Old 10-10-2003, 06:51 AM
Eric

Default tea addicts

Hi Everyone,

DOes anyone here consider themselves a tea addict??? I myself have
gone into the upper limits of up to 14-16 teas in one day but I don't
often do that. I usually stay in between 2-8 teas in one day usually
max. Thats nothing compared to the late Dr. Samuel Johnson who drank
upwards of 40 cups a day !!! (http://www.boh.com.my/pl/pubdoc/2080)

What do find your consuming on a daily basis? Your max?

Old 10-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Joseph Kubera

I will stand up and be counted.

Hi, everyone. My name is Joe, and I'm a tea-holic. [HI, JOE!]

I don't count my cups per day. Minimum 2 in the AM, 3 in the afternoon, but it
can often go beyond that.

Joe
Old 10-10-2003, 08:14 PM

Joseph Kubera wrote:
I will stand up and be counted.

Hi, everyone. My name is Joe, and I'm a tea-holic. [HI, JOE!]

I don't count my cups per day. Minimum 2 in the AM, 3 in the afternoon, but it
can often go beyond that.

Joe

There is nothing wrong with that!

Frank

Old 10-10-2003, 10:20 PM
Derek

It was a dark and stormy night when Eric stepped out of the alley
onto "rec.food.drink.tea" and cried out:

Hi Everyone,

DOes anyone here consider themselves a tea addict??? I myself
have gone into the upper limits of up to 14-16 teas in one day
but I don't often do that. I usually stay in between 2-8 teas in
one day usually max. Thats nothing compared to the late Dr.
Samuel Johnson who drank upwards of 40 cups a day !!!
(http://www.boh.com.my/pl/pubdoc/2080)

What do find your consuming on a daily basis? Your max?

"Théaphiles of the world, steep!"

Guilty as charged. I keep upwards of 12 different types of tea in
the house. If I don't have a couple of cups in the morning, the day
is shot.

And I've ODed on tea, consuming so much that I got the shakes. But
it was soooooooooooo good.

Derek

--

It's not "free" speech when I have to pay for the privilege
of listening to a message that I don't want to hear.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:45 PM
Agalena

"Eric" wrote in message
om...
Hi Everyone,

DOes anyone here consider themselves a tea addict??? I myself have
gone into the upper limits of up to 14-16 teas in one day but I don't
often do that. I usually stay in between 2-8 teas in one day usually
max. Thats nothing compared to the late Dr. Samuel Johnson who drank
upwards of 40 cups a day !!! (http://www.boh.com.my/pl/pubdoc/2080)

What do find your consuming on a daily basis? Your max?

Yup. That's me. I don't think I've done more than 5 or 6 cups in a day,
and I don't do that often because I have to watch the caffeine. If that
wasn't an issue, I'd drink a lot more.

Agalena

Old 10-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Lewis Perin

"Agalena" writes:

"Eric" wrote in message
om...
Hi Everyone,

DOes anyone here consider themselves a tea addict??? I myself have
gone into the upper limits of up to 14-16 teas in one day but I don't
often do that. I usually stay in between 2-8 teas in one day usually
max. Thats nothing compared to the late Dr. Samuel Johnson who drank
upwards of 40 cups a day !!! (http://www.boh.com.my/pl/pubdoc/2080)

What do find your consuming on a daily basis? Your max?

Yup. That's me. I don't think I've done more than 5 or 6 cups in a day,
and I don't do that often because I have to watch the caffeine. If that
wasn't an issue, I'd drink a lot more.

I usually drink 7 or more cups a day but rarely feel the caffeine
because those cups are from multiple steeps with no more than 3 setups
of leaves. The last time I felt a buzz was in one sitting when I
greedily went alone to a new gongfu teahouse that opened on the fringes
of New York's Chinatown; they pack a Yixing pot very aggressively and
I drank 6 steeps.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Old 11-10-2003, 06:45 AM
Agalena

"Lewis Perin" wrote in message
news
"Agalena" writes:

"Eric" wrote in message
[...]

