Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP

I bought a 125g sample of Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP (TA40) from Upton
tea.

http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/ite...rom=search.asp

I can't seem to find any good brewing parameters.

My 1st pot was at the vendor recs: 2.25g/cup, 212°, 5:00. This was
like battery acid.

Next I tried have that strength for 3 minutes. This was better, but
still too strong.

Next I tried 1.0 g/cup for 2 minutes. This was too weak.

Next I tried 1.5 g/cup for 1 minute. This was the best so far, but
still not great (for me). It had an odd taste and after taste that I
can't quite describe. A little smokey, but not exactly. It also left a
funny feeling in my stomach.

My latest test was 3.0 g/cup for just 30 seconds. I've had good luck
with double or triple strength for very short steeps, but this was
very bitter -- as bad as the first pot.

I am about to conclude that this is just not a tea I like. But, before
I shelve it, can anyone suggest other parameters I might try?

Thanks
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Prof Wonmug > writes:

> I bought a 125g sample of Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP (TA40) from Upton
> tea.

Well, that's your problem right there! When are you going to learn to
stop measuring and just go with the flow?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

> http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/ite...rom=search.asp
>
> I can't seem to find any good brewing parameters.
> [...]
>
> Next I tried 1.5 g/cup for 1 minute. This was the best so far, but
> still not great (for me). It had an odd taste and after taste that I
> can't quite describe. A little smokey, but not exactly. It also left a
> funny feeling in my stomach.

Maybe this really is a bad tea. Off flavors make me suspicious no
matter what the parameters are.

This is probably a long shot, but before you ditch this tea, maybe you
should try a lower temperature?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 28 Sep 2009 16:19:10 -0400, Lewis Perin > wrote:

>Prof Wonmug > writes:
>
>> I bought a 125g sample of Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP (TA40) from Upton
>> tea.

>Well, that's your problem right there! When are you going to learn to
>stop measuring and just go with the flow?

I've tried, but I just can't help collecting data. I must have a data
gene.

>(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
>
>> http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/ite...rom=search.asp
>>
>> I can't seem to find any good brewing parameters.
>> [...]
>>
>> Next I tried 1.5 g/cup for 1 minute. This was the best so far, but
>> still not great (for me). It had an odd taste and after taste that I
>> can't quite describe. A little smokey, but not exactly. It also left a
>> funny feeling in my stomach.

>Maybe this really is a bad tea. Off flavors make me suspicious no
>matter what the parameters are.

AFAICT, it's not an "off" flavor in the sense of being bad or spoiled.
Assams have strong flavors. I've tried 2-3 and didn't really like any
of them, but someone recommended this one, so I thought I'd try it.

>This is probably a long shot, but before you ditch this tea, maybe you
>should try a lower temperature?

That was going to be my next trial. 190? 180? 160?
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Prof Wonmug > writes:

> On 28 Sep 2009 16:19:10 -0400, Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> >Prof Wonmug > writes:
> >
> >> I bought a 125g sample of Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP (TA40) from Upton
> >> tea.

> >Well, that's your problem right there! When are you going to learn to
> >stop measuring and just go with the flow?

> I've tried, but I just can't help collecting data. I must have a data
> gene.
>
> >(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
> >
> >> http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/ite...rom=search.asp
> >>
> >> I can't seem to find any good brewing parameters.
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Next I tried 1.5 g/cup for 1 minute. This was the best so far, but
> >> still not great (for me). It had an odd taste and after taste that I
> >> can't quite describe. A little smokey, but not exactly. It also left a
> >> funny feeling in my stomach.

> >Maybe this really is a bad tea. Off flavors make me suspicious no
> >matter what the parameters are.

> AFAICT, it's not an "off" flavor in the sense of being bad or spoiled.
> Assams have strong flavors. I've tried 2-3 and didn't really like any
> of them, but someone recommended this one, so I thought I'd try it.
>
> >This is probably a long shot, but before you ditch this tea, maybe you
> >should try a lower temperature?

> That was going to be my next trial. 190? 180? 160?

I would start with maybe 195 before going lower.

And remember, if you still can't stand drinking it by itself, you can
make chai with it.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 28, 2:47*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> I bought a 125g sample of Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP (TA40) from Upton
> tea.
>
> http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/ite...rom=search.asp
>
> I can't seem to find any good brewing parameters.
>
> My 1st pot was at the vendor recs: 2.25g/cup, 212°, 5:00. This was
> like battery acid.
>
> Next I tried have that strength for 3 minutes. This was better, but
> still too strong.
>
> Next I tried 1.0 g/cup for 2 minutes. This was too weak.
>
> Next I tried 1.5 g/cup for 1 minute. This was the best so far, but
> still not great (for me). It had an odd taste and after taste that I
> can't quite describe. A little smokey, but not exactly. It also left a
> funny feeling in my stomach.
>
> My latest test was 3.0 g/cup for just 30 seconds. I've had good luck
> with double or triple strength for very short steeps, but this was
> very bitter -- as bad as the first pot.
>
> I am about to conclude that this is just not a tea I like. But, before
> I shelve it, can anyone suggest other parameters I might try?
>
> Thanks

With a strong Assam or African tea I've found 212degrees for 90seconds
works. Then make a second cup with the same "leaf" -maybe "grounds"
would be a better word- aand have a second strong cup later in the
morning. Toci

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

It is not a given you will like every tea you drink. I personally
find the ones I dont like more interesting. I consider them like a
kind of Rorschach test. In a sense there is nothing nice about
Assam. It can be argued Assam is the most primordial tea on earth.
The more it hurts the better. I notice a similar reaction when I
drink sheng which is just a stones throw away in China. When you find
a tea you really like then everything else will fall in place.

