries).

Home rule for Norway. (1865)

Michael

Michael Plant

/2/04

> "Leif Thorvaldson" > wrote in message
>> What is the problem with Lipton's tea? Some Brit friends of mine laugh at
>> the mention of it being a consumable tea? What about Red Rose. I enjoy
>> both of them. Does this make me a Philistine? *G*
>>
>> Leif

> There's nothing wrong with enjoying them. The other night I was eating prok
> rinds and Dr. Pepper, and enjoyed them very much. However, I don't confuse
> pork rinds with foie gras, which I enjoy much more, and which is of a much
> higher quality.

Personally, I much prefer pork rinds. They are less fatty, and they do not
involve the torture of animals by force feeding. So, what does that make me?
As for Dr. Pepper, we'll just let it go.

> Lipton and Red Rose are inexpensive teas. They are not high quality, or
> even medium-quality. I use Lipton for iced tea, though, and if I'm sick,
> I'll sometimes make a cup for nostalgia's sake.

And I drink it when I'm out, in a pinch, and why not?

> Enjoy your tea. You might however want to try higher quality teas on
> occasion.

Ditto.

Michael

Robert Klute

>> Lipton and Red Rose are inexpensive teas. They are not high quality, or
>> even medium-quality. I use Lipton for iced tea, though, and if I'm sick,
>> I'll sometimes make a cup for nostalgia's sake.

One caveat. Yes, Lipton tea bags are a high volume bulk tea, designed
for fast color release during brewing, of middling quality. However,
Lipton does have some premium labels. Their Yellow Label and Green
Label (100% Darjeeling) are very good - in the upper half in terms of
quality.

Side notes:

Brooke Bond is considered to have better positioning in India than
Lipton. Recently the Hindustan Lever made Brooke Bond its mother brand
in India, with Taj Mahal, Taaza, Red Label, and 3 Roses under it. Lipton
is also part of the Brooke Bond portfolio, just with separate branding.

My preference for strong, bagged tea is PG Tips.
Tea

"Robert Klute" > wrote in message
news

> >> Lipton and Red Rose are inexpensive teas. They are not high quality,

or
> >> even medium-quality. I use Lipton for iced tea, though, and if I'm

sick,
> >> I'll sometimes make a cup for nostalgia's sake.

> One caveat. Yes, Lipton tea bags are a high volume bulk tea, designed
> for fast color release during brewing, of middling quality. However,
> Lipton does have some premium labels. Their Yellow Label and Green
> Label (100% Darjeeling) are very good - in the upper half in terms of
> quality.

Unfortunately in the US, Lipton usually has only one kind of tea on the
shelves. I use the loose tea for iced tea. I sometimes forget that this is
an international list.

> Side notes:
>
> Brooke Bond is considered to have better positioning in India than
> Lipton. Recently the Hindustan Lever made Brooke Bond its mother brand
> in India, with Taj Mahal, Taaza, Red Label, and 3 Roses under it. Lipton
> is also part of the Brooke Bond portfolio, just with separate branding.
>
> My preference for strong, bagged tea is PG Tips.

Mine too- I can actually get PG Tips at a store called Myers of Kswick, and
another, called Carry On Tea and Sympathy. Both are brick and mortar stores
in Manhattan. I'm sure that if I went up to the heavily-Irish neighborhoods
in the Bronx (the ones that see fantastic Irish sausage) I'd be able to get
it there, too.

But I tend to stay away from bagged tea, or I make up my own bags. I also
like Typhoo.

Dave Croft

"Leif Thorvaldson" > wrote in message ...
> What is the problem with Lipton's tea? Some Brit friends of mine laugh at
> the mention of it being a consumable tea? What about Red Rose. I enjoy
> both of them. Does this make me a Philistine? *G*
> Leif

Hi Leif, the problem we English have is that despite not having as
wide range of single teas easily available to us, most of the Tea
blends we usually use are of a good quality. Liptons isn't one I see
regularly or remember as particularly good.
--
Dave Croft
Warrington

Mindy

I have in the past enjoyed Liptons tea. Now I find it to be a little on
the bitter side. I even consume 10 oz or more of a cup with the tea bag
in it to find it this way. I have had regular Red Rose & regular Salada
& regular Tetley & have no problem with those. What I am now enjoying is
the Lipton flavored collection in regular with 6 flavors & black tea
with 6 flavors. They are very good... Mindy

Robert Klute

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:23:57 GMT, "Tea" > wrote:

>"Robert Klute" > wrote in message
>news

>> One caveat. Yes, Lipton tea bags are a high volume bulk tea, designed
>> for fast color release during brewing, of middling quality. However,
>> Lipton does have some premium labels. Their Yellow Label and Green
>> Label (100% Darjeeling) are very good - in the upper half in terms of
>> quality.

>Unfortunately in the US, Lipton usually has only one kind of tea on the
>shelves. I use the loose tea for iced tea. I sometimes forget that this is
>an international list.

I am in the US, on the left coast. I buy most of my loose tea at the
local Indian grocery store - there are lots here in Silicon Valley. The
rest I buy on trips to India.

>> Side notes:

>But I tend to stay away from bagged tea, or I make up my own bags. I also
>like Typhoo.

At home I use loose tea. I use a bodum tea strainer to make life easy.
For the office, I use the bags. Again, to make life easy.

Jules Dubois

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 00:32:14 -0800, in article
>, Leif Thorvaldson wrote:

> What is the problem with Lipton's tea? Some Brit friends of mine laugh at
> the mention of it being a consumable tea? What about Red Rose.

