FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   An Ji Bai Cha - low caffeine, easy on the stomach? Best sources thisyear? (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/157340-ji-bai-cha-low.html)

TokyoB 21-06-2008 11:33 PM

An Ji Bai Cha - low caffeine, easy on the stomach? Best sources thisyear?

Hello. Like others I seem to be sensitive to too much caffeine and
most greens, whether Chinese (like long jing), Japanese sencha or low
oxidized Taiwan oolongs, bother my stomach as well. When I explained
this to the folks at Seven Cups Tea they recommended the An Ji Bai
Cha. It was very good (but it is light!), slight sweetness, and seems
to be low in caffeine and doesn't bother my stomach. However their
(organic) pre-Qing Ming An Ji Bai Cha is about $30 for 25 grams. So,
has anyone else tried An Ji Bai Cha this year? If so, how was it and
where did you buy it from and what was the cost?

niisonge 22-06-2008 12:42 AM

An Ji Bai Cha - low caffeine, easy on the stomach? Best sourcesthis year?

> Hello. Like others I seem to be sensitive to too much caffeine and
> most greens, whether Chinese (like long jing), Japanese sencha or low
> oxidized Taiwan oolongs, bother my stomach as well.

If teas are bothering your stomach, you shouldn't drink tea. But if
you must, then maybe you could try just drinking a very weak infusion.
You could also try drinking plain boiled water instead of tea.

Rainy 22-06-2008 01:05 AM

uOn Jun 21, 6:33*pm, TokyoB > wrote:
> Hello. Like others I seem to be sensitive to too much caffeine and
> most greens, whether Chinese (like long jing), Japanese sencha or low
> oxidized Taiwan oolongs, bother my stomach as well.

How about white teas, in particular Pai Mutan and Silver Needles?

Dominic T. 22-06-2008 01:52 AM

On Jun 21, 6:33 pm, TokyoB > wrote:
> Hello. Like others I seem to be sensitive to too much caffeine and
> most greens, whether Chinese (like long jing), Japanese sencha or low
> oxidized Taiwan oolongs, bother my stomach as well. When I explained
> this to the folks at Seven Cups Tea they recommended the An Ji Bai
> Cha. It was very good (but it is light!), slight sweetness, and seems
> to be low in caffeine and doesn't bother my stomach. However their
> (organic) pre-Qing Ming An Ji Bai Cha is about $30 for 25 grams. So,
> has anyone else tried An Ji Bai Cha this year? If so, how was it and
> where did you buy it from and what was the cost?

Have you every tried a yellow tea? It has some of the characteristics
of a green tea while being lighter and I would imagine easier on the
guts. I'm sure it's no secret that I have quite an affinity for Huo
Shan Huang Ya and it might be worth a shot. My only other question
would be if you have tried different types of green tea, like a Bi Lo
chun (which is much lighter than most greens to me) or a Tai Ping Hou
Kui? Outside of that if you can hang with it, would be some Kuding Cha
which is a holly leaf and once you get past the bitterness (which may
be good for the stomach) it has a pleasant and sweet flavor.

- Dominic
http://teasphere.wordpress.com

juliantai[_3_] 22-06-2008 09:01 PM

On Jun 22, 1:52 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> On Jun 21, 6:33 pm, TokyoB > wrote:
>
> > Hello. Like others I seem to be sensitive to too much caffeine and
> > most greens, whether Chinese (like long jing), Japanese sencha or low
> > oxidized Taiwan oolongs, bother my stomach as well. When I explained
> > this to the folks at Seven Cups Tea they recommended the An Ji Bai
> > Cha. It was very good (but it is light!), slight sweetness, and seems
> > to be low in caffeine and doesn't bother my stomach. However their
> > (organic) pre-Qing Ming An Ji Bai Cha is about $30 for 25 grams. So,
> > has anyone else tried An Ji Bai Cha this year? If so, how was it and
> > where did you buy it from and what was the cost?

> Have you every tried a yellow tea? It has some of the characteristics
> of a green tea while being lighter and I would imagine easier on the
> guts. I'm sure it's no secret that I have quite an affinity for Huo
> Shan Huang Ya and it might be worth a shot. My only other question
> would be if you have tried different types of green tea, like a Bi Lo
> chun (which is much lighter than most greens to me) or a Tai Ping Hou
> Kui? Outside of that if you can hang with it, would be some Kuding Cha
> which is a holly leaf and once you get past the bitterness (which may
> be good for the stomach) it has a pleasant and sweet flavor.
>
> - Dominichttp://teasphere.wordpress.com

Anji Baicha has made quite a wave in China, and the bulk prices is
comparable or more to other high priced teas such as Xihu Longjing
etc.

I don't think it is low in caffeine, but more because it is high in
theanine, so in the same category as the white teas, but more cooked.

If price is an issue, I would suggest you try some other teas. If
green tea doesn' really work out, try some dark oolongs or herbal
teas. Alternatively, check up for more tips here ...

http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/gre...rritation.html

Hope it helps.

