Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Mysterious Taiwan tea

Over the years Ive drank Taiwan teas such as nantou,pouchong,jade,high
mtn,milk,aged. They were identified as such and comparing any two of
the same was a simple comparison. My local tea shoppe is very lax in
identifying its Taiwan teas using such criteria. The selection comes
and goes and what I end up with is the discounted Taiwan tea that
doesnt sell. There was a very expensive discounted one Ive been
drinking off and on over the past year. It didnt fit any taste
profile Im familiar with from Taiwan. All of a sudden Im drinking a
cup this morning and it reminded me of a mainland light roast TGY. I
know there is a hole in that Ive never bought one identified as such
from Taiwan. The last time I had such a revelation is identifying
Oriental Beauty as Darjeeling.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Space Cowboy > writes:

> Over the years Ive drank Taiwan teas such as nantou,pouchong,jade,high
> mtn,milk,aged. They were identified as such and comparing any two of
> the same was a simple comparison. My local tea shoppe is very lax in
> identifying its Taiwan teas using such criteria. The selection comes
> and goes and what I end up with is the discounted Taiwan tea that
> doesnt sell. There was a very expensive discounted one Ive been
> drinking off and on over the past year. It didnt fit any taste
> profile Im familiar with from Taiwan. All of a sudden Im drinking a
> cup this morning and it reminded me of a mainland light roast TGY. I
> know there is a hole in that Ive never bought one identified as such
> from Taiwan. The last time I had such a revelation is identifying
> Oriental Beauty as Darjeeling.

Well, maybe it *is* lightly roasted Tieguanyin from Taiwan.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Maybe even a Dong Ding.

Jim

On Jun 25, 7:50 am, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> Space Cowboy > writes:

....which Taiwan tea...
> > All of a sudden Im drinking a
> > cup this morning and it reminded me of a mainland light roast TGY. I
> > know there is a hole in that Ive never bought one identified as such
> > from Taiwan. The last time I had such a revelation is identifying
> > Oriental Beauty as Darjeeling.

> Well, maybe it *is* lightly roasted Tieguanyin from Taiwan.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Space Cowboy > writes:

> On Jun 25, 7:50 am, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> > Space Cowboy > writes:

> ...which Taiwan tea...
> > > All of a sudden Im drinking a
> > > cup this morning and it reminded me of a mainland light roast TGY. I
> > > know there is a hole in that Ive never bought one identified as such
> > > from Taiwan. The last time I had such a revelation is identifying
> > > Oriental Beauty as Darjeeling.

> > Well, maybe it *is* lightly roasted Tieguanyin from Taiwan.

> Maybe even a Dong Ding.

I bet you could tell the difference.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 25, 9:40*pm, Space Cowboy > wrote:
> Over the years Ive drank Taiwan teas such as nantou,pouchong,jade,high
> mtn,milk,aged. *They were identified as such and comparing any two of
> the same was a simple comparison. *My local tea shoppe is very lax in
> identifying its Taiwan teas using such criteria. *The selection comes
> and goes and what I end up with is the discounted Taiwan tea that
> doesnt sell. *There was a very expensive discounted one Ive been
> drinking off and on over the past year. *It didnt fit any taste
> profile Im familiar with from Taiwan. *All of a sudden Im drinking a
> cup this morning and it reminded me of a mainland light roast TGY. *I
> know there is a hole in that Ive never bought one identified as such
> from Taiwan. *The last time I had such a revelation is identifying
> Oriental Beauty as Darjeeling.
>
> Jim

A lot of "Taiwan Tea" is produced in China. If there are no other
identifiers, it might have been produced on the mainland and it IS TGY
like Lew said.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I have a Dong Ding TGY Product of China. It is a pale second. The
local tea shoppe may not supply enough particulars but I know they get
the country right. I also notice all Taiwan teas minus the Oriental
Beauty have a particular look which I call 'viney' ie the leaf looks
like it came from a vine. There is also a common olfactory note which
I can only describe as 'sweet'.

Jim

On Jun 27, 10:29 pm, Mydnight > wrote:
> On Jun 25, 9:40 pm, Space Cowboy > wrote:
>
> > Over the years Ive drank Taiwan teas such as nantou,pouchong,jade,high
> > mtn,milk,aged. They were identified as such and comparing any two of
> > the same was a simple comparison. My local tea shoppe is very lax in
> > identifying its Taiwan teas using such criteria. The selection comes
> > and goes and what I end up with is the discounted Taiwan tea that
> > doesnt sell. There was a very expensive discounted one Ive been
> > drinking off and on over the past year. It didnt fit any taste
> > profile Im familiar with from Taiwan. All of a sudden Im drinking a
> > cup this morning and it reminded me of a mainland light roast TGY. I
> > know there is a hole in that Ive never bought one identified as such
> > from Taiwan. The last time I had such a revelation is identifying
> > Oriental Beauty as Darjeeling.

> > Jim

> A lot of "Taiwan Tea" is produced in China. If there are no other
> identifiers, it might have been produced on the mainland and it IS TGY
> like Lew said.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 29, 8:25*am, Space Cowboy > wrote:
> I have a Dong Ding TGY Product of China. *It is a pale second. *The
> local tea shoppe may not supply enough particulars but I know they get
> the country right. *I also notice all Taiwan teas minus the Oriental
> Beauty have a particular look which I call 'viney' ie the leaf looks
> like it came from a vine. *There is also a common olfactory note which
> I can only describe as 'sweet'.
>
> Jim
>
> On Jun 27, 10:29 pm, Mydnight > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 25, 9:40 pm, Space Cowboy > wrote:

> > > Over the years Ive drank Taiwan teas such as nantou,pouchong,jade,high
> > > mtn,milk,aged. *They were identified as such and comparing any two of
> > > the same was a simple comparison. *My local tea shoppe is very lax in
> > > identifying its Taiwan teas using such criteria. *The selection comes
> > > and goes and what I end up with is the discounted Taiwan tea that
> > > doesnt sell. *There was a very expensive discounted one Ive been
> > > drinking off and on over the past year. *It didnt fit any taste
> > > profile Im familiar with from Taiwan. *All of a sudden Im drinking a
> > > cup this morning and it reminded me of a mainland light roast TGY. *I
> > > know there is a hole in that Ive never bought one identified as such
> > > from Taiwan. *The last time I had such a revelation is identifying
> > > Oriental Beauty as Darjeeling.

> > > Jim

> > A lot of "Taiwan Tea" is produced in China. *If there are no other
> > identifiers, it might have been produced on the mainland and it IS TGY
> > like Lew said.- Hide quoted text -

Jim,
Supposedly there is a big problem in Taiwan now with tea being
imported from China, Vietnam and Thailand and then being labelled as
made in Taiwan. So the vendor could have been told it is from Taiwan
but that doesn't mean it is. Alternatively maybe it is a less common
varietal like shui xian or something else. Just some thoughts....

The mysterious ham sandwich of Belarus Star Bread ˜… General Cooking 0 09-12-2016 07:59 PM
that mysterious rolling pin Mark Thorson General Cooking 3 05-03-2015 03:21 PM
the mysterious Dureza! Techno Buddha Wine 2 11-03-2014 11:18 PM
Mysterious SF tea Space Cowboy Tea 10 06-10-2007 05:09 PM
Genius Is Mysterious Sheldon General Cooking 3 04-07-2007 04:50 PM