Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default The new tea smell

One of our Chinese knick knack shops carries a good selection of
teas. They are those ubiquitous Chinese only large cardboard
cylinders like the TenRen numbered series. These are the expensive
ones in the $75/300g range. Too much for me to take a chance. On my
last visit the store now offers 25g/$4 samplers of the various boxes.
That is cheaper than the retail price. They said people wouldnt buy
expensive samplers. I could only buy one sample of each tea box. I
bought a King TGY and three others. There is coding on the sampler if
I want to buy the box on the next visit. What stuck me immediately
was the consistency in leaf grade size and color. I would expect the
Golden oolong to be different than the TGY. They are all light nugget
leaf and take a while to infuse while floating on the surface. The
infused leaf across the samplers has a disappointing ragged look.
When leads me too my point. I think they are coated with a 'new leaf'
smell. Once I get through the new leaf smell which fades quickly I
can taste the underlying tea taste differences. This could be a
preservative but initially noticeable. Nothing in the samplers I
bought made me think it was worth a pricey purchase . Ill enjoy the
samplers but gone when gone.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Nov 14, 10:01*am, Space Cowboy > wrote:
> One of our Chinese knick knack shops carries a good selection of
> teas. *They are those ubiquitous Chinese only large cardboard
> cylinders like the TenRen numbered series. *These are the expensive
> ones in the $75/300g range. *Too much for me to take a chance. *On my
> last visit the store now offers 25g/$4 samplers of the various boxes.
> That is cheaper than the retail price. *They said people wouldnt buy
> expensive samplers. *I could only buy one sample of each tea box. *I
> bought a King TGY and three others. *There is coding on the sampler if
> I want to buy the box on the next visit. *What stuck me immediately
> was the consistency in leaf grade size and color. *I would expect the
> Golden oolong to be different than the TGY. *They are all light nugget
> leaf and take a while to infuse while floating on the surface. *The
> infused leaf across the samplers has a disappointing ragged look.
> When leads me too my point. *I think they are coated with a 'new leaf'
> smell. *Once I get through the new leaf smell which fades quickly I
> can taste the underlying tea taste differences. *This could be a
> preservative but initially noticeable. *Nothing in the samplers I
> bought made me think it was worth a pricey purchase . *Ill enjoy the
> samplers but gone when gone.
>
> Jim

I've yet to find a really expensive tea that I like better than some
of the cheapees- Java black, Sencha open bin, Assam fannings....
Toci
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

toci > writes:

> [...]
> I've yet to find a really expensive tea that I like better than some
> of the cheapees- Java black, Sencha open bin, Assam fannings....

Open bin sencha? You mean you really don't prefer fresh, vacuum
packed sencha?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
recent addition: Mang Jing
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Space Cowboy > wrote:
>When leads me too my point. I think they are coated with a 'new leaf'
>smell. Once I get through the new leaf smell which fades quickly I
>can taste the underlying tea taste differences. This could be a
>preservative but initially noticeable. Nothing in the samplers I

Is it by any chance a very slight wintergreen odor?
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

It could be wintergreen. For sake of argument Im going to say ever so
slightly lemony. Im not sure of the original packaging. Most likely
nitrogen pack or vacuum like Tennis balls. I brought this up because
it isnt the first time Ive noticed it. It seems to originate in
larger packaging.

Jim

Smell VVizard Sourdough 9 20-01-2006 05:06 AM
So Near and yet So Far...(I could almost SMELL the que from 20,000 feet) Chef Juke Barbecue 11 29-10-2005 11:52 PM
Smell Roy Boy Winemaking 6 07-10-2005 09:37 PM
what is that smell billb Winemaking 14 18-06-2004 11:24 PM
Gas Smell Chip Barbecue 9 01-12-2003 01:15 PM