Mary

Default Oregon Chai's 'Chai Nog' spices?

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:59:06 -0800, crymad >
wrote:
>Mary wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:48:29 -0800, crymad >
>> wrote:
>> >Mary wrote:

>> /snip/
>> >
>> >Yes, it's that time of year again! Let's all join the Hindus and toast
>> >the spirit of the season with a glass of their traditional Christmas
>> >drink, Chai Nog!

>> LOL! But don't our traditional 'holiday spices' also come from the
>> tropics? Nutmeg, cloves, allspice, mace.... What else could Oregon Chai
>> be putting in it?

>Well, don't tell anyone, but the secret ingredient for that special
>mouthfeel in authentic Hindu Chai Nog...is gelatin. Gelatin from the
>bones and hides of beef. They sort of relax the rules a bit during
>Christmastime.

:-) The gelatin is easy: just the traditional non-secret chai spices
make gelatin or something like it.

What I'm trying to find is the strong flavors in it, maybe star
anise...? It might be in Dromedary Gingerbread Mix too.... :-)

Mary
crymad

Mary wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:59:06 -0800, crymad >
> wrote:
> >Mary wrote:

> >> /snip/

> >> LOL! But don't our traditional 'holiday spices' also come from the
> >> tropics? Nutmeg, cloves, allspice, mace.... What else could Oregon Chai
> >> be putting in it?

> >Well, don't tell anyone, but the secret ingredient for that special
> >mouthfeel in authentic Hindu Chai Nog...is gelatin. Gelatin from the
> >bones and hides of beef. They sort of relax the rules a bit during
> >Christmastime.

> :-) The gelatin is easy: just the traditional non-secret chai spices
> make gelatin or something like it.
>
> What I'm trying to find is the strong flavors in it, maybe star
> anise...? It might be in Dromedary Gingerbread Mix too.... :-)

No, you're thinking of camel gelatin. Hindus can eat of the camel only
during Passover.

--crymad
Michael Plant

11/18/03

> Mary wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:59:06 -0800, crymad >
>> wrote:

>>> Well, don't tell anyone, but the secret ingredient for that special
>>> mouthfeel in authentic Hindu Chai Nog...is gelatin. Gelatin from the
>>> bones and hides of beef. They sort of relax the rules a bit during
>>> Christmastime.

>> :-) The gelatin is easy: just the traditional non-secret chai spices
>> make gelatin or something like it.
>>
>> What I'm trying to find is the strong flavors in it, maybe star
>> anise...? It might be in Dromedary Gingerbread Mix too.... :-)

> No, you're thinking of camel gelatin. Hindus can eat of the camel only
> during Passover.
>
> --crymad

The saddest thing in the world I ever saw was a poor guy trying to sell
boxes of Christmas cards on a street in Bombay in December. It was hot as
hell. The little snowy santas on cheapo cards were miserable.

Cloven hoof.

Michael

Chai Tea - Tea 2 05-01-2007 02:16 PM
chai crisps with chai cream - recipe tony General Cooking 0 27-09-2006 10:44 PM
chai spices help find SN Tea 2 08-05-2006 08:22 AM
A Good Use For Oregon Chai Cider Alex Krupp Tea 0 19-11-2003 06:21 AM
New to Chai BM Tea 2 03-11-2003 02:32 PM