Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Best Online Store for Chinese Teas (ship to US)?

What's your opinion of the many online stores selling Chinese teas? I
have used several with varying outcomes.

BTW, I'm new to this group and glad I found it. My primary interests
are Chinese reds (esp. qimen) and whites, but I'm very interested in
learning all about Indian teas, esp. darjeelings.

Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mar 4, 9:34*am, 5tein > wrote:
> What's your opinion of the many online stores selling Chinese teas? *I
> have used several with varying outcomes.
>
> BTW, I'm new to this group and glad I found it. My primary interests
> are Chinese reds (esp. qimen) and whites, but I'm very interested in
> learning all about Indian teas, esp. darjeelings.
>
> Thanks!

I like TeaSpring, Jing's and a few eBay vendors who are honorable and
send good tea at fair prices - Yunnan Sourcing, of course, and Dragon
Tea House, Awazon, and China Health (?).
I always have great experiences (fast, careful shipping etc) with
TeaSpring and Jing's. Oh, and Touchatea (for puerhs only).
Qimens from Jing's are superior, especially "gift" and "gung fu"
quality.
Shen
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

5tein > writes:

> What's your opinion of the many online stores selling Chinese teas? I
> have used several with varying outcomes.

I don't know how these teas compare to others [I would be interested in
some opinions] but a friend of a relative does this site, and I've liked
the tea I got from him.

http://www.littlemountaintea.com

--
Aaron Hsu > | Jabber:
``Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Shen wrote:
> On Mar 4, 9:34 am, 5tein > wrote:
>> What's your opinion of the many online stores selling Chinese teas? I
>> have used several with varying outcomes.
>>
>> BTW, I'm new to this group and glad I found it. My primary interests
>> are Chinese reds (esp. qimen) and whites, but I'm very interested in
>> learning all about Indian teas, esp. darjeelings.
>>
>> Thanks!

> I like TeaSpring, Jing's and a few eBay vendors who are honorable and
> send good tea at fair prices - Yunnan Sourcing, of course, and Dragon
> Tea House, Awazon, and China Health (?).
> I always have great experiences (fast, careful shipping etc) with
> TeaSpring and Jing's. Oh, and Touchatea (for puerhs only).
> Qimens from Jing's are superior, especially "gift" and "gung fu"
> quality.
> Shen

the touchatea website has some interesting items, but if you will pardon
me for sounding like a noob, I was always under the impression that tea
bricks were of fairly low quality. Is this not the case (i've tried a
few cups over the years and was wildly unimpressed). are there actually
pe erh bricks that are actually decent tea?

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ ...><((((º>
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I'm trying teaspring for the first time today. I've used Adagio,
TenRen's, and Jing's with generally favorable results, though I
believe TenRen erred by giving lower quality teas than what I ordered
twice.

I've never used Dragon Tea House. I've also heard that Seven Cups and
SpecialTeas are pretty good?

On Mar 4, 10:59 am, Shen > wrote:
> I like TeaSpring, Jing's and a few eBay vendors who are honorable and
> send good tea at fair prices - Yunnan Sourcing, of course, and Dragon
> Tea House, Awazon, and China Health (?).
> I always have great experiences (fast, careful shipping etc) with
> TeaSpring and Jing's. Oh, and Touchatea (for puerhs only).
> Qimens from Jing's are superior, especially "gift" and "gung fu"
> quality.
> Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mar 4, 11:15*am, Warren > wrote:
> Shen wrote:
> > On Mar 4, 9:34 am, 5tein > wrote:
> >> What's your opinion of the many online stores selling Chinese teas? *I
> >> have used several with varying outcomes.

> >> BTW, I'm new to this group and glad I found it. My primary interests
> >> are Chinese reds (esp. qimen) and whites, but I'm very interested in
> >> learning all about Indian teas, esp. darjeelings.

> >> Thanks!

