Tom

Default Decaffeinated tea

I am trying to switch from regular tea to decanfeinated but have not
found any that have much taste. Can anyone suggest a good brand?

Tom
Agalena

"Tom" > wrote in message
om...
> I am trying to switch from regular tea to decanfeinated but have not
> found any that have much taste. Can anyone suggest a good brand?
>
> Tom

Good luck. I've been on the same search for a couple years and haven't found
anything that's very good. The best I've found for an unflavored black tea
is, amazingly, a bag tea. It's called Tea-Lover's Decaf and can be found at
leaves.com. It actually has some flavor and aroma unlike the other decafs
I've tried. I often resort to a flavored decaf since the unflavored ones
usually have no taste. The best I've found in that department is the peach
apricot decaf from houseoftea.com. I just tried a apricot flavored decaf
green tea from specialteas.com that isn't bad.

Agalena

Shrewsbury

I have found that the decaffeinated teas from The Republic of Tea (
www.republicoftea.com ) do not lose much taste or aroma at all... they use a
natural high-pressure CO2 proccess to decaffeinate, unlike most companies
which use ethyl acetate. Unfortunately, they do not have any straight black
decaf teas, but I do suggest their "Earl Greyer" decaf.
Also, have you ever tried Rooibos, or "red" tea? It is a naturally
caffeine-free herbal tea, full of antioxidants, and in plain form tastes, I
think, very much like strong black tea.
A third option is to decaffeinate the tea yourself: pour boiling water over
the tea into the cup, then immediately discard that liquid. Pour boiling
water over the tea again and steep as usual. Ninety percent of the caffeine
in tea is released with the first washing-over of boiling water. I am
sensitive to caffeine and have tried this method many times with much
success.

"Tom" > wrote in message
om...
> I am trying to switch from regular tea to decanfeinated but have not
> found any that have much taste. Can anyone suggest a good brand?
>
> Tom

Lewis Perin

"Shrewsbury" > writes:

> [...CO2 decaffeination and rooibos...]
> A third option is to decaffeinate the tea yourself: pour boiling water over
> the tea into the cup, then immediately discard that liquid. Pour boiling
> water over the tea again and steep as usual. Ninety percent of the caffeine
> in tea is released with the first washing-over of boiling water. I am
> sensitive to caffeine and have tried this method many times with much
> success.

Is this 90% figure from your own measurements? If not, you may be
less sensitive to caffeine than you think. Please check Google Groups
for a long thread regarding *measured* caffeine in the cup.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Shrewsbury

I read about this method in a message board... the message was from someone
who works at the republic of tea (the "message board" is actually a Q&A
section on their website, A's by employees of RofTea). I admit it may be
wrong. However, whereas I usually would be up most of the night if I drank
tea after 2pm, this method seems to enable me to enjoy tea in late afternoon
without missed sleep. Maybe it's a placebo effect, it's certainly possible.
But thank you for referring me to that thread, I will now check it out.

news