Tea

Default tea accessories in NYC

I was over in the West Village today, and I stopped into my two favorite
British shops- Myers of Keswick and Carry On Tea and Sympathy. Both are
owned by British expatriates, and carry a wide variety of British goods.

Myers is a British-style grocery shop and carries pretty much anyone would
need for a simple British teatime except the milk They carry Ty-Phoo, PG
Tips, and Yorkshire Tea, as well as sausages made right there in the shop by
the ownener who was a master butcher in Britain. They also carry pasties
and pies. The curry pie is fantastic. They also have a variety of sweets,
including Mr. Kipling brand bakewell tarts, Wagon Wheels, most of the
McVities line and tinned sponge cakes that can be heated up. If you want an
authentic Brown Betty teapot or a knitted teacozy, they have those too, as
well as tea towels. This season, they also have handmade mince pies.

Carry On Tea and Sympathy lies between two other shops that all that the
same owner- Tea and Sympathy (a great teashop that specializes in lunches,
suppers and high tea- that is a fullbodied meal with sandwiches) and A Salt
and Battery, which serves take-away fish and chips. COT&S reminds me of the
kinds of shops I picture in Dickens, or the old 5 & 10 I grew up with, only
a little posher. They sell Taylor's of Harrogate teas as well as lots of
others, and they have a larger selection of teapots and cups than Myers.
Like Myers, they are taking orders for mince pies, and they have packaged
plum puddings that are suitable for vegetarians. I would suggest you stop
in Myers first and then go to COT&S, because if you don't you won't have a
penny or any carrying armroom left by the time you get there. Both places
make me feel like they popped out of an episode of 'All Creatures Great and
Small.'

http://www.myersofkeswick.com
http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com/

--
'Patior Sed Supervivo' - 'I Suffer, But I Survive'

Agalena

"Tea" > wrote in message
> I was over in the West Village today, and I stopped into my two favorite
> British shops- Myers of Keswick and Carry On Tea and Sympathy. Both are
> owned by British expatriates, and carry a wide variety of British goods.
>
> Myers is a British-style grocery shop and carries pretty much anyone would
> need for a simple British teatime except the milk They carry Ty-Phoo, PG
> Tips, and Yorkshire Tea, as well as sausages made right there in the shop

by
> the ownener who was a master butcher in Britain. They also carry pasties
> and pies. The curry pie is fantastic. They also have a variety of sweets,
> including Mr. Kipling brand bakewell tarts, Wagon Wheels, most of the
> McVities line and tinned sponge cakes that can be heated up. If you want

an
> authentic Brown Betty teapot or a knitted teacozy, they have those too, as
> well as tea towels. This season, they also have handmade mince pies.
>
> Carry On Tea and Sympathy lies between two other shops that all that the
> same owner- Tea and Sympathy (a great teashop that specializes in lunches,
> suppers and high tea- that is a fullbodied meal with sandwiches) and A

Salt
> and Battery, which serves take-away fish and chips. COT&S reminds me of

the
> kinds of shops I picture in Dickens, or the old 5 & 10 I grew up with,

only
> a little posher. They sell Taylor's of Harrogate teas as well as lots of
> others, and they have a larger selection of teapots and cups than Myers.
> Like Myers, they are taking orders for mince pies, and they have packaged
> plum puddings that are suitable for vegetarians. I would suggest you stop
> in Myers first and then go to COT&S, because if you don't you won't have a
> penny or any carrying armroom left by the time you get there. Both places
> make me feel like they popped out of an episode of 'All Creatures Great

and
> Small.'
>
> http://www.myersofkeswick.com
> http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com/

You realize you're making those of us who live far from NYC very jealous!

Agalena

Tee King

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 06:31:59 GMT, "Agalena" >
tripped the light fantastic, then quipped:

>> http://www.myersofkeswick.com
>> http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com/
>>

>You realize you're making those of us who live far from NYC very jealous!
>
>Agalena

Isn't that the truth!

·.·´¨ ¨)) :¤:
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Tee
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
:¤: ((¸¸ ·.·

http://www.geocities.com/tee_king
Remove -no-spam- to email me.

Tea

"Agalena" > wrote in message

> "Tea" > wrote in message
> > I was over in the West Village today, and I stopped into my two favorite
> > British shops- Myers of Keswick and Carry On Tea and Sympathy. Both

are
> > owned by British expatriates, and carry a wide variety of British goods.
> >
> > Myers is a British-style grocery shop and carries pretty much anyone

would
> > need for a simple British teatime except the milk They carry Ty-Phoo, PG
> > Tips, and Yorkshire Tea, as well as sausages made right there in the

shop
> by
> > the ownener who was a master butcher in Britain. They also carry

pasties
> > and pies. The curry pie is fantastic. They also have a variety of

sweets,
> > including Mr. Kipling brand bakewell tarts, Wagon Wheels, most of the
> > McVities line and tinned sponge cakes that can be heated up. If you

want
> an
> > authentic Brown Betty teapot or a knitted teacozy, they have those too,

as
> > well as tea towels. This season, they also have handmade mince pies.
> >
> > Carry On Tea and Sympathy lies between two other shops that all that the
> > same owner- Tea and Sympathy (a great teashop that specializes in

lunches,
> > suppers and high tea- that is a fullbodied meal with sandwiches) and A

