Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Yixing teapot year made? Authenticity?

Hello all,
It's been quite a while since I've posted anything, but I had an
experience recently with a Chinese gentleman that spurred my interest
in Chinese tea and tea practices. So, I bought an Yixing teapot (I
think) from Tantalizing Teas in Florida. It seems to have
characteristics of an Yixing from what I've read. It is dark brown,
smooth to the touch, small volume of about 10 ounces, tight fitting
lid, good pouring, and it has Chinese characters on the bottom in a
square impression. It does have something that I didn't expect; a
rabbit impression of about 1/2-3/4 inch long inside the pot and on the
bottom directly under the lid as you look inside. I'm guessing this is
the year of production which would equate to possibly 1999. Can anyone
confirm that they are marked like this, and give some other advice
about authenticity of this pot? I've read quite a few old posts, but
I'd like to learn more. I found some good info on a website amazing-
green-tea.com, as well as others.
BTW, I have several types on green, oolong, and black china teas on
order from Teaspring, and picked up a fascinating book "The Chinese
Art of Tea".
Gregory
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I have two Yixing pots from the mid 90s authenticated by a museum
curator who signed the invoice which has the letters CCC1 1999 stamped
on the lid underneath. I never noticed that before. So what seems a
date is something else. I checked my other Yixing pots but they have
stamped caligraphy I cant read underneath the lid. I also cant read
the caligraphy stamped on the bottom of the pot. I dont know about
your source but the pots usually come in boxes indicating Yixing. You
shouldnt have paid much over $50 for mass market Yixing. 10oz is a
big pot. I think the more desirable around 3oz.

Jim

On Dec 2, 5:37 pm, swede > wrote:
> Hello all,
> It's been quite a while since I've posted anything, but I had an
> experience recently with a Chinese gentleman that spurred my interest
> in Chinese tea and tea practices. So, I bought an Yixing teapot (I
> think) from Tantalizing Teas in Florida. It seems to have
> characteristics of an Yixing from what I've read. It is dark brown,
> smooth to the touch, small volume of about 10 ounces, tight fitting
> lid, good pouring, and it has Chinese characters on the bottom in a
> square impression. It does have something that I didn't expect; a
> rabbit impression of about 1/2-3/4 inch long inside the pot and on the
> bottom directly under the lid as you look inside. I'm guessing this is
> the year of production which would equate to possibly 1999. Can anyone
> confirm that they are marked like this, and give some other advice
> about authenticity of this pot? I've read quite a few old posts, but
> I'd like to learn more. I found some good info on a website amazing-
> green-tea.com, as well as others.
> BTW, I have several types on green, oolong, and black china teas on
> order from Teaspring, and picked up a fascinating book "The Chinese
> Art of Tea".
> Gregory

New Yixing teapot - Help with characters? Dominic T. Tea 12 28-05-2006 09:09 AM
Can a Yixing teapot be used in a microwave? Daniel J. Morlan Tea 28 27-12-2005 10:51 AM
Yixing teapot question Dan S Tea 8 22-06-2005 04:41 AM
Using Yixing teapot all the day Benoit Tea 2 26-05-2005 11:34 PM
My first use of Yixing teapot Opother Tea 3 11-10-2003 04:38 PM