Old 18-01-2004, 09:07 AM
seby1689

Default Tea and Dining out

Hi,

This is my first time posting to rec.food.drink.tea. I was wondering
whether you guys could help me deal with the issue of getting quality
tea when dining out. I have the pleasure of drinking my loose-leaf
teas at home, but people tend to drag me to coffee-shops that have
horrendous tea.

Whether its Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks, I can't stand the inferior
taste of their bagged teas. And I am no fan of coffee either, so I
won't have that instead.

So the question is, what's a tea lover supposed to do when meeting
someone in a place like that?

I can't exactly bring my mesh ball with loose leaves and tell the
server to bour boiling water over it. I am pretty sure that they'd
give me a weird look and tell me they couldn't do that for me.

Old 18-01-2004, 12:35 PM
Tom

Welcome

Actually both DD and Starbucks have been very nice about serving me hot water.
And when they put it in my travel mug (rather than their cups) they have very
rarely charged for it.

Whether its Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks, I can't stand the inferior
taste of their bagged teas. And I am no fan of coffee either, so I
won't have that instead.

--Tom
-oo-
""\o~
------------------------------------
"Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto."
Terrance
Old 18-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Tee King

On 18 Jan 2004 01:07:45 -0800, (seby1689) tripped
the light fantastic, then quipped:

So the question is, what's a tea lover supposed to do when meeting
someone in a place like that?

I can't exactly bring my mesh ball with loose leaves and tell the
server to bour boiling water over it. I am pretty sure that they'd
give me a weird look and tell me they couldn't do that for me.

Welcome to the group, Seby. I carry in my bag a couple of different
types of tea in small tins with tightly-fitting lids. I also put
paper filter bags, like T-Sacs or Minit Filters (both available at
many online purveyors of tea) in the tins. In my experience, most
restaurants don't mind at all bringing me a cup of hot water, and
sometimes a [poorly insulated] small metal teapot containing enough
water for a "coupla cuppas". If I'm lucky, the water is actually hot
enough to brew a decent cup of tea (I prefer black teas that
necessitate hotter water than, say, green teas). It certainly beats
the weak, generic tea bags usually available at the restaurants I
visit. I don't drink coffee, either, so this solution, though not
quite as convenient as ordering a cup of java, works well for me.
After all, nothing beats a wonderful cup of tea after a satisfying
meal. Once again, welcome to rec.food.drink.tea. Sooner or later,
you'll see here the answer to any question you've ever had concerning
tea.

Tee
http://www.geocities.com/tee_king
Remove -no-spam- to email me.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved package, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and shouting, *GERONIMO!*"
Old 18-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Marshall Dermer

In article Tee King
writes:
Tee
http://www.geocities.com/tee_king
Remove -no-spam- to email me.

Dear Tee,

You have a very interesting web site and quite a philosophy of life:

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved package, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and shouting, *GERONIMO!*"

Go for it!!

--Marshall
Old 18-01-2004, 06:14 PM
Tee King

On 18 Jan 2004 17:23:25 GMT, (Marshall
Dermer) tripped the light fantastic, then quipped:

In article Tee King
writes:
Tee
http://www.geocities.com/tee_king
Remove -no-spam- to email me.

Dear Tee,

You have a very interesting web site and quite a philosophy of life:

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved package, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and shouting, *GERONIMO!*"

Go for it!!

--Marshall

Thank you very much, Marshall. The "Geronimo" quote isn't mine, and I
don't know who the author is, but I intend to make it my way of life.

Old 18-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Marshall Dermer

In article Tee King writes:
Thank you very much, Marshall. The "Geronimo" quote isn't mine, and I
don't know who the author is, but I intend to make it my way of life.

Tee
http://www.geocities.com/tee_king
Remove -no-spam- to email me.

OK but I just want to note that sometimes the best course is to
"roll with the punches." --Marshall

Old 18-01-2004, 09:26 PM
Dr. Gee

In article , Tee King wrote:

[snip] I carry in my bag a couple of different
types of tea in small tins with tightly-fitting lids. I also put
paper filter bags, like T-Sacs or Minit Filters (both available at
many online purveyors of tea) in the tins. In my experience, most
restaurants don't mind at all bringing me a cup of hot water [snip]

i find that the tea quality in a restaurant or eatery has nothing to with the
food quality. it amazes me that a lot of fine resturants serve mediocre tea. &
sometimes a not so good restaurant actually has decent tea.

i sometimes do the same, _if_ i remember to make my own tea bags. i sometimes
do the same when visiting friends. some people don't have tea at home & i
don't normally drink coffee nor other icy cold liquid.

green tea works better than black tea these situation since most places do not
have hot enough water.

regards,

regards,

pam @ home p}

Pam's Ode to Spammers & Telemarketers

May all spammers & telemarketers die an agonizing death; have no
burial places; their souls be chased by demons in Gehenna from one
room to another for 1000 years.
Old 18-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Dieter Folz

(seby1689) wrote in message . com...
Hi,

This is my first time posting to rec.food.drink.tea. I was wondering
whether you guys could help me deal with the issue of getting quality
tea when dining out. I have the pleasure of drinking my loose-leaf
teas at home, but people tend to drag me to coffee-shops that have
horrendous tea.

Whether its Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks, I can't stand the inferior
taste of their bagged teas. And I am no fan of coffee either, so I
won't have that instead.

So the question is, what's a tea lover supposed to do when meeting
someone in a place like that?

I can't exactly bring my mesh ball with loose leaves and tell the
server to bour boiling water over it. I am pretty sure that they'd
give me a weird look and tell me they couldn't do that for me.

