FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   Storing Pu-erh (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/25018-storing-pu-erh.html)

Tom 11-01-2004 12:25 AM

Storing Pu-erh

Hi all.

Since I have been getting into Pu-erhs recently, I seem to have accumulated a
pile of tuchas & beenchas.

Does anybody know how best to store them for maximum freshness & safe aging?

TIA.

--Tom
-oo-
""\o~
------------------------------------
"Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto."
Terrance

Mike Petro 11-01-2004 05:17 AM

Storing Pu-erh

>Since I have been getting into Pu-erhs recently, I seem to have accumulated a
>pile of tuchas & beenchas.
>
>Does anybody know how best to store them for maximum freshness & safe aging?
>
>--Tom

Hi Tom,

I recently asked the exact same question and here is what I was told
by a very knowledgable source.

First is it Green Puerh or Black Puerh?

Since Green Puerh greatly improves with age due to continued oxidation
you want to encourage this process. You want a low humidity
environment to prevent undesirable molds. The oxidation process
requires oxygen so you want free air flow but not a breeze. And it is
absolutely imperative to keep the storage space free from odors.

Black Puerh is already oxidized so you do not need to take the same
care with it as you would Green Puer. It can benefit from a brief
airing out period to minimize any musty odors. Then you can store it
in any air tight container that also blocks light. Much like you would
any other black tea. Black Puerh is already oxidized and it can
actually deteriorate the tea if further oxidation takes place.

Mike Petro

remove the "filter" in my email address to reply