Natarajan Krishnaswami

Default buttered tea

The recent thread in which someone asked about the tea used for
Tibetan butter tea reminded me that it's been a long time since I last
had any, so when I bought some cultured butter today, I made a big pot
of tea (Ten Ren tuo cha), and drank it salted and buttered from a
bowl. It's such a perfect winter drink.... Yum.

N.
Natarajan Krishnaswami

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 02:00:51 GMT, Mike Petro > wrote:
> Would you be so kind tas to share the recipe and preperation technique
> with us?

In this case, it consisted of about 10oz of the tea in a tea bowl,
mixed with 2oz milk, salt to taste, and about 1 tsp butter, beaten to
a nice froth using a wire whisk (next time, the blender!).

I'm toying with adding a little black pepper next time, and I admit my
curiouity about whether this pu-erh would take being made into masala
chai. ;-)

N.
Ben Snyder

"Natarajan Krishnaswami" > wrote in message
> The recent thread in which someone asked about the tea used for
> Tibetan butter tea reminded me that it's been a long time since I last
> had any, so when I bought some cultured butter today, I made a big pot
> of tea (Ten Ren tuo cha), and drank it salted and buttered from a
> bowl. It's such a perfect winter drink.... Yum.

I have a couple quick things to say about butter tea:

When I asked what type of tea is used, I had read somewhere that pu-erh is
not used but something called bo nay is used instead. Well, turns out that
bo nay is Cantonese for pu-erh (a Mandarin term) So it's the same :-)

I tried this with the Ten Ren tuo cha which are wrapped in plastic and are
said to be aged longer (got them at the store in San Francisco) - these were
$2 each for a 100 gram tuo. Not too good, the flavor is very mushroomy.
The $1 each which are wrapped in paper I find to be perfect. Just now I am
enjoying butter tea made from the mushroom shaped pu-erh from Holy Mountain,
this is my favorite so far though a bit more expensive than Ten Ren's

Enjoy!
-ben