Ripon

Default Afternoon Tea

Dear Tea lovers:

What is your favorite afternoon tea? Do you drink it straight or use
milk? How many of you go to hotel or tea room for High tea? What kind
of tea you drink there? What is your favorite place name for High
tea? What is your comment on this timing issue about High tea-4:00
P.M. or 5:00 P.M.

Ripon
(From Bangladesh)
My Aunt Fanny

"Ripon" > wrote in message
om...
> Dear Tea lovers:
>
> What is your favorite afternoon tea? Do you drink it straight or use
> milk? How many of you go to hotel or tea room for High tea? What kind
> of tea you drink there? What is your favorite place name for High
> tea? What is your comment on this timing issue about High tea-4:00
> P.M. or 5:00 P.M.
>

> Ripon
> (From Bangladesh)

I don't think you mean "high tea."

Pen

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:28:27 GMT, "My Aunt Fanny" >
wrote:

>"Ripon" > wrote in message
. com...
>> Dear Tea lovers:
>>
>> What is your favorite afternoon tea? Do you drink it straight or use
>> milk? How many of you go to hotel or tea room for High tea? What kind
>> of tea you drink there? What is your favorite place name for High
>> tea? What is your comment on this timing issue about High tea-4:00
>> P.M. or 5:00 P.M.
>>

>> Ripon
>> (From Bangladesh)

>I don't think you mean "high tea."

quite ... high tea is a working class meal ... afternoon tea is the
cucumber sandwiches, scones mid-afternoon repast ... the working class
call the evening meal 'tea', not dinner or supper ... they generally
use 'dinner' for the lunch time meal.

Pen
Larry Weil

In article >, Pen <hillave @ bt internet.com > wrote:

high tea is a working class meal

Huh? Most working class people (whatever that means) are too busy working.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH
fLameDogg

Pen > wrote in
:

> I do apologise if I was not clear ... high tea is a meal at the end of
> the working day ... not the 4 p.m. reviving break which is followed by
> the evening meal hours later.

I don't know high from low when it comes to tea, but I found this bit under
"The History of Tea" over at Stash Tea quite interesting:

<quote>
At this time two distinct forms of tea services evolved: "High" and "Low".
"Low" Tea (served in the low part of the afternoon) was served in
aristocratic homes of the wealthy and featured gourmet tidbits rather than
solid meals. The emphasis was on presentation and conversation. "High" Tea
or "Meat Tea" was the main or "High" meal of the day. It was the major meal
of the middle and lower classes and consisted of mostly full dinner items
such as roast beef, mashed potatoes, peas, and of course, tea.
</quote>

So, according to this, the aristocrats were having "Low Tea" whereas the
"middle and lower classes" were having "High Tea". Is that right? I never
would have guessed that. "High Tea" has always sounded to me like
something one would have with the Queen.

--
fD
J Boehm

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 05:23:56 +0000, fLameDogg wrote:

> Pen > wrote in
> :
>
>> I do apologise if I was not clear ... high tea is a meal at the end of
>> the working day ... not the 4 p.m. reviving break which is followed by
>> the evening meal hours later.

> I don't know high from low when it comes to tea, but I found this bit under
> "The History of Tea" over at Stash Tea quite interesting:
>
> <quote>
> At this time two distinct forms of tea services evolved: "High" and "Low".
> "Low" Tea (served in the low part of the afternoon) was served in
> aristocratic homes of the wealthy and featured gourmet tidbits rather than
> solid meals. The emphasis was on presentation and conversation. "High" Tea
> or "Meat Tea" was the main or "High" meal of the day. It was the major meal
> of the middle and lower classes and consisted of mostly full dinner items
> such as roast beef, mashed potatoes, peas, and of course, tea.
> </quote>
>
> So, according to this, the aristocrats were having "Low Tea" whereas the
> "middle and lower classes" were having "High Tea". Is that right? I never
> would have guessed that. "High Tea" has always sounded to me like
> something one would have with the Queen.

Could it not be that Low Tea was taken at sitting room tables and High Tea
from dining room tables?

