Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Korean, Japanese, Chinese Tea Ceremonies

Hello! I am a student at the University of Washington studying
Chado. I want to write a paper on comparing and contrasting Korean,
Japanese and Chinese tea ceremonies but am having trouble locating
books for Korean tea.

Please post titles and authors if you know of any good books! Also, I
am not at all knowledgeable about tea so easy-reads are preferred
although any help is appreciated! =]

Thank you
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Feb 29, 10:18 am, wrote:
> Hello! I am a student at the University of Washington studying
> Chado. I want to write a paper on comparing and contrasting Korean,
> Japanese and Chinese tea ceremonies but am having trouble locating
> books for Korean tea.
>
> Please post titles and authors if you know of any good books! Also, I
> am not at all knowledgeable about tea so easy-reads are preferred
> although any help is appreciated! =]
>
> Thank you

If you are searching for "Chado" to find Korean tea ceremony that will
be the first issue, try searching and reading up on "Panyaro." It will
be a tough find but ISBN: 8991913172 (The Korean Way of Tea) may be
all you need. Also a good jumping off point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_tea_ceremony

Korean tea is comprised mainly of greens and some Oolongs and as for
my close Korean friends only greens.

- Dominic

P.S. Even though it isn't necessary for your paper, you may be very
well served by finding a local tea shop or location where you can
experience the real thing in person regardless of what country of
origin. Also Okakura's The Book of Tea is a foundational book and
available cheaply or free online. Youtube is also a friend for
watching it be performed to some extent.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 07:18:13 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>Hello! I am a student at the University of Washington studying
>Chado. I want to write a paper on comparing and contrasting Korean,
>Japanese and Chinese tea ceremonies but am having trouble locating
>books for Korean tea.
>
>Please post titles and authors if you know of any good books! Also, I
>am not at all knowledgeable about tea so easy-reads are preferred
>although any help is appreciated! =]
>
>Thank you

Search Results Go back to search history

Search: tea ceremony Korea
Category: The Web
Matches: 40 results Date: 2/29/2008
Search mode: All the words
Sorted by: Score descending

Displaying results 1-25 of 40

Korean tea ceremony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Korean tea ceremony or darye is a traditional form of tea ceremony
practiced in Korea. Darye literally refers to "etiquette for tea" or
"day tea rite" ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_tea_ceremony - 94%
Result found by: CompuServe, Yahoo!, FAST Search (alltheweb.com),
Netscape Netcenter, AOL Search, AltaVista, Live Search

Globaled: South Korea The Tea Ceremony
.... about tea. There is always a plant on the floor). An outline of
the tea ceremony: The tea ceremony begins with ...
cspace.unb.ca/nbco/globaled/skorea/act13a.html - 87%
Result found by: Lycos, Ask.com

Korean Si-je: Annual worship of ancestors
An explanation of the burial mounds that can be seen around Korea and
the ceremony on traditional annual family visits to the graves.
www.maxuk.net/mt/archives/000020.html - 85%
Result found by: Open Directory Project

Korean Tea sets and Tea ceremony
.... the tea ceremony as a form of meditation, as it was in China and
Japan. The idea that the tea ceremony was a ...
www.asiarecipe.com/kortea.html - 85%
Result found by: Yahoo!, Lycos, AltaVista, Ask.com, Live Search

Korean Tea: The Korean Way of Tea
Tea ceremony and Panyaro - The Korean Way of Tea. Tea ceremony. The
tea ceremony, or chanoyu, is an aesthetic pastime unique to Japan that
features the ...
www.easterntea.com/tea/panyaro.htm - 84%
Result found by: CompuServe, Netscape Netcenter, AOL Search, Live

International Wu-Wo Tea Ceremony kicks off in Korea | Korea.net News
Korean culture, News on Korean festivals, drama, movie, sports and
events ... Wu-Wo Tea Ceremony in Korea, The Iksan International Tea
Culture Festival will ...
www.korea.net/news/news/newsView.asp - 83%
Result found by: Yahoo!, FAST Search (alltheweb.com), AltaVista

Tea ceremony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chinese tea culture. Gongfu tea ceremony; Perennial tea ceremony;
Wu-Wo tea ceremony; Japanese tea ceremony; Korean tea ceremony;
Taiwanese tea culture
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_ceremony - 78%
Result found by: Live Search

KCCLA: Korean Tea Ceremony Class
:The Korean Tea Ceremony or DaDo (The Way of Tea) is a time-honored institution that is rooted in Korean tradition. It was founded on the basis of adoration ...
www.kccla.org/html/class_teadetail.asp - 76%
Result found by: CompuServe, Netscape Netcenter, AOL Search

Korea: The Other Tea Country
The story of tea and accompanying ceremonies in Korea. ... Korea which
is only now beginning to appreciate its tea and tea ceremonies and ...
www.teamuse.com/article_020601.html - 76%
Result found by: Yahoo!, FAST Search (alltheweb.com), AltaVista