Jim

PS The Arabic stores sell Assam in paper like bags. When it has sits
awhile it becomes stained with something from the inside. Almost like
a greasy look.

On Sep 28, 2:30 pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> AFAICT, it's not an "off" flavor in the sense of being bad or spoiled.
> Assams have strong flavors. I've tried 2-3 and didn't really like any
> of them, but someone recommended this one, so I thought I'd try it.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:31:54 -0700 (PDT), toci >
wrote:

>On Sep 28, 2:47*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
>> I bought a 125g sample of Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP (TA40) from Upton
>> tea.
>>
>> http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/ite...rom=search.asp
>>
>> I can't seem to find any good brewing parameters.
>>
>> My 1st pot was at the vendor recs: 2.25g/cup, 212°, 5:00. This was
>> like battery acid.
>>
>> Next I tried have that strength for 3 minutes. This was better, but
>> still too strong.
>>
>> Next I tried 1.0 g/cup for 2 minutes. This was too weak.
>>
>> Next I tried 1.5 g/cup for 1 minute. This was the best so far, but
>> still not great (for me). It had an odd taste and after taste that I
>> can't quite describe. A little smokey, but not exactly. It also left a
>> funny feeling in my stomach.
>>
>> My latest test was 3.0 g/cup for just 30 seconds. I've had good luck
>> with double or triple strength for very short steeps, but this was
>> very bitter -- as bad as the first pot.
>>
>> I am about to conclude that this is just not a tea I like. But, before
>> I shelve it, can anyone suggest other parameters I might try?
>>
>> Thanks

>With a strong Assam or African tea I've found 212degrees for 90seconds
>works. Then make a second cup with the same "leaf" -maybe "grounds"
>would be a better word- aand have a second strong cup later in the
>morning. Toci

Do you usually brew the second pot using the same parameters?

Someone suggested increasing the time by 15-30 seconds for 2nd and 3rd
pots for green teas.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 29, 2:34*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:31:54 -0700 (PDT), toci >
> wrote:
>

> >On Sep 28, 2:47*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> >> I bought a 125g sample of Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP (TA40) from Upton
> >> tea.

> >>http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/ite...rom=search.asp

> >> I can't seem to find any good brewing parameters.

> >> My 1st pot was at the vendor recs: 2.25g/cup, 212°, 5:00. This was
> >> like battery acid.

> >> Next I tried have that strength for 3 minutes. This was better, but
> >> still too strong.

> >> Next I tried 1.0 g/cup for 2 minutes. This was too weak.

> >> Next I tried 1.5 g/cup for 1 minute. This was the best so far, but
> >> still not great (for me). It had an odd taste and after taste that I
> >> can't quite describe. A little smokey, but not exactly. It also left a
> >> funny feeling in my stomach.

> >> My latest test was 3.0 g/cup for just 30 seconds. I've had good luck
> >> with double or triple strength for very short steeps, but this was
> >> very bitter -- as bad as the first pot.

> >> I am about to conclude that this is just not a tea I like. But, before
> >> I shelve it, can anyone suggest other parameters I might try?

> >> Thanks

> >With a strong Assam or African tea I've found 212degrees for 90seconds
> >works. *Then make a second cup with the same "leaf" -maybe "grounds"
> >would be a better word- *aand have a second strong cup later in the
> >morning. * * Toci

> Do you usually brew the second pot using the same parameters?
>
> Someone suggested increasing the time by 15-30 seconds for 2nd and 3rd
> pots for green teas.- Hide quoted text -

Once I've gotten the first mug out after 90 seconds, the second mug
can brew all morning or until I'm ready for it. I would suspect the
second mug needs at least five minutes, though. Toci
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 29, 5:27*pm, toci > wrote:
> On Sep 29, 2:34*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:31:54 -0700 (PDT), toci >
> > wrote:

> > >With a strong Assam or African tea I've found 212degrees for 90seconds
> > >works. *Then make a second cup with the same "leaf" -maybe "grounds"
> > >would be a better word- *aand have a second strong cup later in the
> > >morning. * * Toci

> > Do you usually brew the second pot using the same parameters?

