FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   Twinings Tins (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/25065-twinings-tins.html)

Henry 28-01-2004 04:20 AM

Twinings Tins

Hello all,

I never knew this group existed before, but anyway, I'm here now. A quick
question on the side of tea, does anyone collect those Twinings tins? Also
this is more applicable to everyone who buys Twinings, do you guys have mint
tins? it seems that everytime I buy one, there's some inny mini tiny chip
somewhere or scuff.....guess nothing is perfect.

Also anyone here in Canada can recommend me where I can find a brown betty
teapot?

Joseph Kubera 28-01-2004 05:19 AM

Twinings Tins

Hello and welcome, Henry.

>does anyone collect those Twinings tins?

Apparently so; see:

>do you guys have mint
>tins?

Yes, but they will be very expensive. :-)
No, seriously, I used to keep some Twinings tins around for storing new
purchases of loose tea, but somehow I kept acquiring newer tins of other kinds
of tea, so the old Twinings tins got grotty and rusty. Eventually I stopped
drinking Twinings anyway.

It was the brand that first got me into the world of tea, though, some 40 years
ago.

Joe

Jaq.3 28-01-2004 08:15 AM

Twinings Tins

Pointshop.com---search for Brown Betty. Made in England--$18.50...Jaq.

. ..

Tom 28-01-2004 10:22 AM

Twinings Tins

welcome

--Tom
-oo-
""\o~
------------------------------------
"Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto."
Terrance

Space Cowboy 28-01-2004 04:46 PM

Twinings Tins

I'm not a collector but over the decades I've never thrown away a tin
from any brand. I'm sure I've got every Twinings even my favorite
Formosa Oolong long gone. One day maybe I can retire as I see them in
antique stores for much more than I paid. During the eighties I use
to buy a tea brand in 1oz tins and I have hundreds of them. Only the
tradename was on the side and lid.

Jim

Henry 29-01-2004 03:45 AM

Twinings Tins

Thanks for all the welcomes!

I grew up drinking orange pekoe from Salada...not the greatest and bunch of
diff kinds of oolong, green teas etc found at Chinatown here in Montreal.

I know Twinings aren't the "best" out there but I've found that I like the
taste and it seems to be consistent. The ones I buy here aren't packaged in
the US but directly from the UK....I heard there were some small
differences.

Anyone what the total line of Twinings is in Canada? Doesn't mention on
their site, except for the US and Int'l.

Michael Plant 29-01-2004 11:36 AM

Twinings Tins

1/28/04

> Thanks for all the welcomes!
>
> I grew up drinking orange pekoe from Salada...not the greatest and bunch of
> diff kinds of oolong, green teas etc found at Chinatown here in Montreal.
>
> I know Twinings aren't the "best" out there but I've found that I like the
> taste and it seems to be consistent. The ones I buy here aren't packaged in
> the US but directly from the UK....I heard there were some small
> differences.
>
> Anyone what the total line of Twinings is in Canada? Doesn't mention on
> their site, except for the US and Int'l.

Henry,

Can't speak authoritatively on the Twinings and Salada issues, but if I
lived in Montreal, I would certainly check out Kevin Gascoyne at Kyela Teas

<http://www.kyelateas.com/>

Might be worth a visit for Darjeelings. (Are you familiar with him?)

Welcome aboard.

Michael

Joanne Rosen 29-01-2004 11:44 PM

Twinings Tins

have you visited camellia-senensis in downtown montreal?- it is a great
place to have tea
joanne
"Henry" > wrote in message
> Thanks for all the welcomes!
>
> I grew up drinking orange pekoe from Salada...not the greatest and bunch

of
> diff kinds of oolong, green teas etc found at Chinatown here in Montreal.
>
> I know Twinings aren't the "best" out there but I've found that I like the
> taste and it seems to be consistent. The ones I buy here aren't packaged

in
> the US but directly from the UK....I heard there were some small
> differences.
>
> Anyone what the total line of Twinings is in Canada? Doesn't mention on
> their site, except for the US and Int'l.

---

Sandra Wambold 19-02-2004 04:42 PM

Twinings Tins

"Henry" > writes:
> Also anyone here in Canada can recommend me where I can find a brown
> betty teapot?

I'm not in Canada, but a Canadian merchant that has Brown Bettys is
Murchie's (http://www.murchies.com). They have retail shops in
British Columbia and do mail order.

-sew