> > I like TeaSpring, Jing's and a few eBay vendors who are honorable and
> > send good tea at fair prices - Yunnan Sourcing, of course, and Dragon
> > Tea House, Awazon, and China Health (?).
> > I always have great experiences (fast, careful shipping etc) with
> > TeaSpring and Jing's. Oh, and Touchatea (for puerhs only).
> > Qimens from Jing's are superior, especially "gift" and "gung fu"
> > quality.
> > Shen

> the touchatea website has some interesting items, but if you will pardon
> me for sounding like a noob, I was always under the impression that tea
> bricks were of fairly low quality. Is this not the case (i've tried a
> few cups over the years and was wildly unimpressed). are there actually
> pe erh bricks that are actually decent tea?
>
> --
> HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/The Sushi FAQ *...><((((º>
> HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/The Sushi Otaku Blog
> HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiyapedia/Sushi-Ya-Pedia Restaurant Finder
> HTTP://www.theteafaq.com/The Tea FAQ
> HTTP://www.jerkyfaq.com/The Jerky FAQ
> HTTP://www.omega3faq.com/The Omega 3 Fatty Acids FAQ- Hide quoted text -

Off-topic: No, no, no! It depends upon the tea - sheng, shu, where it
was manufactured and by whom, how old, how new! Go to www.pu-erh.net
Mike"s site will provide any info you need regarding pu-erh.
There are lots of criteria. Bricks are convenient, generally
economical and often just chock full of very, very good tea.
Shen
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mar 4, 11:03*am, Aaron Hsu > wrote:
> 5tein > writes:
> > What's your opinion of the many online stores selling Chinese teas? *I
> > have used several with varying outcomes.

> I don't know how these teas compare to others [I would be interested in
> some opinions] but a friend of a relative does this site, and I've liked
> the tea I got from him.
>
> http://www.littlemountaintea.com
>
> --
> Aaron Hsu > | Jabber:
> ``Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to
> live at the expense of everybody else.'' - Frederic Bastiat

Please do not post advertising SPAM here.
Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mar 4, 1:24*pm, 5tein > wrote:
> I'm trying teaspring for the first time today. I've used Adagio,
> TenRen's, and Jing's with generally favorable results, though I
> believe TenRen erred by giving lower quality teas than what I ordered
> twice.
>
> I've never used Dragon Tea House. *I've also heard that Seven Cups and
> SpecialTeas are pretty good?
>
> On Mar 4, 10:59 am, Shen > wrote:
>

> > I like TeaSpring, Jing's and a few eBay vendors who are honorable and
> > send good tea at fair prices - Yunnan Sourcing, of course, and Dragon
> > Tea House, Awazon, and China Health (?).
> > I always have great experiences (fast, careful shipping etc) with
> > TeaSpring and Jing's. Oh, and Touchatea (for puerhs only).
> > Qimens from Jing's are superior, especially "gift" and "gung fu"
> > quality.
> > Shen- Hide quoted text -

SpecialTeas are okay. I find Seven Cups expensive and Adagio the high
end of mediocre (in general). The shops I mentioned are all in China
and/or Taiwan. HoudeAsian has predictably excellent teas. Guang is in
Texas.
Happy sipping!
Shen
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Shen > writes:

> On Mar 4, 11:03*am, Aaron Hsu > wrote:
>> 5tein > writes:
>> > What's your opinion of the many online stores selling Chinese teas? *I
>> > have used several with varying outcomes.

>> I don't know how these teas compare to others [I would be interested in
>> some opinions] but a friend of a relative does this site, and I've liked
>> the tea I got from him.
>>
>> http://www.littlemountaintea.com

> Please do not post advertising SPAM here.

I'm sorry, I had no intention of posting spam, but wasn't the OP
requesting opinions about various online stores selling teas? I thought
it was only natural to link to the particular store that I favored. I
guess, in looking at the other stores that people have mentioned, they
did not provide links. Is it better to not give links to particular
sites even when referencing those sites in these discussions? It seems
that this would be a good way to get people confused about what
particular store they are discussing.

Again, I apologize for any trouble.

--
Aaron Hsu > | Jabber:
``Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to
live at the expense of everybody else.'' - Frederic Bastiat
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mar 4, 8:13 pm, Aaron Hsu > wrote:
> Shen > writes:

> >> I don't know how these teas compare to others [I would be interested in
> >> some opinions] but a friend of a relative does this site, and I've liked
> >> the tea I got from him.

> >>http://www.littlemountaintea.com

> > Please do not post advertising SPAM here.

> I'm sorry, I had no intention of posting spam, but wasn't the OP
> requesting opinions about various online stores selling teas? I thought
> it was only natural to link to the particular store that I favored. I
> guess, in looking at the other stores that people have mentioned, they
> did not provide links. Is it better to not give links to particular
> sites even when referencing those sites in these discussions? It seems
> that this would be a good way to get people confused about what
> particular store they are discussing.
>
> Again, I apologize for any trouble.
>
> --
> Aaron Hsu > | Jabber:
> ``Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to
> live at the expense of everybody else.'' - Frederic Bastiat

No apology needed IMHO I think your reply was fine in reference to the
topic. I actually had never heard of Little Mountain before but I'd
maybe try a couple offerings. The quality is a bit tough to tell from
just the site but it seems in line with the pricing.

