Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default cold brewing

has anybody tried brewing tea with "cold" water? is it considered a
bad practice? suitable with some kinds of tea? in korea i was once
offered a glass of cold water with a tea bag and i was quite shocked.
it was a very hot summer day.

by cold i mean of course not heated, i.e. water from a bottle on the
room.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 17, 3:29*pm, marc > wrote:
> has anybody tried brewing tea with "cold" water? is it considered a
> bad practice? suitable with some kinds of tea? in korea i was once
> offered a glass of cold water with a tea bag and i was quite shocked.
> it was a very hot summer day.
>
> by cold i mean of course not heated, i.e. water from a bottle on the
> room.

I've been brewing tea all summer overnight in the refrigerator. It
tastes good; I don't know what nutrients it holds, however. Brewing
on the windowsill (sun tea) might be dangerous in terms of having too
many bacteria. Now that autumn is almost here I'm shifting back to
hot tea. Toci
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

marc > writes:

> has anybody tried brewing tea with "cold" water? is it considered a
> bad practice? suitable with some kinds of tea? in korea i was once
> offered a glass of cold water with a tea bag and i was quite shocked.
> it was a very hot summer day.
>
> by cold i mean of course not heated, i.e. water from a bottle on the
> room.

In the summer, I often brew tea leaves in room-temperature water. It
takes longer than hot water, of course, and the taste and mouth feel
of the liquor tends to be different: no astringency, less bitterness.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

thanks for your replies,

On 17 Set, 23:16, toci > wrote:
> I've been brewing tea all summer overnight in the refrigerator. It
> tastes good; I don't know what nutrients it holds, however. Brewing
> on the windowsill (sun tea) might be dangerous in terms of having too
> many bacteria. Now that autumn is almost here I'm shifting back to
> hot tea. Toci

i don't know, but, even if it is the refrigerator, isn't overnight a
bit too much? i mean in terms of brewing quality, not bacteria as you
point out.

On 17 Set, 23:44, Lewis Perin > wrote:

> In the summer, I often brew tea leaves in room-temperature water. *It
> takes longer than hot water, of course, and the taste and mouth feel
> of the liquor tends to be different: no astringency, less bitterness.
>
> /Lew

i see. does any of you any preference regarding type of tea - leave,
or it just does not matter?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 18, 4:49*am, marc > wrote:
> thanks for your replies,
>
> On 17 Set, 23:16, toci > wrote:
>
> > I've been brewing tea all summer overnight in the refrigerator. *It
> > tastes good; I don't know what nutrients it holds, however. *Brewing
> > on the windowsill (sun tea) might be dangerous in terms of having too
> > many bacteria. *Now that autumn is almost here I'm shifting back to
> > hot tea. * * Toci

> i don't know, but, even if it is the refrigerator, isn't overnight a
> bit too much? i mean in terms of brewing quality, not bacteria as you
> point out.
>
> On 17 Set, 23:44, Lewis Perin > wrote:
>

> > In the summer, I often brew tea leaves in room-temperature water. *It
> > takes longer than hot water, of course, and the taste and mouth feel
> > of the liquor tends to be different: no astringency, less bitterness.

> > /Lew

> i see. does any of you any preference regarding type of tea - leave,
> or it just does not matter?

The type of tea really doesn't matter, they can all be cold-brewed.
Some very delicate teas will result in an extremely delicate brew
which will only have a hint of the tea leaf's flavor but which can be
very enjoyable. Some will brew almost as normal, and some will offer
up a new/different result that can't be achieved through normal
brewing.

brewing can take an hour or even hours not minutes, so overnight is
not an issue.

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I agree with Dominic. Teas basically behave the same when brewed in
tepid water temperatures ie desirable flavors like catechins and
oxidized tannins are released eventually by solubility without
insoluble tannins that cause astringency. Many of us extract
additional brews by infusing spent leaf all day.

Jim

On Sep 18, 7:10 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> On Sep 18, 4:49 am, marc > wrote:
> > thanks for your replies,

> > On 17 Set, 23:16, toci > wrote:

> > > I've been brewing tea all summer overnight in the refrigerator. It
> > > tastes good; I don't know what nutrients it holds, however. Brewing
> > > on the windowsill (sun tea) might be dangerous in terms of having too
> > > many bacteria. Now that autumn is almost here I'm shifting back to
> > > hot tea. Toci

> > i don't know, but, even if it is the refrigerator, isn't overnight a
> > bit too much? i mean in terms of brewing quality, not bacteria as you
> > point out.

> > On 17 Set, 23:44, Lewis Perin > wrote:

> > > In the summer, I often brew tea leaves in room-temperature water. It
> > > takes longer than hot water, of course, and the taste and mouth feel
> > > of the liquor tends to be different: no astringency, less bitterness.