> > Someone suggested increasing the time by 15-30 seconds for 2nd and 3rd
> > pots for green teas.- Hide quoted text -

> Once I've gotten the first mug out after 90 seconds, the second mug
> can brew all morning or until I'm ready for it. *I would suspect the
> second mug needs at least five minutes, though. * * Toci

And not being snarky, but this is exactly what I was trying to get
across... parameters aren't needed. "all morning" or "15 breaths"
don't need quantified, and there is a huge range of perfectly
acceptable values. I'm an IT/tech./science guy too, I can whip up an
algorithm for a lot of tasks... tea just doesn't need it.

My suggestion with this particular Assam is to *stop*. Pick up two
more Assams from two different vendors preferably and go through the
same brewings you have done with this one. You are going to find some
things out. A) you don't care for Assams B) you like one over the
others, and then figure out why (better and along the same lines as
numbers) C) You realize you actually like something particular in that
first one or even that you prefer it after all D) you put them all
away, move on to some new tea and then in a year when you pull them
back out you realize your palate has changed and you love them (or
still hate them).

We're all here to enjoy tea. We all enjoy it differently. As much as
you think I may have been wrong, you'll find that it's not about being
"right" or "wrong" and that there is no perfect cup of tea or perfect
setting or parameter that can be quantified.

- Dominic
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 29, 12:47*am, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> I bought a 125g sample of Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP (TA40) from Upton
> tea.
>
> http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/ite...rom=search.asp
>
> I can't seem to find any good brewing parameters.
>
> My 1st pot was at the vendor recs: 2.25g/cup, 212°, 5:00. This was
> like battery acid.
>
> Next I tried have that strength for 3 minutes. This was better, but
> still too strong.
>
> Next I tried 1.0 g/cup for 2 minutes. This was too weak.
>
> Next I tried 1.5 g/cup for 1 minute. This was the best so far, but
> still not great (for me). It had an odd taste and after taste that I
> can't quite describe. A little smokey, but not exactly. It also left a
> funny feeling in my stomach.
>
> My latest test was 3.0 g/cup for just 30 seconds. I've had good luck
> with double or triple strength for very short steeps, but this was
> very bitter -- as bad as the first pot.
>
> I am about to conclude that this is just not a tea I like. But, before
> I shelve it, can anyone suggest other parameters I might try?
>
> Thanks

reduce the temperature and steeping time.. steep it short and sweet
like 20 to 25 secs at moderate temp... OR

another option - use the traditional method - 1.75 or 2.0 g for 3
minutes - water below boiling temp. ... this is a standard we use for
testing all black teas.

GFOP is normally a oversize tea so it tends to give some
problems...

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Ankit Lochan > writes:

> On Sep 29, 12:47Â*am, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> > I bought a 125g sample of Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP (TA40) from Upton
> > tea.
> >
> > http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/ite...rom=search.asp
> >
> > I can't seem to find any good brewing parameters.
> >[...]

> GFOP is normally a oversize tea so it tends to give some
> problems...

Oversize? Do you mean leaves not so close to the tip? And what
problems do you expect from a tea like this?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 00:14:43 -0700 (PDT), Ankit Lochan
> wrote:

>On Sep 29, 12:47*am, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
>> I bought a 125g sample of Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP (TA40) from Upton
>> tea.
>>
>> http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/ite...rom=search.asp
>>
>> I can't seem to find any good brewing parameters.
>>
>> My 1st pot was at the vendor recs: 2.25g/cup, 212°, 5:00. This was
>> like battery acid.
>>
>> Next I tried have that strength for 3 minutes. This was better, but
>> still too strong.
>>
>> Next I tried 1.0 g/cup for 2 minutes. This was too weak.
>>
>> Next I tried 1.5 g/cup for 1 minute. This was the best so far, but
>> still not great (for me). It had an odd taste and after taste that I
>> can't quite describe. A little smokey, but not exactly. It also left a
>> funny feeling in my stomach.
>>
>> My latest test was 3.0 g/cup for just 30 seconds. I've had good luck
>> with double or triple strength for very short steeps, but this was
>> very bitter -- as bad as the first pot.
>>
>> I am about to conclude that this is just not a tea I like. But, before
>> I shelve it, can anyone suggest other parameters I might try?
>>
>> Thanks

>reduce the temperature and steeping time.. steep it short and sweet
>like 20 to 25 secs at moderate temp... OR

A moderate temp is 190?

>another option - use the traditional method - 1.75 or 2.0 g for 3
>minutes - water below boiling temp. ... this is a standard we use for
>testing all black teas.

I'll add that to my list of test parameters.

>GFOP is normally a oversize tea so it tends to give some
>problems...

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 30, 9:11*am, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> Ankit Lochan > writes:
> > On Sep 29, 12:47*am, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> > > I bought a 125g sample of Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP (TA40) from Upton
> > > tea.

> > >http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/ite...rom=search.asp

> > > I can't seem to find any good brewing parameters.
> > >[...]

> > GFOP is normally a oversize tea so it tends to give some
> > problems...

> Oversize? *Do you mean leaves not so close to the tip? *And what
> problems do you expect from a tea like this?
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Mr Lochlan.....

Great to see you back on this group. It will be valuable to have your
expertise on black teas, which don't get much play.

