Sanjay Punjab

Default restaurant style iced-tea (home results dont come close)

I am an iced tea lover. However I rarely can get the taste and
consistancy that I find at restaraunts, such as TGI Fridays etc.
I tried Lipton and Luzianne. I tried brewing the tea using a tea
kettle and pouring over ice. I also tried using my coffee maker.
Does anyone know the blend of teas commonly used in restaurant chains
for iced-tea and what their secret (if any) for making great tasting
iced-tea.
Thanks
Debbie Deutsch

(Sanjay Punjab) wrote in
om:

> I am an iced tea lover. However I rarely can get the taste and
> consistancy that I find at restaraunts, such as TGI Fridays etc.
> I tried Lipton and Luzianne. I tried brewing the tea using a tea
> kettle and pouring over ice. I also tried using my coffee maker.
> Does anyone know the blend of teas commonly used in restaurant chains
> for iced-tea and what their secret (if any) for making great tasting
> iced-tea.
> Thanks

A long time ago, when I was a student and worked in the cafeteria, we
made iced by steeping huge teabags in large amounts of water that had
been heated to boiling. I don't know if TGI Fridays does it that way or
not. However there was nothing mysterious too it in my experience.

From what you say it sounds like maybe you are boiling the tea bag
("using a tea kettle and pouring over ice")? That will make the tea
bitter. When I make iced tea at home (and it is good), I put some
Luzianne tea bags in a big measuring cup, pour in boiling water, steep,
and then pour into my glass iced tea jug. I brew the tea double
strength. Before I pour the brewed tea into the jug I put ice and water
into the jug equivalent to the amount of water used to brew the tea. In
other words, to make a 1/2 gallon of iced tea I brew 1 quart of double-
strength tea and pour it over a quart (combined) of ice and water. (In
metric terms, that's about a liter of double-strength tea over the same
amount of ice water, to yield about 2 liters.)

Another thing that could be affecting the taste of your tea (other than
boiling it - ugh) is how long you steep your tea. Too short and it will
be weak. Too long and it can become bitter. The Luzianne box has good
directions. In fact, Luzianne is so good for iced tea that every so
often I buy it over the Internet - it isn't found in supermarkets here in
the Boston area.

My last thought is that maybe the restaurants are adding sugar to the tea
before serving it. Could that be the difference?

Good luck,

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a
throw-away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if
Space Cowboy

Atmosphere. What is commonly served as tea can just as well be a herbal
infusion (Celestial Seasons comes to mind.) If the waiter keeps my glass
topped off with ice and tea I could care less about the taste just so long
it wasn't brewed in the coffee pot. You can check the previous posts on ice
tea. I prefer to let the tea adjust to room temperature before serving.
Some let chill in the refrig. When you make the tea use a big pot. My
grandma would boil water in a large pot on the stove, add the tea, let cool
and decant to a pitcher. The chefs in the kitchen probably have a tub of it
for serving which has been sitting around a couple of days. My rule of
thumb you don't want to know what is going on in the kitchen. There are
specific commercial formulations for iced tea but I think it more marketing
than anything else.

Jim

"Sanjay Punjab" > wrote in message
om...
> I am an iced tea lover. However I rarely can get the taste and
> consistancy that I find at restaraunts, such as TGI Fridays etc.
> I tried Lipton and Luzianne. I tried brewing the tea using a tea
> kettle and pouring over ice. I also tried using my coffee maker.
> Does anyone know the blend of teas commonly used in restaurant chains
> for iced-tea and what their secret (if any) for making great tasting
> iced-tea.
> Thanks

Dave

"Sanjay Punjab" > wrote in message
om...

[snip]

| Does anyone know the blend of teas commonly used in restaurant chains
| for iced-tea and what their secret (if any) for making great tasting
| iced-tea.

[Cross-posted. Follow-ups in r.f.d.t.]

How we make it in the restaurant:

Load loose tea into auto-drip coffee maker.
Run/cycle hot water over tea leaves.
Pour this concentration into tea urn containing cold water.
Mix well.
Dispense into glasses and pitchers containing ice.

More and more restaurants are using concentrates available on the wholesale
market.

How we make it in our home:

Boil water (about 1-1.5 quarts - exact does not matter - 3/4 fill your
kettle).
Place one family-sized bag (Lipton, Tetley or Luzianne - I prefer Luzianne)
into plastic or ceramic pitcher.
Pour in boiling water.
Allow to steep until water is warm-to-cool.
Remove teabag (pressing to get all the tea concentrate into the pitcher).
Fill pitcher to top with cool water.
Dispense into glasses containing ice.
Store unused tea in refrigerator (it's good for a couple days).

You will figure out over time how much water you should add to dilute the
tea you brew (given how much ice you like also). It's something you must
perfect to your taste.

My wife liked to concoct with a Mr. Tea machine using 8 personal-sized bags
poured over ice cubes. I hated the taste and took over the responsibility of
making iced tea in our home. Visitors enjoy my iced tea at our house more
than at the restaurant.

Sara Hawk

"Sanjay Punjab" > wrote in message
om...
> I am an iced tea lover. However I rarely can get the taste and
> consistancy that I find at restaraunts, such as TGI Fridays etc.
> I tried Lipton and Luzianne. I tried brewing the tea using a tea
> kettle and pouring over ice. I also tried using my coffee maker.
> Does anyone know the blend of teas commonly used in restaurant chains
> for iced-tea and what their secret (if any) for making great tasting
> iced-tea.
> Thanks

One thing that I've seen done is leaving a teabag in the cold water in the
fridge overnight. Haven't done it myself but I've tried the iced tea, it
wasn't too bad. Maybe this will work for you?