Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default I may have to change my stance on tea and health

Six months or so back I had my cholesterol checked and when the
results came the nurse and doctor were discussing the results within
earshot of me and in hushed tones... I figured something was wrong.
They came in and asked me a bunch of questions about my diet (for
those who don't know I'm a pretty big guy about 6'3" and 240lbs. but
I've always been active outdoors and played sports) I'm also a
"foodie" (I hate that term) and love to cook and eat adventurously and
in decent quantity but for the most part I stick to reasonably healthy
options (outside of the occasional Wellington, 2lb. steak, wings/
pizza). I figured I was going to have to cut out all of the things I
like to indulge with (triple bacon cheeseburgers)... instead they
ended by telling me that my cholesterol levels were actually so low
that I should probably eat some more things containing cholesterol! I
was shocked. I really had no answers for them and really thought it
may have been an error and came out pretty happy except for their
great concern about my low numbers.

I was discussing this anomaly with my parents a couple weeks back and
my mother said, "well, it's probably all of the green tea you drink."
I am a total non-believer in miracle cure-all health claims so this
never even entered my mind and I never even thought to bring it up to
the doctor. It could all be coincidence, it could truly be my diet
(although I highly doubt that one), genetics, it could be my love for
laughter (hey, who knows), it could be Venus was aligned just so with
my belt buckle that day... but it really could be the liters of tea I
drink each day (almost exclusively Chinese or Japanese greens). I
honestly don't know and after her comment it sent my logical mind
reeling.

I'm stumped, but after downing about 5lbs. (no lie) of meat the other
night as we were out with friends at a Churrascaria (Brazilian BBQ)
and a few porters I'm thinking there has to be some validity. Although
I'm still overweight and balding so the magical, mystical, powers have
some limitations if true.

- Dominic
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On May 21, 3:35*pm, "Dominic T." > wrote:

> I'm stumped, but after downing about 5lbs. (no lie) of meat the other
> night as we were out with friends at a Churrascaria (Brazilian BBQ)
> and a few porters I'm thinking there has to be some validity. Although
> I'm still overweight and balding so the magical, mystical, powers have
> some limitations if true.

You don't have to worry! Some people have naturally very low levels of
Cholesterol - I do as well. Just count yourself lucky.

You may have heard research about depression and suicide being linked
to low cholesterol levels. This is correct, but a vital factor is that
these are levels that are low relative to the norm for that person. It
is quite different from having life-long genetically determined low
levels.

If your cholesterol is, say 50% lower than it was six months ago, then
you might have something to worry about, but, if it's always low - and
that is likely to be the case from your description - then no problem.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Im not the poster child for the medicinal benefits of tea ie blood
pressure, glucose, cholesterol which runs in the family tree. I drink
shu in the evenings to control food cravings. If tea slows the grim
reaper it didnt cost me anything extra. Its simple, eat right,
exercise. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Jim

PS About three years ago I fell in love with bicycling. Ive dropped
40 pounds with no other changes in lifestyle. The only thing left to
go is the gut so I can start wearing spandex.