I've been reasonably pleased with the Assam I buy but it's only so-so.
Nilgiri and most recent Darjeelings seem a little flat. Do small leaf
blacks provide less harshness and more tippy flavors? If so, any
recommendations? Are there any interesting developments in
Darjeelings, including your own? I really would love to find a full,
smooth and lively Indian black but the second flush estate teas I used
to find so good seem a little tired this year.

I've also enjoyed Guaransee but have only limited knowledge of
Nepalese "Darjeelings." Are there hidden treasures to be found?

Again, welcome back.

George
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 30, 6:11*pm, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> Ankit Lochan > writes:
> > On Sep 29, 12:47*am, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> > > I bought a 125g sample of Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP (TA40) from Upton
> > > tea.

> > >http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/ite...rom=search.asp

> > > I can't seem to find any good brewing parameters.
> > >[...]

> > GFOP is normally a oversize tea so it tends to give some
> > problems...

> Oversize? *Do you mean leaves not so close to the tip? *And what
> problems do you expect from a tea like this?
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Oversize meaning it iss larger than the standard whole leaf that we
take into consideration.. The perfect size is supposed to be SFTGFOP1
in darjeeling and STGFOP 1 in assam - this is supposedly the bud and
the first leaf... now GFOP is the 2nd and the third leaf - hence being
bigger in size than the normal leaf grade. this is also the reason why
it is cheaper than the normal leaf grades and also harsh and strong in
taste. the taste will always be stronger and not as good as the
perfect leaf grades... hope this helps answering your queries..
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 30, 6:34*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 00:14:43 -0700 (PDT), Ankit Lochan
>

> > wrote:
> >On Sep 29, 12:47*am, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> >> I bought a 125g sample of Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP (TA40) from Upton
> >> tea.

> >>http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/ite...rom=search.asp

> >> I can't seem to find any good brewing parameters.

> >> My 1st pot was at the vendor recs: 2.25g/cup, 212°, 5:00. This was
> >> like battery acid.

> >> Next I tried have that strength for 3 minutes. This was better, but
> >> still too strong.

> >> Next I tried 1.0 g/cup for 2 minutes. This was too weak.

> >> Next I tried 1.5 g/cup for 1 minute. This was the best so far, but
> >> still not great (for me). It had an odd taste and after taste that I
> >> can't quite describe. A little smokey, but not exactly. It also left a
> >> funny feeling in my stomach.

> >> My latest test was 3.0 g/cup for just 30 seconds. I've had good luck
> >> with double or triple strength for very short steeps, but this was
> >> very bitter -- as bad as the first pot.

> >> I am about to conclude that this is just not a tea I like. But, before
> >> I shelve it, can anyone suggest other parameters I might try?

> >> Thanks

> >reduce the temperature and steeping time.. steep it short and sweet
> >like 20 to 25 secs at moderate temp... *OR

> A moderate temp is 190?
>
> >another option - use the traditional method - 1.75 or 2.0 g for 3
> >minutes - water below boiling temp. ... this is a standard we use for
> >testing all black teas.

> I'll add that to my list of test parameters.
>

> >GFOP is normally a oversize tea so it tends to give some
> >problems... - Hide quoted text -

yes 190 to 195 is perfect - it does not bruise the tea... if you wash
your black teas like the chinese greens they will be less astringent
and you can have a smooth cup for grades like GFOP..

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 1, 4:22*am, george tasman > wrote:
> On Sep 30, 9:11*am, Lewis Perin > wrote:
>

> > Ankit Lochan > writes:

> > > GFOP is normally a oversize tea so it tends to give some
> > > problems...

> > Oversize? *Do you mean leaves not so close to the tip? *And what
> > problems do you expect from a tea like this?

> > /Lew
> > ---
> > Lew Perin /

> Mr Lochlan.....
>
> Great to see you back on this group. It will be valuable to have your
> expertise on black teas, which don't get much play.
>
> I've been reasonably pleased with the Assam I buy but it's only so-so.
> Nilgiri and most recent Darjeelings seem a little flat. Do small leaf
> blacks provide less harshness and more tippy flavors? If so, any
> recommendations? Are there any interesting developments in
> Darjeelings, including your own? I really would love to find a full,
> smooth and lively Indian black but the second flush estate teas I used
> to find so good seem a little tired this year.
>
> I've also enjoyed Guaransee but have only limited knowledge of
> Nepalese "Darjeelings." Are there hidden treasures to be found?
>
> Again, welcome back.
>
> George- Hide quoted text -

there have been some really nice assams this year from hattialli,
harmutty and ligripookrie... outstanding teas - grades like golden
paw, golden triangle, tippy goldy... and so on... these are expensive
high end teas but they are the real assams.. you will love them once
you taste them.. these teas are generally not available to the common
public as the vendors abroad do not wish to buy these teas from us as
the margins they make on these teas are low as they cannot sell at
very high prices - instead they prefer common teas as they can strike
a good amount in those teas...

