Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Pesticide Poisoning : Symptoms and Antidotes

Dear friends, specially from planter community!

At times of emergency, we are short of information. With tonnes of
Agrochemicals being used in the Tea Plantations, the risk of poisoning
and its effects can be severe if not fatal. I have personally seen a
few cases as a planter and not all of them had happy ending.

This is a list of Symptoms and Antidotes of some common Agrochemicals
used in Tea Plantations. I sincerely hope the information will be
useful. This list is not exhaustive. May I request the members of this
group update more information and / or suggest websites where more
information may be available. In the meanwhile, I have posted the list
at http://teaunlimited.blogspot.com.

Thanks and Tea Cheers!

Alphamethrin: If ingested carry out gastric lavage with care to
prevent aspiration. Phenobarbital or diphenylhydentoin or their
mixture may be given. Inhalation could result in pneumpnia of chemical
origin. Treat symptomatically. Antihistamine may be given if allergic
symptoms occur. (Source:Rallis).

Azadirachtin: Symptomatic; If swallowed, induce vomiting,give gastric
lavage. Symptoms: Mild eye irritation, Reduced motor activity,
Diareeah.

Cartap Hydrochloride: I.V. Injection 100-200 mg. Of L- Cyoteine or
20-60mg. BAL ( dimercaprol ) or 2,3- Dimercapro Propanol.
Carbofuran: Atropine 2 mg. IM or subcutanous. Do not use Oxins like 2
PAM. (Source:Rallis).
Deltamethrin: Do not induce vomiting if ingested. Diazepam in case of
seizures and atropin in low dosage in case of hypercholinergy.
(source:Aventis).

Dicofol: Induce vomiting if ingested. Flush eyes. Gastric lavage with
warm water followed by following in a pint of warm water, Activated
charcoal 2 parts, magnesiumoxide 1 part and tannic acid 1 part. Treat
symptomatically.(Source:Rallis).

Ethofenprox: Symptomatic, Induce vomiting by tickling back of the
throat.
Fipronil: irritability, lethargy, muscle tremor and in extreme cases,
convulsions. Fresh air, artificial respiration, induce vomiting, wash
skin with soap and water, irrigate eyes, treat symptomatically. No
specific antidote.(Source:Rhone Poulenc).

Hexaconazole: Symptoms: nervousness, anxiety, convulsions and allergic
manifestations. Antidote: Induce vomiting with a glass of warm salt
water till the vomit is clear. Wash contaminated parts. Irrigate eye
with normal saline. If ingested give gatric lavage with care to
prevent aspiration. Treat symptomatically.(Source:Rallis).

Imidachloprid:Symptoms – Apathy, Myatonia, Tremor, Difficult
Breathing,Myospasms. If the product gets into the eyes, wash it out
with plenty of water. In poisoning measure blood pressure and pulse
rate frequently. Since bradycardia and drop in blood pressure may
occur, artificial breathing and heart action are recommended.
Eliminate the active ingredient through gastric lavage saline
laxatives.( Source: Rallis)

Phorate 10G: First Aid: Gastric Lavage 5% Sodium Bicarbonate. Wash.
1st.antidote: Atropine immediately and maintain full level of
atroprination with repeated doses of 2-3 mg. at 5-10 mts. For hours
together. Need for furthur atroprination indicated by symptoms. Upto
50 mg. may be required per day. 2nd.antidote:Administer 1-2 mg. of
2PAM diluted in 10cc of distilled water and inject intravenously very
slowly taking 10-15 minutes. (Source:Rallis).

Quinalphos: Atropine Sulphate. Atropinize immediately and maintain
full atroprinasation by repeated dose of 2-4 mg. at 5-10 minutes
interval untill continuance of symptoms. 2 PAM may also be given.
(Source:Indofil).
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sat, 31 May 2008 10:41:42 -0700 (PDT), teapandya
> [...]

>rate frequently. Since bradycardia and drop in blood pressure may
>occur, artificial breathing and heart action are recommended.
>Eliminate the active ingredient through gastric lavage saline
>laxatives.( Source: Rallis)
>
>Phorate 10G: First Aid: Gastric Lavage 5% Sodium Bicarbonate. Wash.
>1st.antidote: Atropine immediately and maintain full level of
>atroprination with repeated doses of 2-3 mg. at 5-10 mts. For hours
>together. Need for furthur atroprination indicated by symptoms. Upto
>50 mg. may be required per day. 2nd.antidote:Administer 1-2 mg. of
>2PAM diluted in 10cc of distilled water and inject intravenously very
>slowly taking 10-15 minutes. (Source:Rallis).
>
>Quinalphos: Atropine Sulphate. Atropinize immediately and maintain
>full atroprinasation by repeated dose of 2-4 mg. at 5-10 minutes
>interval untill continuance of symptoms. 2 PAM may also be given.

