Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Wake-up tea

I'm using the very last of my Assam fannings which have served me
well. Does anybody have a suggestion for replacement?
Specifications: black, malty, cheap, strong, otherwise non-nuanced.
Not coffee. Toci
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

toci > wrote:
>I'm using the very last of my Assam fannings which have served me
>well. Does anybody have a suggestion for replacement?
>Specifications: black, malty, cheap, strong, otherwise non-nuanced.
>Not coffee. Toci

I like the "Malawi BOP" from Upton's. It's very cheap, strong, and malty
and it's great as a start for a masala tea too.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 10:06:09 -0700 (PDT), toci >
wrote:

>I'm using the very last of my Assam fannings which have served me
>well. Does anybody have a suggestion for replacement?
>Specifications: black, malty, cheap, strong, otherwise non-nuanced.
>Not coffee. Toci

Irish Breakfast Tea?
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 14, 1:06*pm, toci > wrote:
> I'm using the very last of my Assam fannings which have served me
> well. *Does anybody have a suggestion for replacement?
> Specifications: *black, malty, cheap, strong, otherwise non-nuanced.
> Not coffee. * * Toci

Pretty much any of the Assams from SpecialTeas will match your
criteria. I haven't had one that wasn't decent.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 14, 4:33*pm, Anvg > wrote:
> On Sep 14, 1:06*pm, toci > wrote:
>
> > I'm using the very last of my Assam fannings which have served me
> > well. *Does anybody have a suggestion for replacement?
> > Specifications: *black, malty, cheap, strong, otherwise non-nuanced.
> > Not coffee. * * Toci

> Pretty much any of the Assams from SpecialTeas will match your
> criteria. I haven't had one that wasn't decent.

I've tried several Assams from Upton, and it is hard to go wrong.
I'll be getting a couple of organic ones to test against the Malawi.
Thanks to you and the others for your suggestions. Toci

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 14, 1:35*pm, Square Peg > wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 10:06:09 -0700 (PDT), toci >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm using the very last of my Assam fannings which have served me
> >well. *Does anybody have a suggestion for replacement?
> >Specifications: *black, malty, cheap, strong, otherwise non-nuanced.
> >Not coffee. * * Toci

> Irish Breakfast Tea?

Right, that's the ticket. I've tried five of the breakfast teas and
they're all good. However, since they blend them from different
sources to taste the same year after year, there's a certain lack of
adventure. Irish Breakfast is usually near the top of Upton's best
seller list. Toci
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 14, 1:11*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> toci > wrote:
> >I'm using the very last of my Assam fannings which have served me
> >well. *Does anybody have a suggestion for replacement?
> >Specifications: *black, malty, cheap, strong, otherwise non-nuanced.
> >Not coffee. * * Toci

> I like the "Malawi BOP" from Upton's. *It's very cheap, strong, and malty
> and it's great as a start for a masala tea too.
> --scott
> --
> "C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Malawi was already on my list- there were extensive discussions about
it last year? I need to go back and reread. A whirl of catechins
and comparisons. Thanks. Toci
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

The breakfast teas, Irish, English, Scottish. Any Indian commercials
teas in the ethnic stores. My favorite Java teas, not cheap and hard
to find. You can taste the lava.

Jim

toci wrote:
> I'm using the very last of my Assam fannings which have served me
> well. Does anybody have a suggestion for replacement?
> Specifications: black, malty, cheap, strong, otherwise non-nuanced.
> Not coffee. Toci

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 15, 8:20*am, Space Cowboy > wrote:
> The breakfast teas, Irish, English, Scottish. *Any Indian commercials
> teas in the ethnic stores. *My favorite Java teas, not cheap and hard
> to find. *You can taste the lava.
>
> Jim
>

> toci wrote:
> > I'm using the very last of my Assam fannings which have served me
> > well. *Does anybody have a suggestion for replacement?
> > Specifications: *black, malty, cheap, strong, otherwise non-nuanced.
> > Not coffee. * * Toci- Hide quoted text -

I've really tried to taste the lava in Java, but what I taste is
clover and dried fruit. I am going to try it again, but I shall
probably have it as a late morning tea, not as a waker upper. Most of
the Nilgiri teas are also too tasty for eye openers- it almost has to
be an Assam if it's Indian? Toci
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 14, 1:06 pm, toci > wrote:
> I'm using the very last of my Assam fannings which have served me
> well. Does anybody have a suggestion for replacement?
> Specifications: black, malty, cheap, strong, otherwise non-nuanced.
> Not coffee. Toci

i recently stopped drinking coffee and needed a healthier substitute
for it. so, i came across www.asianteadepot.com because my therapist
shops there regularly and said that it was pretty cheap there for good
green teas. they have assam black teas too. you may want to check it
out, which i think they still have. i guess it's pretty "malty" too.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

You need to get a different therapist, Badaboom!

Jim

> so, i came across ...another website selling tea... because my therapist
> shops there regularly

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 17, 9:58*am, wrote:
> On Sep 14, 1:06 pm, toci > wrote:
>
> > I'm using the very last of my Assam fannings which have served me
> > well. *Does anybody have a suggestion for replacement?
> > Specifications: *black, malty, cheap, strong, otherwise non-nuanced.
> > Not coffee. * * Toci

> i recently stopped drinking coffee and needed a healthier substitute
> for it. *so, i came acrosswww.asianteadepot.combecause my therapist
> shops there regularly and said that it was pretty cheap there for good
> green teas. *they have assam black teas too. *you may want to check it
> out, which i think they still have. *i guess it's pretty "malty" too.