for darjeeling if you want the best value for money go for a pure
thurbo clonal tippy - its the best they have produced.. thurbo
undoubtedly has produced the best 2nd flush teas this year.. 2nd
option is Margarets Hope...

for nilgiri - nothing really outstanding from my side - all i have
tried has been only so so ... sorry but thats what it is ..

teas should be well sized and graded and smaller particles only tend
to give harshness to the teas.. so try and avoid the smaller
particles... if you have some in your tea.. blow them away and brew
your tea it will turn out much better...

nepals are good teas for short term - if consumed within 3 months from
the date of production - after that by each passing day they turn more
and more flat... so be careful to check the date of production while
buying a nepal...

thanks you for the warmth.. feels good to share our knowledge with you
folks.. have fun!!!

ankit
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Ankit Lochan > writes:

> On Sep 30, 6:11Â*pm, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> [...what is oversize?...]
>
> Oversize meaning it iss larger than the standard whole leaf that we
> take into consideration.. The perfect size is supposed to be SFTGFOP1
> in darjeeling and STGFOP 1 in assam - this is supposedly the bud and
> the first leaf... now GFOP is the 2nd and the third leaf - hence being
> bigger in size than the normal leaf grade. this is also the reason why
> it is cheaper than the normal leaf grades and also harsh and strong in
> taste. the taste will always be stronger and not as good as the
> perfect leaf grades... hope this helps answering your queries..

Yes, thanks!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 14:27:28 -0700 (PDT), toci >
wrote:

>On Sep 29, 2:34*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:31:54 -0700 (PDT), toci >
>> wrote:

>> >With a strong Assam or African tea I've found 212degrees for 90seconds
>> >works. *Then make a second cup with the same "leaf" -maybe "grounds"
>> >would be a better word- *aand have a second strong cup later in the
>> >morning. * * Toci

>> Do you usually brew the second pot using the same parameters?
>>
>> Someone suggested increasing the time by 15-30 seconds for 2nd and 3rd
>> pots for green teas.- Hide quoted text -

>Once I've gotten the first mug out after 90 seconds, the second mug
>can brew all morning or until I'm ready for it. I would suspect the
>second mug needs at least five minutes, though. Toci

I ran this test yesterday. Very interesting. The first pot was too
strong. I'm still fiddling with the g/cup parameter. But the second
pot was pretty good. Not at all bitter. This is surprising. If I had
brewed the first pot 5 minutes, I could use it to dissolve nails.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 1, 12:10*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 14:27:28 -0700 (PDT), toci >
> wrote:
>

> >On Sep 29, 2:34*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:

> >> Do you usually brew the second pot using the same parameters?

> >> Someone suggested increasing the time by 15-30 seconds for 2nd and 3rd
> >> pots for green teas.- Hide quoted text -

> >Once I've gotten the first mug out after 90 seconds, the second mug
> >can brew all morning or until I'm ready for it. *I would suspect the
> >second mug needs at least five minutes, though. * * Toci

> I ran this test yesterday. Very interesting. The first pot was too
> strong. I'm still fiddling with the g/cup parameter. But the second
> pot was pretty good. Not at all bitter. This is surprising. If I had
> brewed the first pot 5 minutes, I could use it to dissolve nails.- Hide quoted text -

That's why you don't brew the first mug five minutes. Maybe try 75
seconds. Toci
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 01:49:02 -0700 (PDT), Ankit Lochan
> wrote:

>On Sep 30, 6:34*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 00:14:43 -0700 (PDT), Ankit Lochan
>>

>> > wrote:

>> >reduce the temperature and steeping time.. steep it short and sweet
>> >like 20 to 25 secs at moderate temp... *OR

>> A moderate temp is 190?
>>
>> >another option - use the traditional method - 1.75 or 2.0 g for 3
>> >minutes - water below boiling temp. ... this is a standard we use for
>> >testing all black teas.

>> I'll add that to my list of test parameters.
>>

>> >GFOP is normally a oversize tea so it tends to give some
>> >problems... - Hide quoted text -

>yes 190 to 195 is perfect - it does not bruise the tea... if you wash
>your black teas like the chinese greens they will be less astringent
>and you can have a smooth cup for grades like GFOP..

A quick rinse in cold (room temp) water?

Does this also work for senchas?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 1, 5:02*am, Ankit Lochan > wrote:
> On Oct 1, 4:22*am, george tasman > wrote:

> > > Oversize? *Do you mean leaves not so close to the tip? *And what
> > > problems do you expect from a tea like this?

> > > /Lew
> > > ---
> > > Lew Perin /

> > Mr Lochlan.....

> > Great to see you back on this group. It will be valuable to have your
> > expertise on black teas, which don't get much play.

> > I've been reasonably pleased with the Assam I buy but it's only so-so.
> > Nilgiri and most recent Darjeelings seem a little flat. Do small leaf
> > blacks provide less harshness and more tippy flavors? If so, any
> > recommendations? Are there any interesting developments in
> > Darjeelings, including your own? I really would love to find a full,
> > smooth and lively Indian black but the second flush estate teas I used
> > to find so good seem a little tired this year.

