Eric

Default tea addicts

Hi Everyone,

DOes anyone here consider themselves a tea addict??? I myself have
gone into the upper limits of up to 14-16 teas in one day but I don't
often do that. I usually stay in between 2-8 teas in one day usually
max. Thats nothing compared to the late Dr. Samuel Johnson who drank
upwards of 40 cups a day !!! (http://www.boh.com.my/pl/pubdoc/2080)

What do find your consuming on a daily basis? Your max?
Joseph Kubera

I will stand up and be counted.

Hi, everyone. My name is Joe, and I'm a tea-holic. [HI, JOE!]

I don't count my cups per day. Minimum 2 in the AM, 3 in the afternoon, but it
can often go beyond that.

Joe

Joseph Kubera wrote:
> I will stand up and be counted.
>
> Hi, everyone. My name is Joe, and I'm a tea-holic. [HI, JOE!]
>
> I don't count my cups per day. Minimum 2 in the AM, 3 in the afternoon, but it
> can often go beyond that.
>
> Joe

There is nothing wrong with that!

Frank

Derek

It was a dark and stormy night when Eric stepped out of the alley
onto "rec.food.drink.tea" and cried out:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> DOes anyone here consider themselves a tea addict??? I myself
> have gone into the upper limits of up to 14-16 teas in one day
> but I don't often do that. I usually stay in between 2-8 teas in
> one day usually max. Thats nothing compared to the late Dr.
> Samuel Johnson who drank upwards of 40 cups a day !!!
> (http://www.boh.com.my/pl/pubdoc/2080)
>
> What do find your consuming on a daily basis? Your max?

"Théaphiles of the world, steep!"

Guilty as charged. I keep upwards of 12 different types of tea in
the house. If I don't have a couple of cups in the morning, the day
is shot.

And I've ODed on tea, consuming so much that I got the shakes. But
it was soooooooooooo good.

Derek

--

It's not "free" speech when I have to pay for the privilege
of listening to a message that I don't want to hear.
Agalena

"Eric" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi Everyone,
>
> DOes anyone here consider themselves a tea addict??? I myself have
> gone into the upper limits of up to 14-16 teas in one day but I don't
> often do that. I usually stay in between 2-8 teas in one day usually
> max. Thats nothing compared to the late Dr. Samuel Johnson who drank
> upwards of 40 cups a day !!! (http://www.boh.com.my/pl/pubdoc/2080)
>
> What do find your consuming on a daily basis? Your max?

Yup. That's me. I don't think I've done more than 5 or 6 cups in a day,
and I don't do that often because I have to watch the caffeine. If that
wasn't an issue, I'd drink a lot more.

Agalena

Lewis Perin

"Agalena" > writes:

> "Eric" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > DOes anyone here consider themselves a tea addict??? I myself have
> > gone into the upper limits of up to 14-16 teas in one day but I don't
> > often do that. I usually stay in between 2-8 teas in one day usually
> > max. Thats nothing compared to the late Dr. Samuel Johnson who drank
> > upwards of 40 cups a day !!! (http://www.boh.com.my/pl/pubdoc/2080)
> >
> > What do find your consuming on a daily basis? Your max?

> Yup. That's me. I don't think I've done more than 5 or 6 cups in a day,
> and I don't do that often because I have to watch the caffeine. If that
> wasn't an issue, I'd drink a lot more.

I usually drink 7 or more cups a day but rarely feel the caffeine
because those cups are from multiple steeps with no more than 3 setups
of leaves. The last time I felt a buzz was in one sitting when I
greedily went alone to a new gongfu teahouse that opened on the fringes
of New York's Chinatown; they pack a Yixing pot very aggressively and
I drank 6 steeps.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Agalena

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> "Agalena" > writes:
>
> > "Eric" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Hi Everyone,
> > >
> > > DOes anyone here consider themselves a tea addict??? I myself have
> > > gone into the upper limits of up to 14-16 teas in one day but I don't
> > > often do that. I usually stay in between 2-8 teas in one day usually
> > > max. Thats nothing compared to the late Dr. Samuel Johnson who drank
> > > upwards of 40 cups a day !!! (http://www.boh.com.my/pl/pubdoc/2080)
> > >
> > > What do find your consuming on a daily basis? Your max?