> Salt
> > and Battery, which serves take-away fish and chips. COT&S reminds me of

> the
> > kinds of shops I picture in Dickens, or the old 5 & 10 I grew up with,

> only
> > a little posher. They sell Taylor's of Harrogate teas as well as lots

of
> > others, and they have a larger selection of teapots and cups than Myers.
> > Like Myers, they are taking orders for mince pies, and they have

packaged
> > plum puddings that are suitable for vegetarians. I would suggest you

stop
> > in Myers first and then go to COT&S, because if you don't you won't have

> > penny or any carrying armroom left by the time you get there. Both

places
> > make me feel like they popped out of an episode of 'All Creatures Great

> and
> > Small.'
> >
> > http://www.myersofkeswick.com
> > http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com/
> >

> You realize you're making those of us who live far from NYC very jealous!
>
> Agalena

Ah- but Myers will mail you whatever you want!

Tea

"Tee King" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 06:31:59 GMT, "Agalena" >
> tripped the light fantastic, then quipped:
>
> >> http://www.myersofkeswick.com
> >> http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com/
> >>

> >You realize you're making those of us who live far from NYC very jealous!
> >
> >Agalena

> Isn't that the truth!
>
> ·.·´¨ ¨)) :¤:
> ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
> Tee
> ((¸¸.·´ ..·´
> :¤: ((¸¸ ·.·
>
> http://www.geocities.com/tee_king
> Remove -no-spam- to email me.

Again- the woners of Fed Ex. If you go to the Myers site, they have a list
of all the items they carry, down to Fairy soap. You can order British
groceries to your heart's content, including those great sausages.

Space Cowboy

There are similar shops in my metro area. Basically run by British women
married to American men. I found one last year that had been in business
over 20 years in a rundown shopette. The real problem these stores aren't
in the yellow pages and they don't advertise.

Jim

"Agalena" > wrote in message

> "Tea" > wrote in message
> > I was over in the West Village today, and I stopped into my two favorite

British shops

> You realize you're making those of us who live far from NYC very jealous!
>
> Agalena

Tee King

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:23:39 GMT, "Tea" > tripped
the light fantastic, then quipped:

>> >You realize you're making those of us who live far from NYC very jealous!

>> Isn't that the truth!

>Again- the woners of Fed Ex. If you go to the Myers site, they have a list
>of all the items they carry, down to Fairy soap. You can order British
>groceries to your heart's content, including those great sausages.

I did go and look at the web site, but it's just not the same...the
sights, sounds, smells, tastes...being there in person would just be
so much better.

·.·´¨ ¨)) :¤:
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Tee
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
:¤: ((¸¸ ·.·

http://www.geocities.com/tee_king
Remove -no-spam- to email me.

Agalena

"Tea" > wrote in message

> [...]

> > > Like Myers, they are taking orders for mince pies, and they have

> packaged
> > > plum puddings that are suitable for vegetarians. I would suggest you

> stop
> > > in Myers first and then go to COT&S, because if you don't you won't

have
> > > penny or any carrying armroom left by the time you get there. Both

> places
> > > make me feel like they popped out of an episode of 'All Creatures

Great
> > and
> > > Small.'
> > >
> > > http://www.myersofkeswick.com
> > > http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com/
> > >

> > You realize you're making those of us who live far from NYC very

jealous!

> > Agalena

> Ah- but Myers will mail you whatever you want!

But it's so much more fun to browse the shop in person! We do have a shop
here that sells a lot of British foods, but it's mostly the packaged stuff.
Not the things like sausages!

Bob Newell

In article <yzFsb.138734$9E1.703242@attbi_s52>, Agalena wrote:

>"Tea" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I was over in the West Village today, and I stopped into my two favorite
>> British shops- Myers of Keswick and Carry On Tea and Sympathy. Both are

>You realize you're making those of us who live far from NYC very jealous!

No kidding. Not much in the way of British shops here in the mountains
of northern New Mexico. Lots of good chile but only one decent tea shop
(recently reviewed in this newsgroup; I think I go there every Sunday now).

Internet shopping is fine, but being in the shop to see, smell, touch, and
experience would be so much better. I wouldn't buy my chile over the net
either!
Space Cowboy

In my previous life I was a resident of NM for about ten years. One time I
traveled through the reservation west of Bandelier. I forget the name. I
just so happened to have a thermos of tea and came across an Indian making
fried bread by the road. I had a lot of magical moments in NM but this was
almost mystical. We shared tea and bread. I've never forgiven myself for
not staying and becoming a trader. Taos, Santa Fe, Albukookoo don't seem
the same when I go back.

Jim