> > I've also enjoyed Guaransee but have only limited knowledge of
> > Nepalese "Darjeelings." Are there hidden treasures to be found?

> > Again, welcome back.

> > George- Hide quoted text -

> there have been some really nice assams this year from hattialli,
> harmutty and ligripookrie... outstanding teas - grades like golden
> paw, golden triangle, tippy goldy... and so on... these are expensive
> high end teas but they are the real assams.. you will love them once
> you taste them.. these teas are generally not available to the common
> public as the vendors abroad do not wish to buy these teas from us as
> the margins they make on these teas are low as they cannot sell at
> very high prices - instead they prefer common teas as they can strike
> a good amount in those teas...
>
> for darjeeling if you want the best value for money go for a pure
> thurbo clonal tippy - its the best they have produced.. thurbo
> undoubtedly has produced the best 2nd flush teas this year.. 2nd
> option is Margarets Hope...
>
> for nilgiri - nothing really outstanding from my side - all i have
> tried has been only so so ... sorry but thats what it is ..
>
> teas should be well sized and graded and smaller particles only tend
> to give harshness to the teas.. so try and avoid the smaller
> particles... if you have some in your tea.. blow them away and brew
> your tea it will turn out much better...
>
> nepals are good teas for short term - if consumed within 3 months from
> the date of production - after that by each passing day they turn more
> and more flat... so be careful to check the date of production while
> buying a nepal...
>
> thanks you for the warmth.. feels good to share our knowledge with you
> folks.. have fun!!!
>
> ankit

Thanks for the info. Any online vendors you'd recommend? How is the
Indian export and mail situation for getting good deliveries. (I plan
to check out your own site)
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 2, 1:49*am, george tasman > wrote:
> On Oct 1, 5:02*am, Ankit Lochan > wrote:

> > > Mr Lochlan.....

> > > Great to see you back on this group. It will be valuable to have your
> > > expertise on black teas, which don't get much play.

> > > I've been reasonably pleased with the Assam I buy but it's only so-so..
> > > Nilgiri and most recent Darjeelings seem a little flat. Do small leaf
> > > blacks provide less harshness and more tippy flavors? If so, any
> > > recommendations? Are there any interesting developments in
> > > Darjeelings, including your own? I really would love to find a full,
> > > smooth and lively Indian black but the second flush estate teas I used
> > > to find so good seem a little tired this year.

> > > I've also enjoyed Guaransee but have only limited knowledge of
> > > Nepalese "Darjeelings." Are there hidden treasures to be found?

> > > Again, welcome back.

> > > George- Hide quoted text -

> > there have been some really nice assams this year from hattialli,
> > harmutty and ligripookrie... outstanding teas - grades like golden
> > paw, golden triangle, tippy goldy... and so on... these are expensive
> > high end teas but they are the real assams.. you will love them once
> > you taste them.. these teas are generally not available to the common
> > public as the vendors abroad do not wish to buy these teas from us as
> > the margins they make on these teas are low as they cannot sell at
> > very high prices - instead they prefer common teas as they can strike
> > a good amount in those teas...

> > for darjeeling if you want the best value for money go for a pure
> > thurbo clonal tippy - its the best they have produced.. thurbo
> > undoubtedly has produced the best 2nd flush teas this year.. 2nd
> > option is Margarets Hope...

> > for nilgiri - nothing really outstanding from my side - all i have
> > tried has been only so so ... sorry but thats what it is ..

> > teas should be well sized and graded and smaller particles only tend
> > to give harshness to the teas.. so try and avoid the smaller
> > particles... if you have some in your tea.. blow them away and brew
> > your tea it will turn out much better...

> > nepals are good teas for short term - if consumed within 3 months from
> > the date of production - after that by each passing day they turn more
> > and more flat... so be careful to check the date of production while
> > buying a nepal...

> > thanks you for the warmth.. feels good to share our knowledge with you
> > folks.. have fun!!!

> > ankit

> Thanks for the info. Any online vendors you'd recommend? How is the
> Indian export and mail situation for getting good deliveries. (I plan
> to check out your own site)- Hide quoted text -

ha ha .. you are welcome to try any service you think good...
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

My local English tea shoppe told me there is a movement to get away
from the Indian alphabet soup grades:
http://i36.tinypic.com/2lstpc0.jpg
On the left whole leaf from Nilgiri Glendale district.
On the right partial whole leaf from India Putharjhora district.
These are my first Indian greens. Ill pay more for something that
looks like leaf.
Jim

On Sep 30, 7:11 am, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> Ankit Lochan > writes:
>
> > GFOP is normally a oversize tea so it tends to give some
> > problems...