> > Yup. That's me. I don't think I've done more than 5 or 6 cups in a

day,
> > and I don't do that often because I have to watch the caffeine. If that
> > wasn't an issue, I'd drink a lot more.

> I usually drink 7 or more cups a day but rarely feel the caffeine
> because those cups are from multiple steeps with no more than 3 setups
> of leaves. The last time I felt a buzz was in one sitting when I
> greedily went alone to a new gongfu teahouse that opened on the fringes
> of New York's Chinatown; they pack a Yixing pot very aggressively and
> I drank 6 steeps.

By 5 or 6 cups, I actually meant 5 or 6 new sets of leaves with 2-3 steeps
each. That will wire me pretty tight. And if I'm under a lot of stress, I
need to cut back considerably. Sigh! I've developed more of a tolerance than
I used to have though.

Agalena

Tag! You're It, Sweetie!

LOL. I suppose I might be a tea addict. I have been accused of it,
even by my doctor. I don't keep track of how many pots, cups or mugs I
drink in a day. I have started buying my Scottish Breakfast by the
pound. I have a "tea emergency" kit in my purse. I don't always worry
about proper brewing anymore if I don't have the time. I just pour the
hot water over the tea in the T-sac or in the pot infuser or the teabag,
wait until it reaches the color I like it to be and drink it. I drink
several types of tea every day. My last two cups of tea before I go to
bed are usually Russian Caravan. LOL. Yeah, I might be an addict.

AK

In article >,
Tag! You're It, Sweetie! wrote:
> LOL. I suppose I might be a tea addict. I have been accused of it,
> even by my doctor. I don't keep track of how many pots, cups or mugs I
> drink in a day. I have started buying my Scottish Breakfast by the
> pound. I have a "tea emergency" kit in my purse. I don't always worry
> about proper brewing anymore if I don't have the time. I just pour the
> hot water over the tea in the T-sac or in the pot infuser or the teabag,
> wait until it reaches the color I like it to be and drink it. I drink
> several types of tea every day. My last two cups of tea before I go to
> bed are usually Russian Caravan. LOL. Yeah, I might be an addict.

I usually drink 1/4th a cup before I leave work. Why so little? I'm
overly sensitive to caffeine on empty stomack. In the evening, I drink
one or two cups of fairly weak tea, or sometimes I don't drink tea at all.

My main addiction is drake's glazed apple pies, I eat anywhere from one
to three per day, usually all in one sitting. There's too much sugar in
them, three at once have a noticeable drugging effect. I'm addicted to
their taste, not to sugar, though.

I'm also a recovering book addict. I used to read all my spare time,
anything from Heinlein to Dostoevsky. It was bad enough to affect my
sleep, health, mood, etc.

addiction sucks in any guise.

-AK
Lawman

I am definitely a tea addict. I drink 12 to 16 12oz. mugs of tea
every day. Thus my average comes close to a gallon of tea per day.

When I am working at the computer or reading a book, I always
have a mug of tea close.

H. L. Law

Ripon

(Tag! You're It, Sweetie!) wrote in message >...
> LOL. I suppose I might be a tea addict. I have been accused of it,
> even by my doctor. I don't keep track of how many pots, cups or mugs I
> drink in a day. I have started buying my Scottish Breakfast by the
> pound. I have a "tea emergency" kit in my purse. I don't always worry
> about proper brewing anymore if I don't have the time. I just pour the
> hot water over the tea in the T-sac or in the pot infuser or the teabag,
> wait until it reaches the color I like it to be and drink it. I drink
> several types of tea every day. My last two cups of tea before I go to
> bed are usually Russian Caravan. LOL. Yeah, I might be an addict.