JB
fLameDogg

On 2003-11-16, J Boehm > wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 05:23:56 +0000, fLameDogg wrote:

<snip>

>> So, according to this, the aristocrats were having "Low Tea" whereas the
>> "middle and lower classes" were having "High Tea". Is that right? I never
>> would have guessed that. "High Tea" has always sounded to me like
>> something one would have with the Queen.

> Could it not be that Low Tea was taken at sitting room tables and High Tea
> from dining room tables?

Sounds reasonable to me. The sense I get from dictionary.com and the
Stash bit is that "High" Tea is tea with lots of goodies, and "Low" Tea
is (little more than) simply tea; but this might be one of those things
with many possible explanations. I hasten once again to point out my
vast tea-ignorance, and happily await enlightenment.
--
fD
Derek

On 16 Nov 2003, fLameDogg posted the following to
rec.food.drink.tea:

> On 2003-11-16, J Boehm > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 05:23:56 +0000, fLameDogg wrote:

> <snip>
>
>>> So, according to this, the aristocrats were having "Low Tea"
>>> whereas the "middle and lower classes" were having "High Tea".
>>> Is that right? I never would have guessed that. "High Tea"
>>> has always sounded to me like something one would have with
>>> the Queen.

>> Could it not be that Low Tea was taken at sitting room tables
>> and High Tea from dining room tables?

> Sounds reasonable to me. The sense I get from dictionary.com
> and the Stash bit is that "High" Tea is tea with lots of
> goodies, and "Low" Tea is (little more than) simply tea; but
> this might be one of those things with many possible
> explanations. I hasten once again to point out my vast
> tea-ignorance, and happily await enlightenment.

From http://www.tea.ca/consumers_teaFAQ.a...on=foodservice

4.3. What is served at afternoon tea?

That depends on what kind of tea it is. Traditionally, the upper
classes serve a "low" or "afternoon" tea around 4:00 PM, at which
one might find crustless sandwiches, biscuits, and cake. Middle and
lower classes have a "high" tea later in the day, at 5:00 or 6:00.
It is a more substantial meal -- essentially, it's dinner -- which
includes bread, meats, scones, and cake.

Apparently, many Americans have the impression that "high tea" is
the meal served by "high-class" people. Actually, the names derive
from the height of the tables on which the meals are served. Low
tea is served on tables, which in Canada would be called "coffee
tables." High tea is served on the dinner table.

--
Derek

The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut by the lawn
mower.
J Boehm

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:41:04 +0000, fLameDogg wrote:

> On 2003-11-16, J Boehm > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 05:23:56 +0000, fLameDogg wrote:

> <snip>
>
>>> So, according to this, the aristocrats were having "Low Tea" whereas the
>>> "middle and lower classes" were having "High Tea". Is that right? I never
>>> would have guessed that. "High Tea" has always sounded to me like
>>> something one would have with the Queen.

>> Could it not be that Low Tea was taken at sitting room tables and High Tea
>> from dining room tables?

> Sounds reasonable to me. The sense I get from dictionary.com and the
> Stash bit is that "High" Tea is tea with lots of goodies, and "Low" Tea
> is (little more than) simply tea; but this might be one of those things
> with many possible explanations. I hasten once again to point out my
> vast tea-ignorance, and happily await enlightenment.

Let's have some Low Tea, dear!
To my recollection this phrase does not exist. One just has some tea,
independent of class.

JB

JB

Christopher Roberson

Derek > wrote:

> From http://www.tea.ca/consumers_teaFAQ.a...on=foodservice
>
> 4.3. What is served at afternoon tea?
>
> That depends on what kind of tea it is. [etc.]

Also known as the rec.food.drink.tea FAQ, which you can find at:

http://pages.ripco.net/~c4ha2na9/tea/faq.html

--
Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, '227,
any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address
Derek

It was open stage night in rec.food.drink.tea, when Christopher
Roberson stepped up to the microphone and muttered:

> Derek > wrote:
>
>> From http://www.tea.ca/consumers_teaFAQ.a...on=foodservice
>>
>> 4.3. What is served at afternoon tea?
>>
>> That depends on what kind of tea it is. [etc.]

> Also known as the rec.food.drink.tea FAQ, which you can find at:
>
> http://pages.ripco.net/~c4ha2na9/tea/faq.html

DUH! [slaps hand to forehead]

--
Derek

Leaders are like eagles. We don't have either of them here.