I looked through Asianteadepot. I enjoy their pictures of brewed tea
and their caffeine report charts. Their sampers are way more
expensive than where I usually order, and their Assam teas in quarter
pounds slightly more expensive. Thank you for your information,
though, and good health to you. Toci
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 18, 5:47*am, toci > wrote:
> I looked through Asianteadepot. *I enjoy their pictures of brewed tea
> and their caffeine report charts. *

The caffeine report chart isn't very useful. It lists teas from
lightest (white) to darkest (red/black) with greens and oolongs in
between, even though there is no direct correlation between amount of
oxidation and caffeine content. Now, if they listed the caffeine
content for EACH tea, that would be very helpful. I'm sure that's too
much trouble/expense for most tea retailers, though.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 19, 2:46*am, Alan > wrote:
> On Sep 18, 5:47*am, toci > wrote:

Now, if they listed the caffeine
> content for EACH tea, that would be very helpful. I'm sure that's too
> much trouble/expense for most tea retailers, though.

Not too much trouble - it's the expense that precludes accurate
caffeine listing.
A reputable US analytical house with a dedicated tea laboratory
charges $350 per caffeine measurement, and on contract will reduce to
$210 each per ten samples.
A typical tea retailer with 200 separate lines will purchase perhaps
an average of 20 lb of each line four times a year from maybe a dozen
different suppliers. That would necessitate 800 caffeine measurements
per year if he is to accurately list the caffeine content for each tea
he carries. The cost implication - of $168,000 per year - would
cripple most tea retailers, or if passed on to customers at cost would
be a $10.50 per lb price hike. Is caffeine information worth this much
to you?

Nigel at Teacraft

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 14, 1:06*pm, toci > wrote:
> I'm using the very last of my Assam fannings which have served me
> well. *Does anybody have a suggestion for replacement?
> Specifications: *black, malty, cheap, strong, otherwise non-nuanced.
> Not coffee. * * Toci

We use International Tea Importers's CTC BOP Assam is all our chai tea
blends.

It is the most popular grade of tea in India. It steeps a strong and
rich cup. Adding milk here is almost a necessity!

Ricardo
Founder of <a href="http://www.yogicchai.com">Yogic Chai Tea</a>

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Nigel > wrote:
>Not too much trouble - it's the expense that precludes accurate
>caffeine listing.
>A reputable US analytical house with a dedicated tea laboratory
>charges $350 per caffeine measurement, and on contract will reduce to
>$210 each per ten samples.
>A typical tea retailer with 200 separate lines will purchase perhaps
>an average of 20 lb of each line four times a year from maybe a dozen
>different suppliers. That would necessitate 800 caffeine measurements
>per year if he is to accurately list the caffeine content for each tea
>he carries. The cost implication - of $168,000 per year - would
>cripple most tea retailers, or if passed on to customers at cost would
>be a $10.50 per lb price hike. Is caffeine information worth this much
>to you?

These days it's expected that wineries and distilleries will have a
small analytical laboratory, at least enough to do run of the mill testing.
Now, I will admit that there's no simple titration test for xanthines, but
still it's something that you'd expect at least a big growers co-op to be
able to do on site.

A couple of years ago the folks at Wash U. were all agush about having
come out with a simple dipstick test for caffeine.... I am surprised that
nothing seems to have come out of that work yet.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 19, 12:50*am, Nigel > wrote:
> The cost implication - of $168,000 per year - would
> cripple most tea retailers, or if passed on to customers at cost would
> be a $10.50 per lb price hike. Is caffeine information worth this much
> to you?
>
> Nigel at Teacraft

Not to me. I just assume that all tea has caffeine and go from there.
If I want something without caffeine, I'll drink a tisane, water,
juice, etc. I haven't found a decaffeinated tea that is worth
drinking.

Alan
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 22, 8:21*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> These days it's expected that wineries and distilleries will have a
> small analytical laboratory, at least enough to do run of the mill testing.
> Now, I will admit that there's no simple titration test for xanthines, but
> still it's something that you'd expect at least a big growers co-op to be
> able to do on site.

Perhaps, when HPLCs drop substantially in price, and when more teas
are bulked or blended at source (less measurements per tonne). But
most 'interesting' teas are still from individual production that
varies from field to field and day to day amd not bulked and sold
through grower's co-ops.

> A couple of years ago the folks at Wash U. were all agush about having
> come out with a simple dipstick test for caffeine.... I am surprised that
> nothing seems to have come out of that work yet.

I remember the hype on this in 2006. It was an immunoassay test but
results were only qualitative - caffeine present or absent. Main
problem was that hot liquids destroy the antibody, so they found a
thermostable one from blood of llamas!

Nigel at Teacraft

This is how you should wake up! George Leppla General Cooking 42 14-01-2015 12:32 PM
a wake up call [email protected] Vegan 0 11-03-2012 06:35 AM
WAKE UP! Andy[_15_] General Cooking 10 31-08-2009 03:10 PM
Wake up rfc!!! Andy[_15_] General Cooking 14 17-03-2009 08:24 PM
WAKE UP YOU BUMS!!! Andy[_15_] General Cooking 18 30-12-2008 08:41 PM