By 5 or 6 cups, I actually meant 5 or 6 new sets of leaves with 2-3 steeps
each. That will wire me pretty tight. And if I'm under a lot of stress, I
need to cut back considerably. Sigh! I've developed more of a tolerance than
I used to have though.

Agalena

Old 11-10-2003, 06:53 AM
Tag! You're It, Sweetie!

LOL. I suppose I might be a tea addict. I have been accused of it,
even by my doctor. I don't keep track of how many pots, cups or mugs I
drink in a day. I have started buying my Scottish Breakfast by the
pound. I have a "tea emergency" kit in my purse. I don't always worry
about proper brewing anymore if I don't have the time. I just pour the
hot water over the tea in the T-sac or in the pot infuser or the teabag,
wait until it reaches the color I like it to be and drink it. I drink
several types of tea every day. My last two cups of tea before I go to
bed are usually Russian Caravan. LOL. Yeah, I might be an addict.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:30 PM
AK

In article ,
Tag! You're It, Sweetie! wrote:
LOL. I suppose I might be a tea addict. I have been accused of it,
even by my doctor. I don't keep track of how many pots, cups or mugs I
drink in a day. I have started buying my Scottish Breakfast by the
pound. I have a "tea emergency" kit in my purse. I don't always worry
about proper brewing anymore if I don't have the time. I just pour the
hot water over the tea in the T-sac or in the pot infuser or the teabag,
wait until it reaches the color I like it to be and drink it. I drink
several types of tea every day. My last two cups of tea before I go to
bed are usually Russian Caravan. LOL. Yeah, I might be an addict.

I usually drink 1/4th a cup before I leave work. Why so little? I'm
overly sensitive to caffeine on empty stomack. In the evening, I drink
one or two cups of fairly weak tea, or sometimes I don't drink tea at all.

My main addiction is drake's glazed apple pies, I eat anywhere from one
to three per day, usually all in one sitting. There's too much sugar in
them, three at once have a noticeable drugging effect. I'm addicted to
their taste, not to sugar, though.

I'm also a recovering book addict. I used to read all my spare time,
anything from Heinlein to Dostoevsky. It was bad enough to affect my
sleep, health, mood, etc.

addiction sucks in any guise.

-AK
Old 11-10-2003, 07:31 PM
Lawman

I am definitely a tea addict. I drink 12 to 16 12oz. mugs of tea
every day. Thus my average comes close to a gallon of tea per day.

When I am working at the computer or reading a book, I always
have a mug of tea close.

H. L. Law

Old 11-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Ripon

(Tag! You're It, Sweetie!) wrote in message ...
LOL. I suppose I might be a tea addict. I have been accused of it,
even by my doctor. I don't keep track of how many pots, cups or mugs I
drink in a day. I have started buying my Scottish Breakfast by the
pound. I have a "tea emergency" kit in my purse. I don't always worry
about proper brewing anymore if I don't have the time. I just pour the
hot water over the tea in the T-sac or in the pot infuser or the teabag,
wait until it reaches the color I like it to be and drink it. I drink
several types of tea every day. My last two cups of tea before I go to
bed are usually Russian Caravan. LOL. Yeah, I might be an addict.

Having many cups of tea doesn't make me feel I am an tea addict. I
always feel days are too short because I start drinking in the morning
and continue until I go to bed. I always maintain a stock of 13
different kinds of estate tea and 4 kinds of blend. In the morning
when I woke up, I always start with a strong buzz. I blend my own tea-
Keemun,Darjeeling,Lapsand Souchong and Bangladeshi strong CTC(A full
mug with milk and sugar).Then i drink Yunnan tea, after Yunnan
I drink little lighter Nepalese or Sikkim black tea, then feel for
another blend
I usally try irish blend, fresian blend or Pure Assam.By this time i
have my lunch and try some lapsang Souching with light crakers and
cheese. Then i try Keemun mao feng or Keemun Hao ya "A". Then I take
it easy with some Makaibari darjeeling(Thats my only estate I prefer)
after that its almost four or five p.m. I take a strong Bangladeshi
CTC tea with milk and suger. Then I come back home after work and have
a cup of wonderful blend with my wife-Keemun,Cylon,lapsang and
bangladeshi CTC. Then i drink some chinese black tea-Red peony,
Panyang Golden Tribute ,Sichuan black or something like this(By the
way, my little two and half years old daughter also share some sips
with me) Then I have my dinner and take some blend again depend on my
mood. Then little bit later I take some Japanese or Chinese green
tea.I am not attached with Oolong yeat thought I have three kinds in
my stock. I never count my cups neither follow any time frame. I just
follow my heart and drink. Am I a tea addict or a tea lover?

