Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default milan dancong taste bitter

need help with my milan dancong, recently bought some new dancong. but
when i brewed it taste bitter from 1st - 4 th infusions? am using
about half cup of my gaiwan. did i use too much leaves? previous
dancong i had didnt have much bitterness but this one has bitterness
and alot of throatiness.

does this mean it is a bad dancong?
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

i had some "cheap" mi lan dc that tasted like teabags if overinfused/
infused too many times,
and also had the "expensive" dc that was nice and flowery, but even
this one had some mild astringency...

depends on the leaf quality, how it was processed,

so you need to go play some more with it,
vary your water temperatures,
leaf quantity
(if its watery = not enough leaf or not enough time)

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On May 7, 7:05*am, Jazzy > wrote:
> need help with my milan dancong, recently bought some new dancong. but
> when i brewed it taste bitter from 1st - 4 th infusions? am using
> about half cup of my gaiwan. did i use *too much leaves? previous
> dancong i had didnt have much bitterness but this one has bitterness
> and alot of throatiness.

Have you tried cooler water?

Tomas

http://tuochatea.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

have tried playing with the temperature but somehow there' still some
bitterness. i dont know somehow i felt with cooler water i could not
get the nice orchid aroma..

maybe i should try very little leaves, cooler water but longer
infusion time..so far the bitterness has been a little harsh on me!
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
DPM DPM is offline

"Jazzy" > wrote in message
> have tried playing with the temperature but somehow there' still some
> bitterness. i dont know somehow i felt with cooler water i could not
> get the nice orchid aroma..
>
> maybe i should try very little leaves, cooler water but longer
> infusion time..so far the bitterness has been a little harsh on me!

Keep the first few infusions REALLY short. I use 190-200 F water, but the
first 2 or 3 infusions are in the 15-30 second range. I love these teas,
but they are very sensitive to brew time, in my experience.

HTH,
Dean

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"DPM" > writes:

> "Jazzy" > wrote in message
> > have tried playing with the temperature but somehow there' still some
> > bitterness. i dont know somehow i felt with cooler water i could not
> > get the nice orchid aroma..
> >
> > maybe i should try very little leaves, cooler water but longer
> > infusion time..so far the bitterness has been a little harsh on me!

> Keep the first few infusions REALLY short. I use 190-200 F water, but the
> first 2 or 3 infusions are in the 15-30 second range. I love these teas,
> but they are very sensitive to brew time, in my experience.

I agree. In fact, you might find that you pour off the liquor for
early steeps as soon as the brewing vessel is filled. This may sound
zany, but try it!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

thanks for all the tips!

i just read imen's blog on iced dancong maybe i should try that.

i wonder if i keep the tea a little longer it will be smoother and
less bitter?

counteracting bitter taste Barbara Clark General Cooking 4 04-03-2011 07:12 PM
Courgettes have a bitter taste sam coleridge General Cooking 10 11-12-2009 05:47 AM
Kukicha tasted like milan xiang dancong and da hong pao Jazzy[_2_] Tea 0 21-09-2007 03:50 PM
TN: Feng Huang Milan Dancong DPM Tea 12 31-05-2006 06:19 PM
Is beer supposed to taste bitter? asdf[_1_] Beer 13 31-03-2006 06:29 AM