Hi Seby,

here in Germany it's pretty much the same. You order a tea, and they
bring you a glass (!) with a
"cheapest-tea-availible-on-the-market-but-at-least-with-a-'brand-name'-on-it-tea-bag"
(and German tea bags are the worst in the world!), ducked into a kind
of warm water (of course, it is not hot). I never saw someone ordering
a coffee and getting a spoon with instant coffee and nearly cold
water; no, they always serve just a decent cup of coffee, and the
coffee is always hot, made freshly from grind coffe in a coffee- or
espresso-machine. BTW a glass of cheap tea bag tea costs the same as a
cup of coffee! So, they give a crap, when you ask just for hot water
(even if it isn't hot). And even at the university caffeteriea you
have to pay the full price only for hot water, whether you take one of
their non-brand-chepest-crap-of-tea tea bags with it or not (there is
a special big sign which tells all customers (mostly students) this
fact!)! And the coffeteria is just paid by the students with an extra
fee they have to pay for it every semester.

Well, let's go back to tea and dining out. Mostly, you can get a
decent Jasmine-Tea at Chinese restaurants (served traditionally in a
chinese tea pot of 0,5 litres and refilled with really warm water
every time you ask for without extra costs). Some also offer a quite
nice Keemun (which I prefer after dinner, instead of an espresso).
There are also turkish or arabic restaurants where a very very sweet
but decent Ceylon tea is served in small, tiny glasses (personally, I
don't like it very much). Intersesting enough, it is obvious, that you
can't get a decent cuppa in Indian restaurants...

From the US I heard by some friends, that the Barnes & Nobles coffee
shops offer a small variety of decent teas.

But over all, we are forced to drink water or somethong else than tea
when dining out :-(.

Dieter
Old 19-01-2004, 02:58 PM
J Boehm

But over all, we are forced to drink water or somethong else than tea
when dining out :-(.

Dieter

I have to agree with Dieter, German restaurant tea is an offence and a
rip-off. The best tea I had was at a Lufthansa lounge where they have very
good teabags and boiling hot water. The other good tea I had was at a
motorway stop in Bavaria (but only one such place up to now).
My solution to the dilemma is not to drink tea in Restaurants anymore.

JB

Old 19-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Joseph Kubera

Hello, Seby, and welcome.

Outside of a genuine tea-house it is still true that the best tea in a
restaurant is the tea you bring yourself.

I live in New York City, and here many places, even delis, have a variety of
bagged tea (black, green, flavored). At least it is not all just black tea
anymore. However, it is still no better than poor-to-average.

I have had good success being served hot water when I bring my own tea. The
trick is remembering to bring along the tea when I go out.

Joe

Old 21-01-2004, 01:54 AM
Warren C. Liebold

"seby1689" wrote

I can't exactly bring my mesh ball with loose leaves and tell the
server to bour boiling water over it. I am pretty sure that they'd
give me a weird look and tell me they couldn't do that for me.

Just another voice saying, "Yes you can."

The worst that will happen is that you'll end up paying for the hot water
and if you have to do that, remember that most of the cost of a cup of tea
at an eatery of any kind is labor and overhead. The tea bag, even if it's a
rather good tea bag, only amounts to a modest portion of the total cost.

I've carried tea balls or loose bags on Amtrak trains, into various
restaurants, and into my agency's commissary.

Although I've never done it in a really classy restaurant, which I don't
frequent in any case, I've never had a problem.

And except for a nice little place in Amherst, MA I've almost never been to
a restaurant (other than an actual tea house) which served tea as loose tea.

Warren

Old 21-01-2004, 11:24 AM
Michael Plant

Warren C. hlink.net1/20/04

"seby1689" wrote

[...]

Try this: Notice what tea they *don't* have. Ask for it. When they say
they're out of it or don't stock it, say: "Oh, my doctor says I need to
drink that one for medicinal purposes. Do you think I can just have some hot
water instead? This oughta work!

I would never do such a thing myself, but you might try.

Starbucks, be damned.

Michael

Old 21-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Dave Croft

"Joseph Kubera" wrote in message ...
Hello, Seby, and welcome.
Outside of a genuine tea-house it is still true that the best tea in a
restaurant is the tea you bring yourself.
I live in New York City, and here many places, even delis, have a variety of
bagged tea (black, green, flavored). At least it is not all just black tea
anymore. However, it is still no better than poor-to-average.
I have had good success being served hot water when I bring my own tea. The
trick is remembering to bring along the tea when I go out.
Joe

Hi Guys, As an Englishman who has just found this group I am horrified to
hear of the practice of using "Hot Water" to make tea.
Average tea bags covered with boiling water straight from the kettle is a better drink
than the best leaf tea covered by water that is off the boil.
Still it is nice to see how many are drinking tea & realise that civilisation has finaly
reached the new world. 8^)
Regards,
--
Dave Croft
Warrington

Old 21-01-2004, 03:17 PM
Dashing Starthistle

I, too, have had no problems, even in restaurants, with getting them to
serve me a cup of plain hot water.

Old 21-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Joseph Kubera

Hello, and welcome to the group, Dave. Your views from across the pond will be
appreciated.

I am horrified to
hear of the practice of using "Hot Water" to make tea.

But I wish to point out that "hot water" is usually better for green tea, if
that's what you're making, than boiling water, especially if a good whole-leaf
green. Much of the teabagged green we get over here is awful with hot water
and awful & bitter with boiling water.

Joe

Dining on nabemono werwiniskp Baking 0 02-04-2009 05:00 PM
Communal Dining? The Ranger[_2_] General Cooking 80 21-08-2008 05:01 PM
Are they ever going to fix the dining problem? Peppermint Patty General Cooking 0 25-07-2008 05:22 PM
Dining Out with a Web Connection! Joe General Cooking 5 22-02-2006 02:58 AM
Dining Out The Ranger General Cooking 117 15-11-2005 01:47 PM