I actually prefer a link rather than just a name since it saves me a
step or two. I'd say no harm no foul, no worries

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mar 4, 5:13*pm, Aaron Hsu > wrote:
> Shen > writes:

> >> I don't know how these teas compare to others [I would be interested in
> >> some opinions] but a friend of a relative does this site, and I've liked
> >> the tea I got from him.

> >>http://www.littlemountaintea.com

> > Please do not post advertising SPAM here.

> I'm sorry, I had no intention of posting spam, but wasn't the OP
> requesting opinions about various online stores selling teas? I thought
> it was only natural to link to the particular store that I favored. I
> guess, in looking at the other stores that people have mentioned, they
> did not provide links. Is it better to not give links to particular
> sites even when referencing those sites in these discussions? It seems
> that this would be a good way to get people confused about what
> particular store they are discussing.
>
> Again, I apologize for any trouble.
>
> --
> Aaron Hsu > | Jabber:
> ``Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to
> live at the expense of everybody else.'' - Frederic Bastiat

It's okay. It just seemed odd that you have never or infrequently
posted and then there is a refernce to a "friend of a relative". Very
often this list is mistaken for an advertising site, rather than a
recommendation and discussion site.
No problem.
Shen
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mar 4, 4:56 pm, Shen > wrote:
> On Mar 4, 1:24 pm, 5tein > wrote:
>
> SpecialTeas are okay. I find Seven Cups expensive and Adagio the high
> end of mediocre (in general). The shops I mentioned are all in China
> and/or Taiwan. HoudeAsian has predictably excellent teas. Guang is in
> Texas.
> Happy sipping!
> Shen

I have liked Adagio's white teas, though never thought their black/red
teas compared to stuff I'd get even from TenRen. I just placed an
order with Jing's--great prices, but high shipping.

On a slightly unrelated note, my colleague is interested in green
teas--actually the Chinese tea I know _least_ about, and I started
talking about some basics, and it reminded me that I purchased some
fabulous tea near Lu Shan, Jiangxi province. The English translation
was Cloud Mist tea (my Chinese is rusty--yun wu?). I'm 99% sure it was
a green, though the flavor was similar to some whites I've enjoyed.
Anyone know of this tea or similar varieties?
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Shen > writes:

> On Mar 4, 5:13*pm, Aaron Hsu > wrote:
>> Shen > writes:

>> > Please do not post advertising SPAM here.

>> I'm sorry, I had no intention of posting spam

> It's okay. It just seemed odd that you have never or infrequently
> posted and then there is a refernce to a "friend of a relative". Very
> often this list is mistaken for an advertising site, rather than a
> recommendation and discussion site.

Oh, I see. Haha. No no. I just lurk around a lot because I really don't
know enough of the terminology and general types of teas to make it
useful contributions. Actually, I just ordered my first set of Pu Ers
from Little Mountain, and I'm going to see how it goes.

As to the reference, this literally is a friend of a relative. He
apparently started getting into the Tea business once he was
introduced to it a bit back. So, he saves up, goes to China and other
places to learn about teas and find interesting stuff, and so on.

--
Aaron Hsu > | Jabber:
``Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to
live at the expense of everybody else.'' - Frederic Bastiat
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

[Alton] "I have an existing order from Teaspring; and I have been
waiting now 8
> business days for standard delivery (I know it is from Calif, but it is
> getting to be too long of wait for me to consider this good service, but
> it is only my first order from them)."

The tea from TeaSpring will not travel to you from California. It
will arrive from Guangzhou. All teas sent standard delivery from
China require more than eight days.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mar 5, 7:03 am, Grasshopper > wrote:
> [Alton] "I have an existing order from Teaspring; and I have been
> waiting now 8
>
> > business days for standard delivery (I know it is from Calif, but it is
> > getting to be too long of wait for me to consider this good service, but
> > it is only my first order from them)."

> The tea from TeaSpring will not travel to you from California. It
> will arrive from Guangzhou. All teas sent standard delivery from
> China require more than eight days.

For Puerh, I love the Puerh Shop!

