Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Cup #1 v cup #3 v cup #5

As I continue testing various teas and brewing parameters, I have
noticed that some teas get better after a few cups and some get worse.
These are all from the same pot and usually consumed within a few
hours from a glass-lined thermos.

Can I conclude anything about the tea itself or the way I brewed it
from this information?
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Prof Wonmug > writes:

> As I continue testing various teas and brewing parameters, I have
> noticed that some teas get better after a few cups and some get worse.
> These are all from the same pot and usually consumed within a few
> hours from a glass-lined thermos.
>
> Can I conclude anything about the tea itself or the way I brewed it
> from this information?

Uh, maybe. Care to tell us your results?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Nov 5, 5:40*pm, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> Prof Wonmug > writes:
> > As I continue testing various teas and brewing parameters, I have
> > noticed that some teas get better after a few cups and some get worse.
> > These are all from the same pot and usually consumed within a few
> > hours from a glass-lined thermos.

> > Can I conclude anything about the tea itself or the way I brewed it
> > from this information?

> Uh, maybe. *Care to tell us your results?
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

I'm with Lew, you gotta give up something to get something.

I have heard a phrase from a tea drinking friend I highly regard that
roughly translates to "the leaves can smell bad after brewing as long
as the tea tastes great" and it is in reference to skilled brewing.
Extracting only the good qualities and flavors from the leaf and
leaving behind the "bad".

- Dominic
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

As a general rule the gongfu method is the only claim made by some
where subsequent cups are better. Im of the Engllish school where the
first cup is the best. Anything else is leftovers but I wouldnt say
better. Drinking from the same pot spread out over hours depends more
on biorythms than tastebuds. So name the tea and how you brewed it
that makes you think it tastes better.

Jim

On Nov 5, 2:51 pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> As I continue testing various teas and brewing parameters, I have
> noticed that some teas get better after a few cups and some get worse.
> These are all from the same pot and usually consumed within a few
> hours from a glass-lined thermos.
>
> Can I conclude anything about the tea itself or the way I brewed it
> from this information?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 05 Nov 2009 17:40:19 -0500, Lewis Perin > wrote:

>Prof Wonmug > writes:
>
>> As I continue testing various teas and brewing parameters, I have
>> noticed that some teas get better after a few cups and some get worse.
>> These are all from the same pot and usually consumed within a few
>> hours from a glass-lined thermos.
>>
>> Can I conclude anything about the tea itself or the way I brewed it
>> from this information?

>Uh, maybe. Care to tell us your results?

I was hoping to get comments and opinions that were not influenced by
my "findings". A good researcher never contaminates the data
collection process by interjecting his own biases.

I would, of course, disclose any "results" for the benefit of those
who find such endeavors useful and as target practice for others. ;-)

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Prof Wonmug > writes:

> On 05 Nov 2009 17:40:19 -0500, Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> >Prof Wonmug > writes:
> >
> >> As I continue testing various teas and brewing parameters, I have
> >> noticed that some teas get better after a few cups and some get worse.
> >> These are all from the same pot and usually consumed within a few
> >> hours from a glass-lined thermos.
> >>
> >> Can I conclude anything about the tea itself or the way I brewed it
> >> from this information?

> >Uh, maybe. Care to tell us your results?

> I was hoping to get comments and opinions that were not influenced by
> my "findings". A good researcher never contaminates the data
> collection process by interjecting his own biases.

I asked for results, not biases.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 06 Nov 2009 12:18:37 -0500, Lewis Perin > wrote:

>Prof Wonmug > writes:

>> >Uh, maybe. Care to tell us your results?

>> I was hoping to get comments and opinions that were not influenced by
>> my "findings". A good researcher never contaminates the data
>> collection process by interjecting his own biases.

>I asked for results, not biases.

