Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Going to Taipei - where should I visit?

Can anyone recommend some teahouses or areas? I was thinking of going
to Maokong and taking the new gondola. Tieguanyin is grown there. I
have also heard of Wisteria Tea House. Any other recommendations? I'm
looking for tea as well as nicer quality guiwans and maybe an yixing
pot (I already have too many!). I will also be in Kaohsiung but I've
never found much there in the way of good teashops.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 4, 9:07*am, TokyoB > wrote:
> Can anyone recommend some teahouses or areas? I was thinking of going
> to Maokong and taking the new gondola. Tieguanyin is grown there. I
> have also heard of Wisteria Tea House. Any other recommendations? I'm
> looking for tea as well as nicer quality guiwans and maybe an yixing
> pot (I already have too many!). I will also be in Kaohsiung but I've
> never found much there in the way of good teashops.

if you are coming to taipei there are several old tea shops in the
same area
a little north of the taipei train station.
also we have a school Tea Studies Education
Certification Program(English) is for people serious about learning
tea for education or career related purposes. And is usually two days
with several different Tea Master Instructors and demonstrations, tea
tasting, brewing methodology, processing, classification, hands on
brewing, also handouts in Chinese/English.
listed in the lonley planet
http://teaarts.blogspot.com/2008/03/...and-teach.html

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

It depends how much time you have. Apart from Mucha (Maokong) which is
really good I find Taipei a great disappointment regarding good tea.
Yes, near the station there are a few places, if you can find them.
Almost all you find is glitzy shops selling pearl tea! If you can,
visit Pinglin about 40 km south of Taipei where they produce Pao-chung
tea (¥]ºØ¯ù paper-wrapped tea) and have a large tea museum, the largest
in Asia ( http://www.sinica.edu.tw/tit/museums/0397_Tea.html ). Lots
of good tea-sellers along the street there. For any serious purchase
of pottery / ceramics, take the train to Yingge (still in Taipei
county) and spend a few hours in the very large number of shops along
the street just beside the station (visit the ceramic museum, too
http://www.ceramics.tpc.gov.tw/en-us/Home.aspx ) In Kaohsiung there
are tea shops of quality, I was in one, but cannot find the address
now. Its near a small park in the center of town! Of course, with a
couple of days to spare you would take the train from Chiyai up
Alishan, where the region around 1000 meters produces High Mountain
Oolong in numerous plantations with a lot of families offering
accomodation in their homes. I was in Ruili and there are many other
such villages.

Bon Voyage
An
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

TokyoB wrote:
> Can anyone recommend some teahouses or areas? I was thinking of going
> to Maokong and taking the new gondola. Tieguanyin is grown there. I
> have also heard of Wisteria Tea House. Any other recommendations? I'm
> looking for tea as well as nicer quality guiwans and maybe an yixing
> pot (I already have too many!). I will also be in Kaohsiung but I've
> never found much there in the way of good teashops.

I would highly recommend a jaunt to Chiufen which is a lovely village on
the coast, not too far from Taipei, and is situated on a mountainside
facing the ocean. Tons of teahouses (and a wee bit touristy I have to
admit), and tremendous views. One of my favorite places to sip tea in an
incredible atmosphere, I wish I were there now....

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ ...><((((º>
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I found Maokong too touristy, but the Wisteria Tea House is highly
recommended. Excellent service, atmosphere, and gallery. Ten Ren
(Ten Fu) also operates a tea school in town which is worth visiting if
you can speak Chinese. If I'm not mistaken it also has a large cafe
area on the first floor.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

PS There is a little list of addresses for Taipei including telephone
numbers in the ChaDao blog http://chadao.blogspot.com/2007/06/s...basics-of.html
(the page is big, do a search for Taiwan)

Another site recommends the Luyu Tea Center, "upstairs of a Ten Ren
shop at 64 Hengyang Road," which I think is the place I have been to
between the station and Peace Park. Worth visiting . . .

An
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

<<Another site recommends the Luyu Tea Center, "upstairs of a Ten Ren
shop at 64 Hengyang Road," which I think is the place I have been to
between the station and Peace Park.>>

It is. That's the one I meant. Nice selection of tea books there for
sale as well.

A Visit Brooklyn1 General Cooking 21 06-12-2014 02:06 PM
Visit with the Mom Cindy Fuller General Cooking 2 18-04-2009 10:00 PM
visit [email protected] General Cooking 0 09-05-2007 04:00 PM
Visit limey General Cooking 14 02-03-2006 12:50 AM
japanese tea class in osaka and/or taipei petitesew Tea 3 04-03-2005 04:21 PM