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mar 5, 3:47*am, "Alton B. Wilson" > wrote:
> I have placed about eight online orders over the last 5 years. *Probably
> 3 through Adagio, 2 through Upton, 1 Teaspring, 1 Generation Tea and 1
> through Green Tea Store.
>
> Based only on service, speed of delivery and website I would say my best
> experience has been with Adagio and Upton. *The delivery speed of Adagio
> and Upton is fast and the communication is good, using their "standard
> delivery" (ordered from both on a Sunday afternoon, minutes apart and
> received the samples 3 business days later within hours apart. *(My
> shipping location is southwest Ohio) Upton's website is good for
> information on tea.
>
> I have an existing order from Teaspring; and I have been waiting now 8
> business days for standard delivery (I know it is from Calif, but it is
> getting to be too long of wait for me to consider this good service, but
> it is only my first order from them).
>
> I don't think Adagio has a lot of Chinese reds, but they do have a few
> whites and darjeelings. *I think you will have better luck with your
> selection if you try Upton (http://www.uptontea.com/) [ TO KEEP THE
> THREAD POLICE HAPPY, THIS IS NOT A SCAM ]
>
> Alton
>

> 5tein wrote:
> > What's your opinion of the many online stores selling Chinese teas? *I
> > have used several with varying outcomes.

> > BTW, I'm new to this group and glad I found it. My primary interests
> > are Chinese reds (esp. qimen) and whites, but I'm very interested in
> > learning all about Indian teas, esp. darjeelings.

> > Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

TeaSpring is extremely reliable and, in general, really good tea for
the price.
I order from them frequently and can vouch for the quality. I am in
California and their tea arrives, most often, in two weeks. They know
their tea and strive for top quality and the shipping is extremely
reasonable. Adagio, in my opinion, is just over-priced for very
ordinary tea. Upton is great, especially for "English" tea drinkers. I
just prefer the variety available in the Chinese tea businesses.
Sebastien at Jing's will "special order" for you anything you prefer.
In regard to "thread police", I have only been on this board a little
more than two years; but, during that time, many folks have post to
advertise what is generally a pretty lousy selection of over-priced
junk - everything from cracked "antique" phony-baloney teapots to pu-
erh made to look aged.
It's just my suspicious nature - I'm one of those who tends to
question authority. Anyway, this guy obviously meant no harm nor had
covert attentions. Enough said.
Shen
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Clouds & Mist (was: Best Online Store for Chinese Teas (ship to US)?)

5tein > writes:

> [...]
> On a slightly unrelated note, my colleague is interested in green
> teas--actually the Chinese tea I know _least_ about, and I started
> talking about some basics, and it reminded me that I purchased some
> fabulous tea near Lu Shan, Jiangxi province. The English translation
> was Cloud Mist tea (my Chinese is rusty--yun wu?).

Yes, Yun Wu sounds right. But it names a class of teas rather than one
particular one.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mar 4, 9:37*pm, 5tein > wrote:
> On Mar 4, 4:56 pm, Shen > wrote:
>
> > On Mar 4, 1:24 pm, 5tein > wrote:

> > SpecialTeas are okay. I find Seven Cups expensive and Adagio the high
> > end of mediocre (in general). The shops I mentioned are all in China
> > and/or Taiwan. HoudeAsian has predictably excellent teas. Guang is in
> > Texas.
> > Happy sipping!
> > Shen

> I have liked Adagio's white teas, though never thought their black/red
> teas compared to stuff I'd get even from TenRen. *I just placed an
> order with Jing's--great prices, but high shipping.
>
> On a slightly unrelated note, my colleague is interested in green
> teas--actually the Chinese tea I know _least_ about, and I started
> talking about some basics, and it reminded me that I purchased some
> fabulous tea near Lu Shan, Jiangxi province. *The English translation
> was Cloud Mist tea (my Chinese is rusty--yun wu?). I'm 99% sure it was
> a green, though the flavor was similar to some whites I've enjoyed.
> Anyone know of this tea or similar varieties?