Isn't it the general opinion around here that tea is a completely
subjective experience? If so, my "results" would be subjective and
inherently biased. No?
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Prof Wonmug > writes:

> On 06 Nov 2009 12:18:37 -0500, Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> >Prof Wonmug > writes:

> >> I was hoping to get comments and opinions that were not influenced by
> >> my "findings". A good researcher never contaminates the data
> >> collection process by interjecting his own biases.

> >I asked for results, not biases.

> Isn't it the general opinion around here that tea is a completely
> subjective experience?

Completely? No.

> If so, my "results" would be subjective and inherently biased. No?

This reminds me of dorm room conversations from long ago. I seem to
remember that they bored me then, but I could be wrong about that:
subjectivity, you know...

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Nov 6, 2:52*pm, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> Prof Wonmug > writes:

> > >I asked for results, not biases.

> > Isn't it the general opinion around here that tea is a completely
> > subjective experience?

> Completely? *No.
>
> > If so, my "results" would be subjective and inherently biased. No?

> This reminds me of dorm room conversations from long ago. *I seem to
> remember that they bored me then, but I could be wrong about that:
> subjectivity, you know...
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

I'm just glad that all the exasperation I've suffered wasn't isolated
to me. Is disagree-ability just fun for some folks? We're a group of
people who like tea, a lot, to the point that we've all got some sort
of disorder about it... how that can turn into anything but maybe a
spirited/passionate debate at times is beyond me. It's just freakin
tea. And most of us here just practice a sort of mental masturbation
because we already know our own likes/dislikes and those of everyone
else here for the most part. I enjoy helping others along when they
hit a confusing or confounding spot, and occasionally I glean a tip or
two or a new thought or type of tea which is the ever-so-slight
reward. How it becomes so hard at times could be a study of its own.
Why I continue to do it to myself is another topic for study.

- Dominic
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Ive been ready to throw in the towel many times myself.

Jim

On Nov 6, 1:36 pm, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2:52 pm, Lewis Perin > wrote:

....You can lead a horse to water ...
> Why I continue to do it to myself is another topic for study.
>
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Nov 6, 2:36*pm, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2:52*pm, Lewis Perin > wrote:
>

> > Prof Wonmug > writes:

> > > Isn't it the general opinion around here that tea is a completely
> > > subjective experience?

> > Completely? *No.

> > > If so, my "results" would be subjective and inherently biased. No?

> > This reminds me of dorm room conversations from long ago. *I seem to
> > remember that they bored me then, but I could be wrong about that:
> > subjectivity, you know...

> > /Lew
> > ---
> > Lew Perin /

> I'm just glad that all the exasperation I've suffered wasn't isolated
> to me. Is disagree-ability just fun for some folks? We're a group of
> people who like tea, a lot, to the point that we've all got some sort
> of disorder about it... how that can turn into anything but maybe a
> spirited/passionate debate at times is beyond me. It's just freakin
> tea. And most of us here just practice a sort of mental masturbation
> because we already know our own likes/dislikes and those of everyone
> else here for the most part. I enjoy helping others along when they
> hit a confusing or confounding spot, and occasionally I glean a tip or
> two or a new thought or type of tea which is the ever-so-slight
> reward. How it becomes so hard at times could be a study of its own.
> Why I continue to do it to myself is another topic for study.
>
> - Dominic- Hide quoted text -

Dominic- I've always enjoyed your comments even if I haven't had a
response. You're on task and I fail to see how your entries are
controversial. Please don't go away. Toci
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Nov 6, 5:32*pm, Space Cowboy > wrote:
> Ive been ready to throw in the towel many times myself.
>
> Jim
>
> On Nov 6, 1:36 pm, "Dominic T." > wrote:> On Nov 6, 2:52 pm, Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> ...You can lead a horse to water ...
>

> > Why I continue to do it to myself is another topic for study.

> > - Dominic- Hide quoted text -

One can come less often without throwing in the towel. What you say
is relevant. Toci
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Ignore the posting style attack of your too many Is, Lews snippets, or
my sometimes acrid posts. Its on par with spelling and grammar
flaming. It is nothing more than Kill The Messenger. They win if you
go away.