> Oversize? Do you mean leaves not so close to the tip? And what
> problems do you expect from a tea like this?
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:47:42 -0700, Prof Wonmug > wrote:

>I bought a 125g sample of Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP (TA40) from Upton
>tea.
>
>http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/ite...rom=search.asp
>
>I can't seem to find any good brewing parameters.
>
>My 1st pot was at the vendor recs: 2.25g/cup, 212°, 5:00. This was
>like battery acid.
>
>Next I tried have that strength for 3 minutes. This was better, but
>still too strong.
>
>Next I tried 1.0 g/cup for 2 minutes. This was too weak.
>
>Next I tried 1.5 g/cup for 1 minute. This was the best so far, but
>still not great (for me). It had an odd taste and after taste that I
>can't quite describe. A little smokey, but not exactly. It also left a
>funny feeling in my stomach.
>
>My latest test was 3.0 g/cup for just 30 seconds. I've had good luck
>with double or triple strength for very short steeps, but this was
>very bitter -- as bad as the first pot.
>
>I am about to conclude that this is just not a tea I like. But, before
>I shelve it, can anyone suggest other parameters I might try?
>
>Thanks

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions for brewing parameters.

I have a little more testing to do, but this tea works best for me at
about 2.0 g/cup, a slightly cooler temp (~190), a fairly short steep
time (less than a minute), and with a pre-rinse in cold water.

I was about to throw this out. I'm glad I got better data. This
probably won't ever be a favorite, but it might be good for an
occasional change of pace.

I appreciate the help from those with more experience.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I have a tin of this same tea and haven't had much luck with it
either. As you said, nothing really bad about it, just not good. I've
tried an assortment of preparations Qty, temp, time, no luck. When I
get a tea like this I usually end up blending it, but this one doesn't
seem to want to blend well either. I'll prolly end up using it to take
the edge off some mini tuo cha puerh's I have. I'll give it a 2/5
review and not buy any more. Every time I order I try to get something
I haven't tried before (125gm...enuf to mess with but not a great loss
if it's not good) and this was one of those.
Paul Q

> Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions for brewing parameters.
>
> I have a little more testing to do, but this tea works best for me at
> about 2.0 g/cup, a slightly cooler temp (~190), a fairly short steep
> time (less than a minute), and with a pre-rinse in cold water.
>
> I was about to throw this out. I'm glad I got better data. This
> probably won't ever be a favorite, but it might be good for an
> occasional change of pace.
>
> I appreciate the help from those with more experience.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 12:56:30 -0700 (PDT), fiveqs >
wrote:

>I have a tin of this same tea and haven't had much luck with it
>either. As you said, nothing really bad about it, just not good. I've
>tried an assortment of preparations Qty, temp, time, no luck. When I
>get a tea like this I usually end up blending it, but this one doesn't
>seem to want to blend well either. I'll prolly end up using it to take
>the edge off some mini tuo cha puerh's I have. I'll give it a 2/5
>review and not buy any more. Every time I order I try to get something
>I haven't tried before (125gm...enuf to mess with but not a great loss
>if it's not good) and this was one of those.
>Paul Q

I'm actually starting to like this a bit more, now that I'm getting
closer to the right brewing parameters. I'm playing with 180 degrees
and having better results.

>> Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions for brewing parameters.
>>
>> I have a little more testing to do, but this tea works best for me at
>> about 2.0 g/cup, a slightly cooler temp (~190), a fairly short steep
>> time (less than a minute), and with a pre-rinse in cold water.
>>
>> I was about to throw this out. I'm glad I got better data. This
>> probably won't ever be a favorite, but it might be good for an
>> occasional change of pace.
>>
>> I appreciate the help from those with more experience.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 01:49:02 -0700 (PDT), Ankit Lochan
> wrote:

>On Sep 30, 6:34*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 00:14:43 -0700 (PDT), Ankit Lochan

>if you wash
>your black teas like the chinese greens they will be less astringent
>and you can have a smooth cup for grades like GFOP..

Is a "wash" just a quick rinse in cold water (room temperature)?
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Prof Wonmug > writes:

> On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 01:49:02 -0700 (PDT), Ankit Lochan
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sep 30, 6:34Â*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> >> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 00:14:43 -0700 (PDT), Ankit Lochan

> >if you wash
> >your black teas like the chinese greens they will be less astringent
> >and you can have a smooth cup for grades like GFOP..

> Is a "wash" just a quick rinse in cold water (room temperature)?

No, hot. Almost all the Chinese people I've ever seen brew tea gongfu
style start out with a hot water rinse of the leaves.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
recent addition: Qian Jia Feng
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 5, 10:47*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 01:49:02 -0700 (PDT), Ankit Lochan
>
> > wrote:
> >On Sep 30, 6:34*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> >> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 00:14:43 -0700 (PDT), Ankit Lochan

> >if you wash
> >your black teas like the chinese greens they will be less astringent
> >and you can have a smooth cup for grades like GFOP..

> Is a "wash" just a quick rinse in cold water (room temperature)?

lewis is right... was with warm water not boiling... cold not
recommended...
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Ive never seen an Indian rinse tea leaves. Maybe the pot.

