FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   The new tea smell (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/178900-new-tea-smell.html)

Space Cowboy 14-11-2009 04:01 PM

The new tea smell

One of our Chinese knick knack shops carries a good selection of
teas. They are those ubiquitous Chinese only large cardboard
cylinders like the TenRen numbered series. These are the expensive
ones in the $75/300g range. Too much for me to take a chance. On my
last visit the store now offers 25g/$4 samplers of the various boxes.
That is cheaper than the retail price. They said people wouldnt buy
expensive samplers. I could only buy one sample of each tea box. I
bought a King TGY and three others. There is coding on the sampler if
I want to buy the box on the next visit. What stuck me immediately
was the consistency in leaf grade size and color. I would expect the
Golden oolong to be different than the TGY. They are all light nugget
leaf and take a while to infuse while floating on the surface. The
infused leaf across the samplers has a disappointing ragged look.
When leads me too my point. I think they are coated with a 'new leaf'
smell. Once I get through the new leaf smell which fades quickly I
can taste the underlying tea taste differences. This could be a
preservative but initially noticeable. Nothing in the samplers I
bought made me think it was worth a pricey purchase . Ill enjoy the
samplers but gone when gone.

Jim

toci 14-11-2009 08:22 PM

The new tea smell

On Nov 14, 10:01*am, Space Cowboy wrote:
[...]

I've yet to find a really expensive tea that I like better than some
of the cheapees- Java black, Sencha open bin, Assam fannings....
Toci

Lewis Perin 14-11-2009 09:16 PM

The new tea smell

toci writes:

[...]
I've yet to find a really expensive tea that I like better than some
of the cheapees- Java black, Sencha open bin, Assam fannings....

Open bin sencha? You mean you really don't prefer fresh, vacuum
packed sencha?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
recent addition: Mang Jing

Scott Dorsey 14-11-2009 09:50 PM

The new tea smell

Space Cowboy wrote:
When leads me too my point. I think they are coated with a 'new leaf'
smell. Once I get through the new leaf smell which fades quickly I
can taste the underlying tea taste differences. This could be a
preservative but initially noticeable. Nothing in the samplers I

Is it by any chance a very slight wintergreen odor?
--scott

Space Cowboy 14-11-2009 11:19 PM

The new tea smell

It could be wintergreen. For sake of argument Im going to say ever so
slightly lemony. Im not sure of the original packaging. Most likely
nitrogen pack or vacuum like Tennis balls. I brought this up because
it isnt the first time Ive noticed it. It seems to originate in
larger packaging.

Jim