ChipsChap

Default Babarians also drink tea

crymad > writes:

> Sure, load it up with all sorts of alien flavors. Top it with mini
> marshmallows and sprinkle on some crushed Butterfingers. Whatever
> floats your boat, right?

As a matter of fact, right....with a certain 'however'... as I see one of the
purposes of this newsgroup and many tea sites as education. Perhaps someone
may like their tea with crushed Butterfingers, but perhaps we might persuade
them to try other methods and variants. Perhaps then they will move to more
'orthodox' enjoyment.

Or perhaps not. In the end what you like IS what matters.
crymad

ChipsChap wrote:

> crymad > writes:
>
> > Sure, load it up with all sorts of alien flavors. Top it with mini
> > marshmallows and sprinkle on some crushed Butterfingers. Whatever
> > floats your boat, right?

> As a matter of fact, right....with a certain 'however'... as I see one of the
> purposes of this newsgroup and many tea sites as education. Perhaps someone
> may like their tea with crushed Butterfingers, but perhaps we might persuade
> them to try other methods and variants. Perhaps then they will move to more
> 'orthodox' enjoyment.
>
> Or perhaps not. In the end what you like IS what matters.

Well, this was a real shot out of the dark. Isn't this thread months
old? At any rate, I'm always up for some bickering. And so to that
end, I maintain that what one likes doesn't necessarily matter one
speck. That is, if it's a liking that's hopelessly uninformed. In
matters of taste, experience matters. The judgments of children -- or
those with the palates of children -- should be rightly held in
suspect. As should their happiness, their miserable happiness.

--crymad
Her Serene Highness

"ChipsChap" > wrote in message
> crymad > writes:
>
> > Sure, load it up with all sorts of alien flavors. Top it with mini
> > marshmallows and sprinkle on some crushed Butterfingers. Whatever
> > floats your boat, right?

> As a matter of fact, right....with a certain 'however'... as I see one of

the
> purposes of this newsgroup and many tea sites as education. Perhaps

someone
> may like their tea with crushed Butterfingers, but perhaps we might

persuade
> them to try other methods and variants. Perhaps then they will move to

more
> 'orthodox' enjoyment.
>
> Or perhaps not. In the end what you like IS what matters.

The only thing that matters is this- who is drinking YOUR tea? If someone
wants to put thing in their Darjeeling that I find silly or disgusting, I
may be upset for a second- but I don't have to drink it. It won't ruin my
life if someone puts honey in his Prince of Wales, or adds vanilla extract
to her Earl Grey. If someone wants to ruin green tea by boiling it, fine.
Unless that person can shove a cup of tea into my mouth through the
internet, I don't care. The only thing I care about is if someone insists
that doing one of these things is the only way to have good tea, and tries
to erroneously convince others that unnecessary additives or procedures
heighten the experiencewhen there are easier, simpler, tried and true
methods and flavors that have been proven to work.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I put rum in my pu-erh, and it was yummy.
It certainly was- all dark rum and hot water drinks are yummy when you have
the 'flu. Honey tastes good in Lipton's when I'm sick, too. To some people
these two additives might taste good even without a virus in their system,
which I don't get- but it won't be my stomach ingesting the stuff.

Joseph Kubera

Only homo barbarians drink tea.

Joe
Space Cowboy

A local tea vendor sells all the chocolate flavored tea he can get to
coffee drinkers. Put in a lot of milk and voila expresso. It's just
been a couple of years since I caved into chai thinking it was an
abomination. A local dive serves tapioca tea and I've been back more
than once. I think one of the great distinctions of tea over coffee
is the enchancement of sweetness for the taste buds. So marshmallows
and Butterfingers sounds fine with me. You couldn't do that with
coffee. The same local tea vendor while I was perusing his 50% sale
this weekend made a batch of biscoti and was the perfect compliment
with a pot of Sikkim. I too am guilty of traditional thinking that
tea stands alone as a cup but forget what it can add to other culinary
delights. However I still don't see how a nation could drink tea with
roasted brown rice.

Jim

crymad > wrote in message >...
> ChipsChap wrote:
> >
> > crymad > writes:
> >
> > > Sure, load it up with all sorts of alien flavors. Top it with mini
> > > marshmallows and sprinkle on some crushed Butterfingers. Whatever
> > > floats your boat, right?

> > As a matter of fact, right....with a certain 'however'... as I see one of the
> > purposes of this newsgroup and many tea sites as education. Perhaps someone
> > may like their tea with crushed Butterfingers, but perhaps we might persuade
> > them to try other methods and variants. Perhaps then they will move to more
> > 'orthodox' enjoyment.
> >
> > Or perhaps not. In the end what you like IS what matters.