International Wu-Wo Tea Ceremony kicks off in Korea | Korea.net News
International Wu-Wo Tea Ceremony. To commemorate the commencement of
the Wu-Wo Tea Ceremony in Korea, The Iksan International Tea Culture
www.korea.net/News/News/NewsView.asp - 74%
Result found by: Lycos, Ask.com

Tea and the Tea Ceremony
Offering the finest selection of Korean Celadon Pottery, Lacquered and
Music ... first recorded tea ceremony was held in China about 800AD
but in Korea the first ...
http://www.korean-arts.com/about/tea...ceremonies.htm - 73%
Result found by: CompuServe, Yahoo!, FAST Search (alltheweb.com),
Netscape Netcenter, AOL Search, AltaVista

International Wu-Wo Tea Ceremony kicks off in Korea | Korea.net News
Korean culture, News on Korean festivals, drama, movie, sports and
events ... International Wu-Wo Tea Ceremony, one of the world's most
renowned international tea ceremonies, will ...
www.korea.net/news/news/NewsView.asp - 72%
Result found by: Live Search

Korean Tea Ceremony
The Korean tea ceremony is a unique form of Tea Ceremony practiced in
Korea for more than a thousand years. The Korean tea ceremony drew its
http://www.seattleluxury.com/encyclo...n_tea_ceremony - 68%
Result found by: Lycos, Ask.com

YouTube - KOREAN TEA CEREMONY - Simple Demo
A glimpse at an age-old tradition, richly steeped in history,
philosophy, and cultural heritage -- The Art of Korean Tea Ceremony.
This video demonstrates t ...
www.youtube.com/watch - 68%
Result found by: CompuServe, AOL Search

UK Tea Council : Tea 4 Schools : Korean Tea Ceremonies
Tea ceremonies were first held in Korea more than a thousand years
ago. ... From 1392-1910, tea ceremonies were performed regularly at
palaces in Korea. ...
www.tea.co.uk/index.php - 66%
Result found by: Yahoo!, FAST Search (alltheweb.com), Netscape
Netcenter, AOL Search, AltaVista

Korea's green tea thrives at Boseong| Korea.net News
Korea travel information, tour news, visit beautiful place of Korea
and korea ... are cultural performances, tea drinking ceremony
demonstrations, and you can ...
www.korea.net/news/news/newsView.asp - 65%
Result found by: FAST Search (alltheweb.com)

YouTube - KOREAN TEA CEREMONY - Simple Demo
A glimpse at an age-old tradition, richly steeped in history,
philosophy, and cultural heritage - The Art of Korean Tea Ceremony.
This video demonstrates t ...
www.youtube.com/watch - 65%
Result found by: Netscape Netcenter

Korean Tea Ceremony | Tea Infusion
The Korean tea ceremony has been practised for over a thousand years.
Learn about the history, tea and equipment used in this unique tea
ritual.
http://www.teainfusion.com/culture/k...-ceremony.html - 63%
Result found by: CompuServe, Netscape Netcenter, AOL Search

The Tea Ceremony as Melting Pot
.... the tea ceremony. The search for new utensils among imported goods
contributed greatly to the tea ceremony's ...
http://www.asia.si.edu/exhibitions/c...eaCeremony.htm - 63%
Result found by: Lycos, FAST Search (alltheweb.com), Ask.com

YouTube - Korean Tea Ceremony
A Korean tea ceremony at Kunsan University in South Korea.
www.youtube.com/watch - 63%
Result found by: CompuServe, Yahoo!, AltaVista

Displaying results 1-25 of 40 Next Page

Report generated by Copernic Agent - See downloadable products at
http://www.copernic.com/

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I am rather unhappy that all that searching did not apparently lead to
my quite well developed Korean Way of Tea pages (index at
http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/kortea.htm ) where the top item is
the book which I and a friend who is Korean tea master published last
year in Seoul: "The Korean Way of Tea" (Seoul Selection, Seoul, 2007
see http://www.seoulselection.com/ ). This is the only book written
in English devoted to Korean green tea, so far as I know, and it
covers the drying as well as the brewing processes. In addition, I
provide translations of some Korean tea poems, summarize the history
of tea in both China and in Korea, and evoke the arrival of tea in
Europe before concluding on some thoughts as to the relevance of the
"Korean Way of Tea" in today's world.

Most of the contents of the book are taken from my home page (the East
Tea and Wikipedia descriptions of Panyaro are taken from there).

It might be worth discussing the usefulness of the term 'tea ceremony'
which I think derives from the Japanese ritualized versions of 'doing
tea' familiar in China and Korea. In Korea there has been a recent
tendency to develop 'performance tea' where one te master or a group
do a formalized serving of tea on a stage while tea music is
performed.

I would be very happy to provide more information if it is needed
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mar 1, 3:45 am, An Sonjae > wrote:
> I am rather unhappy that all that searching did not apparently lead to
> my quite well developed Korean Way of Tea pages (index athttp://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/kortea.htm) where the top item is
> the book which I and a friend who is Korean tea master published last
> year in Seoul: "The Korean Way of Tea" (Seoul Selection, Seoul, 2007
> seehttp://www.seoulselection.com/ ).