My answer to questions like those is usually, "Who cares?"

> I enjoy
> both of them.

There's the proper answer!

> Does this make me a Philistine?

No. On the other hand, are you from Philistia?
Tea

"Robert Klute" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:23:57 GMT, "Tea" > wrote:
>

> >"Robert Klute" > wrote in message
> >news

quality, or

sick,

> >> One caveat. Yes, Lipton tea bags are a high volume bulk tea, designed
> >> for fast color release during brewing, of middling quality. However,
> >> Lipton does have some premium labels. Their Yellow Label and Green
> >> Label (100% Darjeeling) are very good - in the upper half in terms of
> >> quality.

> >Unfortunately in the US, Lipton usually has only one kind of tea on the
> >shelves. I use the loose tea for iced tea. I sometimes forget that this

is
> >an international list.

> I am in the US, on the left coast. I buy most of my loose tea at the
> local Indian grocery store - there are lots here in Silicon Valley. The
> rest I buy on trips to India.

I'm on the East Coast. I see the teas you mention in Indo/Pak groceries and
sometimes British groceries, but that's pretty much it- and I've never been
to India. I suspect most of the US does not have access to these teas unless
there is an Indo/Pak community nearby.

> >> Side notes:

> >But I tend to stay away from bagged tea, or I make up my own bags. I

also
> >like Typhoo.

> At home I use loose tea. I use a bodum tea strainer to make life easy.
> For the office, I use the bags. Again, to make life easy.

Understandable. I bought some bags at my local Japanese grocery and now I
can take tea to work with me. It's nice to have a hot cuppa after being on
a sales floor for hours.

Leif Thorvaldson

"Jules Dubois" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 00:32:14 -0800, in article
> >, Leif Thorvaldson wrote:
>
> > What is the problem with Lipton's tea? Some Brit friends of mine laugh

at
> > the mention of it being a consumable tea? What about Red Rose.

> My answer to questions like those is usually, "Who cares?"
>
> > I enjoy
> > both of them.

> There's the proper answer!
>
> > Does this make me a Philistine?

> No. On the other hand, are you from Philistia?

No, I am not from Philistia. Born in NY actually, perhaps that is the next
worse thing? I guess the tea question overall comes down to the same
judgment as in Art and Music: "I know what I like."

Thanks all for playing! *G*

Leif

Tea

"Leif Thorvaldson" > wrote in message

> "Jules Dubois" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 00:32:14 -0800, in article
> > >, Leif Thorvaldson wrote:
> >
> > > What is the problem with Lipton's tea? Some Brit friends of mine

laugh
> at
> > > the mention of it being a consumable tea? What about Red Rose.

> > My answer to questions like those is usually, "Who cares?"
> >
> > > I enjoy
> > > both of them.

> > There's the proper answer!
> >
> > > Does this make me a Philistine?

> > No. On the other hand, are you from Philistia?

> No, I am not from Philistia. Born in NY actually, perhaps that is the

next
> worse thing? I guess the tea question overall comes down to the same
> judgment as in Art and Music: "I know what I like."
>
> Thanks all for playing! *G*
>
> Leif

Hey! Us Noo Yawkuhs are sensitive about our home town! An' we ain't from
Philistia, eithah!

I know and love good food, but sometimes what I want is 'comfort food'- the
kinds of things my mother once made, or dishes that make me feel homey. It's
raining in NYC, so I'm going to heat up soome home-made French onion soup-
but a part of me really wants Campbell's cream of tomato and a toasted slice
of Wonder Bread. Earlier I scarfed down an ice cream sundae- hardly the
height of foodie chic, but I could care less.

On some days, we're all from Philistia. As my neighbors would have said,
'so, nu?'

Gregory Allen-Anderson

In article >,
"Tea" > wrote:

> "Robert Klute" > wrote in message
> news
> >

> > My preference for strong, bagged tea is PG Tips.

> Mine too- I can actually get PG Tips at a store called Myers of Kswick, and
> another, called Carry On Tea and Sympathy. Both are brick and mortar stores
> in Manhattan. I'm sure that if I went up to the heavily-Irish neighborhoods
> in the Bronx (the ones that see fantastic Irish sausage) I'd be able to get
> it there, too.
>
> But I tend to stay away from bagged tea, or I make up my own bags. I also
> like Typhoo.

My preferred bag tea is Taylors Yorkshire Red, though PG Tips is a close
second. Taylors Yorkshire Gold I don't like nearly as well despite its
being a 'higher quality' tea. I do not like Typhoo, find Liptons
tolerable, but prefer loose teas if possible. I don't really have a
favorite loose tea, I keep trying different ones. Currently I have Taj
Majal. There is a tea shop at the mall in town and occassionally I buy
something there which is usually heavenly, but way to pricey for my
everyday consumption. Its fun though, smelling the teas in the
different bins trying to decide what to buy and then asking them to brew
me a cup of my just purchased tea for the trip home.

Mark Lipton, I need your help please D&K Condron Wine 1 05-11-2007 01:05 AM
lipton green tea [email protected] Tea 7 05-12-2006 02:01 AM
Has anyone tried Lipton tea lately? Rob Tea 25 08-02-2006 06:35 AM
Has Lipton tea been reformulated? Rob Tea 0 17-06-2005 04:09 PM
Lipton Ice Te RB Watts Tea 1 23-07-2004 09:23 PM