> Well, this was a real shot out of the dark. Isn't this thread months
> old? At any rate, I'm always up for some bickering. And so to that
> end, I maintain that what one likes doesn't necessarily matter one
> speck. That is, if it's a liking that's hopelessly uninformed. In
> matters of taste, experience matters. The judgments of children -- or
> those with the palates of children -- should be rightly held in
> suspect. As should their happiness, their miserable happiness.
>
> --crymad

crymad

Space Cowboy wrote:

> I think one of the great distinctions of tea over coffee
> is the enchancement of sweetness for the taste buds. So marshmallows
> and Butterfingers sounds fine with me.

We'll know tea has arrived when Swiss Miss enters the market.

> However I still don't see how a nation could drink tea with
> roasted brown rice.

This stuff has always rubbed me the wrong way. Green tea enhanced with
the mustiness of grain.

--crymad
WNW

"crymad" > wrote in message

> Space Cowboy wrote:
>
> > I think one of the great distinctions of tea over coffee
> > is the enchancement of sweetness for the taste buds. So marshmallows
> > and Butterfingers sounds fine with me.

> We'll know tea has arrived when Swiss Miss enters the market.
>
> > However I still don't see how a nation could drink tea with
> > roasted brown rice.

> This stuff has always rubbed me the wrong way. Green tea enhanced with
> the mustiness of grain.
>
> --crymad

The sushi places in Vancouver would always give customers genmaicha. I
drank it, but I didn't like it very much.

N.

crymad

WNW wrote:

> "crymad" > wrote in message
> >

> > Space Cowboy wrote:
> >
> > > However I still don't see how a nation could drink tea with
> > > roasted brown rice.

> > This stuff has always rubbed me the wrong way. Green tea enhanced with
> > the mustiness of grain.
> >
> > --crymad

> The sushi places in Vancouver would always give customers genmaicha. I
> drank it, but I didn't like it very much.

Do they serve miso soup as a first course as well? This is a strange
custom in N. American sushi bars.

My first year or so in Japan, I avoided green tea altogether because
genmai-cha was all my wife seemed to drink. I thought that's what
Japanese tea was. Even now, she doesn't share the passion I have for
the better stuff, preferring instead Darjeeling or Oolong.

--crymad
WNW

"crymad" > wrote in message

> > The sushi places in Vancouver would always give customers genmaicha. I
> > drank it, but I didn't like it very much.

> Do they serve miso soup as a first course as well? This is a strange
> custom in N. American sushi bars.
>
> My first year or so in Japan, I avoided green tea altogether because
> genmai-cha was all my wife seemed to drink. I thought that's what
> Japanese tea was. Even now, she doesn't share the passion I have for
> the better stuff, preferring instead Darjeeling or Oolong.
>
> --crymad

As far as I recall, if you wanted miso soup you had to order it.

N.

ChipsChap

"Her Serene Highness" > writes:

> "ChipsChap" > wrote in message

> The only thing that matters is this- who is drinking YOUR tea? If someone
> wants to put thing in their Darjeeling that I find silly or disgusting, I
> may be upset for a second- but I don't have to drink it. It won't ruin my

The next poster completely misses this point, and your point, combined with my
point about providing education, is more than good enough for me, and, I would
expect, most other reasonable people.

We aren't talking about matters of life and death; and in the end, if someone
wants to have tea in a way that we find suspect, we don't have to follow
suit. For instance, I simply can't stand bagged tea. Does that mean that
millions of drinkers of bagged tea are 'wrong'? Of course not. Lots of
people put ketchup on eggs. While the very thought makes me shiver, they're
eating it, not me. Are they 'wrong'?

In matters of taste, there is simply no objective standard of right and
wrong.
crymad

ChipsChap wrote:

> In matters of taste, there is simply no objective standard of right and
> wrong.

I invite you to take this discussion out of the abstract and into the
here and now: You tell me what you like, and I'll tell you whether or
not it's crap. If you really believe what you say, I shan't hurt your
feelings.

--crymad
ChipsChap

crymad > writes:

> ChipsChap wrote:
>
>> In matters of taste, there is simply no objective standard of right and
>> wrong.

> I invite you to take this discussion out of the abstract and into the
> here and now: You tell me what you like, and I'll tell you whether or
> not it's crap. If you really believe what you say, I shan't hurt your
> feelings.

Believe me when I say that "consider the source" applies in this case.
crymad

ChipsChap wrote:

> crymad > writes:
>
> > ChipsChap wrote:
> >
> >> In matters of taste, there is simply no objective standard of right and
> >> wrong.

> > I invite you to take this discussion out of the abstract and into the
> > here and now: You tell me what you like, and I'll tell you whether or
> > not it's crap. If you really believe what you say, I shan't hurt your
> > feelings.

> Believe me when I say that "consider the source" applies in this case.

Consider this: In a group devoted to discussion on tea, Chip is guarded
in revealing what exactly he fancies. That's weaker than a cup at IHOP.

--crymad