Ripon
(From Bangladesh)
Old 12-10-2003, 02:05 AM
McLemore

Default tea addicts (long response, part one)

Once upon a time, (Joseph Kubera) wrote:
Hi, everyone. My name is Joe, and I'm a tea-holic.

Following Joe's example, I'll go next.

My name is Martha, and I, too, am a tea-oholic.

My mother started me on the road to addiction. I don't blame her
for my problem,though, because I've known for some time that I
have this addiction and it is up to me to quit. I can, too; any
time I want to do so, I can quit cold-turkey...not a problem,
really.

Wait a moment...the kettle is whistling. I'll be back in a
second or two...just want to take it off the heat. Well, okay,
make that about 5 minutes. I've got my teapot waiting with some
Extra Fancy Formosa oolong in the infuser, so this will take more
than a few seconds.

I was drinking tea by the time I was 18-months old. I grew up in
the South (US) where summers can be so hot that milk will sour on
its way between the carton and a baby's bottle. Mother fed me
tea throughout my childhood, either iced or as cambric tea (with
crackers) when I was feeling poorly. When I was 8, or maybe 9,
she started letting me have a cup of grown-up tea with her in the
morning. (That's a cup of hot Lipton with sugar and just a
splash of milk.)

My addiction was in its early stages throughout childhood and
into my teen years, despite a lapse when I got sidetracked in
junior high by Coca-cola. This was in the days before canned
tea, when it wasn't cool to bring a thermos of tea to school.

When I was seventeen-almost-eighteen, though, my love (need) for
tea was taken to new heights--or dragged to new depths, depending
on your point of view. I had skipped school to go down to the
French Quarter, where I visited a fortune-teller. (She lived
around the corner, a few doors down and one flight up from where
Blaise Starr used to do her strip act.) This fateful day would
be my undoing as a tea addict, for it was the day I was
introduced to the good stuff. I remember it like it was only
yesterday, instead of nearly 40 years ago. I'll bet all of you
have had such a life-altering moment in your addiction that you
can recall with such clarity, haven't you?

The fortune-teller held court in a one-room-with-kitchenette
apartment which was tricked out in heavy velveteen drapes, beaded
lampshades, watered-silk on the walls and thick Persian rugs
underfoot. There were a couple of deep pillows on the floor, one
of them covered with what looked like tiger skin. The other one
was a tapestry-like material. She motioned for me to sit on the
daybed, in front of which was a tray set on low stacks of books.
She pulled up a chair from beside a marble-topped dresser and sat
across from me. She handed me a deck of cards and told me to
shuffle them while she made some tea for us.

I had been feeling a little spooked by the surroundings and the
intense way she looked at me, but when she said "tea" I knew the
afternoon would go well. I even believed my mother would never
know I had skipped school. I was wrong, on both counts.

Pardon me, the timer just buzzed. I have to go take care of my
tea. Back in a moment.

(c) 2003 Martha McLemore
Old 12-10-2003, 06:03 PM
Joseph Kubera

When I am working at the computer or reading a book, I always
have a mug of tea close.

This reminds me -- tea can be an effective measure of one's accomplishment.

I'm a pianist, and often take a cup or mug to the piano when I'm practicing. I
can tell how hard I've been working by how cool the tea has gotten when I take
the next sip.

Joe