Ripon

Default How to clean your teapot

Dear Tea lovers:

How do you clean your teapot. Do you clean it with soap? just rinse
with water? Do you put your teapot into dish washer?

Do you dry it outside or inside?

Do you ever use baking soda? Or just use boiling water? Do you soak
over night?

All the question about the tea pot you are using. Thanks for your
comment.

Ripon
(From Bangladesh)
Debbie Deutsch

(Ripon) wrote in news:40276237.0311060013.71bdeff5
@posting.google.com:

> Dear Tea lovers:
>
> How do you clean your teapot. Do you clean it with soap? just rinse
> with water? Do you put your teapot into dish washer?
>
> Do you dry it outside or inside?
>
> Do you ever use baking soda? Or just use boiling water? Do you soak
> over night?
>
> All the question about the tea pot you are using. Thanks for your
> comment.
>
> Ripon
> (From Bangladesh)

Interesting question - and maybe worth some discussion. Perhaps the
"right" way to clean a teapot depends on the material out of which the
teapot is made, and perhaps, personal taste. In particular, one might
treat glazed teapots and porous teapots differently. I own some glazed
porcelain teapots, a gaiwan set that is glazed inside but clay outside,
and an unglazed kyushu (Japanese teapot with the handle sticking out the
side).

While some people believe that the tea buildup inside a teapot can
enhance the flavor of the brew, I do not march to that drummer. For one
thing, I brew a wide variety of teas in my porcelain teapot. I don't
want a smoky lapsang souchong flavor (or the jasmine scent/flavor from
Dragon Pearls) in a subsequent brewing of a more delicate tea. I don't
even want my favorite Yunnan Golden Needles to flavor or scent the new
Darjeeling I am about to try. As a result, I try to keep my porcelain
teapots free of tea build-up. Following this principle, I have the
same attitude towards my gaiwan (and matching drinking and aroma cups).

I suppose that if I had a breakfast tea habit I might dedicate a pot to
that and forgo the thorough cleanings.

I eliminate tea build-up using detergent or soap, plus some scrubbing if
it has gotten visible. I rinse thoroughly afterwards. Since I am
dealing with glazed surfaces, I don't see how this could be a bad thing.
There shouldn't be any detergent or soap residue left behind. I
certainly can't taste anything. (Do I have defective taste buds?) I
treat filter baskets (stand-alone or from Chatsford teapots) the same
way. They are non-porous and should not retain soap or detergent if
rinsed well.

I don't use detergent or soap on the kyushu. I limit its use to senchas.

Okay, maybe I am alone in this... am I?

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a
throw-away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if

J Boehm

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 09:13:47 +0100, Ripon wrote:

> Dear Tea lovers:
>
> How do you clean your teapot. Do you clean it with soap? just rinse with
> water? Do you put your teapot into dish washer?
>
> Do you dry it outside or inside?
>
> Do you ever use baking soda? Or just use boiling water? Do you soak over
> night?
>
> All the question about the tea pot you are using. Thanks for your
> comment.
>
> Ripon
> (From Bangladesh)

Salt
Ripon

J Boehm > wrote in message >...
> On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 09:13:47 +0100, Ripon wrote:
>
> > Dear Tea lovers:
> >
> > How do you clean your teapot. Do you clean it with soap? just rinse with
> > water? Do you put your teapot into dish washer?
> >
> > Do you dry it outside or inside?
> >
> > Do you ever use baking soda? Or just use boiling water? Do you soak over
> > night?
> >
> > All the question about the tea pot you are using. Thanks for your
> > comment.
> >
> > Ripon
> > (From Bangladesh)

> Salt

Dear J:

This is the answer I was looking for. One of my Nepalese friend
adviced me once to use salt to clean up but I wasn't sure. Tomorrow I
am going to try with salt. Thanks again for your valuable
contribution. Where did you get this idea to use salt?

Ripon
(From Bangladesh)
Joanne Rosen

yixing teapots are just rinsed and air dried-
porcelain and glazed teapots are cleaned with baking soda and salt-rubbed
with the paste and then rinsed-no detergents are used or are the tepots
put in thedish washer
Joanne
"Ripon" > wrote in message
om...
> Dear Tea lovers:
>
> How do you clean your teapot. Do you clean it with soap? just rinse
> with water? Do you put your teapot into dish washer?
>
> Do you dry it outside or inside?
>
> Do you ever use baking soda? Or just use boiling water? Do you soak
> over night?
>
> All the question about the tea pot you are using. Thanks for your
> comment.
>
> Ripon
> (From Bangladesh)

---

Space Cowboy

I've never cleaned a teapot. Simply over time cleaning will damage the
surface especially for clay. The sheen for porcelain will fade over time if
cleaned too often. I've had many a chuckle from someones pristine porcelein
tea pot and dark spout. If you clean a teapot you're looking for a handling
accident.

Jim

>How do you clean your teapot.

J Boehm

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 15:43:30 -0800, Ripon wrote:

> J Boehm > wrote in message >...
>> On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 09:13:47 +0100, Ripon wrote:
>>
>> > Dear Tea lovers:
>> >
>> > How do you clean your teapot. Do you clean it with soap? just rinse with
>> > water? Do you put your teapot into dish washer?
>> >
>> > Do you dry it outside or inside?
>> >
>> > Do you ever use baking soda? Or just use boiling water? Do you soak over
>> > night?
>> >
>> > All the question about the tea pot you are using. Thanks for your
>> > comment.
>> >
>> > Ripon
>> > (From Bangladesh)

>> Salt

> Dear J:
>
> This is the answer I was looking for. One of my Nepalese friend
> adviced me once to use salt to clean up but I wasn't sure. Tomorrow I
> am going to try with salt. Thanks again for your valuable
> contribution. Where did you get this idea to use salt?
>
> Ripon
> (From Bangladesh)

I got the idea, I think, from this newsgroup. Salt is good for cleaning
staines from tea cups if you leave salty solution for a while in there. It
also cleans pots. Never tried it on a metal container though.

JB

Joseph Kubera

My pots are mostly glazed, but I have one yixing pot.

The yixing just gets rinsed with hot water and air-dried.

The glazed ones can go either way. The oils in some teas can persist on the
interior surface and take a lot of rubbing to remove without using a soap or
detergent. Depends on my mood whether I use soap or not. Haven't had a bad
soap-taste issue.

I guess I could just lightly rinse, but the slimy residue bothers me. Baking
soda/salt does seem a better alternative to soaps.

BTW, I brew mostly greens and oolongs. Perhaps black teas rinse cleanly.

Joe

What do you know about this teapot? j h Tea 7 11-11-2009 04:09 AM
Cheap teapot TeaDave Tea 15 23-04-2006 02:51 AM
teapot vs. mug ostaz Tea 9 19-01-2006 02:53 PM