Cameron Lewis

Default Mad-scientist experiments with Yixing. (fairly long)

A little explanation before the methods; there is very little that is
traditional in what follows. Quite frankly, I'm a hyper, impatient
little gwai-loh and I just don't have the patience to wait 30 years to
really make my pots blossom. Also, I'm a tinkerer. When I was a kid
(which wasn't all that long ago) I took apart all of my toys,
attempted to understand and then improve them, and sometimes even
managed to put them back together. The process of developing these
methods and trying them is fun for me and a number of my ideas have
been quite successful. Any thoughtful comments, positive or negative,
will be appreciated.

Baking Experiments: ***I've only used oolongs for these
experiments.***

Dry Leaf: to increase aroma and deepen patina. I fill a teapot with
leaf, add about a teaspoon of water, and bake in aluminum foil at 275F
for several hours. Note: causes an odd non-stick effect on the
surface (which I attribute to a build-up of tea lipids). Tea and
water bead up and roll off of the surface. Simmering in water negates
this effect. I think that the non-stick effect is positive sign, but
it's still nice to know that it's reversible.

Spent Leaf: increases aroma. I pack spent tea leaves around a teapot
and cover it all in foil. Where a leaf touches the pot, a dark
iridescent spot is formed. If total coverage is possible (through
packing with enough leaf), I may be able to deeply colour a pot very
quickly. The stains respond to buffing with a very slightly damp
cloth to even out irregularities. Best if the buffing is done while
the pot is hot out of the oven. Dancong oolongs seem to add more
fragrance than other types of spent leaves. Tiguanyin and Wu-Long
don't add much fragrance as spent leaves.

The two experiments can be done concurrently.

Painting Experiments:

With normal tea: using a slightly damp brush on a pot filled with
boiling water (important to keep surface temps high). Causes a
definite improvement in patina. Subsequent baking seems to "set" the
patina. An odd thing I've noticed is that Tiguanyin and Wu-long teas
seem to leave a much glossier residue than other oolongs I've tried.
Darker teas cause darker patinas. If I want to deepen the colour of a
pot I use a Shui Xian or a Wu-I yancha.

with tea reduction: As above but with reduced (boiled down) tea. I
haven't tried this yet as it seems risky as the reduction is cloudy
and smells a bit burnt. May acquire a cheap pot to test.

normal tea plus heating plate: as with normal painting method but
using a hot plate to provide sustained heat at around boiling temp.
Should make the process faster and may set the patina better.

with tea tinctu I've ground tea to a powder in 95% ethanol to
produce a tincture. After several days of steeping most of the waxes
and oils should be in solution. Ethanol seems to dissolve the
volatiles and lipids while leaving tannins behind. Hypothesis: when
the alcohol evaporates from the tincture (after being brushed onto the
pot), the patina forming compounds should remain on the surface. This
method could be done at room temperature. The ethanol dissolves the
desireable compounds before the tannic stuff (which I don't think
plays a role in the patina formation though I could be wrong). I'll
report on the success or lack thereof of this method in a few days.

Tea Steaming:

This is an idea I haven't tried yet. I want to try using a pressure
cooker to impart fragrance into my teapots. First I'm going to clean
the heck out of my pressure cooker to avoid having my pots smell like
beef. Once it's clean I'll take a stainless steaming basket and line
it with tea and place a teapot filled with tea over the leaves. I'll
then fill the cooker with the minimum level of water, close it up, and
start steaming. I think that the high-temp steam should strip the
aromatic compounds out of the leaves and plant them in the pot.

The tea that I use is always fairly cheap but still sufficiently
aromatic for my purposes. Anything under $20/lb is fair game AFAIC.

Regards,

Cameron Lewis