Having many cups of tea doesn't make me feel I am an tea addict. I
always feel days are too short because I start drinking in the morning
and continue until I go to bed. I always maintain a stock of 13
different kinds of estate tea and 4 kinds of blend. In the morning
when I woke up, I always start with a strong buzz. I blend my own tea-
Keemun,Darjeeling,Lapsand Souchong and Bangladeshi strong CTC(A full
mug with milk and sugar).Then i drink Yunnan tea, after Yunnan
I drink little lighter Nepalese or Sikkim black tea, then feel for
another blend
I usally try irish blend, fresian blend or Pure Assam.By this time i
have my lunch and try some lapsang Souching with light crakers and
cheese. Then i try Keemun mao feng or Keemun Hao ya "A". Then I take
it easy with some Makaibari darjeeling(Thats my only estate I prefer)
after that its almost four or five p.m. I take a strong Bangladeshi
CTC tea with milk and suger. Then I come back home after work and have
a cup of wonderful blend with my wife-Keemun,Cylon,lapsang and
bangladeshi CTC. Then i drink some chinese black tea-Red peony,
Panyang Golden Tribute ,Sichuan black or something like this(By the
way, my little two and half years old daughter also share some sips
with me) Then I have my dinner and take some blend again depend on my
mood. Then little bit later I take some Japanese or Chinese green
tea.I am not attached with Oolong yeat thought I have three kinds in
my stock. I never count my cups neither follow any time frame. I just
follow my heart and drink. Am I a tea addict or a tea lover?

Ripon
(From Bangladesh)
McLemore

Default tea addicts (long response, part one)

Once upon a time, (Joseph Kubera) wrote:
>Hi, everyone. My name is Joe, and I'm a tea-holic.

Following Joe's example, I'll go next.

My name is Martha, and I, too, am a tea-oholic.

My mother started me on the road to addiction. I don't blame her
for my problem,though, because I've known for some time that I
have this addiction and it is up to me to quit. I can, too; any
time I want to do so, I can quit cold-turkey...not a problem,
really.

Wait a moment...the kettle is whistling. I'll be back in a
second or two...just want to take it off the heat. Well, okay,
make that about 5 minutes. I've got my teapot waiting with some
Extra Fancy Formosa oolong in the infuser, so this will take more
than a few seconds.

I was drinking tea by the time I was 18-months old. I grew up in
the South (US) where summers can be so hot that milk will sour on
its way between the carton and a baby's bottle. Mother fed me
tea throughout my childhood, either iced or as cambric tea (with
crackers) when I was feeling poorly. When I was 8, or maybe 9,
she started letting me have a cup of grown-up tea with her in the
morning. (That's a cup of hot Lipton with sugar and just a
splash of milk.)

My addiction was in its early stages throughout childhood and
into my teen years, despite a lapse when I got sidetracked in
junior high by Coca-cola. This was in the days before canned
tea, when it wasn't cool to bring a thermos of tea to school.

When I was seventeen-almost-eighteen, though, my love (need) for
tea was taken to new heights--or dragged to new depths, depending
on your point of view. I had skipped school to go down to the
French Quarter, where I visited a fortune-teller. (She lived
around the corner, a few doors down and one flight up from where
Blaise Starr used to do her strip act.) This fateful day would
be my undoing as a tea addict, for it was the day I was
introduced to the good stuff. I remember it like it was only
yesterday, instead of nearly 40 years ago. I'll bet all of you
have had such a life-altering moment in your addiction that you
can recall with such clarity, haven't you?