> > > /Lew

> > i see. does any of you any preference regarding type of tea - leave,
> > or it just does not matter?

> The type of tea really doesn't matter, they can all be cold-brewed.
> Some very delicate teas will result in an extremely delicate brew
> which will only have a hint of the tea leaf's flavor but which can be
> very enjoyable. Some will brew almost as normal, and some will offer
> up a new/different result that can't be achieved through normal
> brewing.
>
> brewing can take an hour or even hours not minutes, so overnight is
> not an issue.
>
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 17, 4:29*pm, marc > wrote:
> has anybody tried brewing tea with "cold" water? is it considered a
> bad practice? suitable with some kinds of tea? in korea i was once
> offered a glass of cold water with a tea bag and i was quite shocked.
> it was a very hot summer day.
>
> by cold i mean of course not heated, i.e. water from a bottle on the
> room.

I knew a Taiwanese lady that always took 2 or 3 balls of the High
Mountain tea she sold and put them in a bottle of cold water and stuck
it in the fridge. She would let it sit overnight and would drink it
the next day in the summertime. It worked pretty good for the heavily
roasted stuff, I thought.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

marc > writes:

> [...]
> On 17 Set, 23:44, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> >
> > In the summer, I often brew tea leaves in room-temperature water. Â*It
> > takes longer than hot water, of course, and the taste and mouth feel
> > of the liquor tends to be different: no astringency, less bitterness.

> i see. does any of you any preference regarding type of tea - leave,
> or it just does not matter?

I get the best results with delicate greens, but that may just be my
palate. I think it's worth trying with pretty much all teas.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 18, 3:49*am, marc > wrote:
> thanks for your replies,
>
> On 17 Set, 23:16, toci > wrote:
>
> > I've been brewing tea all summer overnight in the refrigerator. *It
> > tastes good; I don't know what nutrients it holds, however. *Brewing
> > on the windowsill (sun tea) might be dangerous in terms of having too
> > many bacteria. *Now that autumn is almost here I'm shifting back to
> > hot tea. * * Toci

> i don't know, but, even if it is the refrigerator, isn't overnight a
> bit too much? i mean in terms of brewing quality, not bacteria as you
> point out.
>
> On 17 Set, 23:44, Lewis Perin > wrote:
>

> > In the summer, I often brew tea leaves in room-temperature water. *It
> > takes longer than hot water, of course, and the taste and mouth feel
> > of the liquor tends to be different: no astringency, less bitterness.

> > /Lew

> i see. does any of you any preference regarding type of tea - leave,
> or it just does not matter?

The teas I've had most for iced tea are the Assams and the Assam
descendants- Java, Ceylon, Nilgiri, and African. Toci
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

thanks again to all for your replies, i've found them all meaningful.

toci, you mention the word "iced tea". to me, iced meant a hot brew
splashed on ice, so that it does keep well and does not form
disgusting floating things. i thought cold water brewing was different
to that. i wonder if there is a theory on that.

On Sep 18, 9:24*pm, toci > wrote:
> On Sep 18, 3:49*am, marc > wrote:
>

> > thanks for your replies,

> > On 17 Set, 23:16, toci > wrote:

> > > I've been brewing tea all summer overnight in the refrigerator. *It
> > > tastes good; I don't know what nutrients it holds, however. *Brewing
> > > on the windowsill (sun tea) might be dangerous in terms of having too
> > > many bacteria. *Now that autumn is almost here I'm shifting back to
> > > hot tea. * * Toci

> > i don't know, but, even if it is the refrigerator, isn't overnight a
> > bit too much? i mean in terms of brewing quality, not bacteria as you
> > point out.

> > On 17 Set, 23:44, Lewis Perin > wrote:

> > > In the summer, I often brew tea leaves in room-temperature water. *It
> > > takes longer than hot water, of course, and the taste and mouth feel
> > > of the liquor tends to be different: no astringency, less bitterness.

> > > /Lew

> > i see. does any of you any preference regarding type of tea - leave,
> > or it just does not matter?

> The teas I've had most for iced tea are the Assams and the Assam
> descendants- Java, Ceylon, Nilgiri, and African. * * Toci

Brewing Cream of Assam and tea brewing in general opother Tea 2 02-09-2006 03:25 PM
City Brewing May purchase Latrobe Brewing plant Tom or Mary Beer 5 27-06-2006 06:47 PM
Pittsburgh Brewing Co. to acquire Latrobe Brewing ????????? tomkanpa Beer 0 01-06-2006 01:15 PM
cold water brewing or steeping SN Tea 13 06-09-2005 08:08 PM
Brewing John Nervo Beer 0 08-01-2005 07:36 PM