Hello,

Actually my initial reply lists it "ISBN: 8991913172 (The Korean Way
of Tea) may be
all you need." and as I had stated it is most likely all one would
need for a basic paper that requires only a couple sources. I own your
book and it is an enjoyable read, a number of my Korean friends have
borrowed it. It's a pleasure to know you hang around here... and any
and all Korean tea info and talk would be welcome as it is an area not
much discussed here.

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Ai Ai is offline

On Mar 1, 12:45 am, An Sonjae > wrote:

> It might be worth discussing the usefulness of the term 'tea ceremony'
> which I think derives from the Japanese ritualized versions of 'doing
> tea' familiar in China and Korea. In Korea there has been a recent
> tendency to develop 'performance tea' where one the master or a group
> do a formalized serving of tea on a stage while tea music is
> performed.
>
> I would be very happy to provide more information if it is needed

Hello Sonjae,

Thank you for your help! Why do you think Korean 'tea performance' is
beginning to have formalized serving of tea? (what do you think this
says about today's Korean culture). What is tea music?

Also, I would like to know more about you. Are you a tea master?
Where do you get your ideas, etc?

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

The development of what I call 'performance tea' in Korea might
possibly be inspired in part by recent Japanese examples of tea
ceremony done in a public setting (international gatherings, cultural
festivals etc) instead of a tiny temple tea-room, I do not know.
Certainly Chae Won-Hwa, the head of the Panyaro Institute and the
inheritor of the Ven Hyodang's tea tradition, has always included an
'on-stage' presentation of the formalized 'tea ceremony' she teaches
in the final graduation ceremonies, first done by those who are
graduating, then in a more intensely meditative manner by herself
alone. This last was really impressive, the more so for being at the
time (10 years ago) quite unique.

After seeing her, one Korean had the idea of inviting some major
contemporary composers to compose 'tea music' -- pieces that could be
played while she and other tea masters were performing their
particular form of tea. Such 'tea music' has existed for longer in
China (and Japan too I expect) and it was probably CDs of tea music
brought from China that may have given the idea. There have been
occasional concerts where these pieces were performed live while tea-
people did their thing at the front of the stage. These have now
become rare because the musicians felt they were being upstaged by the
tea people, who seemed to get most of the applause. (Really!)

Many Korean tea masters (not Panyaro) do the performance with 2-3
'guests' to whom tea is served, everyone being dressed up in rather
showy traditional Korean costumes. Part of the motivation for such
performance tea might be the way, in the modern world, traditional
culture tends to be reduced to little clips in performances organized
during 'cultural festivals' whether for tourists in-country or as a
national promotion overseas. I confess that I find performance tea
boring unless the person doing it has a very special charisma, which
few do, but for those seeing it for the first time, it often
impresses. At least, it serves to remind dozens or even hundreds of
people that Korean tea exists, whereas it is not possible to serve tea
properly to a crowd that size in such a way that the real qualities
come across.

I would assert that China did not until very recently have any kind of
'tea ceremony' -- everyone was too busy drinking tea! Nowadays tourism
is a big thing in China too, and international tea-exchanges with
Japan and Korea have prompted some Chinese tea-people to formalize a
kind of Chinese performance-tea on the basis of the way they usually
drink tea, only done more slowly as a show.

I, like every other tea drinker, learn my tea above all by drinking
it. I am an honorary graduate of the Panyaro Institute, so you could
consider me a tea master but I don't. I am a tea learner like the rest
of us.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

An Sonjae > writes:

> [...Interesting account of how the Korean ceremony developed...]
>
> I, like every other tea drinker, learn my tea above all by drinking
> it. I am an honorary graduate of the Panyaro Institute, so you could
> consider me a tea master but I don't. I am a tea learner like the rest
> of us.

That's why we're here. Thanks for this!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hello,

Firstly, I would like to thank An Sonjae for writting such an
important book about Korean Tea. Recomended for anyone who is curious
about Korean Tea!

Secondly, there is also a recently published book called The Korean
Book of Tea ISBN-13: 978-8995502129 in Sept, 2007.

Thirdly, check out a new Korean Tea blog at www.mattchasblog.blogspot.com
I will continuously be exploring all that is Korean tea as well as so
much more.

Forthy, PEACE.

Matt
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Ai Ai is offline

Does anyone know about Korean tea houses. What activities go on
inside? Where can I get some info online about this??

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hello, I am sorry but your question is not really very clear. It would
be very helpful if you could explain in greater detail what you are
asking about. Many people know quite a lot about about Korean tea
houses and we mostly believe that the main activity that goes on
inside them involves brewing and drinking various kinds of tea. In
Korea, and elsewhere too, Korean tea houses usually serve a variety of
Korean green teas, some Chinese Oolong and Puerh teas, and a selection
of fruit-based or herbal teas. http://franchia.com/franchia/index.html
is a link to Franchia, a Korean tea house in New York that gives you a
fairly full set of pictures of their interior etc but it is hardly
typical of the 'traditional Korean tea houses' that you would find in
Korea. My online tea pages http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/kortea.htm
do not much talk about tea houses but might be of interest.

Br Anthony (An Sonjae)