Julian
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com

TokyoB 22-06-2008 10:02 PM

On Jun 22, 4:01*pm, juliantai > wrote:
> On Jun 22, 1:52 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 21, 6:33 pm, TokyoB > wrote:

> > > Hello. Like others I seem to be sensitive to too much caffeine and
> > > most greens, whether Chinese (like long jing), Japanese sencha or low
> > > oxidized Taiwan oolongs, bother my stomach as well. When I explained
> > > this to the folks at Seven Cups Tea they recommended the An Ji Bai
> > > Cha. It was very good (but it is light!), slight sweetness, and seems
> > > to be low in caffeine and doesn't bother my stomach. *However their
> > > (organic) pre-Qing Ming An Ji Bai Cha is about $30 for 25 grams. *So,
> > > has anyone else tried An Ji Bai Cha this year? If so, how was it and
> > > where did you buy it from and what was the cost?

> > Have you every tried a yellow tea? It has some of the characteristics
> > of a green tea while being lighter and I would imagine easier on the
> > guts. I'm sure it's no secret that I have quite an affinity for Huo
> > Shan Huang Ya and it might be worth a shot. My only other question
> > would be if you have tried different types of green tea, like a Bi Lo
> > chun (which is much lighter than most greens to me) or a Tai Ping Hou
> > Kui? Outside of that if you can hang with it, would be some Kuding Cha
> > which is a holly leaf and once you get past the bitterness (which may
> > be good for the stomach) it has a pleasant and sweet flavor.

> > - Dominichttp://teasphere.wordpress.com

> Anji Baicha has made quite a wave in China, and the bulk prices is
> comparable or more to other high priced teas such as Xihu Longjing
> etc.
>
> I don't think it is low in caffeine, but more because it is high in
> theanine, so in the same category as the white teas, but more cooked.
>
> If price is an issue, I would suggest you try some other teas. If
> green tea doesn' really work out, try some dark oolongs or herbal
> teas. Alternatively, check up for more tips here ...
>
> http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/gre...gastric-irrita...
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> Julianhttp://www.amazing-green-tea.com

Thanks everyone for the tips. I do find that black teas and more
heavily roasted oolongs are pretty easy on the stomach. Teas which
get bitter easily (catechins and caffeine?) are a problem although
under certain conditions these seem to be ok.
Has anyone else tried An Ji Bai Cha this year? I did find it at Jing
Tea in the UK (www.jingtea.com) for a lower price. (Note that this is
not www.jingteashop.com)

SN 25-06-2008 07:43 PM

An Ji Bai Cha - low caffeine, easy on the stomach? Best sourcesthis year?

i'm curious what you mean by it "bothers your stomach" :
is it reflux - burning coming up your throat?
is your stomach/abdomen area have a deep burning sensation?
is it your stomach churning/moving?
is it nausea (like you're going to vomit)?
is it gas?

TokyoB 25-06-2008 09:46 PM

On Jun 25, 2:43*pm, SN > wrote:
> i'm curious what you mean by it "bothers your stomach" :
> is it reflux - burning coming up your throat?
> is your stomach/abdomen area have a deep burning sensation?
> is it your stomach churning/moving?
> is it nausea (like you're going to vomit)?
> is it gas?

I mean I get a burning sensation in my abdomen. It makes me feel like
I want to eat something. Eating usually makes it go away. I think the
teas that cause this the most are sencha's and Taiwan oolongs which
are very lightly oxidized. Heavily oxidized oolongs and black teas
cause this the least. For sencha's I think organic sencha's, which
seem lighter, cause this less. The teas that cause more of a burning
sensation also seem to cause more of a caffeine rush too. So, what
causes the burning? My guess is caffeine and cathecins.

niisonge 26-06-2008 02:31 AM

An Ji Bai Cha - low caffeine, easy on the stomach? Best sourcesthis year?

>So, what causes the burning?

Every person's physiology is different. And how each person reacts to
a particular tea will also be different. Some people won't be affected
while others will and have wei suan ($B0_;@(B); an acid stomach.

Sometimes it might be a particular type or category of tea that causes
it. But often times, it's a certain brand of tea that does it.
Switching brands solves the problem.
Sometimes, you need to eat, and have a full stomach, before you drink
tea, and this will solve the problem.

If you often get an acid stomach from tea, eat heartily before you
have a tea drinking session. Or maybe take some Tums or whatever.

Of course, if you suffer from stomach ulcers, then it's probably best
to avoid tea.

[email protected] 29-04-2017 09:32 AM

An Ji Bai Cha - low caffeine, easy on the stomach? Best sourcesthis year?

在 2008年6月22日星期日 UTC+8上午6:33:05,TokyoB写道:
> Hello. Like others I seem to be sensitive to too much caffeine and
> most greens, whether Chinese (like long jing), Japanese sencha or low
> oxidized Taiwan oolongs, bother my stomach as well. When I explained
> this to the folks at Seven Cups Tea they recommended the An Ji Bai
> Cha. It was very good (but it is light!), slight sweetness, and seems
> to be low in caffeine and doesn't bother my stomach. However their
> (organic) pre-Qing Ming An Ji Bai Cha is about $30 for 25 grams. So,
> has anyone else tried An Ji Bai Cha this year? If so, how was it and
> where did you buy it from and what was the cost?

$30 for 25 grams? That's so expensive. Mine is from JK Tea Shop, https://www.jkteashop.com/wildgrowin...0g-p-1058.html

Their Anji Bai Cha is with an extremely smooth mouth feel and rich "umami" or savory taste, and the price is reasonable. I also love their oolong teas.. Hope this helps.