Can you advise if tea pesticide contamination can be adequately dealt
with in any practical way, such as by blanching tea for the famous 30
seconds?

Thanks for the heads up, bookburn.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

i highly suggest if you think you're "poisoned" by any toxic in tea to
go to an emergency room where doctors can recognize the symptoms,

most antidotes are not available to purchase over the counter

i wouldn't recommend either to do any gastric lavage at home where you
can pass out and the inhale liquids in your lung and ...die

activated charcoal is frequently used but it doesn't bind/absorb
pesticides, hydrocarbons, solvents (in general)

i also doubt very much you get any significant toxicity from drinking
tea... (its also been discussed here in detail)
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sat, 31 May 2008 13:41:21 -0700 (PDT), SN >
wrote:

>i highly suggest if you think you're "poisoned" by any toxic in tea to
>go to an emergency room where doctors can recognize the symptoms,
>
>most antidotes are not available to purchase over the counter
>
>i wouldn't recommend either to do any gastric lavage at home where you
>can pass out and the inhale liquids in your lung and ...die
>
>activated charcoal is frequently used but it doesn't bind/absorb
>pesticides, hydrocarbons, solvents (in general)
>
>i also doubt very much you get any significant toxicity from drinking
>tea... (its also been discussed here in detail)

If "tonnes of Agrochemicals being used in the Tea Plantations" don't
affect consumers using the leaves but mainly the planters exposed to
mixing and applying it, one wonders why "organic" tea is a marketable
product. bookburn
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On May 31, 6:55*pm, wrote:
> On Sat, 31 May 2008 13:41:21 -0700 (PDT), SN >
> wrote:
>
> >i highly suggest if you think you're "poisoned" by any toxic in tea to
> >go to an emergency room where doctors can recognize the symptoms,

> >most antidotes are not available to purchase over the counter

> >i wouldn't recommend either to do any gastric lavage at home where you
> >can pass out and the inhale liquids in your lung and ...die

> >activated charcoal is frequently used but it doesn't bind/absorb
> >pesticides, hydrocarbons, solvents (in general)

> >i also doubt very much you get any significant toxicity from drinking
> >tea... (its also been discussed here in detail)

> If "tonnes of Agrochemicals being used in the Tea Plantations" don't
> affect consumers using the leaves but mainly the planters exposed to
> mixing and applying it, one wonders why "organic" tea is a marketable
> product. *bookburn

I'm willing to buy organic if that benefits the tea workers. I don't
necessarily need to be poisoned myself. Toci

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 1, 5:01*am, toci > wrote:
> On May 31, 6:55*pm, wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 31 May 2008 13:41:21 -0700 (PDT), SN >
> > wrote:

> > >i highly suggest if you think you're "poisoned" by any toxic in tea to
> > >go to an emergency room where doctors can recognize the symptoms,

> > >most antidotes are not available to purchase over the counter

> > >i wouldn't recommend either to do any gastric lavage at home where you
> > >can pass out and the inhale liquids in your lung and ...die

> > >activated charcoal is frequently used but it doesn't bind/absorb
> > >pesticides, hydrocarbons, solvents (in general)

> > >i also doubt very much you get any significant toxicity from drinking
> > >tea... (its also been discussed here in detail)

> > If "tonnes of Agrochemicals being used in the Tea Plantations" don't
> > affect consumers using the leaves but mainly the planters exposed to
> > mixing and applying it, one wonders why "organic" tea is a marketable
> > product. *bookburn

> I'm willing to buy organic if that benefits the tea workers. *I don't
> necessarily need to be poisoned myself. * * Toci- Hide quoted text -

Dear Friends,

I am sorry if I have created a confusion, inadvertantly.
By my message, I specifically mean the risk that the TEA PLANTATION
WORKERS are exposed to.

Toci's observation is gallantary. The future is Organic, but its too
far away yet.

Many plantations in India are HACCP certified. The Tea Research
Association at Jorhat and UPASI in South India have very precise and
stringent guidelines on the use of pesticides and the harvesting
holiday to be observed following an application. The site
http://www.upasitearesearch.org/pesticide.html has more information
and links.

On a plantation, situations are far from ideal. Some do not have
hospitals, some do not have doctors and some do not have ambulances.
Pesticide related dermatological disorders are cured by a mixure of
tobacco and mustard oil. Those using it claim it works, but irony here
is that even experts take the claim at its face value, and no root
cause analysis is made.

Most of the pesticides are volatile in nature. They get diluted by the
vegetative growth on the bush, rain and/or irrigation, drying during
manufacture, storage following manufacture and finally during the
process of brewing. The end user, I am sure has nothing to worry, but
everything to enjoy.

Jayesh S Pandya.