FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   Makita 9924DB 7.8 Amp 3-Inch by 24-Inch Belt Sander with Cloth Dust Bag (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/172660-makita-9924db-7-8-a.html)

[email protected] 22-05-2009 03:00 AM

Makita 9924DB 7.8 Amp 3-Inch by 24-Inch Belt Sander with Cloth Dust Bag

Price:$323.60
Image: http://megadiscountfinder.info/image.php?id=B0000223IW
Best deal: http://megadiscountfinder.info/index.php?id=B0000223IW

I bought a 9924DB in 1988 and have used it almost continuously since.Yesterday, after 20 years, it started running roughly electrically.I disassembled it and found that I have almost completely worn down the commutator. If I had had 120 volts running through me, then my commutator would have died 18 years ago. Sadly, Makita doesn't sell the armature or the field. Since my metal housing has also been badly worn I will be only too happy to buy another 9924DB. In 1988 it was $ 179.95. Now in 2008 It's $ 199.95. That works out to $ 10 bucks for a year for 20 years of hard service. That's a very fair price for a 4" sander. Thanks Makita !
I have own a countertop business for 25 years, and have bought a total of 8 of these sanders through the years. They are durable,light weight, and yet sand smoothly and right up against the wall if need be. I use my sanders an average of 2-3 hours and day every work day and they hardly ever break down or need much maintenece. As for the 4" base plate......NO problem, just use 4" wide belts instead of the 3" belts recommended. I have always used 4" belts with great results. This is a great bargain, its like buying a 4" x 24" belt sander, but at less weight and less money! Highly Recommend!!
When you consider most belt sanders on the market and then go out and take a close look this one surpasses many others . Most outside of a few have the motor set 90 degrees to the belt , while this is not the most balanced desigen Makita has come up with a design that almost eliminates tipping and gouging . Another thing to look at is the flatness of the base and how sturdy it is secured to the motor . This sander has a flat base and it does not flex or give at all and it is set 90 degrees to the base of the motor . A friend of mine got the porter cable and one of the first things I noted was the base appeared bend so the sander leaned to the right ( viewed from the handle end) this was before I got the makita and when I did check others in stores all where the same way . The one I got has the dust collection and it works very well , one thing to keep in mind is that all belt snaders pickup from the rear so if you have the rear off the work area dust will drift and blow on all belt sanders . This sander also has a rather long cord so for me most of the time I don't need an extension . Some conplain that it seems to be a 4" base on a 3" sander and in a way it is and it can be used to run the belt to the edge for flush sanding . More important is that this wider base gives the sander stability and helps a great deal to keep the sander from tipping . I do have a bosch 3x21 inch inline belt sander with variable speed and use it for most jobs requiring a belt sander and for light duty work . But if I do need to remove wood fast and stay in control put a 150 grit belt on this sander and work with ease and control plus fast stock removal . There are not alot of things that can go wrong with this tool . It is well designed and simple to adjust , the tracking works very well and there is also a replaceable belt stop to keep form cutting the housing through with the belt and it is made to last a very long time . Everything about it is heavy duty .
My shop uses many sanders and I have purhcased many through amazon.com or "Tools parts direct" web site. This sander works fairly well if used several hours a day as long as you can change the bearing regularly.If you are more heavy professional, try p&c 504.
I have owned this belt sander for 9 years now and it has never let me down. The dust collection works great, belt changes are a snap with the lever. This is one of those tools that just feels right in your hand, powerful but light. Extra wide base is for flush sanding. Would buy again in a minute.
This belt sander has a low-profile, balanced design with a powerful 7.8 Amp motor delivering 1300 feet per minute. Extended base allows flush sanding, and the replaceable ceramic wear plate is easy to maintain. Ball-bearing construction for long tool life. Features a highly efficient dust collection system for a cleaner work environment. Amps: 7.8, Belt Size (in. x in.): 3 x 24, Belt Speed (ft./min.): 1,300, Dust Bag Included: Yes

SIMILAR PRODUCTS:

Fein 6-35-02-151-02-0 1-1/8-Inch Universal E-Cut Blade, 3 Pack:http://megadiscountfinder.info/index.php?id=B00063RSJW
Porter-Cable 557 7.5 Amp Plate Joiner:http://megadiscountfinder.info/index.php?id=B00004YKUO
Porter-Cable 690LR 11 Amp Fixed Base Horsepower Router:http://megadiscountfinder.info/index.php?id=B00005QEVQ