Parislexi

Default Tea Scale

Your recommendations for a good digital/electronic scale for measuring
tea, please.

Also, recommendations for ordering teas online - upton tea?, stash
tea?, ???

I am a newbie to green, assam, darjeeling, oolong teas (mainly drank
herbal 'teas'), and have decided to explore the 'real' world of teas.
Debbie Deutsch

(Parislexi) wrote in news:6eef34c4.0311010658.34e53c96
@posting.google.com:

> Your recommendations for a good digital/electronic scale for measuring
> tea, please.
>
> Also, recommendations for ordering teas online - upton tea?, stash
> tea?, ???
>
> I am a newbie to green, assam, darjeeling, oolong teas (mainly drank
> herbal 'teas'), and have decided to explore the 'real' world of teas.

I like my Tanita 1479V for weighing tea. It is small, inexpensive, and the
display is easy to read and stays on for quite a while before switching
itself off.

Upton Tea is a good source for black teas, including Assam and Darjeeling.
While they also have greens and oolongs, I prefer SpecialTeas for those.
Those two are good places to start - large selections and you can buy small
samples. I've also enjoyed teas from Rishi Teas, In Pursuit of Tea, and
Holy Mountain. Rishi's selection is more limited but very, very good. The
same goes for IPoT. Holy Mountain is more eclectic and seems a good place
for greens. Like Upton and SpecialTeas, Holy Mountain also has small
samples, so you can try many things for not too much money.

If I had to choose only one source to begin exploring tea, I'd start with
SpecialTeas. They typically throw in an extra sample (their choice) with
your order. I've had some delightful surprises that way (in particular,
Ting Tung Oolong and Hairy Crab Oolong).

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a throw-
away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if and when
Warren C. Liebold

I agree with Debbie's recommendations for online retailers. I drink mostly
black and oolong teas and Upton's service (incredibly fast and through USPS
which is better for me than UPS) is very good.

I own a basic digital scale (Salter, under $30 I think at discounters) which
I did originally buy for tea but which is large enough for other
food-related purposes. I have to admit that once I used it several times
with different kinds of tea and began to get a feel for the volume/weight
relationship of the teas I was drinking, I went back to volume. But it is
certainly true that if you are trying to properly replicate someone else's
brew instructions, weight is much better than volume.

Warren

. 97.132...