From what I understand from my Chinese friends, Clouds and Mist is,
indeed, Yun Wu from Zhejiang and should be available in April.
Actually, the most lovely C&M I've had was from Imperial Tea Court - a
little higher, but worth it.
Shen
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Shen wrote:
> On Mar 4, 11:15 am, Warren > wrote:
>> Shen wrote:
>>> I like TeaSpring, Jing's and a few eBay vendors who are honorable and
>>> send good tea at fair prices - Yunnan Sourcing, of course, and Dragon
>>> Tea House, Awazon, and China Health (?).
>>> I always have great experiences (fast, careful shipping etc) with
>>> TeaSpring and Jing's. Oh, and Touchatea (for puerhs only).
>>> Qimens from Jing's are superior, especially "gift" and "gung fu"
>>> quality.
>>> Shen

>> the touchatea website has some interesting items, but if you will pardon
>> me for sounding like a noob, I was always under the impression that tea
>> bricks were of fairly low quality. Is this not the case (i've tried a
>> few cups over the years and was wildly unimpressed). are there actually
>> pe erh bricks that are actually decent tea?
>>
>> --
>> HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/The Sushi FAQ ...><((((º>
>> HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/The Sushi Otaku Blog
>> HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiyapedia/Sushi-Ya-Pedia Restaurant Finder
>> HTTP://www.theteafaq.com/The Tea FAQ
>> HTTP://www.jerkyfaq.com/The Jerky FAQ
>> HTTP://www.omega3faq.com/The Omega 3 Fatty Acids FAQ- Hide quoted text -

> Off-topic: No, no, no! It depends upon the tea - sheng, shu, where it
> was manufactured and by whom, how old, how new! Go to www.pu-erh.net
> Mike"s site will provide any info you need regarding pu-erh.
> There are lots of criteria. Bricks are convenient, generally
> economical and often just chock full of very, very good tea.
> Shen

Very interesting website, thanks for the link and the response

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ ...><((((º>
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiyapedia/ Sushi-Ya-Pedia Restaurant Finder
HTTP://www.theteafaq.com/ The Tea FAQ
HTTP://www.jerkyfaq.com/ The Jerky FAQ
HTTP://www.omega3faq.com/ The Omega 3 Fatty Acids FAQ
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mar 5, 8:04 pm, "Alton B. Wilson" > wrote:
> Shen,
>
> Thanks for the good words about Teaspring. I didn't think that maybe
> the tea was coming from afar.
>
> I guess I have been on a journey from Celestial Seasons, to Tazo, to
> Adagio, to Upton and now moving more towards green and Oolong from more
> "boutique" suppliers, if I can use that term, meant in the best way.
>
> I am waiting on:
>
> Feng Huang Dan Cong
> Shui Xian
> Jade Tie Guan Yin
> Bi Tan Lan Xue
> Pu Ti Cha
>
> Right now, I am buying a lot of small sample packs to try to find out
> what I like and what I don't.
>
> Do you use the same type of tea pot for all of your teas? Do you use
> any type of special water for your tea? I had a guy at a Sears store
> try to sell me a reverse osmosis system, saying that he was a tea
> drinker and that it made a big difference in taste.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alton

Hey Alton,

This may be a great topic to start a new thread rather than buried in
this one as it is a valid question and I'm sure will get some
conversation started. (at least I'd take it on

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Was Best Chinese Tea Dealers etc - Some Teaspring Offerings

On Mar 5, 5:51*pm, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> On Mar 5, 8:04 pm, "Alton B. Wilson" > wrote:
>

> > Shen,

> > Thanks for the good words about Teaspring. *I didn't think that maybe
> > the tea was coming from afar.

> > I guess I have been on a journey from Celestial Seasons, to Tazo, to
> > Adagio, to Upton and now moving more towards green and Oolong from more
> > "boutique" suppliers, if I can use that term, meant in the best way.

> > I am waiting on:

> > Feng Huang Dan Cong
> > Shui Xian
> > Jade Tie Guan Yin
> > Bi Tan Lan Xue
> > Pu Ti Cha

> > Right now, I am buying a lot of small sample packs to try to find out
> > what I like and what I don't.

> > Do you use the same type of tea pot for all of your teas? *Do you use
> > any type of special water for your tea? *I had a guy at a Sears store
> > try to sell me a reverse osmosis system, saying that he was a tea
> > drinker and that it made a big difference in taste.

> > Regards,

> > Alton

> Hey Alton,
>
> This may be a great topic to start a new thread rather than buried in
> this one as it is a valid question and I'm sure will get some
> conversation started. (at least I'd take it on
>
> - Dominic- Hide quoted text -

Agreeing with Dominic - A new topic.
Wow! I've just had the 3 of the teas on your list. I left remarks on
the site. The Pu Ti Cha is extrodinary. I'm sure you'll enjoy it! A
very special, special tea. The Shui Xian is a great buy. Very, very
flavourful and tenacious for the price. Hardly a "Chinese restaurant
tea".
Shen