Jim

On Oct 6, 1:30 am, Ankit Lochan > wrote:
> On Oct 5, 10:47 pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 01:49:02 -0700 (PDT), Ankit Lochan

> > > wrote:

> > >if you wash
> > >your black teas like the chinese greens they will be less astringent
> > >and you can have a smooth cup for grades like GFOP..

> > Is a "wash" just a quick rinse in cold water (room temperature)?

> lewis is right... was with warm water not boiling... cold not
> recommended...

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 05 Oct 2009 15:09:56 -0400, Lewis Perin > wrote:

>Prof Wonmug > writes:
>
>> On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 01:49:02 -0700 (PDT), Ankit Lochan
>> > wrote:

>> >if you wash
>> >your black teas like the chinese greens they will be less astringent
>> >and you can have a smooth cup for grades like GFOP..

>> Is a "wash" just a quick rinse in cold water (room temperature)?

>No, hot. Almost all the Chinese people I've ever seen brew tea gongfu
>style start out with a hot water rinse of the leaves.

"Hot" = the same temperature as the steep water?

How does this work exactly?

I usually use an ingenuiTea infuser. Would I pour a cup of hot water
into the ingenuiTea and immediately set it on a cup to drain? Total
time in the water 5-10 seconds?

This procedure would eliminate a lot of the caffeine, right?

What about other chemicals? Is there any data on which chemicals are
released right away and which only after longer steeping?
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 00:30:36 -0700 (PDT), Ankit Lochan
> wrote:

>On Oct 5, 10:47*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 01:49:02 -0700 (PDT), Ankit Lochan
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >if you wash
>> >your black teas like the chinese greens they will be less astringent
>> >and you can have a smooth cup for grades like GFOP..

>> Is a "wash" just a quick rinse in cold water (room temperature)?

>lewis is right... was with warm water not boiling... cold not
>recommended...

So cooler than the steep temp?

Is this a good account of the procedure?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gongfu_tea_ceremony

How about this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh8m5nO_t5M
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Prof Wonmug > writes:

> On 05 Oct 2009 15:09:56 -0400, Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> >Prof Wonmug > writes:
> >
> >> On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 01:49:02 -0700 (PDT), Ankit Lochan

> >> Is a "wash" just a quick rinse in cold water (room temperature)?

> >No, hot. Almost all the Chinese people I've ever seen brew tea gongfu
> >style start out with a hot water rinse of the leaves.

> "Hot" = the same temperature as the steep water?

Yes.

> How does this work exactly?
>
> I usually use an ingenuiTea infuser. Would I pour a cup of hot water
> into the ingenuiTea and immediately set it on a cup to drain? Total
> time in the water 5-10 seconds?

That sounds about right.

> This procedure would eliminate a lot of the caffeine, right?

Not a tremendous amount, no. There have been threads about how long
it takes to dissolve how much caffeine here before.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Ankit Lochan > wrote:
>there have been some really nice assams this year from hattialli,
>harmutty and ligripookrie... outstanding teas - grades like golden
>paw, golden triangle, tippy goldy... and so on... these are expensive
>high end teas but they are the real assams.. you will love them once
>you taste them.. these teas are generally not available to the common
>public as the vendors abroad do not wish to buy these teas from us as
>the margins they make on these teas are low as they cannot sell at
>very high prices - instead they prefer common teas as they can strike
>a good amount in those teas...

I have to say that I have had some excellent cheap assams this season,
some inexpensive bulk teas that have good scent to them and make a pleasant
pot. Not in the same league as some of the great single estate teas, but
they make my mouth happy.

>for darjeeling if you want the best value for money go for a pure
>thurbo clonal tippy - its the best they have produced.. thurbo
>undoubtedly has produced the best 2nd flush teas this year.. 2nd
>option is Margarets Hope...

So much darjeeling isn't darjeeling at all, that buying the estate teas
at least increases your chance of getting what you think you're getting.

Incidentally I have recently had a couple of Sikkim teas that tasted
very much like the older-style more heavily fermented darjeelings. Can
you make any recommendation for some of these?
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 6, 5:38*pm, Space Cowboy > wrote:
> Ive never seen an Indian rinse tea leaves. *Maybe the pot.
>
> Jim
>
> On Oct 6, 1:30 am, Ankit Lochan > wrote:
>

> > On Oct 5, 10:47 pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:

> > > On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 01:49:02 -0700 (PDT), Ankit Lochan

> > > Is a "wash" just a quick rinse in cold water (room temperature)?

> > lewis is right... was with warm water not boiling... cold not
> > recommended...- Hide quoted text -

i guess you havent come across the right indian tea lovers...

Russian Orthodox Christmas Surprise Margaret Suran General Cooking 52 14-01-2007 08:12 PM
CTC Assam Pat Tea 13 31-01-2006 05:15 PM
Foojoy Yunnan Tippy Melinda Tea 2 19-10-2004 12:42 PM
Tippy Yunnan Helga Warzecha Tea 12 21-06-2004 10:02 PM
Good news for Orthodox Jews - kosher for Passover beer Tom Wolper Beer 3 12-04-2004 02:43 PM