The fortune-teller held court in a one-room-with-kitchenette
apartment which was tricked out in heavy velveteen drapes, beaded
lampshades, watered-silk on the walls and thick Persian rugs
underfoot. There were a couple of deep pillows on the floor, one
of them covered with what looked like tiger skin. The other one
was a tapestry-like material. She motioned for me to sit on the
daybed, in front of which was a tray set on low stacks of books.
She pulled up a chair from beside a marble-topped dresser and sat
across from me. She handed me a deck of cards and told me to
shuffle them while she made some tea for us.

I had been feeling a little spooked by the surroundings and the
intense way she looked at me, but when she said "tea" I knew the
afternoon would go well. I even believed my mother would never
know I had skipped school. I was wrong, on both counts.

Pardon me, the timer just buzzed. I have to go take care of my
tea. Back in a moment.

(c) 2003 Martha McLemore
Joseph Kubera

>When I am working at the computer or reading a book, I always
>have a mug of tea close.

This reminds me -- tea can be an effective measure of one's accomplishment.

I'm a pianist, and often take a cup or mug to the piano when I'm practicing. I
can tell how hard I've been working by how cool the tea has gotten when I take
the next sip.

Joe
Rick Chappell

> (Joseph Kubera) wrote in message >...
>> >When I am working at the computer or reading a book, I always
>> >have a mug of tea close.
>> >

>> This reminds me -- tea can be an effective measure of one's accomplishment.
>>
>> I'm a pianist, and often take a cup or mug to the piano when I'm practicing. I
>> can tell how hard I've been working by how cool the tea has gotten when I take
>> the next sip.
>>
>> Joe

Zephyrus > replied:
> I don't trust myself around porcelain tea cups when I'm at the piano. :-)

I get the feeling that Joe knows his way around a piano. Although in my
case, even though I am pretty familiar with a computer keyboard I have still
managed to slosh some tea onto it which caused a short which in turn caused
such a long string (of "g"s, if I remember) to be fed into my computer that
it brought it down. Impressed my sysadmins, who previously thought that it
was impossible to do in that manner.

But piano playing involves grace in a way that computer hacking does not
(or, based on personal experience, forbids)? His tea cup is probably safe.

Right now I just brewed a pot of Pouchong (Bao Zhong) from Taiwan's
redoubtable and blessed Wen Shan region, grown by a colleague's father's
friend. It's a year and a half old and fading, but still not bad. Ten
Ren sells something like it. It is kind of pricy (even when bought through
the grapevine, like I did). But, you get your money's worth with multiple
infusions.

Good health to you all. Winter just snickered at us in Madison. I look out
my window on the 7th floor and see a whirlwind of leaves.

Rick.

Joseph Kubera

Rick wrote,

>I get the feeling that Joe knows his way around a piano.

Well, when it comes to tea, the cup sits on a small table next to the piano. I
wouldn't dare put it ON the piano (having paid $6K to get the piano refinished
2 years ago).

Joe
McLemore

Default tea addicts (long response, part two)

Took a side trip to the Grand Canyon on my way out to the kitchen
to drink that pot of tea.

I've been told that the best way to make a long story short is
not to tell it in the first place. Seems I've passed that point
already, but I'll try to keep the rest of the story short.

The woman I visited all those years ago took a tin of tea from
one of the dresser drawers and spooned long wiry leaves into a
thin-walled cobalt-and-gold teapot. She added boiling water and
let the tea steep for about six minutes. The she poured the tea
into tall glasses, added big dollops of cherry jam and handed one
of the glasses to me. It was the first whole leaf tea I'd ever
had and was what started me down the path toward my tea
addiction. She called it caravan tea, so I'm guessing it was a
Russian caravan blend. It was so full of exotic (to me at the
time) flavors and wonderful aroma.

I've had all kinds of teas since then, including several
different Russian Caravan blends, but I've never been able to
duplicate the flavors of that first real tea.

Despite youthful forays into the underworld of soft drinks and
going the herbal tisane route during my hippy years, I've never
gotten over my love of teas...nor do I wish to, either.

(c)2003 Martha McLemore