Jim

PS I was off this group for six months when my computer crashed.
Nobody even mentioned I was gone. So much for my influence.

On Nov 6, 7:16 pm, "Dominic T." > wrote:

> Well, consider it done. If I am the problem here, I don't want to
> continue it. I have tried to do my best to help folks. It is a shell
> of what it once was, I don't personally believe it was my doing, but
> regardless of the true reason I'd love to see if it just dies off
> completely or flourishes once I walk away.
>
> Peace,
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Well, off the record, I tend to brew in a one-cup brewing basket, and I agree
that, using this method, some teas improve with repeated steeps and some do
not.

It doesn't seem to have any pattern. The Rohini Enigma seems to be better on
the second steep than the first, and a lot of the better greens seem to be
that way too. No clue why.
--scott

Member

For what it's worth, I think that it really depends on what type of tea you're talking about.

With Black tea, I only steep once because subsequent steepings lose so much of the flavor.

Just the opposite is true with high mountain oolongs, though, which are rolled into tight balls during processing. During the first steeping, the leaves don't unfurl completely, and you have to steep the tea a lot longer to get a full brew... and it ends up tasting a little more earthy, and sometimes a bit more bitter.

On the second steeping, though, the leaves are unfurled and there's more surface area in contact with the water, and the resulting brew is noticeably more fragrant and sweet.

I also find that the first steeping of most green teas is a little bit more vegetal in flavor, or grassy, depending on the tea, and the second steeping is a little better... but it just seems to me to get weeker after that.

Just my two cents

- Matthew

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2009-11-07, george tasman > wrote:
> Space C hasn't provided a useful or interesting input in the month
> I've been logging on. He's a dogmatic blowhard.

So killfile the folks who you find annoying. You will find that group is
considerably less annoying that way.

But I agree that there hasn't been much in the way of interesting or
useful discussion on this newsgroup for quite a while. Most of the
people who know what they're talking about seem to have moved to
teachat, the Livejournal puerh_tea community, or elsewhere.

--
Multi-lingual forum for Chinese and Japanese tea and teawa
http://teadrunk.org/

Member

I just took a minute to re-read the original post in this thread, and realized of course that I had completely read it wrong the first time through. Disregard my previous response.

Hell of a community here Looks like I walked in on the middle of something...

- Matt
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Will Yardley > writes:

> On 2009-11-07, george tasman > wrote:
> > Space C hasn't provided a useful or interesting input in the month
> > I've been logging on. He's a dogmatic blowhard.

> So killfile the folks who you find annoying. You will find that group is
> considerably less annoying that way.
>
> But I agree that there hasn't been much in the way of interesting or
> useful discussion on this newsgroup for quite a while. Most of the
> people who know what they're talking about seem to have moved to
> teachat, the Livejournal puerh_tea community, or elsewhere.

The LJ Pu'er community's been torpid lately. This happens a lot with
Net communities, and not only those concerned with tea, of course.
It's a little like slash-and-burn agriculture; one difference is that
the namespace of Net communities, unlike land, is a limitless
resource, so people feel no need to return after a few years. Another
difference, especially with RSS, is that you don't have to choose one
plot to till.

If I were a sociology grad student, I might try to study how people
migrate in cyberspace.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

We are part of Usenet with a Charter and have been around since 1995.
Basically we are on the honor system since we are not moderated. If
you want to learn about tea then this is the place. If you want to
contribute what you know that is very much welcomed. I think the real
knock about the group is we could use some new blood. I am aware
there are new perspectives about tea that seem to go beyond the
traditional cuppa. Im almost willing to cave in to the scented teas
and over the top brewing methods. If people want to drink tea because
it is medicated or spiritual that is fine with me. You brew enough
cups simplicity becomes spiritual and it didnt cost you anything extra
if you live a day longer. Maybe the basics are passe. Some think it
is better somewhere else talking about tea. It isnt. So welcome.
Every two cents counts in this economy.

Jim

....any response to a tea post is better than nothing...